Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Razumen

Real Name Razumen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2010, 15:29
Total Comments 276 (Amateur)
User ID 55599

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Announced
12. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Announced Jun 11, 2015, 17:20 Razumen

Nice! The last one was great, my only major complaint was the lack of enemy variety made it a bit repetitive near the end.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Hitboxes "Being Worked On"
3. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Hitboxes May 22, 2015, 10:45 Razumen

Axis wrote on May 22, 2015, 09:41:
I never liked CS GO, its a runners-up prize for people who missed CS, complete with CODish unlocks and a moba-type-asshole community.

Some servs were ok to be fair, but I never desired to sink any time in like I did CS.

CODish unlocks? There are no unlocks that affect gameplay at all, unless you consider skins to somehow give you an edge? I don't considere to community to be anywhere close to that of a MOBA's (Even then, there are a lot of cool people that play those as well).

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2015, 18:28 Razumen

Cutter wrote on May 8, 2015, 17:02:
Open Steam? So no more regional pricing and customers can get refunds on terrible products? No? Didn't think so. Valve is completely full of shit.

I don't think you understand the concept of an "Open" Steam.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2015, 15:52 Razumen

Krovven wrote on May 8, 2015, 15:27:
Task wrote on May 8, 2015, 10:04:
When I went to that article, I admit I read the first first paragraph and quit and then clicked on this other Valve article there instead:

Valve's flat structure leads to cliques, says ex-employee

No wonder they are lagging behind on game development; their production is all over the place like a hyperactive kid that doesn't know what to concentrate on. Jeri's group was working on VR-type hardware glasses, they get laid off, and then Valve announces their VR.
"Hmm, remember that group we fired... working on the VR?" - Employee 1
"Yeah?" - Employee 2
"Let's make the a VR thing now, it should be profitable now." Employee 1
"Hey guys, we need more people over on HL3," - HL3 employee
"Nah, that's not profitable right now," - Employee 1

Ever think of looking up the reason they were released instead of jumping to conclusions?

Valve had 2 different VR teams working on 2 different implementations. They stuck with one, releasing the other AND allowed that leaving team to take their tech with them and continue on their own. Despite the obvious conflict.

What company does that? A good one.

I don't know, Oculus and the Vive are pretty damn similar, and I wouldn't agree it's good business practice to let your employees leave with tech they developed under your roof and become competitors.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2015, 10:18 Razumen

Task wrote on May 8, 2015, 10:04:
When I went to that article, I admit I read the first first paragraph and quit and then clicked on this other Valve article there instead:

Valve's flat structure leads to cliques, says ex-employee

No wonder they are lagging behind on game development; their production is all over the place like a hyperactive kid that doesn't know what to concentrate on. Jeri's group was working on VR-type hardware glasses, they get laid off, and then Valve announces their VR.
"Hmm, remember that group we fired... working on the VR?" - Employee 1
"Yeah?" - Employee 2
"Let's make the a VR thing now, it should be profitable now." Employee 1
"Hey guys, we need more people over on HL3," - HL3 employee
"Nah, that's not profitable right now," - Employee 1

That's exactly what I thought when they announced the Vive. The only sensible reason I can think of that they let those people go earlier was that there was a falling out of sorts, but even then it was rather daft of them to let them leave with the technology they developed.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
23. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 8, 2015, 10:11 Razumen

InBlack wrote on May 8, 2015, 04:11:
Razumen wrote on May 7, 2015, 11:25:

Ethnic cleansing? That's a pretty bold anti-Semitic statement to make without any sources.

I think Bard's statement about ethnic cleansing is completely wrong but how is his statement in any way anti-Semitic? I find it despicable and completely hypocritical that anyone can simply dismiss any and all criticisms directed against the state of Israel as 'anti-semitic' with all the negative connotations of bigotry that implies.

I didn't dismiss all criticisms, but "ethnic cleansing" is complete hyperbole and reeks of the common anti-Israel bullshit that's spread around the internet by ignorant and hateful people that have no problem laying down wild accusations with no basis in reality, just to vindicate their own prejudices.

14. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 7, 2015, 13:31 Razumen

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2015, 12:17:
Razumen wrote on May 7, 2015, 10:36:
You can't possibly be serious. You do realize the majority of Muslims in the world are peaceful, decent people right?

Well that really depends on the issue doesn't it? Especially when you look at the poll/opinion surveys and so on. And you get anywhere between 10% and 55% with open support of extremist opinions.

It depends on the region moreso. The fact that opinions vary on the issue is a given. For instance A PEW research polls showed that 70% of Muslims in Britain believed violence against civilians could never be justified, while 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 12% sometimes, and 3% thought it could be justified often. The question here is not the issue, but whether the majority of Muslims should be persecuted because of the beliefs, not even actions mind you, of the minority. If you say yes, then you're asking for nothing better than an Orwellian society-or worse.

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 7, 2015, 11:45 Razumen

Necrophob wrote on May 7, 2015, 11:39:
All the homeland spying sure didn't find the Garland would-be terrorists, and they tweeted their shit.

Reliance on data can only go so far, there will never be anything more effective than having people on the ground rather than sitting at a terminal.

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 7, 2015, 11:25 Razumen

Bard wrote on May 7, 2015, 11:08:
Anyone thinking this is to protect US from terrorism is delusional.

This is to allow the power elite to stop whistleblowers and journalists from reporting the stuff we SHOULD know about, but is not in THEIR interests that we do.

We're being lied to, and all the whistleblowers have proved it. Right now the power elite is tightening their grip, bombarding us with propaganda against Muslims, Russians and Whistleblowers, to occupy the minds of the ignorant with garbage while we have the likes of Israel's ethnic cleansing occurring, and to take more of our taxpayer money and transfer it to themselves through waging of war on those we're being convinced to hate.

Our governments have gone full rogue and fully corrupt. We're not living in democracies, but corporatocracies - of as Mussolini called them - Fascist states.

Now lets wait for the government employed propagandists to come on here and deny it.

Ethnic cleansing? That's a pretty bold anti-Semitic statement to make without any sources. As far as I know Israel isn't rounding people up into gas chambers, despite the fact that 20% of their population is Arab and of that mostly Muslim.

On the contrary, the atrocities that ISIS has committed so far are pretty well documented from may different sources.

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 7, 2015, 10:36 Razumen

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2015, 09:40:
Well it seems the elites Big Brother plans are coming along nicely in France as well as everywhere else. If the goal was actually to protect citizens then they'd bad and deport all muslims.

You can't possibly be serious. You do realize the majority of Muslims in the world are peaceful, decent people right?

News Comments > New METAL GEAR SOLID Game Plans
5. Re: New METAL GEAR SOLID Game Plans Mar 20, 2015, 10:35 Razumen

The worst part of this is we may never see another Zone of the Enders... :'(  

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
16. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 10:54 Razumen

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 10:36:
Pigeon wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 09:35:
Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 09:31:
Well Star Citizen does everything big - big promises, big coffers, big development time - so I am disappointed that the client is only going to be 100GB. Maybe it can be a stretch goal to get it up above a terabyte.

The first game to be sold pre-installed on a hard-drive

You are joking, but a USB drive delivery option seems like a good idea. 100GB is a mighty big download.

Game sizes are always going up, and the assets they are using for this game look amazing, so it's no surprise. This isn't E:D where most everything is procedurally generated and huge gaps of nothing in between actual content. Anyone that thinks that this is indicative of something wrong with the game just has their head in the sand based on the progression of gaming in the last oh, 30+ years.

News Comments > Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed
2. Re: Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed Mar 11, 2015, 10:25 Razumen

Terraria was pretty much everything (well almost) Minecraft was supposed to be, but in 2D form. Glad we'll be seeing this and a Terraria 2 in the future.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced
23. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced Mar 4, 2015, 17:38 Razumen

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 17:23:
SirKnight wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 16:49:
Razumen wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 16:27:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 14:34:
Also, I'm hearing that fucking Wilhelm scream sound effect more and more in movies, tv shows, and games these days. The other one I hear all the time is the stereotypical prison door squeak. Fucking annoying. It's not funny anymore, you guys. Stop it.

That and that generic sound effect that is invariably used for doors opening/closing in science fiction shows-argh.

I think that sound was also what DOOM used for doors, or at least very similar. I remember watching some scifi movie once (don't remember what it was called) and when doors were opening and closing I was like WTF that's DOOM sounds!

DOOM used a lot of stock audio effects. The zombie soldier sounds, imp sounds, etc. I still hear those every so often in zombie/horror shows/movies. It's kind of comical, but only because I know where I first heard them, and they're not nearly as pervasive as the Wilhelm Scream and prison door sounds.

Yep, Doom was where I first heard it too, so every-time I hear it somewhere else it always pops up in my mind. I guess that's what happens when you use stock audio, but it still kind of annoys me.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced
15. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced Mar 4, 2015, 16:27 Razumen

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 14:34:
Also, I'm hearing that fucking Wilhelm scream sound effect more and more in movies, tv shows, and games these days. The other one I hear all the time is the stereotypical prison door squeak. Fucking annoying. It's not funny anymore, you guys. Stop it.

That and that generic sound effect that is invariably used for doors opening/closing in science fiction shows-argh.

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Released; Missing Co-op Complaints
6. Re: Resident Evil Revelations 2 Released; Missing Co-op Complaints Feb 25, 2015, 13:00 Razumen

necrosis wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 12:49:
Darks wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 12:10:
necrosis wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 10:28:
Here come the people bitching and moaning about the removal something a very small amount of people will do.

Oh wait...

But I mean seriously. Split screen on PC? Wut?

I could care less about Split Screen, but no Coop that was promised is another thing entirely and unacceptable.

The friends I hang out with live and breathe Coop its the first thing we look at in a game.

Its the deciding factor in most of our game purchases.
Oh I completely get the co-op thing. Its something that has been axed from PC games in the last what... 10 years for no damned reason. I wish it came back.

The split screen on PC part is what confuses me.

I play split-screen games on my PC a lot, especially on the one hooked up to a TV, with controllers. It's not that confusing....

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 27, 2015, 09:11 Razumen

My laptop has had a fingerprint scanner since 2009, hard to believe it's had such a slow adoption rate especially for something like cellphones.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
18. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 21, 2015, 09:33 Razumen

descender wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 08:43:
Whats the thing with procedural generation anyway

Well you basically have 2 options in development. Create all of the content for your game, or create a way to generate content for your game.

Somehow "randomly generated content" became synonymous with "infinitely repayable" but in practice it's more like "infinitely repetitive".

That's kind of disingenuous, the best games with procedural generation still have developer made content, there's just an algorithm that randomizes it each time to make each play through unique and different, ala Spelunky or Rogue Legacy.

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Nominees
24. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Nominees Jan 15, 2015, 10:59 Razumen

Those GOTY nominations are bunk, DA:I and SoM I can understand, but not the others. Wolfenstein should be up there, as well as Divinity: OS. Other good ones are Alien Isolation and Banished.  

News Comments > Evolve System Specs
26. Re: Evolve System Specs Jan 13, 2015, 18:54 Razumen

descender wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 18:16:
Dev's stopped compressing everything as much as they could on to install media YEARS ago as a deterrent to piracy. Pretty sure that's not new news.

Also... I wouldn't consider a 1 generation gap for video card and CPU "ridiculously low" min to max specs at all. Scalability used to mean if you had a PC, it would generally run in some fashion or another. There is no real reason that they couldn't run this game on considerably lower specs (maybe not a lower cpu, but definitely GPU) other than they basically suck and didn't feel like giving us that option.

If you actually consider what the specs here are... they are all over the place and make little sense among themselves... especially for the graphical fidelity in this game.
Requires a DX11 card but only requires 1GB of VRAM?
Requires a 64bit CPU yet only require 4GB of system RAM?
They are basically arbitrarily "requiring" you to have a new system that can still actually be considerably slower than older systems that are just on the wrong side of their cut-offs.

They don't even seem to care if it could run on lower specs because they basically didn't even bother to find out if it would. These system requirements scream "made up on a friday afternoon" to me, and DX11 is the only real requirement on this list at all.

First of all, the generation of hardware doesn't matter much, performance does; the Core2DuoE6600 is roughly five tiers lower than the I7-920
(http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html) while the disparity between GPU's is around 3-6 tiers different.
(http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html)
Disregarding price because buying that old of hardware is unpractical, the performance disparities here are pretty big, if these specs are accurate (I take all specs with a grain of salt) it's obvious that the engine can scale well. As for whether it can run on lower hardware, well it probably can, but it will depend on what tweaks and loss of fidelity the player will be able to put up with, adjustments that the average player isn't going to be arsed to do anyways-thus why the minimum specs are probably more liberal than they need be.

Also, Whether a GPU is DX11 has nothing to do with how much VRAM the game requires. A game could require a DX11 card but only need 256MB of vram to run, or it could require 1.5GB, it all depends on how much the game requires to load into memory. The same goes for the CPU, whether or not it's 64bit has no bearing on how much it needs to load into the system memory.

What some people don't realize is these are the recommended specs for this game and this game only, they're not recommendations for a new system, and they're certainly not going to say, "well, you only need 4GB of system ram for our game, but you know, you should get 8GB regardless." No one should ever build a system based some game's recommended system requirements!

I still don't buy the game size as an argument against piracy, you're effectively arguing that by being lazy and not compressing as much data as they can (something that can actually hinder ingame performance) they're effectively trying to fight piracy by....doing nothing? If they were really concerned with piracy, they would implement better protections than making a large game. With the high speed connections of the present and the fact that pirates will compress a pirated game anyways, the idea that developers are just making as much content as they can in order for the game to be less easily pirate-able is just ridiculous. Game size has, and always will be a product of the medium on which it is transferred, it has been like this for floppies, CDs, DVD's and now Bluray, because given an arbitrary amount of space, artists will always find a way to fill it up.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2015, 19:01.

276 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo