Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 355 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
29. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 15:30 TheEmissary

Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 13:47:
Also, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. All someone needs to do is code a launcher program which manages all of your, well, launchers. All you'd see is your list of games, and then when you doubleclick them, it automatically launches the e-store which corresponds, and then the game. You'd never have to interact with the e-store, you'd wait a few seconds, and then your game would start. it's brilliant I tell you!

Then you'd be able to support the developers themselves by not buying from 3rd party corporations. Instead of letting a corporation which had NOTHING to do with the game's development skim %30, (of gross, which is insane. %30 of net would be a hard pill to swallow. But %30 of gross? that's insane) More money would go directly to the developers. Is altruistic at worst, and will come back in the form of higher game budgets for us gamers to enjoy at best.

It's the perfect solution, I don't know why anyone hasn't thought of it yet. The ability to somehow manage games from all sorts of competing developers, with the sense that your collection was still somehow all in the same place. Oh wait, they did. It's called "placing a shortcut on your desktop"

fucking gamers *shakes head*

I have no clue if the ~30% is fair or not, but distribution services are hosting the files and other game features that has to be paid for somehow. In the case its a percent per unit. On the consoles you have similar fees for releasing your games regardless if its digital. Physical retailers take a cut as well. Its part of the cost of doing business and being able to reach larger audience/market.

There is nothing stopping these developers from self-publishing or using an engine with better terms. The developers choose off-shelf engines and pre-built solutions for a reason.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
12. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 12:24 TheEmissary

I think this is mostly to close the TitanFall loophole with Version 1.x of the Source Engine. Titanfall uses a modified Source Engine but its only available on Origin. That said I would imagine there is likely other licensing options.  

News Comments > Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold
33. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 3, 2015, 18:18 TheEmissary

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 20:18:
Works well for Eve, don't see a problem with this at all.

Oh and 40k a month from garrison missions, sorry, have to call you bluff on that, they are not near as profitable. If you want to make money in Wow, you have to spend a lot of time in instances.

You can get about 800-1100+ daily from garrison if you factor in the missions (treasure/gold), salvage, and even more if you happen to be smart with how you handle your profession mats. Getting 40k a month isn't too outrageous as you might think.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Announcement at E3?
20. Re: Fallout 4 Announcement at E3? Mar 2, 2015, 12:06 TheEmissary

There is quite a difference between a rendering engine and gameplay engine. I am sure the rendering engine has been modified extensively since Morrowind but you can definitely see the same odd game-play quirks in all their games.

I hope Fallout 4 is more New Vegas than Fallout 3. I felt the story in NV tied more with the plot/lore of the older games.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced
14. Re: Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced Mar 2, 2015, 11:30 TheEmissary

You would think with a major shift in the BF formula that they would be more cautious. This title could fall on its face like BF4 did so its bit silly to go to the well this early again.

I can't say I won't ever buy Hardline but I know I won't be buying it at the $60 or $110 for the complete version right now.

News Comments > DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing?
10. Re: DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing? Feb 25, 2015, 11:00 TheEmissary

LurkerLito wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 10:37:
Won't be long till this is disabled at the driver level. Nvidia will definitely not allow this to work. They already disable physx if it detects you not using an Nvidia card as your primary display IIRC. The feature is something many users would love to have, but the graphics manufacturers will despise. Especially the one in the lead *cough* nvidia *cough*.

If its a optional feature of DX12 NVidia likely won't implement it but if its a mandatory feature they don't really have a choice here.

For instance Nvidia is playing hardball with supporting the Adaptive Sync defined in the Vesa 1.2a and 1.3a specs. If Adaptive sync gets elevated to core and they still don't support it they risk not supporting new monitors.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2015, 11:06.

News Comments > DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing?
9. Re: DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing? Feb 25, 2015, 10:50 TheEmissary

I am honestly surprised it took this long to standardize the API to allow this. Hopefully this will eventually lead to the hardware sli/crossfire interfaces to be standardized as well.

Then again this could be just meant for laptops and tablets that use hybrid gpus.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Beta Details
9. Re: Battlefield Hardline Beta Details Feb 9, 2015, 10:48 TheEmissary

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 09:45:
The more reason to play the older BF games like 3-4
Hopefully most of the hackers moved on to the new game, so the older ones are a bit more enjoyable.

Its a real shame that there really isn't too many combined arms shooters like BF. Games like ArmA and Planetside are off in their own niches. The only real competition in this space is from the legacy titles. I am still kind of mad about the gamespy shutdown and what it did for the BF2 scene.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 17:49 TheEmissary

I hope "Ultra HD Bluray" is a working title and not what it will actually be called. Can they cram any more buzz terms in there. It really should be short and sweet and able to have a meaningful abbreviation.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Server "Strike" Plans
55. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 2, 2015, 14:22 TheEmissary

Matchmaking can be great when it works out that your placed on a server with people of comparable skill or experience. The main problems with matchmaking right now really is either its really strict which lengthens the queue time or have a lax policy just emphasizing on filling lobbies. In both cases it really comes down to the working population of the game and how they define the player skill.  

30. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 18:36 TheEmissary

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 17:26:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 16:04:
The reaction from dice will most likely be that games going forward won't have any dedicated servers and just be instanced from a cluster of servers hosted by Amazon or Microsoft, 64 player games be damned if need be.

Hardline will still have dedicated servers but who wants to bet that the Star Wars flavored Battlefield game is "one click play" match making on instanced servers.
I know this is presented as a bad thing, but really, that's my ideal. Compare stats, find 23/31/47/63 equally skilled players, start a VM with the game server, pick 3 similar players by factors such as tendency to play the objective vs. killing, lone wolf vs. following orders, talkativeness, etc. and squad me with them.

A data-driven approach to creating the perfect game every time? Sign me up.

TitanFall supposedly does this and the quality of the matches really isn't much better than ones found through a server browser. It seems like all it does is give the developer complete control over the end client experience.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam
8. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam Jan 1, 2015, 13:44 TheEmissary

I a have feeling it was a case of the game not selling at all on the service. Everywhere I have seen ACM still sold its under $5 in some bargin bin. Also It might have to do with controlling the reputation of the Alien brand. A new Alien game came out not to long ago and some people might be put off my the user reviews of the other games.  

3. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 13:07 TheEmissary

I don't think DICE will react at all to this considering they are shifting gears anyway to promote Hardline. I think these server admins should instead protest by not paying for servers for hardline.  

News Comments > Christmas Consolidation
15. Re: Christmas Consolidation Dec 27, 2014, 00:29 TheEmissary

Krovven wrote on Dec 27, 2014, 00:04:
TheEmissary wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 20:34:
They really shouldn't be using third party sites to release information when the first places people will be likely looking for this information are their official status pages.

Think about how that would work for a minute....figure it out yet? How would they post information on their official websites when THEIR FUCKING SITES ARE DOWN? /facepalm

For thousands of companies, communicating to their customers via Twitter or Facebook is the norm now because they can reach a wider audience via retweets and wall posts from those users. Where have you been for the last 5+ years?

The threats were made as much as a month ago and continued throughout the month. BBC has even apparently interviewed some of the assholes that did it. They did it because they can. Sony don't need to be forthcoming about anything other than what they have done. Services are down and they are working on it. In fact they can't be any more forthcoming than that, as standard procedure for any company worth their salt is to not elaborate on those details as
an investigation would be ongoing and likely the FBI and other agencies will be involved.

The services are down yes but Microsoft and Sony's website still work as a landing page. Being able to use it to login and participate in the forums is another matter. The website itself wasn't down for very long. That its not really an obvious /facepalm.

Twitter maybe used by "thousands" of companies but its not the most ideal way of releasing information. Let see people will have to search to find the twitter/facebook profile they are using or they can just visit the website and see a status message. I tell you what I hate having to drudge through twitter correspondence for something they could have taken two seconds to post on their official blogs.

13. Re: Christmas Consolidation Dec 26, 2014, 20:34 TheEmissary

Krovven wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 18:28:
TheEmissary wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 12:01:
Krovven wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 10:54:
TheEmissary wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 10:24:
I wonder how MS and Sony are going to make this right for people. The outages kind of ruined the gift experience for people getting those systems or games. Its going to leave a bitter taste and possibly some screaming kids. Sigh, why do people get off on DDOS?

They don't owe anyone anything. Douchebags that think they are owed something obviously don't comprehend that there is only so much companies can do to defend against DDoS attacks. You want to point a finger? Point it at the low life little shits that deserve a severe beating for pressing a button and then act like they are doing the world of favor.

They need to be more forthcoming with what is going on. The networks are still down to the point where you can't even play the games properly. I am not expecting free DLC or a game out of this but I want to see an actual acknowledgement of the problems and how they plan to address it in the future. As of right it feels like they are burying their head in the sand and hoping the problems go away and frankly that is unacceptable.

I understand they are being DDOS'd but some responsibility has to fall on MS and Sony for not having a robust enough infrastructure to handle the Christmas pressure and DDOS'ing. They already went through this in August and they still learned nothing.

Not sure what you expect from them. They have communicated on Twitter. There are numerous reporting of this on the usual gaming sites. It's not a secret they are trying to keep from you.

So you know what they can do to defend against DDoS attacks? Sony, MS and a ton of other companies around the world would love to know what you apparently know and nobody else has figured out.

They haven't really communicated anything of substance other than the usual boilerplate. They really shouldn't be using third party sites to release information when the first places people will be likely looking for this information are their official status pages. Good luck trying to get anything worthwhile off of that. I didn't see one notice from MS/Sony about outages late on the 24th or a good portion of Christmas morning.

I have hunch that the servers are still offline to cooperate with an investigation on top of maintenance. My point is we simply have no clue at this point because they haven't told us anything.

I understand that DDOS is extremely difficult to defend against but if the network was actually bit more prepared it wouldn't have been down for 2-3+ days. Blizzard and Valve have been hit by DDOS attacks in the past and weren't down for nearly this long.

10. Re: Christmas Consolidation Dec 26, 2014, 12:01 TheEmissary

Krovven wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 10:54:
TheEmissary wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 10:24:
I wonder how MS and Sony are going to make this right for people. The outages kind of ruined the gift experience for people getting those systems or games. Its going to leave a bitter taste and possibly some screaming kids. Sigh, why do people get off on DDOS?

They don't owe anyone anything. Douchebags that think they are owed something obviously don't comprehend that there is only so much companies can do to defend against DDoS attacks. You want to point a finger? Point it at the low life little shits that deserve a severe beating for pressing a button and then act like they are doing the world of favor.

They need to be more forthcoming with what is going on. The networks are still down to the point where you can't even play the games properly. I am not expecting free DLC or a game out of this but I want to see an actual acknowledgement of the problems and how they plan to address it in the future. As of right it feels like they are burying their head in the sand and hoping the problems go away and frankly that is unacceptable.

I understand they are being DDOS'd but some responsibility has to fall on MS and Sony for not having a robust enough infrastructure to handle the Christmas pressure and DDOS'ing. They already went through this in August and they still learned nothing.

7. Re: Christmas Consolidation Dec 26, 2014, 10:24 TheEmissary

News Comments > Sportsfriends on Steam Tomorrow; Move Issues for PC Joust
5. Re: Sportsfriends on Steam Tomorrow; Move Issues for PC Joust Dec 18, 2014, 15:32 TheEmissary

Minuit wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 13:57:
It's shocking that Microsoft Windows has support for Microsoft Kinect but somehow Microsoft engineers at Microsoft aren't working really hard on providing support for the Sony PlayStation Move controller, which could be used to replace Microsoft Kinect.

It's almost like they don't want to officially promote a competing product or something.

Actually this probably has more to do with proper drivers for the Move Controller. It isn't enough to simply have bluetooth support for it but actually knowing how to map the motion to usable inputs. The DS4 controller works under Windows as USB/Bluetooth controller but there are feature support missing like the Touchpad or six-axis motion sensing. It is on Sony to provide a working set of drivers for these controllers not MS.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2014, 14:34 TheEmissary

The KillZone SF lawsuit isn't really going to go anywhere. I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of what resolution actually means in this case. The MP component of KZSF is still outputting a 1080p image it uses an algorithm to stitch previous frames together to pull it off. The Single player side is native 1080p. For the lawsuit to go anywhere they are going to have to then prove there is a steep enough quality different between the two modes of the game.

To be honest they would have more of a case over the framerate than the resolution. In all the media they claim the game runs at a solid 60fps.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2014, 14:40.

News Comments > Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App
14. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 10:56 TheEmissary

peteham wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 10:50:
Verno wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:48:
Axis wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:42:
More useless bloat in their OS... as expected.

On this we are in full agreement.

Microsoft's treatment of PC gaming over the years is one of the biggest missed opportunities I've seen and its all the more glaring because its on their own turf.
The problem as always is that there's no competition in the desktop gaming space. Apple is a non-contender for now because of their restricted hardware platform and also because they don't really seem to care. And I wonder if we'll ever see SteamOS/Linux in a form that's usable to end-users. Even if SteamOS was a viable feature-complete contender today, it would still take years for Microsoft's backwards-compatibility edge to go away.

The backwards-compatibility issue may not as bad as you think. Most popular games have a shelf-life of around 5-10 years. Popular games older than that get re-released on modern platforms anyway or so old they can be straight up emulated. If developers start targeting open standards or technologies common to multiple Operating systems the issue of ports and BC will become less and less of an issue.

355 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo