Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Heretic2K

Real Name Heretic2K   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Heretic2K
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 17, 2010, 07:35
Total Comments 2 (Suspect)
User ID 55656

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM "Vital" To PC Success
93. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 17, 2010, 07:13 Heretic2K

Ubi only appears clueless. Really, they could give a rats ass if they lose a small percentage of their customer base because of their excessive DRM, but will more than make up for it by the Advertising Revenue that a required online connection allows. I wont go off on the privacy issues, as that is just a whole ball of wax, but what they are looking at and expecting is to probably double their profit margins. As was stated earlier, most of their money is made when a game is first released. By implementing in game advertising that this type of DRM allows for, the revenue from each game becomes residual as opposed to a one time sale. What they are now selling isnt a game, so much as a Medium by which multiple types of content can be delivered, either game, update, or ad.

Many people have already rejected the idea of online advertising due to many issues, including privacy, and the only way to get people to swallow the kind of garbage they want to shove down our throats is to force an online connection first.

This is the way they see it. They know people are gonna pirate their games. And they know if people are required to be online, and they allow those people to be online, they will use this to their financial advantage by making up for the loss of sales by the advertising revenue that IGA brings residually.

They also make a lot of money by selling everyones personal data about what games are installed, when they play, what ads are shown to them, to anyone with enough money to meet what they are charging for that information.

The way that video games will be produced from now until the end of eternity will become more and more despicable, damn near to the point that I will probably never be able to enjoy another video game again.

I am not a statistic to be counted by force. I do not agree to allow one company to track me to their hearts content and do with my information what they would like. I never have and never will give any permission to any company for a required tracking. I am not a sheep to be led by an evil Little Bo Peep with a carrot. I am a human being, and I have inalienable rights because I am a human being, and I will allow no one, government or business, to infringe upon my right to privacy.

And I will not buy anything with this form of DRM, EVER. Pirates, save us from DRM Hell!

Jerykk wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 06:31:
Same kind of goes for DRM, these companies know all the upsides and downsides, the idea that they haven't thought of every anti-DRM statement in this thread is ridiculously stupid.

I think you're giving them waayyy too much credit. If they had some sense, they would do the following:

1) Don't delay ports for 6 months and then get disappointed when they don't sell as well as the console versions.
2) Don't continue to use a DRM scheme that has not only garnered tons of bad press but has pissed off legitimate customers so badly that Ubisoft actually had to give away free games to compensate.
3) Don't charge $60 for ports when the vast majority of PC games cost $50 or less.

It's really not that hard to understand this stuff but Ubisoft is apparently clueless. A consecutive release with minimal DRM and standard pricing is going to sell a lot better than a delayed release with excessive DRM and unreasonably high pricing. If EA, of all companies, has the sense to do this, why can't Ubisoft?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM "Vital" To PC Success
86. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 17, 2010, 03:37 Heretic2K

It isnt about PIRACY, but in contrary, it is a means to GREED.

By forcing individuals to be online all the time and force them to authenticate via an internet connection, IN GAME ADVERTISING will be the next part of the implementation of this form of DRM.

End result will be the same as Cable TV so many years ago, where people were misled to believe that by paying for TV instead of going with over the air market (also supported by advertising, but the advertisers didnt get to forcibly track you), and this is no different. EVERY game will eventually require a permanent internet connection, you'll have to pay for the game, at full price, then a monthly account for the game, then you'll be saturated with Advertising suggesting the best remedy for Erectile Dysfunction is a Splint and some Duck Tape.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo