Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dan Nelson

Real Name Dan Nelson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Genesys
Email dnelson_1901@yahoo.com
ICQ None given.
Description Worth a million in prizes
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2010, 06:51
Total Comments 120 (Novice)
User ID 55658

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 23, 2015, 21:19 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 20:05:
Why are people having to view ads at all. That's something I never understood about Cable TV. If you were delivering it free, then sure. But if I'm paying for it? Suck my balls.
Rule #1 of Capitalism: if it can be monetized, it will be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
55. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2015, 22:37 Genesys

BobBob wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 19:33:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 18:50:
PHJF wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 17:05:

You also contain a chemical known to cause cancer.
Californium? Or, Bobbobium?
I think he was referring to this. You can see these signs nearly everywhere.
I think it would be hilarious if one of those signs had a little sticker in the corner that said "WARNING This Sign May Contain A Chemical Known To The State Of California To Cause Cancer, Or Birth Defects Or Other Reproductive Harm.", and possibly a very small sticker on the sticker.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Feb 10, 2015, 19:51 Genesys

Flatline wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 19:06:
I doubt anyone noticed.
Dunno; looks like ~300 people are still playing it daily on Steam, according to https://steamdb.info/app/8850/graphs/

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Microsoft Research's AutoCharge can automatically charge smartphones with light beams Jan 20, 2015, 20:48 Genesys

Oh man, that's a lot of work just because someone's too lazy to plug their phone in. And I bet that little spotlight would get annoying.  

News Comments > Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag
21. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jan 12, 2015, 23:48 Genesys

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 12:46:
Kinda looking forward to it because I never really got into TF2 as much as I loved the short movies and the art style. I played a ton of MegaTF for Quake 1 back in the day and the differences between that and TF2 were just too much for me to get over and I couldn't adjust. I still bitch about spies being able to go invisible rather than just feign death. I loved feign death. Felt like I was really playing strategically. Invisibility just felt like cheating. But I digress...
I loved that when you feigned in original TF, you had to be careful not to look around. A dead body rotating to watch you as you passed it was always sure to get shot with a couple of rockets

News Comments > Steam Trades Trade CAPTCHAs
2. Re: Steam Trades Trade CAPTCHAs Jan 11, 2015, 12:16 Genesys

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 11:18:
There's not much point to the check-box version... You still have to type letters in at least half the time.
Maybe you're not as human as you think you are? Try to think fleshy thoughts as you click the box.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2015, 21:26 Genesys

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 19:41:
nin wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 15:37:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 15:31:
Calling all Bluesers -

Anyone have an undelete or similar program they really like?

Old man installed Win7 over win7 (don't ask) and trying to figure out if I can rip some data off the disk......
I've used File Scavenger both at work and home:
http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm
Found a program called "Puran" that shows tree structure and appears to be working pretty well....if it doesn't work (it is showing his User drive and being in excellent condition - sooooooo) then I will try that one. Thank you sir.
Another is Recuva - http://www.piriform.com/recuva/ , made by the same people that make CCleaner. Also, I hope you made an image backup of the drive as soon as you got a hold of it; that way you can try a bunch of recovery tools on dummy images to see which one gets you the most data back.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 28, 2014, 22:49 Genesys

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 15:15:
Whoever made that graph on the SSD article needs to have something unfortunate happen to them....

From 1-10-100-1000 all evenly spaced....bugs the shit out of me, and i'm not even OCD
If they hadn't used log scale, there's no way your eye would see where the trend lines would cross. It's the standard way of graphing things that scale exponentially. My issue is with the fact that every datapoint on their graphs is a projection. Why not at least include the last 5 years so we can see where they're getting their numbers from? I do agree that for most companies that have less than ~50 TB of storage or so, all-flash is probably the way to go.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: New Zealand couple manages to lock themselves in keyless car for 13 hours Dec 20, 2014, 15:13 Genesys

I had a cousin get locked in a Cadillac XLR for an hour or so... It hadn't been driven for months and the battery was almost dead. It's a keyless-entry and start system, so the car's always awake, waiting for a keyfob to get in range. There was apparently enough juice to open the door, but it ran out trying to start the engine, and the door latches are electronic so he couldn't get out. The first thing he did was check the glove compartment for the owner's manual, but it was on a CD :)   He ended up calling a dealership on his cellphone and they finally were able to tell him about a manual release latch under the seat.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 20, 2014, 12:50 Genesys

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 23:20:
Genesys wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 22:04:
Hey, with 4+TB hard drives going for under $150, and free essentially unlimited email accounts etc, why not keep everything?

Aside from the obvious "maybe you have something to hide" you'd be surprised how few datacenters actually use 4TB drives, or even 2TB drives. You ever had a raid? I have.. and you don't want to have a 4TB hdd in a raid fail... rebuild takes forever and during that time more HDD's in that raid WILL fail.

4TB drives are a bit new for regular use, but I would expect many datacenters to be using at least 2TB drives by now. The trend is toward hybrid arrays, with large slow drives holding most of the data, and SSDs holding frequently-accessed data. Nimble Storage, for example, puts 7200RPM 3TB drives and SDDs in their units, at between 12:1 and 4:1 HDD:SDD ratios depending on your workload.

If you have something to hide, you also encrypt your volumes :)

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 19, 2014, 22:04 Genesys

Hey, with 4+TB hard drives going for under $150, and free essentially unlimited email accounts etc, why not keep everything?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2014, 22:20 Genesys

LurkerLito wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 11:12:
Wow, Dr. Dobb's is gone . I haven't read it in a while, but they had some of the best programming articles.
Like this one on image dithering from 1998, which was in my browser history for some reason. Even includes a little source snippet. A Balanced Dithering Technique

We used to subscribe to the Dobbs magazine at work back in the mid-90s.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 7, 2014, 12:36 Genesys

Welcome back, Skyrim!  

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black Dec 4, 2014, 20:23 Genesys

They spelled it wrong.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed
13. Re: Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed Nov 23, 2014, 14:40 Genesys

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 12:26:
Who else is doing limb damage to this detail? A: No one.
Dwarf Fortress :) Damage is tracked on the upper+lower leg/arm/spine, eyes, brain, liver, lungs, and more. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Wound http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Health_screen

I wonder which of Dwarf Fortress or Star Citizen will win the lifetime feature creep award...

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Nov 11, 2014, 20:46 Genesys

A Foundation series has a lot more potential than a movie, at least. It might even be a good fit. Have a few episodes per time period, or something like that. That's the big problem with most of the books; they cover such a long timespan that one individual character doesn't stay around for more than a few chapters.

News Comments > Warlock II: Wrath of the Nagas Expansion Released
2. Re: Warlock II: Wrath of the Nagas Expansion Released Oct 21, 2014, 21:27 Genesys

Bonus points for "serpentertainment"  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 15, 2014, 20:35 Genesys

TLC flash is rated at around 1000 P/E cycles, so even if they did have to rewrite the entire contents of a 100%-full drive, that would only lower the drive's lifetime by 0.1% .

News Comments > Next Car Game Renamed Wreckfest; Multiplayer Introduced
5. Re: Next Car Game Renamed Wreckfest; Multiplayer Introduced Oct 3, 2014, 23:04 Genesys

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 22:24:
I'll bet the person who came up with that name was really pleased with himself.
It's the meal that comes before Crunch.

News Comments > Outland Released on Steam
3. Re: Outland Released on Steam Sep 30, 2014, 00:54 Genesys

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 23:07:
Aw, man. I was hoping for an action-stealth-mystery game based on the Sean Connery movie.

I was hoping it was based on the comic strip.

120 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo