Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jacob Bowers

Real Name Jacob Bowers   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Necrophob
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.totaliterritory.com
Signed On Mar 23, 2010, 14:45
Total Comments 221 (Novice)
User ID 55616

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Guard Scam Warning
2. Re: Steam Guard Scam Warning Apr 17, 2014, 11:05 Necrophob

If someone falls for a phishing lure of "you'll need to grant access to this browser by downloading [sic] the special ssfn* file from your Steam folder....", then they deserve what they get.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Heartbleed Warning
3. Re: Pillars of Eternity Heartbleed Warning Apr 16, 2014, 15:35 Necrophob

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 13:05:
I backed it on kickstarter, but i never signed up for an account at their new website. Wonder if i'm gonna have to change my kickstarter password (again).

The ssl cert on kickstarter.com was issued on 4/9/2014, which implies they patched the Heartbleed vulnerability and got a new certificate. I'd change my password just to be safe (and don't use that password again for any of your other sites).

News Comments > Prisonscape Kickstarter
8. Re: Prisonscape Kickstarter Apr 11, 2014, 14:05 Necrophob

Michael Bolton: We get caught laundering money, we're not going to white-collar resort prison. No, no, no. We're going to federal PMITA prison.
Samir: I don't want to go to ANY prison!

News Comments > Heartbleed Vulnerabilities
3. Re: Heartbleed Vulnerabilities Apr 11, 2014, 13:55 Necrophob

Cutter wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 12:24:
The various world governments really need to get involved in getting cyber-crime agencies the funding they need to start finding and nabbing these assholes. In the past several years the way this has exploded is just fucking ridiculous. Seems like every other day you have to change your PW on a site or worry if your personal info has been compromised. They also need to come down on private enterprise and start mandating security be better, particularly for the large corporations who can easily afford it yet choose not to.

While I agree to some extent, this colossal clusterf**k had nothing to do with hackers (although they are the ones to benefit). This was some developer not checking his code well enough (good explanation), or worse, letting it through intentionally (NSA?). The large businesses using open source code like this would probably benefit from helping examine new commits occasionally, because this was such a simple error.

An explanation of how this works: a peer sends your server a "heartbeat request". This is composed of some random data and the size of the data. Your server (if it supports it), is supposed to return back that random data, yet for some inane reason, they don't check that the size passed in is the actual size of the passed data, and happily returns the passed data and whatever's next to it in server RAM, up to 64K. I don't even get WHY they pass the size of the incoming data...why not just check it when you get it?

News Comments > Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced
2. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 09:52 Necrophob

I didn't watch the video, but the guy who pops up on the still pic is the most realistic zombie I've ever seen.  

News Comments > Mojang Suggests Password Change
9. Re: Mojang Suggests Password Change Apr 10, 2014, 09:23 Necrophob

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 20:32:
Necrophob wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 10:47:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 10:16:
Open source---'nuff said.
The Canadian Gov't shut down their Tax web site due to same exploit.

http://tinyurl.com/no6q3qg

You're saying open source projects are inherently less secure than closed source? There are pretty good decompilers around for most languages, so regardless of whether the hacker has access to your original code, he knows what it's doing and can look for vulnerabilities. Microsoft wishes it was otherwise.

Not even Microsoft would have let a commit through to one of the main-stays of internet security, actually the fucking foundation of internet security, that posts your entire secured ssl stream to anyone that asks on the internet. And then dragged their feet for months while it was exploited in the wild.

I think at this point OpenSSL needs to die. This isn't a bug or an exploit, it's a backdoor that was intentionally put in and let through.

Well, it turns out it's not as bad as all that (very bad still). They wouldn't get your unencrypted ssl stream, just 64 kilobyte chunks of server RAM at a time (as many times as they want). So they'd get what's in memory at the time of the hack, which could be most anything, including unencrypted passwords. I just read that the only way they'd get the private ssl key is if they were the first heartbeat request after a server reset.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 10, 2014, 09:11 Necrophob

jimnms wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 21:41:
I don't get the tone of these articles blasting MS for dropping support of XP. It's not Microsoft's problem people haven't upgraded. You can't expect them to continue support of the ancient OS forever just because some people and businesses were too lazy to upgrade. It's not like they just stopped supporting it without warning, they've had several years notice that this was coming.

I still have a computer with XP on it. It's one I pieced together from old parts, with most of it being a system I built almost 10 years ago. I'm not wasting the money to put Win7/8 on it, but I'm not worried about it because it's only used by my niece to play games on. I thought about putting Windows Vista on it because I have an unopened copy of it that I got for 80% off when CompUSA went out of business.

I'm probably going to be building myself a new gaming system soon anyway if some of these "next gen" games come out and my system can't run them on high settings.

Is your niece's game computer connected to your network? Than you should be concerned. What if one of the vulnerabilities that hackers discover (or already have and are waiting to use them) allows them to gain access to the other computers on your network, through the XP machine? The problem is that we just don't know what's going to happen.

6. Re: Mojang Suggests Password Change Apr 9, 2014, 14:58 Necrophob

NKD wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 14:52:
Wallshadows wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 14:45:
So should I be legitimately worried about this and change all my passwords or is it just something that's being blown way out in to the stratosphere?

Changing all your passwords right now is pointless unless the system in question has been confirmed to be patched. Many systems have not been updated to fix the problem, so you'd risk changing your password and having your new one compromised as well.

Since there's no way of knowing what data was compromised, no one can really tell you how worried you should be.

For important passwords, wait until you get confirmation of a fix then change your password. Or if you get confirmation that the system was never vulnerable in the first place, don't worry about it, or change it anyway.

Not just patched, but they have to get new ssl certificates for their servers.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 9, 2014, 14:41 Necrophob

Ugh...this heartbleed shit's gonna get really bad, I fear.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 9, 2014, 14:37 Necrophob

There are few companies that I would consider "evil". Monsanto is one of them. Or at the very least Satan sits on the board of directors.  

2. Re: Mojang Suggests Password Change Apr 9, 2014, 10:47 Necrophob

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 10:16:
Open source---'nuff said.
The Canadian Gov't shut down their Tax web site due to same exploit.

http://tinyurl.com/no6q3qg

You're saying open source projects are inherently less secure than closed source? There are pretty good decompilers around for most languages, so regardless of whether the hacker has access to your original code, he knows what it's doing and can look for vulnerabilities. Microsoft wishes it was otherwise.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed
5. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 10:24 Necrophob

Gearbox should really take a crack at an Aliens game.  

News Comments > Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?)
6. Re: Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?) Apr 2, 2014, 09:46 Necrophob

A real April Fools joke would have been to have the game be GOOD for one day, then cruely take it away on April 2.  

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
52. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 22:18 Necrophob

When the two guys who gave us the Quake 1 engine get together to work on something, it gets my attention. I still have Abrash's "Graphics Programming". Most of what's in it is over my head and/or outdated now, but I can still use it to beat an intruder to death if need be.  

News Comments > Runic Cofounders Leaving
10. Re: Runic Cofounders Leaving Mar 27, 2014, 14:25 Necrophob

jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 13:58:
nin wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 09:26:
I'd be a little more concerned about the future of Torchlight, except now that D3 is actually fun, my arpg itch is taken care of.

Good luck to them!

Never fear, I hear that Baldree and Schaefer are going to work on an ARPG at their new studio, tentatively titled "Torchiablo."

I'm sure it will feature adorable pets that can do menial tasks for you.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2014, 13:56 Necrophob

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 11:40:
InBlack wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 10:44:
I envy you Blue, reading the books for the first time was fucking awesome! Also, I highly recomend Martin's Fevre Dream. Its a rather strange novel but I found it to be at least as good as anything from the Ice and Fire saga and miles better than any of the convulted vampire shit that passes for fantasy or science fiction these days...

There are still fantasy and sci-fi books coming out all the time. Without vampires.

I have been reading Martin's fantasy series since he started it. I watched the first season of the show, but it pales in comparison with the books. (Plus, HBOs tendency to rip out sub-plots so that they can be replaced with more titty-time annoys me) So you probably have the right idea, Blue. I've seen plenty of movies that made me go read the book, and I enjoyed them both.

I was not sad to see Roslyn go.

I only started reading the books after the first couple of episodes of season 1 aired, but pretty much read them back to back (and didn't have too long to wait for A Dance with Dragons). The books are much better than the show, and I'd recommend reading them BEFORE watching the show...the payoff is much better from the books. If the show spoils a scene in the books, it won't be as good when you read it. And I still enjoyed the show, because I was always looking forward to seeing how they pulled off key moments from the books.

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
41. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 16:06 Necrophob

Maybe if we just starting saying "MolyYES" instead of "MolyNO", Molyneux would make something as good as Dungeon Keeper again.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 24, 2014, 11:26 Necrophob

nin wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 11:20:
Fantaz wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 11:14:
I don't know why Sony didn't make PS4 at least backwards compatible with PS3 PSN releases. just complicates things more.

If the code is written for a proc that no longer exists in the box (the cell), it wouldn't work...

ps4 is x86 based.

That, and emulators require the host hardware to be much more powerful than the cpu they are emulating. Is the PS4 much beefier than the PS3? I don't keep up with these things.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Betrayer
6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Betrayer Mar 24, 2014, 11:22 Necrophob

From the screenshots, it looks like they lost the high contrast. Looks a lot better now.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Betrayer
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Betrayer Mar 24, 2014, 10:43 Necrophob

Creston wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 09:38:
Is this that weird black & white thing?

Yes, this is the weird UE3 b/w game with the odd high contrast style.

221 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo