Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dan Nelson

Real Name Dan Nelson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Genesys
Email dnelson_1901@yahoo.com
ICQ None given.
Description Worth a million in prizes
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2010, 06:51
Total Comments 97 (Suspect)
User ID 55658

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 11, 2013, 20:08 Genesys

nin wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 09:27:
Anyone else see "Blade Runner" and their hearts skip a beat?
Unfortunately, the Wesley Snipes "Blade" movies came to mind for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2013, 21:12 Genesys

Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 11:32:
But it's the second one that's the real doozy. USB 3.0!

There isn't a single external device out there that maxes a USB 2.0 bus. None. So all USB 3.0 is is a buzzword.

The last reason, security, is really the only reason people SHOULD upgrade. Although it is quite amusing that after 11 years of patching, Windows XP is still leaky as a sieve where security is concerned. God, how terrible was it when it first came out?

Lots of USB 3.0 devices easily overwhelm a USB 2.0 bus. In this USB 3.0 flash drive shootout, 27 of the 31 drives tested would max out a USB 2.0 bus. Any SATA-USB3 disk adapter will, too. This isn't a reason to upgrade your XP machine, though. My two XP boxes both have USB 3.0 cards and came with drivers supporting them (remember, USB 3.0 came out 5 years ago).

He forgot the most important reason for Blue's readers, though: Not many AAA games support XP anymore :)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
30. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 5, 2013, 20:40 Genesys

Beamer wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 16:14:
I'm surprisingly insulted from tv pop culture.

You probably meant "insulated from", but your way works too :)

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf Trailer
10. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf Trailer Dec 1, 2013, 13:21 Genesys

Hmm. I was hoping for a different Space Wolf.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 24, 2013, 12:19 Genesys

Still use it daily too. The only thing I wish Winamp would have done differently is their media library's database format. I've had it go corrupt on me 3-4 times and had to restore from backups. They should have used sqlite, which would also have allowed easy access to it from outside Winamp itself.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2013, 19:59 Genesys

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 15:58:
Roman numerals, how do they work!?
They've gone the way of cursive and how to write with a quill pen. An interesting relic of the past, but probably not worth actually teaching kids.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Oct 18, 2013, 21:39 Genesys

The Stanley Parable sounds very interesting. RPS almost reviewed it (or did he review a dozen times? hard to tell): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/17/wot-i-think-the-stanley-parable/  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: The rush to solve Grand Theft Auto V’s biggest mystery Oct 8, 2013, 20:57 Genesys

The date of the PC release, right? Right?  

News Comments > Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced
8. Re: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced Oct 8, 2013, 20:41 Genesys

I loved the game, but never actually beat it. Got as far as the hidden voodoo lair/meeting place, I think. What sticks in my head the most was the background music, perfectly suited for each screen. The church organ, the little band in the park, etc.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
32. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2013, 20:19 Genesys

Prez wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 17:35:
I just can't play games sitting on a couch or on the floor in front of my TV. Partly it is due to back problems, and partially due to the fact that I just can't get into the experience that way. I need to be sitting upright at a 24-26" monitor in a comfy office chair.

There's nothing stopping you from hooking your game console up to your monitor for controller-friendly games (racing games etc), though. I use a $10 HDMI switchbox so I can toggle between PC and PS3, and if your monitor has multiple inputs you might not even need that.

News Comments > GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak
9. Re: GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak Aug 25, 2013, 13:55 Genesys

WyldKat wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 13:16:
Only Rockstar knows for sure how much they've made from the PC version of GTAs but judging by how HUGE the mod community is for the games and the fact that GTA IV is at the number 35 spot on top played Steam games it would be extremely silly of them to neglect their PC fanbase.
They had better do a better job of porting GTA V than they did with GTA IV, though. According to Steam, I put 5.4 hours into that before giving up on it. I had just finished GTA:SA (70 hours), and was hoping to have the same fun. It's hard enough to get through a single mission without the game crashing, and when it was working (at 30 fps with hitching), the cars drove like boats on stilts. Currently playing Rage, which apart from the embarrassing texture pop, looks 10x better and runs at 50-60 fps with no visible stuttering.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 21, 2013, 20:43 Genesys

Flip through the original XtremeSystems forum endurance thread while you wait. The winner was the Samsung 830 - its wear indicator hit 0 at 828 TB, eventually died after handling 6294TB of writes, and was still averaging 300MB/sec writes. Unfortunately the thread sort of petered out, so there are no results for current models.  

News Comments > League of Legends Security Breach
3. Re: League of Legends Security Breach Aug 20, 2013, 23:52 Genesys

In most password storage systems, the salt is a random value prepended to the password before hashing and is stored in the clear, next to the hash. It's main use is to reduce the likelihood that two users with the same password have the same hash in the database. Even if two users have 12345678 as their password, chances are that their salts are different, and an attacker will have to crack both passwords individually. Salting also makes rainbow tables a lot bigger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_(cryptography)

News Comments > WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay
6. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 00:58 Genesys

Graham wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 23:55:
Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 22:39:
Yeah, this'll last all of a month.
This seems overly optimistic.
Remember, you get 30 days of game time when you initially buy it :)

News Comments > SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter
7. Re: SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter Aug 17, 2013, 14:47 Genesys

Ratty wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 12:36:
I seem to remember years ago playing a demo of a game written in Lisp. It was a platform game if I remember and the graphics were very impressive, on par with other A-List games of the time. All I remember was controlling a lizard kind of creature. Wish I could think of the name.

I believe you're thinking of Abuse, by Crack Dot Com. The level and AI logic is Lisp, but the game engine itself is C++.

http://abuse.zoy.org/wiki/doc/faq#E.WasAbuseWrittenEntirelyinLisp

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 15, 2013, 23:06 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 20:45:
Who of what?

The first thing that came to mind was "Calvin and Hobbes"

News Comments > KOTOR Turns 10
15. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 16, 2013, 00:24 Genesys

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 00:12:
If you squint really hard, you can see people still playing Pazaak in the park.

Reminds me of that old Tom Lehrer song, "Poisoning Pigeons in the Pazaak"

News Comments > Steam Trading Cards Launch
26. Re: Steam Trading Cards Launch Jun 26, 2013, 21:00 Genesys

Prez wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 19:31:
LOL! I checked my profile and it said I could add a title to it from one of my badges. I'm a level 13 "game collector".

You're level 14 right now. Holy freaking cow! "Director of Acquisitions" indeed! Get 19 more games so we can see what the next badge is called

News Comments > Daylight E3 Trailer
4. Re: Daylight E3 Trailer Jun 8, 2013, 00:53 Genesys

I don't think being a tv show host qualifies one to be called an "industry veteran"...

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Steam Client Update Jun 6, 2013, 01:05 Genesys

- Improved “Time remaining” calculation when downloading or updating games

I sure hope so. I'd have downloads I knew were going to take 8 hours and the estimate was always like "40 minutes" the entire time.

97 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo