Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 302 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible
7. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 11:10 TheEmissary

Sounds like portions of the engine are tied to framerate assumptions. Remember on the new Need for Speed game when you uncap the framerate I think that is what they are afraid would happen. I don't know why this is still an issue as the graphical frame rate doesn't have to be tied to the physics simulation speed.

Its not the greatest news to be hearing about the port but Its not the worst thing ever. At least we are getting the game at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 4
2. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 4 Jun 12, 2014, 03:42 TheEmissary

Prez wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:56:
Will Linux Ever Be Regarded as an Equal to Windows and Consoles at E3?

No.

It might be possible if there was a major corporation spending the time and money to do an advertising blitz. At best it will get treated like how PC gaming in general is treated, which is to pretend it doesn't exist.

E3 is largely console only convention for the most part.Most of the upcoming PC exclusives have little to no presence at E3 and pretty much has been that way for a decade. Linux however will most likely be treated fairly at smaller and more inclusive venues like PAX.

News Comments > More Games to Support AMD's Mantle
23. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 11, 2014, 20:50 TheEmissary

bhcompy wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 19:58:
Quboid wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 17:18:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:57:
So for someone who doesn't usually follow AMD stuff ever and without googling, what the hell is this mantle anyways? Someone give me a quick breakdown.

There's hopefully more qualified people than me to say (hat's off to jdreyer, BTW) but basically it's an alternative to Direct 3D which improves performance. Specifically, it reduces the amount of CPU power that's needed by the graphics card, so developers can dedicate more to AI/physics/even more complex graphics/whatever. The next version of Direct 3D, in DirectX 12, will apparently have similar performance boosts, supposedly of up to about 30% (but as with drivers, real world improvements are somewhat less).

Again, I'm no expert but AFAIK, Mantle isn't tied to AMD hardware in the same way as PhysX or TXAA are to Nvidia gear. If Nvidia wanted to, they could add support to Geforce cards but unless the market forces their hand, I expect they'd be loath to embrace an AMD technology - unless they fancy pulling a Microsoft by embracing, extending and exterminating it.

It's worth noting that AMD provides the video hardware for both Xbox and Playstation, now, and that Mantle is supported across all 3 hardware platforms. This is the real benefit, as it allows for easier cross-platform support. It may not do much for AMD in the PC space as far as competing with nVidia, but it does make it easier for developers to work on all three major platforms, which is beneficial for everyone(particularly us PC gamers that get stuck with awful ports, or no ports).

Mantle is not supported on the consoles at all. The consoles have their own low level api that is proprietary to the console manufacturers.

Tom's Hardware article about Mantle

20. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 11, 2014, 19:39 TheEmissary

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 18:29:
Trevellian wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 11:19:
Is this where Nvidia gets to cry foul about their competitor getting to have an edge in certain games now like AMD did?
They can try, the difference is the SDK is open to anyone who wants to implement it, that includes nvidia. So if nvidia doesn't want to include the optimizations, then it's no ones fault other than theirs. Unlike physx which is closed source, and will fully fuck-on anyone who dares use a nvidia and ati card at once, including reversing gravity, and slowing the machine down to a crawl. Want a good example of it? Try the metro games.

Mantle is highly optimized for a specific architecture there is no denying that. If it was just a software optimization alone they would have backported it to some of their earlier graphics cards but they haven't. This should speak volumes.

Nvidia and other gpu vendors aren't going want to constantly playing catch up to standard that AMD can change at a whim. So regardless of a SDK being available or not its going to be defacto closed standard. Manufacturers will likely still have to reach a patent or licensing agreement to even use it as well. New versions of OpenGL, DirectX, or some future standard run in a vendor neutral way is how a similar api will reach mass implementation.

6. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 11, 2014, 12:54 TheEmissary

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 12:44:
Trevellian wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 11:19:
Is this where Nvidia gets to cry foul about their competitor getting to have an edge in certain games now like AMD did? Listening to those guys talk about AMD and Mantle for 5 minutes at the Hardline showing really kinda irked me after they just got done whining about Nvidia's extra Anti Aliasing features in Watch_Dogs. Hypocrites.

Don't get me wrong, I want competition between the two. Just don't whine about your competitor having an advantage in 1 game when you clearly have an advantage in others.

But didn't mantle become a bust? They were claiming improvements of 30%, but all I ever saw in real-world testing was 5-10%.

On game demos that were built from the ground up to use it the performance gains were more dramatic. I wouldn't call it a bust just yet.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 10, 2014, 20:15 TheEmissary

So they are going to default 50,000 to 150,000 home routers in to becoming public hotspots. The question that immediately comes to mind is what are they going to do to the issue of bandwidth caps and whether the public traffic is counted towards the paying consumer? It would be pretty shady to force share a paying user's connection and make them suffer through congestion and usage. The other elephant in the room is how are they going to secure the consumers LAN against public traffic.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 5, 2014, 11:55 TheEmissary

I really wish the FCC would grow a backbone and stop letting the telecoms more or less blackmail local and state governments.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 2, 2014, 13:52 TheEmissary

The problem with RTS on a console has nothing to do with console hardware but the control scheme. To play any RTS at a high level you need to be able to control units the moment you need them and be able to group units to hotkeys or etc. Consoles have a reduced number of buttons so your forced in to dealing with more AI automation or menu wheels or nested menus, not ideal.

You might be able to create a RTS but it would have be designed in a way that reduces the need for micromanagement and less emphasis on actions per minute (APM). There is no hope for a game like Starcraft2 being played competitively on a PS/XB gamepads but it might be possible on the WiiU.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2014, 13:58.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 2, 2014, 13:29 TheEmissary

Its going to be a very long time before you see people switching to 4K TVs. I really doubt the market is going to tolerate movies that can only be played on a single display brand. More than likely they are attempting this with either proprietary codecs that require partial decoding in the TV or HDCP. Early adopters will get screwed over by this but the average consumer just will be just fine.

4K TVs are obscenely priced at the moment so I don't think there is any real danger of vendor-proprietary films just yet.

News Comments > DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support
35. Re: DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support May 29, 2014, 20:51 TheEmissary

Slick wrote on May 29, 2014, 19:14:
you're absolutely right, mp bugs sting more. however that doesn't change the fact that both of these titles are based on very complicated layered code which are both just as hard to develop for. if anything the MP variant is harder to code for because people are so less forgiving in a MP environment.

really the only way is to support the title after release, and iron the bugs out. which believe it or not, they've done with BF4. unfortunately pretty much everyone i know has stopped playing it long ago, and i don't like solo-pugging. so i barely play it myself, but it is a different beast from what it launched as.

now if they raise that tick rate, like LVLCAP already said they've done on the test servers, then that will be a real game changer. he said he never trades (i kill you and you kill me) anymore, and when you get hit behind cover you're juuuuust behind cover, not like you've moved 3-4 feet behind cover and then still get like like it is now with the 10 tick rate.

people still play CS 1.6 competitively because it was supported for years after release. when gamers stop playing a game 2-3 month in because it's not perfect on launch, well then, i don't know what to tell you guys.

can someone tell me a game as technically challenging as BF4 that had all the bugs caught before going gold? oh you can't. how about this, just tell me a game that's as technically challenging as BF4, and we'll leave it at that... lol

Except that BF4 uses a slightly iterated version of the same engine that has been used in several other games such as BC1, BC2, 1943, and BF3. Also if they had a real beta instead of a timed demo a lot of these issues might have been dealt with.

Most people expect minor bugs or things to break slightly but they don't expect games to constantly crash.

News Comments > DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support
31. Re: DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support May 29, 2014, 19:07 TheEmissary

Slick wrote on May 29, 2014, 18:51:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 29, 2014, 15:34:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 29, 2014, 15:15:
A major update to the netcode? All it needs is more than 10 ticks per second for client updates... heck even 30 would fix most issues.
Nahh man it is way more complicated than that. You have no idea.
Just like the mod tools they did not want to release those for BF3 because they were way too complicated for the community.

you're right, it is more complicated.

ie. releasing mod tools like they did with BF2, and then have every other server having commanders spam vehicle airdrops until the server is seized with 1000 vehicles.

there is no easy answer to any of this, anyone purporting as such is ignorant. these game engines are some of the most complicated pieces of living code on the planet.

and frostbite is doing some pretty crazy shit. it would be nice if people actually remembered that when they focus only on the bugs.

skyrim (and every ES game) is famously riddled with hilarious bugs, but it's endearing to the franchise. Battlefield games are also always full of bugs, and yet, they're always "COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE".

it's the difference in the rage-meters between RPG players and FPS players mostly. in BF we see more people crying and screaming like toddlers, and less people doubled over laughing at shit like this:

Skyrim Flying Horse

ask yourselves this: would you rather yourselves have Call of Duty type development where they use a 15 year old engine as the base (Q3A 1999) for reliability instead of pushing things forward, often at the cost of actually having to debug shit tons of new issues that are a result of continually pushing forward what can be done in a 64-player FPS match?

You can't compare a Singleplayer RPG bugs with a competitive/multiplayer shooter. The bugs experienced in a SP have less of a impact because of the save system. If you experience a bug in Skyrim you can revert back a save. In a MP game with persistent stats you aren't able to get that moment in time back when they ruin the match for you.

News Comments > Web-based Assassin's Creed Pirates Demo
2. Re: Web-based Assassin's Creed Pirates Demo May 20, 2014, 12:56 TheEmissary

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2014, 12:50:
Jesus, the tits have been milked off the poor cow at this point with this property. Take a break fellas.

Ignore that this is a web/mobile port of Assassin's Creed IV for a moment and look at what it actually is. It is pretty impressive to see a game look like that running through WebGL and Javascript.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2014, 11:29 TheEmissary

Crytek's observation about the ram being a future bottleneck parallels the debates that Epic made around the launch of the XBox360/PS3. We won't see the effects now because the amount of RAM present is still large enough to do everything they wish to do. The problem will come mid to late generation when they want do advanced techniques or a certain graphical fidelity.

Remember the texture streaming issues and pop-in the 360/PS3 had this generation and that is just one implication of low amount of RAM. That said the developers will try to fill what ever they have and always ask for more if they can.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 17, 2014, 15:10 TheEmissary

Cable TV has a very low signal to noise ratio with probably 20 junk channels for every quality channel. Most consumers probably at most only watch maybe 5-10 channels on a regular basis yet we are forced in to paying for tier fees for stuff we don't watch.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse May 7, 2014, 00:52 TheEmissary

I really wish you could only pay for the channels you want. There is so many junk channels that are either filler-reality TV or duplicate channels that finding quality TV content isn't worth the effort. For the channels you do want they spread those out in to other channel tiers to further bloat the channel count.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
16. Re: Evening Interviews May 3, 2014, 18:30 TheEmissary

shihonage wrote on May 3, 2014, 15:58:
HorrorScope wrote on May 3, 2014, 11:26:
Hi Tim, but what are quests/choice and consequences at a coding level? If/Then, Case, Array or some form of programming derivative of those, or something else? Enlighten. Perhaps magic?

I talked to Tim Cain, he's very humble, however he's the one that wrote the Fallout engine and set the tone for everything. He left the Fallout 2 team after Fargo and Co. came along and started strong-arming one decision after another that he didn't agree with.

This is why Fallout 2 was no longer a cohesive world, but something that started the "lulzy sci-fi theme park" trend we now unfortunately see with Fallout3/NV and Wasteland 2. Fortunately for Fallout 2, it was still powered by Cain's gameplay engine and stood strong on its gameplay and scripting.

As for choices and consequences, the IF/THEN approach quickly spirals into unmanageable nightmare, even if the C&C is as localized as being able to receive and hand-in 3 different quests to one NPC in any order.

It goes really out of control when you have C&C that cross-links different things across the world which can also happen in different order and yet have to make contextual sense.

This is because in one way or another, each "IF-THEN" statement has to be aware of a number of others before it does anything.

You need either a large team with tons of documentation (and then you still end up with a buggy mess like Fallout 2), or very efficient and innovative automated tools geared specifically toward maintenance and management of dialogue and quest scripting.

When I was making a concept gameplay demo for my own Fallout clone, I had to pause and spend a year writing a special quest compiler, which would take interdependencies into account. Otherwise, correcting one error in scripting, changing one parameter, would collapse the whole web of interdependencies, which was unmanageable.

The "Lulzy Scifi" as you put it was always there in Wasteland and Fallout. Just go back and look at some of the npcs for the original game or enemy types they had. Those games were products of the time and filled with pop-culture references. Too bad you can't really see that.

I am sure the "IF/Then" is just pseudo-shorthand for a quick explaination of how the quest system at a high level might work in the sense some actions have reactions or consequences. I don't think he was being literal as this can be implemented several different ways in the actual code.

News Comments > Free Battlefield 1942 Redux
5. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Redux Apr 18, 2014, 19:39 TheEmissary

Umm, not burst anyone's bubble here but this game has been free on Origin for two years. They made it free after the 10th Anniversary of BF1942. They haven't tried selling it since. Keep in mind this version doesn't have the expansions.

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2012/11/download-bf1942-for-free/

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Getting AMD Mantle Support
6. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Getting AMD Mantle Support Apr 15, 2014, 15:39 TheEmissary

I would think that APIs like OpenCL or Directcompute would have more impact on the game with offloading some of the turn computations. In turn-based games there really isn't a whole lot of animations going on. I suppose it could be useful for increasing the mesh quality and image quality. Civilization V did use tessellation.  

News Comments > Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing
7. Re: Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing Mar 19, 2014, 20:09 TheEmissary

Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 19:29:
$19 per plus 5% for full source code?
That's better than UDK in some ways, as you get full source code, but less good in that, with UDK, you could work for months without paying anything.

There is nothing stopping you from prototyping or writing code for your game using UDK and then upgrade to the full engine later. Regardless $19 a month is pretty cheap even for indie developers.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - TowerFall Ascension
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - TowerFall Ascension Mar 12, 2014, 17:45 TheEmissary

saluk wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 17:20:
The last nail in the Ouya coffin.

I think the concept of a micro-console is sound its just there was nothing novel about the Ouya. Most of the games on the Ouya were either ports of Android games or multiplatform games. TowerFall was one of the few games that was actually generating any interest at all for the system and they lost that. As of right now there is no reason to own an Ouya. Basing a system on being a cheap emulation box isn't a healthy model.

302 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo