Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Razumen

Real Name Razumen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2010, 15:29
Total Comments 266 (Amateur)
User ID 55599

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > New METAL GEAR SOLID Game Plans
5. Re: New METAL GEAR SOLID Game Plans Mar 20, 2015, 10:35 Razumen

The worst part of this is we may never see another Zone of the Enders... :'(  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
16. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 10:54 Razumen

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 10:36:
Pigeon wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 09:35:
Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 09:31:
Well Star Citizen does everything big - big promises, big coffers, big development time - so I am disappointed that the client is only going to be 100GB. Maybe it can be a stretch goal to get it up above a terabyte.

The first game to be sold pre-installed on a hard-drive

You are joking, but a USB drive delivery option seems like a good idea. 100GB is a mighty big download.

Game sizes are always going up, and the assets they are using for this game look amazing, so it's no surprise. This isn't E:D where most everything is procedurally generated and huge gaps of nothing in between actual content. Anyone that thinks that this is indicative of something wrong with the game just has their head in the sand based on the progression of gaming in the last oh, 30+ years.

News Comments > Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed
2. Re: Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed Mar 11, 2015, 10:25 Razumen

Terraria was pretty much everything (well almost) Minecraft was supposed to be, but in 2D form. Glad we'll be seeing this and a Terraria 2 in the future.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced
23. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced Mar 4, 2015, 17:38 Razumen

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 17:23:
SirKnight wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 16:49:
Razumen wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 16:27:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 14:34:
Also, I'm hearing that fucking Wilhelm scream sound effect more and more in movies, tv shows, and games these days. The other one I hear all the time is the stereotypical prison door squeak. Fucking annoying. It's not funny anymore, you guys. Stop it.

That and that generic sound effect that is invariably used for doors opening/closing in science fiction shows-argh.

I think that sound was also what DOOM used for doors, or at least very similar. I remember watching some scifi movie once (don't remember what it was called) and when doors were opening and closing I was like WTF that's DOOM sounds!

DOOM used a lot of stock audio effects. The zombie soldier sounds, imp sounds, etc. I still hear those every so often in zombie/horror shows/movies. It's kind of comical, but only because I know where I first heard them, and they're not nearly as pervasive as the Wilhelm Scream and prison door sounds.

Yep, Doom was where I first heard it too, so every-time I hear it somewhere else it always pops up in my mind. I guess that's what happens when you use stock audio, but it still kind of annoys me.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced
15. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced Mar 4, 2015, 16:27 Razumen

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 14:34:
Also, I'm hearing that fucking Wilhelm scream sound effect more and more in movies, tv shows, and games these days. The other one I hear all the time is the stereotypical prison door squeak. Fucking annoying. It's not funny anymore, you guys. Stop it.

That and that generic sound effect that is invariably used for doors opening/closing in science fiction shows-argh.

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Released; Missing Co-op Complaints
6. Re: Resident Evil Revelations 2 Released; Missing Co-op Complaints Feb 25, 2015, 13:00 Razumen

necrosis wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 12:49:
Darks wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 12:10:
necrosis wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 10:28:
Here come the people bitching and moaning about the removal something a very small amount of people will do.

Oh wait...

But I mean seriously. Split screen on PC? Wut?

I could care less about Split Screen, but no Coop that was promised is another thing entirely and unacceptable.

The friends I hang out with live and breathe Coop its the first thing we look at in a game.

Its the deciding factor in most of our game purchases.
Oh I completely get the co-op thing. Its something that has been axed from PC games in the last what... 10 years for no damned reason. I wish it came back.

The split screen on PC part is what confuses me.

I play split-screen games on my PC a lot, especially on the one hooked up to a TV, with controllers. It's not that confusing....

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 27, 2015, 09:11 Razumen

My laptop has had a fingerprint scanner since 2009, hard to believe it's had such a slow adoption rate especially for something like cellphones.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
18. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 21, 2015, 09:33 Razumen

descender wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 08:43:
Whats the thing with procedural generation anyway

Well you basically have 2 options in development. Create all of the content for your game, or create a way to generate content for your game.

Somehow "randomly generated content" became synonymous with "infinitely repayable" but in practice it's more like "infinitely repetitive".

That's kind of disingenuous, the best games with procedural generation still have developer made content, there's just an algorithm that randomizes it each time to make each play through unique and different, ala Spelunky or Rogue Legacy.

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Nominees
24. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Nominees Jan 15, 2015, 10:59 Razumen

Those GOTY nominations are bunk, DA:I and SoM I can understand, but not the others. Wolfenstein should be up there, as well as Divinity: OS. Other good ones are Alien Isolation and Banished.  

News Comments > Evolve System Specs
26. Re: Evolve System Specs Jan 13, 2015, 18:54 Razumen

descender wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 18:16:
Dev's stopped compressing everything as much as they could on to install media YEARS ago as a deterrent to piracy. Pretty sure that's not new news.

Also... I wouldn't consider a 1 generation gap for video card and CPU "ridiculously low" min to max specs at all. Scalability used to mean if you had a PC, it would generally run in some fashion or another. There is no real reason that they couldn't run this game on considerably lower specs (maybe not a lower cpu, but definitely GPU) other than they basically suck and didn't feel like giving us that option.

If you actually consider what the specs here are... they are all over the place and make little sense among themselves... especially for the graphical fidelity in this game.
Requires a DX11 card but only requires 1GB of VRAM?
Requires a 64bit CPU yet only require 4GB of system RAM?
They are basically arbitrarily "requiring" you to have a new system that can still actually be considerably slower than older systems that are just on the wrong side of their cut-offs.

They don't even seem to care if it could run on lower specs because they basically didn't even bother to find out if it would. These system requirements scream "made up on a friday afternoon" to me, and DX11 is the only real requirement on this list at all.

First of all, the generation of hardware doesn't matter much, performance does; the Core2DuoE6600 is roughly five tiers lower than the I7-920
(http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html) while the disparity between GPU's is around 3-6 tiers different.
(http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html)
Disregarding price because buying that old of hardware is unpractical, the performance disparities here are pretty big, if these specs are accurate (I take all specs with a grain of salt) it's obvious that the engine can scale well. As for whether it can run on lower hardware, well it probably can, but it will depend on what tweaks and loss of fidelity the player will be able to put up with, adjustments that the average player isn't going to be arsed to do anyways-thus why the minimum specs are probably more liberal than they need be.

Also, Whether a GPU is DX11 has nothing to do with how much VRAM the game requires. A game could require a DX11 card but only need 256MB of vram to run, or it could require 1.5GB, it all depends on how much the game requires to load into memory. The same goes for the CPU, whether or not it's 64bit has no bearing on how much it needs to load into the system memory.

What some people don't realize is these are the recommended specs for this game and this game only, they're not recommendations for a new system, and they're certainly not going to say, "well, you only need 4GB of system ram for our game, but you know, you should get 8GB regardless." No one should ever build a system based some game's recommended system requirements!

I still don't buy the game size as an argument against piracy, you're effectively arguing that by being lazy and not compressing as much data as they can (something that can actually hinder ingame performance) they're effectively trying to fight piracy by....doing nothing? If they were really concerned with piracy, they would implement better protections than making a large game. With the high speed connections of the present and the fact that pirates will compress a pirated game anyways, the idea that developers are just making as much content as they can in order for the game to be less easily pirate-able is just ridiculous. Game size has, and always will be a product of the medium on which it is transferred, it has been like this for floppies, CDs, DVD's and now Bluray, because given an arbitrary amount of space, artists will always find a way to fill it up.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2015, 19:01.

News Comments > Evolve System Specs
22. Re: Evolve System Specs Jan 13, 2015, 09:51 Razumen

descender wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 16:33:
SLI isn't just unsupported, it's unplayable.

LOL... Cryengine.

There is nothing really sinister behind the 50GB install, just lazy devs and an extremely weak way to stem piracy. Games have always and forever immediately ballooned to the size of the media they are sold on with no justification or real reason... just like they immediately balloon the min requirements when a new console launches.

They don't care if it could or would run on less, they aren't selling that option to you anymore. Graphics engine scalability was swallowed up by the console/PC war, and we lost.

What are you going on about? Game sizes have nothing to do with piracy, although you're right about media capacity - videogame assets take up the majority of the space and of course developers are going to try and cram as much as they can into whatever media they're working with.

Also, the Minimum specs are ridiculously low compared to the recommended, it's pretty obvious that the engine does scale really well. Yes, requirements are going to go up as games start coming from the XB1/PS4 development sphere as well, but better graphics and more demanding games are FAR overdue on PC. PC Gamers are not 'losing' out from this at all.

News Comments > Universal Combat Advanced Announced
4. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 09:22 Razumen

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:14:
You guys really have something special going on for Derek don't you

I've never played any of his games, but it's fun to watch all the drama that inevitably unfolds around news about him, especially since the Bluesnews community is such an "optimistic" place.

News Comments > Universal Combat Advanced Announced
1. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 09:01 Razumen

Derek Smart is Baaaaaaaack.  

News Comments > Steam Trades Trade CAPTCHAs
4. Re: Steam Trades Trade CAPTCHAs Jan 12, 2015, 09:07 Razumen

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 11:18:
There's not much point to the check-box version... You still have to type letters in at least half the time.

I never have to, are you sure you're not a cyborg? Or a pawn for our future quantum-based overlords of the future?

News Comments > Survarium EU Open Beta
5. Re: Survarium EU Open Beta Jan 6, 2015, 09:32 Razumen

JayDeath wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 13:23:
Fun game but the devs should be pushing the survival mode instead of the PvE mode that is riddled with hackers. When will the survival mode be available?

There is no PVE mode yet afaik, it's only PvP...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2014, 10:08 Razumen

InBlack wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 08:32:
Quinn wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 08:08:
What you are talking about is immersion for sure, but not the kind of immersion I'm talking about. I think it's comparable with doing a jigsaw puzzle and reading a good book. Dwarf Fortress gives a form of immersion similar to doing a jigzaw puzzle while The Witcher gives a form of immersion similar to reading a good book. I only care for the latter form. It's literally the one and only reason I play games.

You might not like Dwarf Fortress (and I dont either) but that doesnt mean that some people dont find it immersive. They might grow attached to their little dwarves, they might even imagine a huge setting in which their fortress resides, and even invent a back story for themselves and make up their own story. Its all down to imagination and how well the game is crafted. For them Dwarf fortress IS like reading a good book.

Anyway my point is that without good gameplay elements and an accessible UI a game can VERY EASILY break any and all immersion. It doesnt matter if the game is an indy, or a triple-A title.

Dwarf Fortress is great, but it's be a lot more immersive if the UI isn't bollocks and they got someone decent to do a standard tileset for it.

News Comments > Op Ed
64. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 17:37 Razumen

Isn't the GTA series a big parody of USA anyways? Of course there is going to be sexism, misogyny and a whole lot more, that's the whole point of the game. The game was never designed to be a source of moral rectitude other than to say "wow, look how fucked up this country is". It's like getting angry at a kettle for being black.  

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 12:36 Razumen

We live in a free society. GTA 5 should be available for any adult who wants to buy it, through any retailer who wants to sell it. But that doesn't mean its makers ought to be allowed to feel comfortable dismissing its critics in the most derisory fashion imaginable

Sigh... Yes, yes it does mean that... Now go home Polygon, you're drunk.

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
14. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 17:55 Razumen

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 17:42:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 13:34:
Dev wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 12:52:
Blue,
I don't believe this is anything to do with key resellers since key numbers are not steam tradable. The announcement also doesn't mention it. Here's text of announcement:

All new games purchased as a gift and placed in the purchaser's inventory will be untradable for 30 days. The gift may still be gifted at any time. The only change is to trading.

We've made this change to make trading gifts a better experience for those receiving the gifts. We're hoping this lowers the number of people who trade for a game only to have the game revoked later due to issues with the purchaser's payment method.

Not to mention that no key-reseller EVER sells gifts, they sell steam keys which are very much unlike steam gifts

Steam gifts are what you get from Humblebundle lately. You link account and games are "gifted"

No, Humble Bundle still gives you keys, they just use the Steam API to automatically redeem them for you. Slowly but surely, all digital retailers are finding ways to cut down on people gaming the system like they have been.

You can still gift your keys through the humble site to other people though, it's kind of not really related to this issue.

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
6. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 12:37 Razumen

Darks wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 12:18:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 12:06:
Darks wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 11:14:
Thats a bullshit policy change. Steam is getting to political.

Seems reasonable to me. Should help keep people from getting ripped off so easily.

If people are getting ripped off then there's a flaw in the way Steam is setup. Making people wait 30 days is not going to change how this works nor will it prevent people from getting ripped off. Steam needs to fix the problem and not put a band-aid on it.

This is to help stop fraud when people receive games in trades which are found to be illegitimate or whose payment was cancelled/withdrawn etc. Do you have a better idea perhaps?

266 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo