Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brandon Peters

Real Name Brandon Peters   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kalthorn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 12, 2010, 00:22
Total Comments 19 (Suspect)
User ID 55589

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2014, 14:20 Kalthorn

Had not heard of The Knick but definitely going to give it a shot now. We loved Deadwood and my wife is now a nurse so there's a good chance we'll enjoy it. Thanks!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 11:31 Kalthorn

Wow, I didn't think so many people would have non-firing actions on the mouse. Not that any of us are uber-pro headshotters but doesn't having movement or other actions on the mouse cause pressure or mouse movement right when you need to fire?

News Comments > No Man's Sky Revealed
14. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 17:31 Kalthorn

I saw Shai Hulud! Do we get hooks and thumpers too?  

News Comments > Star Lords Early Access
24. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 7, 2013, 00:27 Kalthorn

(back to off-topic of StarDrive)

Darks, Spectral,

While I'm not going to try and dissuade you from purchasing it during a sale, as you'll probably get your money's worth, I do want to mention that the bad Steam review that was definitely not the opinion of just one guy with an axe to grind.

I know the developer of StarDrive and he really did do all those things and really is not apologetic about any of it. He does love games and making games. But he also doesn't give much of a shit about people as can be seen in his public responses on Reddit and the Steam forums.

The game isn't abandoned per se, there are some minor patches, but the majority of his time is clearly going to his new endeavors. StarDrive is not my kind of game so I have no first hand experience but even his die hard supporters and modders admit that there are still some major breaking bugs, out-of-memory crashes can still occur(your system memory does not matter), balance issues, shallow tech tree, and major lack of any challenge/content late game. If you buy it, you should mod the hell out of it and save often.

Given the amount of success and audience the game found, I would have expected more continued love from a developer, not the opposite. You don't remove content from a game you plan to improve just to be able to call it "feature complete." You don't announce that your one-man studio is starting not one, but two new projects while your five-month-old game still has massive bugs.

But that's me and that's politics.

News Comments > AR/VR Headset Kickstarter
8. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 15, 2013, 02:08 Kalthorn

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 00:13:
Completely unappealing compared to something like the Oculus Rift or even Omni treadmill.

The video doesn't expound on it but the KS page shows a clip-on that covers and routes the projector images onto the lenses, apparently allowing for either image+passthrough background (AR) or just the digital image (VR).

No idea how well that works in practice but it might be comparable to the Oculus. The curved lenses in the Oculus might make all the difference though. But at least you wouldn't be tied to their surface thingy.

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins
16. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 28, 2013, 10:06 Kalthorn

Creston wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 10:59:
One thing that did have me a bit worried, though, was that the units seem to all clump up and be idiots when they move, as opposed to the neat movement in formation from the SupCom series. Can anyone with early access confirm whether or not those formations are in there? And how's the UI? As utterly BRILLIANT as SupComs?

I haven't played the newest patch but there haven't been formations so far. I think they are confirmed as a feature though. Overall the UI is great. Been awhile since I've played SupCom but this feels the same plus a little streamlined. The building menu has group hotkeys so you can quickly filter the icons/choices by type such as factory, defense, econ. The shift overlay for queued commands doesn't show paths (yet?) which I've missed (even though it could be confusing) but it may be coming. But lots of other bits work perfectly like factory waypoints and patrolling.

For everyone else wondering about idiots and pricing, meh, it's just a matter of priorities versus budget. Some of you probably buy and play a lot of games. Me not so much but I can afford to. So when the next SupCom appears and I can play *now* and support the dev team as well (somehow missed the KS campaign or the graphics threw me), it's a fairly easy decision.

I've never even wanted the interplanetary features either although that may change after I play with them. I just like the fact that there's no way to corner turtle. The generated terrain can really make for some interesting battles too. My only wish at this point (assuming they keep patching and polishing as well as they have been) is that Stealth gets modded in after release. I had sort of assumed it was on the official plan.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock
18. Re: Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock Jul 26, 2013, 12:36 Kalthorn

Not that I can tell what the end of it means, but doesn't paragraph two explicitly state that they are still going to start this new arrangement off with $1.x billion in debt?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
25. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 28, 2013, 20:00 Kalthorn

I've not played StarDrive yet so I can't speak to the current state (or bugs) but I do believe the late game slowdown is solved, or will be soon. The developer had added multithreading when I saw it last week but again, not sure if that made it into release or will be patched.  

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
27. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:19 Kalthorn

Not to be pedantic, but online games do not simply vanish from existence once they are shut down.

The publishers/owners could release the server executables to the public when they shut down, but they choose not to. That is why the game ends, not because of some magical property of being an online game.

We all know that won't happen, but even if it did, just because a new player can see all the same content 5 years after I did doesn't mean they are playing the same game. Patches, content updates, and, most importantly, the community at that point in time are all integral to the "true" game.

You can log into Everquest today and do some quests around Freeport but it won't be anything like it was for me and thousands of others in the weeks/years after launch. Call it zeitgeist or whatever you want, but the true experience of a game, of a work of art, is often wrapped up in the community and culture at that time. Can you play Super Mario Bros. 3 today? Yes. Would that experience be anything like it was when it came out? No. That experience has arguably vanished from existence.

That is sad, true, but like someone else already mentioned, makes the memories fonder. All I'm saying is that this happens regardless of the online/offline properties of a game.

News Comments > Standalone DayZ Coming
48. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 23:45 Kalthorn

PHJF wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 18:08:
OK, you and the fifty other people on the planet who swear by ARMAII are absolutely right.

Arma II is not a shitty game by any means. It's just terribly made. Bug-filled, horrible performance, terrible convoluted control scheme, and bad animations.

Ummmm that's my definition of a shitty-ass game. What standards do you go by?

I think Rattlehead meant that gameplay is the standard. Settlers of Catan is a good game regardless of the quality of the materials used to play it. The interactions encouraged and afforded by the rules are what make it good.

I've never owned or played Arma2 or DayZ, I'm just saying a lot of the problems mentioned are sort of meta, not so much the game but the buy-able product. Like if Settlers was sold with rocks and twigs as game pieces.

Control schemes though, that is definitely gameplay and kinda unforgivable.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Aug 3, 2012, 23:08 Kalthorn

Yeah, not so good. I do enjoy his first Geek Remixed "album" (that you can find free at geekremixed.com) as background music while programming.

Fatboy is a local personality, just a well-known geek (due to hard work no doubt) that also runs a bunch of cool events around Portland so I'm just glad to see him pop up on Blue's.

News Comments > BF3 Open Beta Begins
94. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 29, 2011, 21:36 Kalthorn

I know this isn't an ever-present problem anymore, but traditionally Alt-Tabbing out of a full-screen game caused a loss of video context. This meant that all the graphical resources needed to be re-sent to the video card once you switched back to the game (and all the resources for the desktop (Aero, etc) needed to be loaded before you could fully alt-tab out).

These days I think it depends heavily on the game and whether or not it's DirectX or OpenGL (as well as the user's system of course). If you're running on high settings with a beefy video card and 4GB of system ram, I doubt the programmers are going to decide to keep an extra 512+MB of ram tied to their game client (outside of the actual game logic) just so that they can copy it all back to the video card in case of emergency. Which means they need to get the (likely compressed) data off the hard-drive again.

But then again, many of today's 3D engines are constantly streaming large amounts of updated graphics data to the video card per frame, so maybe they have most of it sitting in system memory already.

Regardless of the technical aspects, it's a really dumb decision. Once you are in the game, you shouldn't need anything outside of the game to keep playing. What if MS Word 20XX had spell checking in a separate app? Would anyone say "oh just Alt-Tab and Ctrl-V! Those are PC standards, people, duh!"

News Comments > Hellgate Beta Opens
2. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 11:13 Kalthorn

It has to be, right?  

News Comments > Gamebryo Acquired
17. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 24, 2010, 14:40 Kalthorn

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 23:18:
id has coded several engines which sucked at many things and excelled at other things.

This is exactly my point. The definition of failure is attempting something and to not succeed. To say that they failed at skies or suck at creating skies is wrong. They were simply trying to succeed at making brown-colored corridors run really well. And they did. And they did it so well, and made such "fully functional" engines that practically everyone licensed them at one point or another.

The only engines that don't suck at large outdoor environments are those that were designed exactly for those environments. The Peggle engine (whatever it may be) sucks at outdoor environments. It doesn't even have skies. Is it then fair to say that the Peggle programmers failed at skies? No. Is it fair to say that any engine they program forever after will suck at skies? No.

14. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 21:24 Kalthorn

Quake and Quake 2 didn't "have skies" because id wasn't trying to make an outdoor super-awesome-sky engine. So, no, I wasn't joking.

If I code a text file parser, I'm not trying to code something else. If you then try to make it do something else, you don't get to blame my technical skills when it doesn't work or works poorly. So when I say the engine can "do anything it tries to do" I don't mean "can do anything you try to do with it after it has been created."

I am in no way trying to say that an id engine can do anything. Or that modders or anyone else can accomplish any goal or load any kind of level with an id engine.

What I am saying is that Carmack and company are extremely capable when it comes to graphics technology. And while I have no opinions on the Rage engine itself, I tend to believe that if they designed it to have big, beautiful outdoor scenes, then those scenes are going to perform wonderfully.

9. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 05:04 Kalthorn

I believe an id engine can do anything it tries to do. You guys are acting like they tried and failed at outdoor scenes in previous engines.  

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week
16. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 30, 2010, 02:35 Kalthorn

...as shown by #12, #13, and #14.  

News Comments > OpenGL 4.0 Announced
10. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 19:38 Kalthorn

And that's because they haven't updated the spec in any meaningful way in forever. Well, that and releasing on the xbox requires DirectX. I'm betting there will be some decent PC games using it soon.  

News Comments > OpenGL 4.0 Announced
8. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 19:33 Kalthorn

Sort of outside the scope of this website, but it's still quite relevant outside of games. Anything cross-platform is going to use it such as medical imaging software. Our visualization software are work uses OpenGL so we can run natively on Macs and I can finally stop pining for a switch to DirectX.

And Guybrush, the good thing is that hardware support should already be in place. The DX 11 ATI cards advertise OpenGL 3.1 support (which didn't actually require diff. hardware from 2.x I believe) so at least for those, it should just be a matter of new drivers.

[Edit] Looks like we still have the state machine though

19 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo