Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Deepjay

Real Name Deepjay   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 29, 2010, 06:18
Total Comments 56 (Suspect)
User ID 55631

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > ArcheAge Launches; Founders Unhappy
5. Re: ArcheAge Launches; Founders Unhappy Sep 16, 2014, 22:36 Deepjay

Not to mention a lot of free players coming in today have been incorrectly marked as patrons - aka screwing over the queue advantage real patrons get.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Next Total War Reveal This Month
13. Re: Next Total War Reveal This Month Sep 10, 2014, 01:43 Deepjay

It's going to be a free to play arena style game isnt it? They already talked about this a while back - where players could customise their armies from different time periods and go head to head against..well other time periods. Like a Samurai army vs Knights or some such.

That's what i thought they were alluding too - and its name was something Arena.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Patch Introduces AI Personalities
3. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Patch Introduces AI Personalities Jul 15, 2014, 21:01 Deepjay

lol at the modern gamer mentality:

This game's so awesome that i'll definitely play it later maybe!

News Comments > WildStar Beta Open To All
38. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 18:35 Deepjay

I love this game.  

News Comments > From Software Sold
36. Re: From Software Sold Apr 28, 2014, 19:33 Deepjay

God. You guys.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details
53. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 27, 2014, 06:57 Deepjay

Most people who are frothing over how good this is, buy ALL new MMO's and usually move on from them several weeks later. This is no difference.

I didn't think the game was terrible, but it certainly wasn't different from at least 5 other titles that have come and gone with similar fanfare.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II: Hannibal at the Gates Announced
14. Re: Total War: ROME II: Hannibal at the Gates Announced Mar 14, 2014, 06:58 Deepjay

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 04:00:
Deepjay wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 22:54:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 22:38:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 22:35:
Well, nothing like releasing a game 6 months early.
Welcome to the land of publisher rush.

It’s not so much this, but games these days being released in perpetual states of incompletion. With kickstarter and similar, we’re now buying games that are alpha or even earlier – and the kicker is, I don’t think many consumers even have any idea what stage a game is at. And you cant blame them.

When you see an absolute piece of crap like Godus showing up on steam sales…why the hell would an incomplete work in progress even be eligible for those kind of sales? It’s confusing to the consumers. You can never truly be sure if your game is complete – then you have games like Rome 2 that are complete – supposedly, but release in a state so broken that it takes 10+ patches to correct it.

It’s not good at all.

This is true, but you have a choice, whether it be KS, Early Access, or regular releases. You can wait, see, read some reviews, and listen to word of mouth. Yes, it means not playing the second it's available, but even waiting a day or two can give you the info you need.

My point is that these work in progresses are making their way into mainstream sale sites such as steam to the point where you're never really sure what you're buying these days. Yes you can research it, but you shouldn't have to.

10. Re: Total War: ROME II: Hannibal at the Gates Announced Mar 14, 2014, 00:02 Deepjay

dj LiTh wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 23:38:
If anyone is into history, i recommend checking out dan carlins hardcore history podcast 'punic nightmares' 1-3 . As for Rome2, i was upset from preordering it, but the state of the game today has me satisfied.

Yep Dan Carlin's is awesome. He also has a 5 part series on Rome - leading up to Julius Ceasar forming the empire - highly reccomended listen. (Sorry i forget the name of them)

7. Re: Total War: ROME II: Hannibal at the Gates Announced Mar 13, 2014, 22:54 Deepjay

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 22:38:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 22:35:
Well, nothing like releasing a game 6 months early.
Welcome to the land of publisher rush.

It’s not so much this, but games these days being released in perpetual states of incompletion. With kickstarter and similar, we’re now buying games that are alpha or even earlier – and the kicker is, I don’t think many consumers even have any idea what stage a game is at. And you cant blame them.

When you see an absolute piece of crap like Godus showing up on steam sales…why the hell would an incomplete work in progress even be eligible for those kind of sales? It’s confusing to the consumers. You can never truly be sure if your game is complete – then you have games like Rome 2 that are complete – supposedly, but release in a state so broken that it takes 10+ patches to correct it.

It’s not good at all.

3. Re: Total War: ROME II: Hannibal at the Gates Announced Mar 13, 2014, 20:49 Deepjay

To be fair, the game is in a pretty good state these days - not perfect, but not broken - however it has taken 10...yes _10_ sizeable patches to get it to this point. I pre-ordered it originally and still feel dirty from having done so. The fact it's taken so much work post-release to fix it (and it's still not completely fixed mind you) is an absolute disgrace.

I love Total War, but i'd rather give my own nuts a walloping with a hammer before preordering from them again.

News Comments > SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions
8. Re: SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions Jan 7, 2014, 16:37 Deepjay

Planetside 2 feels better than ever these days. With the terrain/base enhancements across Indar and Esamir (still working on Amerish) and the recent performance update, the game is fantastic and easy to reccomend.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
26. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 17:07 Deepjay

There's not a game on this planet that I would spend $500 on.

I'm sure if it exceeds expectations and is awesome, i'll enjoy it every bit as much with my eventual purchase - which i suspect will be around the 50-60.00 mark. There's simply nothing game related that can justify paying 500+ in my opinion.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Patched
10. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 17:15 Deepjay

Siege ai isnt fixed, i proved that with a new campaign. It's still as buggy as ever.  

News Comments > Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation
36. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 10, 2013, 00:26 Deepjay

The sequel to TA was Sup Commander IMO. I'm not sure how you can actually get more 'TA sqeuely' than that. Stinks of someone grasping for original ideas.  

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Beta Patch
6. Re: Total War: ROME II Beta Patch Oct 6, 2013, 18:14 Deepjay

I've been playing it solidly since release and can confirm that the release version was absolute crap.

There's since been 4 patches, all of which went through a brief beta process. Patch 1 was just a few hotfixes, but patches 2, 3 and now 4 have all made considerable progress towards fixing the game.

Patch 3 wasnt perfect, but put the game to a state which would have been fine for release IMO. Patch 4 I have since started a new campaign and it's definitely challenging. Patch 3 for the record was likewise very challenging - finally. Release day Rome 2 was a joke. Yes we know that CA have a history of releasing titles in bad shape, but Rome 2 takes the cake. In many instances, it's a clear step down from Shogun 2 as well - how it could go from Shogun 2's attention to detail and polish down to Rome 2 is simply bizarre.

Anyway, on the back of this current patch 4, i'd reccomend the game now. It still needs work, specifically siege AI (ie the AI to my knowledge still doesnt use siege engines, just burns down a single door) and a few other things.

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
21. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 19:27 Deepjay

Overon wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 16:56:
I'm cynical and I think this game is so hyped that people are going to be disappointed because it cannot possibly live up to expectation. I hope to be proven wrong however.

Yep I completely agree with you. The hype for this has been insane. I can't believe how much money some people have been dropping on it hoping all their dreams can come true. While I too hope we have an amazing game on the other side, how often is something so hyped actually meeting fan expectations?

And that's the main point. People's expectations and the actual finished products are often two different things.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk
25. Re: tangobaker@triad.rr.com Aug 16, 2013, 23:14 Deepjay

That bugged mission 6 incidentally, was a prick to finish, and it took me quite a few tries, but my final result was getting 6/7 survivors out, along with the Librarian, and 62 genestealer kills. Not bad for walking pansies with paper armour.  

24. Re: tangobaker@triad.rr.com Aug 16, 2013, 21:35 Deepjay

Darks wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 10:43:

Okay genius, how do you do that when you Terminators is constantly missing their target and the Gene Stealer is then up in your face ripping you apart? This is what happens when you are dealing with loaded dice!!!

"They're big, slow-moving, badasses”

Yea, That constantly miss their targets. You say, Learn to play the game huh? Funny how when someone has anything bad to say about a game the first garbage that spills out of their mouths is learn to play the game better. Okay whatever dude!!

My point is, that by learning how to play the game rather than just spouting off as soon as something doesn't go your way, you can vastly increase your chances in a game that has a large element of chance purposely built into it. The board game was no different - you could and would miss very frequently. It's designed so that it's difficult. So that you die, and often. So you cant setup nice cushy fire zones and cover - because that's too easy. And this is what Space Hulk has always been about.

However, you CAN minimise all of these. Yes, it's cramped, its claustrophobic, and that's precisely by design. It means you're going to get into melee fighting whether you want to or not, but again, you CAN minimise this if you take the time to LEARN to PLAY the game. I suspect there's many tearbags out there who simply get cut down then immediately leap to their keyboards.

Overwatch is effective, but it's by no means an auto-win. They can still miss, regardless of whether you think they should or not. But the fact remains, that more often than not, if they are in overwatch, and have enemy approaching them, they stand an infinitely better chance of surviving because 1. if they dont kill them on the approach, then 2. it's likely by the time they get closer, they're out of points themselves in which case you'll likely kill them on your next turn. Of course, this all depends on elements of luck too - but by setting up a firing lane, you've increased your odds, as you're automatically giving yourself more chances.

Secondly - there's always opportunities to create space. If you're in a room, step back one tile so that you have that extra tile the enemy needs to close. Those single tiles can make all of the difference.

Thirdly, if you're simply out of options, it's possible your overall strategy has failed - ie if you have a melee terminator facing a row of 5-6 genestealers in a corridor - it's very unlikely this guy is going to survive this - but the thing is, he shouldnt be in that position to begin with. Is that the games fault? You could get into the same predicament in the board game and original computer games alike. Instead there should be a ranged terminator in that hallway, and he should have as much space as you can give him between him and the approaching enemies. You DO have control over this. Even your initial teleport in order is crucial in many cases.

I've had rear guards mow down something like 15 genestealers and still live to tell the tale. Of course that can also fail - but when i create these chances, i win more than I lose. It's a difficult game, but it's made more difficult by sheer ignorance and 'hoping' things like a back to back overwatch will carry you.

And fyi, the bug with mission 6 has already been fixed.

The game is not the second coming of Jesus, but it IS a very enjoyable Space Hulk recreation IMO. I for one feel already that I have had value for money, as I have already enjoyed many long and very intense battles.

I can also understand where that rock paper shotgun writer is coming from - but I suspect there was no actual pleasing that guy, short of placing the physical board game in his hands.

20. Re: tangobaker@triad.rr.com Aug 16, 2013, 10:03 Deepjay

The slow moving isnt such an issue at all IMO - not when you can click one unit, send him on his way, click the next to move behind him as the first is moving etc. They lumber just about like i would expect. It's totally a non-issue. If they moved any faster, I wouldnt expect them to be Terminators. They're big, slow-moving, badasses.

And the comments as to them being weak? Pfft - learn to play.

Genestealers are supposed to be bloody deadly in close combat, with claws that can shear through even terminator armour. The point is, you need to minimise the close quarters combat - and in a contained space like within a space hulk - there's your gameplay. Yes genestealers have numbers, but if they were anything but effective against terminators, where's the freakin challenge in that? The original game was designed as Terminator's vs Genestealers for a reason - Genestealers ARE deadly.

And secondly, these Terminators are freakin badass - it comes down to how you play them. If you aren't giving them proper space, or are positioning them badly, you're sucking, plain and simple. There's bad dice rolls yes, but you can drastically reduce those random painfully low rolls by good positioning or awareness.

The sargents in melee when under guard absolutely own. And having Terminators in overwatch down firing lanes when you have spare command points between goes (so their bolters unjam) means you'll quickly have a big pile of genestealers in the corridor before you.

My guys actually feel meaty. I set up proper firing lanes and cover, so that if someone does fall, there's someone else to cover - and i have my melee guys waiting behind closed doors and under guard. It never gets old watching old Mr Sgt with stormshield + thunderhammer absolutely drill genestealers. And old man lightning claws...

I wont even mention the supreme badassness of the LIbrarian when you get him around mission 5.

This game is exactly what i was hoping it would be. It's the old space hulk remade, and the dev team has done a bloody good job in my opinion.

8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk Aug 16, 2013, 00:50 Deepjay

So far it's awesome, almost a 1:1 translation of the board game, and very similar to the original PC game.

And yes, it's bloody difficult.

56 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo