Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jacob Bowers

Real Name Jacob Bowers   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Necrophob
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.totaliterritory.com
Signed On Mar 23, 2010, 14:45
Total Comments 279 (Amateur)
User ID 55616

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Source Engine 2 Announced
54. Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 11:20 Necrophob

Maybe the reason they haven't done HL3 yet is because they can't get Blue to hold still for the artists to draw? :/  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Free
16. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 14:23 Necrophob

I doubt the $19 was netting them too much anyways. I'm just a little disappointed, because I just got a materials pack I made put up on the Marketplace. As part of that, they gave me a "years free subscription". Jerks  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Free
1. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 13:39 Necrophob

Tim Sweeney has done some great things, but damn if he doesn't give me a serial killer vibe when I see him speak.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 2, 2015, 13:18 Necrophob

ldonyo wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 12:09:
Oracle botched yet another high-profile project and are now looking to blame someone else. I'd be shocked, but I'm too busy laughing at Oracle for blundering yet again in a very public and expensive way.

delete from states where state_name = 'OR'; commit;

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Feb 20, 2015, 15:11 Necrophob

Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 15:07:
How exactly would you make a WoW movie without CGI? Last I checked, there weren't many Pandaren or Orc actors registered with the SAG.

Then how do you explain Alec Baldwin?

News Comments > Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought
29. Re: Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought Feb 17, 2015, 20:42 Necrophob

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 16:41:
Maybe Tom Hall will be at the helm. That said, maybe someone can carry the torch as well. We have a long history of people able to pick up others stories and continue them on... we also have a history they can be fucked up royally to. But not sure until you try.

If you don't try then it is all in stone already. What's the difference? This isn't scripture we are talking about here, might as well test the waters, see what kind of interest is out there.

If the final product sucks, I'll know that well ahead of buying it, so I'm covered.

As for the original, I do have a hard time it working right and it it is a game that doesn't hold up all that well today.

The version off of Gog works great. I've only had a couple of crashes. Yah, the engine was out-of-date before it even came out, but they squeezed amazing things out of it. I still think the environments are fun. If the combat and elementor system had been fleshed out and tweaked a bit, the game could have been much better.

28. Re: Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought Feb 17, 2015, 20:37 Necrophob

Sho wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 20:11:
Necrophob wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 16:15:
Without Tom Hall at the helm, any Anachronox related game wouldn't be the same. Even if it was good.

Nah. They made new Deus Ex and Tomb Raider games with completely new teams (Ion Storm -> Eidos Montreal; CORE Design -> Crystal Dynamics) and they wound up fine. New people can sometimes get an IP.

That's true, but a lot of what was great with Anachronox was the tone: goofy and not taking itself seriously. I'd imagine many who would like to get their hands on the property would just play it as straight sci-fi (or a Guardians of the Galaxy rip-off).

I'd love to see something done with it, though, so even if Tom wasn't at the helm, I'd probably check it out anyways.

21. Re: Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought Feb 17, 2015, 16:15 Necrophob

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 10:13:
It is a new day, look at it on two bright sides, it isn't being contracted out to China most likely, but independent programmers who can do some cool shit.

You have a chance at an Anachronox follow up.

Without Tom Hall at the helm, any Anachronox related game wouldn't be the same. Even if it was good.

I've been replaying it for the first time since 2001, and it's still fun. If certain things had been fine tuned a bit (like the horribly slow combat), it would have been great.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
40. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 13, 2015, 21:52 Necrophob

Jivaro wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 21:25:
Necrophob wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 17:05:
It feels like low hanging fruit to me. The "journalist" found some one he can whip on for clicks, and no fear of reprisal. It's not like RockPaperShotgun is worried about never having early access to 22Can games. If this was Bobby Kotick (who deserves a talking to, imo), I'm sure it would have been much more polite.

fair enough...I am no Kotick fan but what has Bobby lied about? He has made lots of decisions that fans of his company's games didn't appreciate but he hasn't lied to customers or shareholders to my knowledge. Not running your company the way some folks think you should is far less offensive than straight up lieing to the people who give you money. This interview doesn't feel like low hanging fruit to me at all. It was exactly what was needed. At any time Peter could have walked out of that room and he didn't. He knows he has dug himself into a hole and he was hoping to talk himself out of it because talking is what he is good at. John didn't let him do that when many so-called journalists would have.

"The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games." - Bobby Kotick

Say what you will about Peter Molyneux, but at least he's designed some truly original games in his career. Kotick (while admittedly making video games very profitable) has probably set innovation in gaming back more than most. Anyways, I'm not trying to redirect anything to Kotick, so much as pointing out that the interviewer probably wouldn't have been so unprofessional with someone with actual power in the industry.

31. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 13, 2015, 17:05 Necrophob

ASeven wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 16:57:
This is the interview Peter deserved, to be honest, someone to call him on all his bullshit.

However I wonder if this interview would be as aggressive as it was if Peter was under the umbrella of a publisher, or if the interview would happen at all.

Still a great interview and Peter has nobody to blame but himself. This was his last chance to prove that, with Godus, he still had something from his past days and do a great game, instead the game devolved into the usual bullshit all projects that have Peter involved devolve to. A shame, the Peter Moulyneux that made Populous, Powermonger, Syndicate and Magic Carpet is really long dead and gone and won't be coming back.

It feels like low hanging fruit to me. The "journalist" found some one he can whip on for clicks, and no fear of reprisal. It's not like RockPaperShotgun is worried about never having early access to 22Can games. If this was Bobby Kotick (who deserves a talking to, imo), I'm sure it would have been much more polite.

28. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 13, 2015, 16:28 Necrophob

I feel bad for Polyneux in that interview. The interviewer comes off as a bit of a dick, and has to be told to calm down. Does he think this is Frost/Nixon? It's a video game interview!  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 13, 2015, 13:41 Necrophob

ldonyo wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 09:49:
I don't believe any data records are ever stolen thanks to good security.

You can follow all the best security standards in the world, but they're only as good as the hardware and software they're built on. Heartbleed sat out there for years, unfound.

19. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 13, 2015, 13:39 Necrophob

Beamer wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 12:57:
I won't blame him as much as you guys for not being able to make a proper budget. That's not his skill, and it's incredibly hard to budget art (which is something I keep saying about these Kickstarters.)

But the thing is he should know this. He should be able to compensate for that better than all the new game devs.

That whole interview was so painful I could barely even skim it. I don't think he really understands what he's done. Repeatedly. I don't think he's a bad guy. I think he's incredibly lacking in self awareness.

Godus' art style, by the way, is amazing. A shame the game will never match it.

What I always took away from reading about MolyNo's hijinks was that he wasn't lying, he was just signing checks with his mouth that his ass couldn't cash. I'm sure each time he announces a new project, and starts pulling these wild ideas from the air, people on his development team are pulling their hair out.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 9, 2015, 11:01 Necrophob

Windows 365 (except for the days you can't reach the auth servers).  

News Comments > Ubisoft on Watch Dogs 2 Expectations
15. Re: Ubisoft on Watch Dogs 2 Expectations Jan 16, 2015, 11:19 Necrophob

nin wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 09:41:
Well, when my expectations are now zero...

Rather than saying the original Watch Dogs under-delivered, he says they "over-achieved" in creating expectations for the series.

Wow, that's some awesome kool-aid...

You know who else was an over-achiever...peter molyneux...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2015, 11:03 Necrophob

Verno wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 10:22:
Avatar was such a boring movie in almost every conceivable way, the 3D and spiffy visuals barely kept me awake. It getting one sequel I can understand because James Cameron is a big fucking deal in Hollywood but three is completely absurd. Shit it was absurd for the Hobbit films even.

At the time, it kept my interest because of the 3D and the awesome looking planet they had created. But on repeated viewings, the Dances With Fern Gully Smurfs story doesn't hold up.

And as for the Escape from New York remake...please Hollywood, no more...I beg you...

News Comments > Minecraft Name Changes Next Month
14. Re: Minecraft Name Changes Next Month Jan 13, 2015, 11:50 Necrophob

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 01:11:
Stolk wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 00:22:
Minecraft is a pretty popular name. I see no reason to change it.
"Microsoft's Minecraft TM,Registered,Copyright"

Tyler Perry's Microcraft: Rise of the Wrath of the Microtransactions

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2015, 11:48 Necrophob

Verno wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 11:22:
Necrophob wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 11:09:
Rockets have a fairly high rate of failure. We just don't hear about most of them, because most are commercial satellites going up in flames before reaching orbit.

Oh uh, haha. I meant GTA V in the context of video games

Lol, nvm then

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2015, 11:09 Necrophob

Verno wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 10:14:
It sucks but with all of the broken ass launches in the past year I'm kinda glad at the same time.

Rockets have a fairly high rate of failure. We just don't hear about most of them, because most are commercial satellites going up in flames before reaching orbit.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2015, 17:20 Necrophob

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 16:28:
Necrophob wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 15:17:
Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 14:54:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 14:13:
Compilations of cut scenes are pretty obviously violations, but I'm not sure that let's play vids would be. Due to the interactive element, each person creates a unique instance, so it's not like posting a copy of a song or movie.

That's still no different from sampling music. They're using someone else's property to enrich themselves. That's a licensing issue, plain and simple.

And what is the value of free marketing? Companies want their cake, and to eat it, too.

Do you get paid for word of mouth advertising? No. Then what's with the sense of self-entitlement? You're using someone else's work to make money. It's pretty cut and dry to me.

But this isn't word of mouth advertising. This isn't one guy mentioning to his friend "Hey, I played some Borderlands...it's pretty cool". These are people who can, in some cases, reach millions of other people. There's some value in that.

279 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo