Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 395 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2016, 11:51 TheEmissary

I really hope the VR software/games aren't going to be locked down exclusives. I might have been OK with proprietary libraries if the price points were affordable. I can't imagine too many people are going to want to spend $600-1000 kind of money like that.

Personally I hope a VR standard emerges out of all the competing headsets. VR really needs something like VESA to make sure these headsets are compatible with any device that can power them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M?
47. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 20:16 TheEmissary

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:42:
TheEmissary wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 18:59:
So they say right now but who knows maybe it will show up six months from now when they are scratching their heads for expansion ideas to finish the season pass.

^ lol

Another poor soul who believes that EA/DICE are actually working on DLC after the game's release.

Protip: They are not. All the DLC is cut from the game and ready to go at release so DICE can 100% focus on the next game. That is why they know *exactly* right now that there will not be any TFA DLC beyond Jakku (which tbh I found surprising as well because I was fully expecting them to milk those udders until they bleed).

DICE is not working on DLC. They are already slaving away on the 2016/2017 (whenever the next SWBF needs to coincide with a movie release) installment and its DLCs that will be cut from the game again so they can sell a $50 premium pass to the mentally challenged fantards.

I don't think it is quite that cut and dry. I do think that some content was intentionally cut out of the game. I think maybe the first expansion or two might be completed but I doubt they have all five planned and finished. Don't you think they would sell more season passes if people actually knew what they were buying.

Lets not gloss over the fact that BF4 is still getting DLC post season pass. Knowing this you can't completely rule out TFA DLC.

Lets be honest here none of us here have privileged access in to the development process. It could be what you said or could be what I said no one here really knows. I have just learned to treat what a corporation says with a grain of salt anyway.

45. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 18:59 TheEmissary

DangerDog wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 18:04:
Task wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:38:
Shok wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 14:44:
It will be funny this time next year when EA announces Battlefront servers will be turned off....but look at the shiny new game we just came out with! That one lets you play online plus look at all the high ratings it got in the (paid off) press.

Just in time for the new game with TFA DLC for ultimate cash-ins *CHA-CHING*. New StarWarz playable characters include: Poo Digimon, FretfulNumbskull-Trooper87, TrashCompactorPhasma (Special Ability, Get Trash Compacted), OldLeia, MartyrSolo, EmoJacenSolo with special TemperTantram-Mode, and more! Next year, prepare for more paid maps and character DLC with the release of yet another SW films as the franchise becomes epically saturated.

They've already announced no TFA dlc for the game.

So they say right now but who knows maybe it will show up six months from now when they are scratching their heads for expansion ideas to finish the season pass. They technically have already done one TFA DLC of sorts and that is the Battle of Jakku.

I really wish the Clone Wars era wasn't considered poisoned fruit. The original Battlefront games had some really amazing maps set in that time period.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
9. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 16:52 TheEmissary

I really want to jump on VR bandwagon but it is simply far to early. It still seems a bit half-baked. I need to see how they make accommodations for people with vision problems or wear corrective lenses. The games need to be original experiences not ports of 2D games. The last thing I want to see for VR is a fragmented market with exclusive software libraries for a $200-300 headset.  

38. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 16:34 TheEmissary

I enjoy Battlefront for what it is but I also lament what the game could have been. Battlefront 2015 could have been a really amazing sandbox taking inspiration from DICE's previous offerings and previous Battlefront games in the series.

I would have like to have seen less focus on infantry play and more on a balanced take on combined arms. For a Star Wars game to be limited to just suborbital combat is a shame.

I think eventually we will get the sequel we were expecting this one to be. Most likely in short term I will be playing this until the matchmaking ceases to be functional like I did with Titanfall. Long term I will probably stay with Battlefield 4 until 5 is released.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2016, 16:41.

News Comments > PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive
28. Re: PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive Jan 4, 2016, 15:37 TheEmissary

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 03:40:
HoSpanky wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 21:54:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 20:02:
Without having read the article, I can say that I already smell the DLC.

It's a F2P game, so yes, there's shit to purchase.

I dunno, I have an Xbone and I tried the demo (only one character is free, never changes, always Jago). Wasn't super impressed.

Not worried about the exclusivity. Moved to Windows 10, have had zero problems beyond the first day, when it saw both of my video cards as one card and refused to work properly until I uninstalled the "card". Works fine, boots crazy fast and, most amazingly, didn't shit itself during the upgrade. All my software still works! That's a first, I think.

Did they seriously make a f2p fighting game where you have to buy shit just to have more than 1 character to select and then target it at an OS that has less userbase than Windows7, Windows8 and Windows XP each?

It's GFWL style nonsense all over again Love it

Its not F2P but it does have some properties in common. The free version is basically a demo not unlike the free DriveClub PSN version. You get a taste of the game nothing more. You also neglect to mention that the characters are rotated on a weekly/monthly basis.

I do think its silly to target just Windows 10 but that is MS marketing machine for you.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2016, 16:26.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2016, 11:56 TheEmissary

I am not at all surprised that the fan film was hit with a cease and desist order. I think it just shows a fundamental lack of understanding of IP/Copyright laws. Just because some companies in the past turned a blind eye to fan works doesn't mean they are granting a free reign or the license.

The Axanar guys were really pushing their luck by trying to indirectly profit from the Star Trek IP. They are using crowdsourced funds to form a production company. They basically torpedoed themselves by making the project appear too professional.

I think they would have been better off creating a new IP that they own the complete rights to and make a movie from that.

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 2016, 12:10.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 07:39 TheEmissary

I remember watching the CGI demonstration video of that SpaceX Landing a year ago and being pretty impressed to learn that vertical landing a rocket is even possible. I am even more so now that they have actually done it. It gives me a lot of hope for commercial uses of space.

For the Starwars infographic, should the values be adjusted for inflation.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 15, 2015, 20:22 TheEmissary

Just because you issue a refund doesn't mean that customers opinions of your service is sudden invalid. The reviews should stay as they show a business pattern that could be quite valuable information to know.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 8, 2015, 14:39 TheEmissary

I don't think a hands off approach is the best way to resolve the cell carriers using the unlicensed band. Its unlicensed for a reason to allow low power devices to use the spectrum with in their own household. If Verizon or others start using that part of the spectrum at higher power levels it could be a nightmare.

It is already a mess as it is with tons of devices leaking in to the 2.4GHZ and now the 5GHZ bands. Some devices are sensitive to any interference be it from baby monitors to microwave ovens. Picture that kind of Wifi disruption on a city-wide scale. That isn't going to be fun at all.

The FCC really needs to mark a portion of the spectrum just for low power devices and enforce it.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Patch Status
20. Re: Just Cause 3 Patch Status Dec 3, 2015, 19:11 TheEmissary

Quinn wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 18:51:
nin wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 18:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 18:27:
This game forevermore will have a low "mixed" steam score due to release day.

It's been Arkham'd!

Unlike Arkham, this game runs absolutely flawless. Despite Arkham Knight's definite issues, I still have the opinion that most of the Arkham Whiners are people who prefer to blame performance issues on anything but their 4 year old systems and this is largely backed by the Just Whiners -- appropriately coined.

I wish they'd do a survey and find out how old the rigs are of said whiners. I bet my cock most of them just cannot face the fact they need to upgrade their rig but don't have the money to do so.

I have a 3,5 year old CPU and a GTX980. The game runs like silky butter.

You can't simply dismiss these as isolated incidents of tiny subset of the player base. The game breaking bugs are happening to extremely highend machines and midrange PCs alike.

The game has a memory leak that much is obvious and will typically crash once it runs out of memory. The game will eat up more RAM memory than what they actually recommend. It isn't on the same level of Arkham Knight requiring 12GB of Ram to run correctly but its not far off.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Free DLC Plans
30. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Free DLC Plans Nov 25, 2015, 16:19 TheEmissary

Bundy wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 16:12:
TheEmissary wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 16:06:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 10:29:
1badmf wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 23:10:
can be please get a real star wars game that isn't eviscerated by greed?!?!

Yeah right. The definition of Greed should have a pic of Star Wars.

I think Disney as a company takes that honor. They have their hooks in practically everything now.

I honestly don't remember the older StarWars or the Prequels being marketed the way this movie is right now. You can't go anywhere without seeing some Star Wars tie in or what have you. I have seen more merchandise for this one movie than I have for the entire lifetime of the franchise.

Star Wars as a franchise is worth significantly more now than it was in the early 80's. But both empire and Jedi were merchandised very heavily. Lucas' motivation for changing Wookies to Ewoks in Jedi was because teddy bear toys were an easier sell to children. I believe there was even a moment in empire where he screened it for Scorsese (they were close friends) and Scorsese felt that the movie would be stronger if Lucas made some changes, but Lucas explained how that wouldn't fit with the mainstream angle he was trying to achieve.

Don't let your nostalgia fool you. The moment the first star wars became a massive success, the money gears started churning.

I am not under any delusions about Star Wars not being profit-focused IP. Disney has taken it to a whole other level in terms of profiting off the IP. Its ridiculous that you see more about the merchandise than about the movie itself.

Think about what Disney has been doing with its Frozen IP. That movie is still churning out tons of merchandise and the movie is two years old at this point.

Getting back on topic of games. I do miss the Star Wars games that at least captured the essence of what the series was about and not necessarily just the space battles. I rather enjoyed the classics that can exist as good games even without the IP.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Free DLC Plans
28. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Free DLC Plans Nov 25, 2015, 16:06 TheEmissary

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 10:29:
1badmf wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 23:10:
can be please get a real star wars game that isn't eviscerated by greed?!?!

Yeah right. The definition of Greed should have a pic of Star Wars.

I think Disney as a company takes that honor. They have their hooks in practically everything now.

I honestly don't remember the older StarWars or the Prequels being marketed the way this movie is right now. You can't go anywhere without seeing some Star Wars tie in or what have you. I have seen more merchandise for this one movie than I have for the entire lifetime of the franchise.

News Comments > Blizzard Updating Older Games for Modern OSes
12. Re: Blizzard Updating Older Games for Modern OSes Nov 4, 2015, 18:27 TheEmissary

All those games run fine for the most part on modern OS's. The cinematics on the other hand need to be redone. I am still able to play all those games on Windows 10.  

News Comments > Battle.net Voice Chat Coming
1. Re: Battle.net Voice Chat Coming Oct 22, 2015, 20:25 TheEmissary

Hopefully this will be usable in the other blizzard games. I am getting really tired of having to use 3rd party voice programs just to be able to coordinate as a group.  

News Comments > GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First?
46. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 17, 2015, 08:04 TheEmissary

This is a pretty lame move considering lot of games lately need day0 drivers to even run right. I don't use a VR/3d glasses, game streaming or shadowplay features so I really don't have a use for experience. It shouldn't be forced on people.  

News Comments > Some Steam Titles Losing SteamOS Label
1. Re: Some Steam Titles Losing SteamOS Label Oct 16, 2015, 20:26 TheEmissary

If they didn't merge steamOS and Linux under one label this wouldn't be an issue.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2015, 19:50 TheEmissary

I would have to say the last year or two has been the worst I have ever seen for annoying and invasive online advertising. Its becoming unbearable with the amount ads and things like the really annoying click under/over, focus stealing, or never ending page load ads.

Out of respect for the content creators I don't try to block advertising because I feel people should be able to get compensation for their work. I have say I feel like I am being punished by many of these sites for not blocking advertisements judging by how many ads they cram in to a page. Its a daily occurrence to see my browsers crash because of malformed flash advertisements.

If they get much worse than what they are already I know there will be a point of where the straw will break the camels back and I will eventually just install an Ad blocker and be done with it. I really don't want it to get that far.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 16, 2015, 13:21 TheEmissary

Fion wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 12:40:
I don't get the hoopla around this 'offline viewing'. I mean how many mobile devices out there aren't connected to the internet? Is there that big a percentage of homes without a home network?

Not everyone wants to waste 1-2 Gigabytes on their phones datacap to watch one streaming HD movie. Its nice for situations like patchy wifi or unreliable 4G or etc.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 16, 2015, 13:17 TheEmissary

The one take away I got out of Netflix Epix expiring deal is that the Media companies are still sour over the cord-cutters and are trying to make their lives as miserable as possible to get the content they want. It seems like they want to fragment their libraries across a number of stream portals so if you want the full experience your going to end up paying a cable like bill.  

395 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo