Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 245 (Novice)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > WoW Connected Realms Update
3. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 14:51 TheEmissary

Redmask wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 13:59:
Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 12:44:
Of course, I jumped ship a long time ago. My guild, which used to be all friends from CS and SWG, was overtaken with "pro" raiders dedicated to being on top. A buddy and I who didn't play that way left for a PVE server because getting ganked every 5 seconds was getting annoying. Now my poor characters languish on Exodar, ignored for lack of innovation in their game.

That's what happened to my guild. We were a loosely held group of friends and family members, we always had a blast even though we were crap at raiding. A few hardcore raiders got in and started recruiting their friends, most of whom turned their noses up at the original members. Then came the rules and scheduling for guild events, things they expected people to ignore real life shit for. Many of us stopped playing WoW because it wasn't fun anymore. Then the raiders got pissed and had no one left to blame for not getting server first kills or whatever bullshit they were jacking off to. They ended up killing the guild which had been running for 5 years previous.

Fucking raiders ruin everything.

I would like to say that is an isolated incident but I can't. I have seen this first hand several times. I have seen guilds that basically split in to an A and B/C teams over what you described. Others that just imploded as well. Its a shame there really isn't a healthy balance that allows you to enjoy the games content at its normal difficulty without being a massive time sink.

The Raid finder is interesting but you substitute structured intelligent play for a zerg swarm with little direction. It feels like if you want to play this game now you have to accept either extreme. It would be nice to play the game on a more sane pace.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2013, 15:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
5. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 18, 2013, 16:39 TheEmissary

Did they say which monitor companies are going to support this? If it works as well as they say I hope this leads to a more open standard.  

News Comments > GTA5 PC Clue in AMD Drivers?
33. Re: GTA5 PC Clue in AMD Drivers? Oct 18, 2013, 16:32 TheEmissary

Creston wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 15:39:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 15:06:
I want to know when we will be able to build our own missions and do bank heists!

This. I'm getting bored with grinding the same mission.

Same. Some activities you can repeat and enjoy no problem like racing which is more about competing with your friends or rivals. The coop missions get a bit boring or have the feeling of being a grind when they are all structured the same. Maybe its because the mission variety isn't in yet or because I haven't unlocked it yet. I am in the high 20's rank wise.

News Comments > Arkham Games Ditch GFWL
49. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 16:02 TheEmissary

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 04:54:
Dev wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 02:51:
Well with the new directx requiring windows 8.1, wouldn't surprise me if MS started sponsoring games if they require that crap. More shoehorning ahead.
Meh. The new DX has less features than the update of OGL from 3.0 to 3.1. And what it "does" do, is already covered via drivers from both AMD and nVidia. And really the "tiled resource" isn't anywhere near as good as AMD's mantle system.

The tiled resource isn't new it was on the XBOX360. All it is just a way to use a small amount of extremely fast memory to make up for the slow system memory. The 360 and Xbox One have ESDRAM for this purprose. They ported this over to PC probably to simplify the porting process for the xbox one games and or streaming resources. Its not really needed when you have GPUs with 1.5 to 6GB of DDR5 memory.

Carmack also compared this to his OpenGL MegaTexture technique that he used in Quake 4 and RAGE as well.

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2013, 16:10.

News Comments > GTA5 PC Clue in AMD Drivers?
23. Re: GTA5 PC Clue in AMD Drivers? Oct 18, 2013, 15:54 TheEmissary

Spektr wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 15:24:
I can't remember a gta that hasnt been released on PC.. they don't have a date in it or something? :p I guess that their presence in the PC drivers mean it could be released sooner than next year.

All the core games of the series were ported to PC but there are 2 or 3 mobile versions for DS and PSP that weren't ported.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 14, 2013, 13:03 TheEmissary

I have feeling that the shutdown will end on the last day by more "kick the can down the road" policy like the last two years. They will likely do it again until the next president is in office.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 14, 2013, 12:47 TheEmissary

I am more worried about reliability and longevity of the drive than I am about the price point. I have seen wildly different estimates for the life a SSD.  

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
21. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 13, 2013, 18:21 TheEmissary

There are legal homebrew ROMs that work with these emulators but that is more an edge case.  

News Comments > DICE: Linux Needs "One Killer App or Game"
27. Re: DICE: Linux Needs Oct 13, 2013, 18:17 TheEmissary

Its not exactly pie in the sky. If you told some one in 2005/2006 that apple would be a dominate OS developer for mobile and tablets people would have thought you were crazy. Tablets and Smartphones existed prior to apple doing one and yet they managed to do it better. Android and Chrome OS are both Linux Distributions that fill a niche for some people. The point is that people are more than willing to switch to platforms that fit their needs better.

If core AAA game series were ported over consistently I would switch. The killer app in this case is would be parity. Getting AAA multiplatform games that aren't massively delayed would be be huge enough on its own.

An exclusive killer app will probably require canonical (Ubuntu) or another major distribution maintainers decide to fund one themselves.

17. Re: DICE: Linux Needs Oct 13, 2013, 15:02 TheEmissary

Its not about hatred of Microsoft or Windows at all. I just want more diversity and less mono-culture so we can get real competition again. I want to be able to have a viable choice to be able to switch platforms and not having to be tied down with proprietary APIs. Outside of gaming and one or two professional applications I can get by with the multiplatform projects opensource or otherwise.

11. Re: DICE: Linux Needs Oct 13, 2013, 13:35 TheEmissary

Most people use Windows because they are more or less stuck on that platform and unable to move easily to something else. If software or games people are able to enjoy was available on Linux or any other OS for that matter most people would switch to something other than Windows. I know I would. There is very little outside of a few core applications and games that keep me using Windows.

Dice is right Linux keeps One killer App or even parity. If Linux gets the same software the mindshare among laypeople will grow. All Linux really needs is professional quality software that runs better and easier under to Linux.

Killer Apps have compelled people to upgrade or switch platforms in the past. In some countries people have bought entire systems for just one game. Granted that doesn't happen all that often but some games or software do have that motivation for change.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2013, 13:42.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2013, 12:24 TheEmissary

The community will always be the Achilles heel for PC gaming. The Community is both its greatest advocate and its greatest detractor. You have people that will praise games and great ports but you also have people that will go out of their way bash. It is probably the most difficult platform for any developer to truly please.

In my first paragraph didn't say it killed PC gaming but if you recall back to 2006 to about 2010 it almost certainly was the excuse used by most developers to avoid making PC ports. It wasn't a completely wrong opinion in some cases. I do believe the piracy is over stated.

Between 2006-2010 a lot of things were happening like Steam taking the lion share of the digital distribution and changes to how games are monetized like dlc and free2play games, which didn't come from a vacuum. Lot of technical issues as well have been solved so many of those barriers no longer exist but some do.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2013, 01:10 TheEmissary

The only thing that can ruin PC gaming is the PC community it self. PC gaming almost lost support entirely by developers because of piracy and other issues. Most of those problems have been dealt with by changing how games are monetized and distribution. New hardware and alternative OS isn't going to kill the PC market.

We might get a bit more fragmentation but I doubt they are going to let it get as bad as the API wars of the 90's. DirectX and OpenGL are still going to exist and will likely to be the development targets for years to come regardless of what comes out.

SteamOS is just a highly customized Linux distribution so in a way it already exists. Valve's work on a SteamOS has prompted both AMD and Nvidia to rethink some of their Linux driver policies and improve the driver optimization. I see both of those as a positive.

News Comments > NVIDIA: "No Longer Possible" for Consoles to Better PC Graphics
47. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 16:48 TheEmissary

This is more of obvious statement of facts. There is no competing with the fact that new hardware or refreshes are released every 8-18 months. While the PC has the hardware superiority it doesn't always have the mind-share and developer desire to see the ports are optimized well.

I have seen far too many ports that lack any type of optimization and only run half decent because the PC can brute force through it. Other times they don't bother to fix the animations so they work with framerates higher than 30fps. You can tell a lot of developers take the lazy way out and call it a day when they hit the target frame rate regardless of the unnecessary requirements because of lack of optimization.

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
88. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:50 TheEmissary

ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 18:42:
Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 18:34:
Overon wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 18:13:
If it wasn't for games, I would probably be using GNU/Linux instead of Microsoft Windows. If more game ran natively on GNU/Linux I would not be using Microsoft Windows.

That describes almost every PC gamer. That's why I've never understood why MS has dropped the ball so badly on it and wasted so much time and money on console wars when they had the PC locked up and could have expanded the hell out of it. Yeah, if all games ran native under Linux we would have dumped Windows years ago.

No way. Linux can't be used by the general population. Even I have a hard time with it and refuse to waste my life learning it.

There are plenty of user friendly desktop environments and distributions that are just as easy to use as windows. The problem is people have a hard time knowing or finding the distribution right for them because of the sheer number of them. There are probably 500 different forks out in the wild.

The real problem with linux is quality control for lot of the drivers and some of the opensource projects. Other than that its no different than any other OS.

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
37. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:53 TheEmissary

ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:00:
I have no idea why someone would use this. Why would I install and figure out this new OS that does a lot LESS, when I can already just use Steam on Windows? Plus, I own no Linux games.

This OS isn't meant for power users on normal gaming PCs. Their strategy is exactly the same as Google's strategy with releasing a free OS and allowing third party vendors to package it how they see fit. This is likely Valve's attempt to do the same for the console/embedded hardware.

This if it works will create a open console ecosystem that Ouya only dreamed about. The ability to build your own device for HTPC/embedded gaming (console).

News Comments > Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year?
14. Re: Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year? Jul 21, 2013, 14:15 TheEmissary

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 13:59:
TheEmissary wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 13:47:
A car and other physical products have wear and tear from use a digital product doesn't have this problem. The only thing that really affects a digital product is market pressure. A used/resold digital product is going to be identical to the new version. Which is why this isn't as cut and dry. Reselling digital games has the potential to eat the developers/publishers lunch.
But the reality is that older games have a considerably lower value because they date quickly. You don't see Valve selling the original Half-Life or even Left 4 Dead 2 for 30 because it couldn't get away with it. And publishers will be able to use DLC and other techniques to prevent reselling from eating into their profit margins, plus they'll receive a percentage of every sale.

We have yet to see the fallout of this yet, for all we know the law could apply to DLC as well. This could get extremely messy fast when you think about all the games that have accounts/keys for DRM purposes. It is unclear if they will be even allowed to add a transaction fee for the sale of used games.

News Comments > Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year?
10. Re: Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year? Jul 21, 2013, 13:47 TheEmissary

Cutter wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 13:26:
I've always felt the first-sale doctrine should apply to everything anwyay. This whole work once get paid forever thing is bullshit. It's ridiculous how it applies to some things and not others. It's entirely arbitrary. I can re-sell my car but not my game?

A car and other physical products have wear and tear from use a digital product doesn't have this problem. The only thing that really affects a digital product is market pressure. A used/resold digital product is going to be identical to the new version. Which is why this isn't as cut and dry. Reselling digital games has the potential to eat the developers/publishers lunch.

I can see a problem with trying to retroactively making games not built for the law compliant. What I do see happening is they set a point possibly when the law was enacted and any game after that has to offer support for it. I am curious why they aren't going after Microsoft, Sony, EA as well considering they have huge digital libraries.

News Comments > Epic Working on AAA Shooter
33. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 18:20 TheEmissary

The UT games may not have had campaigns but epic did make Unreal 1/2 games with SP however.

I really wish UT3 didn't bomb as hard as it. I was really looking forward to playing that game before it came out and it failed to deliver. UT2k4 was a much better game.

News Comments > End of Nations MOBA Beta Signups
5. Re: End of Nations MOBA Beta Signups Jul 12, 2013, 17:10 TheEmissary

So they are going from being similar to World in Conflict and Company of Heroes to a MOBA. Strange change to be honest. Maybe they are misusing the genre name. I just hope it breaks convention and gets way from lanes and only using one map.  

245 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo