Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 312 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Aug 23, 2014, 15:35 TheEmissary

Ideally what Forbes said may be true on average for the industry but there is no denying there are major sites that provoke the reader base in one way or another. Sites like Kotaku and Polygon are often guilty of this and other sites are guilty of it because that is how the game is marketed. There aren't too many sites out there that follow any type of ethical standards or actual journalism for video games. I have seen lot of sites pulling click-bait or intentionally controversial topics to drive traffic to ad-heavy pages.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2014, 16:05.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Seldon Crisis Announced
9. Re: Seldon Crisis Announced Aug 23, 2014, 08:09 TheEmissary

Scud wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 00:19:
To me, naming a warship the 'Hari Seldon' makes about as much sense as the U.S. Navy naming a warship after Sigmund Freud, and it only has one big cannon.(and it's just a cannon, nothing else, honest!)

I think the ship should have been called "The Dead Hand" which was the other name given to Seldon by General of the old Empire. In the novels people wanted to give the illusion they knew what was going to happen and they were on the right side of history and they often did that by trying associate themselves in anyway with Seldon and the plan.

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
18. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 11:47 TheEmissary

Fantaz wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 11:02:
i never thought Ubisoft would do a better job with the Far Cry franchise than Crytek would... looks like i was proven wrong. the upcoming Far Cry 4 looks leagues better than anything Crytek has come up with so far.

There is very little of the original FarCry left in the series beyond the name. Each game did its own thing and that was that. Then again you don't really come to a FarCry series for the plot at this point. The Sandbox world in FC3 was pretty impressive I'll give you that.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 20:15 TheEmissary

Using images/gameplay of the games and the box art on the kickstarter page is probably asking for trouble even if the project is legal.  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 20:05 TheEmissary

The legality of it is questionable. It is true that emulators in of themselves maybe legal to a degree but that depends on the implementation. If the hardware being emulated is still patent encumbered then it wouldn't necessarily be legal. Not mention it wouldn't be legal (DMCA) if the emulator bypassed the DRM scheme on the content ran through it.

I think systems built in the 80's and 90's are probably legal to build emulators for but anything newer is very questionable.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2014, 21:58.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 17, 2014, 14:51 TheEmissary

Its not a hardware or a cost issue its a software/content issue. You have convince to film studios to make the switch in how they encode the films. You also have to get the industry to settle on one standard which hasn't happened yet. Highend Home audio systems and 3DTVs aren't priced out of reach of normal consumers any more.  

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
50. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 13, 2014, 09:15 TheEmissary

NKD wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 00:16:
In before Deus Ex and Hitman move to Xbone Exclusivity.

I really hope Deus Ex isn't caught up in this mess. I wonder if the TR call was crystal dynamics or Square Enix decision.

It annoys me greatly all the politics that goes in to distributing and publishing games. As a gamer I just want to play the games I like but they are certainly making it difficult. I can begrudgingly accept series that start exclusive and stay exclusive to one system but I will never accept the case when a multiplat goes exclusive.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 4, 2014, 11:50 TheEmissary

Redmask wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 10:41:
EA has totally mismanaged the Ultima franchise and the worst part is that they never part with IP so you know it's stuck there 'forever'. With so many great RPGs on the horizon its begging for a re-release.

That isn't a completely true as The Wasteland IP proves. I would imagine some one with a unique connection to the series could gain control back. It might be a decade or more before that happens if ever.

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed?
12. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 13:14 TheEmissary

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 13:01:
I'm hoping for the best but this game is giving me serious Spore vibes.

It does feel like a more fleshed out space phase. Based on the rumors and what the developers have said it appears to even have the same objective of trying to reach the center of the galaxy. Both games have procedurally generated planets and lifeforms that were either fetched from a database or created randomly. In spore the space phase was just the last phase of the game not the entire focus.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Aug 1, 2014, 13:07 TheEmissary

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 11:15:
When Linux becomes as easy as Windows and games run the same way under it then people will adopt. Otherwise it'll always be a pipe dream.

There are plenty of distributions and Windowing Shells that are as easy as windows. The problem is that Linux has too many competing standards and formats that make it difficult for new users to make sense of it. The amount of redundant effort for certain things can hurt as much as it can help.

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed?
10. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 12:57 TheEmissary

Tumbler wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 11:53:
I'll bet there is tremendous pressure behind the scenes to sideline pc versions of popular upcoming games because it's a no brainer to make these games available on the pc.

It seems all the fidelity people were excited about in game demos are turning out only to be on pc so if games like destiny and Watchdogs come out looking amazing only on the pc it's going to push more people to pick up pcs. Gamers dropped $400 plus on these likely to lay certain games in particular so it's not crazy to think they might spend $500 on a pc to get the best experience. And the prices on steam sales have got to scare them shitless.

Its just par the course when it comes to console and PC gaming. Everything that is going on is cyclical. Consider what has happened the last few generations they will largely ignore PC gaming as a concept but take the innovations that took hold.

The cycle usually starts with the PC running high in a dominant position after the previous console started getting long in the tooth. New consoles are released the PC versions are limited to the quality of the new consoles or outright delayed for months. At some point a manufactured crisis (ie. drm, piracy) will appear to keep interest away from the PC while the PC hardware advances. Once the performance gap between the console and PC performance becomes too large to ignore you start seeing developers praising PC again.

News Comments > Defiance Game Not Dependent on TV Series
4. Re: Defiance Game Not Dependent on TV Series Jul 31, 2014, 13:24 TheEmissary

The TV series is actually better than the game by far. Last time I played the MMO it felt like one of those licensed games that used to be churned out by the dozens. Its not a bad game just not one you will go out of your way to play.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2014, 13:31.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 14:52 TheEmissary

jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 14:45:
1960s: Those people that write about racial inequality should just shut up already. Constantly writing about it won't do anything.

It should be talked about but not at the expense of ignoring other similar issues. There is lot of discrimination and harassment in general that needs to be sorted out. It isn't like women are the only groups getting harassed. Its just one of the more visual groups.

The tech industry discriminates against people based on age quite a lot and other industries have there other biases.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 14:14 TheEmissary

Most people are harassed on a daily basis for a multitude of stupid reasons be it gender, race, age, orientation, political views, region, and so on. Harassment period needs to end and to do that we shouldn't be accepting of it any form. We shouldn't ignore the other forms it occurs.

It is a worth while topic but I don't think Polygon is helping matters. Constantly getting on the pulpit the way are is just going to cause people to get adversarial or just tune out.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 21, 2014, 11:31 TheEmissary

I can't help but facepalm after reading about PC gamer's booing the Xbox games at the QuakeCon. For something that should be inclusive to all things ID and Quake they have to go and pull the "master race" or "elitist" BS. I may not agree with MS policies on a great many things but the least you can do is give the speaker your respect and or just quietly ignore them.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2014, 11:20 TheEmissary

I would imagine for a lot of people the Wii was their first entry in to console gaming or gaming in general. The motion control gimmick managed to drive early adoption like crazy in demographics that normally never gamed before. So it is smart that they are trying to show these people that there are either games for them or more mature focused games that might interest them.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2014, 11:12 TheEmissary

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 10:26:
Cutter pretty much nailed it. If you don't like it...don't buy it. If publishers are incentivized to sell crap DLC, the trend will only grow. That being said, I tend to buy games after release (read: on sale) and then buy the DLC I want....or get the GotY edition. Some of it's great stuff like CivV, Borderlands2, or Xcom. Others....it feels like there is more DLC than the original game (and all of it is piss poor).

If you play or enjoy any type of online multiplayer it isn't quite as easy to simply choose not to buy it. More often than not if you want to continue playing an online game you are goaded in to buying the DLC or suffer reduced matchmaking pools or reduced number of populated servers running without the dlc. Buying the complete package well after launch has the same problem except its more likely that people have moved on to another game. So if you care at all to play a certain you are more or less forced to stay current with it.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 11, 2014, 09:17 TheEmissary

It is strange they have to keep saying they aren't going to sell "Xbox" brand. There must be some serious attempts to spin it off by either the board or the stock holders.

News Comments > BF4 Test Environment Results
5. Re: BF4 Test Environment Results Jun 29, 2014, 19:15 TheEmissary

Brumbek wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 17:31:
Absolutely pathetic that DICE can't get netcode right. Quake 3 got it right 10+ years ago, which meant Modern Warfare 1-3 got it right as a result. Now, any serious CoD player will know that ironically CoD:Ghosts also ruined their netcode, introducing the "you duck behind cover then die" and the "turn a corner and die instantly" phenomenon that BF4 suffers from.

Sigh...as if Battlefield and CoD weren't bad enough with derivative content...now both series can't even do netcode right (BF never could).

On the plus side, CoD:AW this year is by a very competent developer and can possibly redeem CoD netcode-wise and maybe innovation-wise. Still, boring!

I'm tired of unranked, totally anti-competitive FPSs. I'll take Destiny Co-op over BF and CoD nonsense.

The reason older games had better netcode is because they were far simpler simulations. Quake had fewer players, smaller maps, and raycast weapons. Modern games have orders of magnitude more entities and object states that they have to worry about synchronizing. The more complex something becomes the higher likelihood of errors cropping up.

News Comments > EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans
10. Re: EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans Jun 23, 2014, 14:19 TheEmissary

Jivaro wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 13:39:
I don't really play any multiplayer FPS often enough to have any experience with it. I personally haven't had any troubles with it but that isn't saying much when you have been exposed to it as infrequently as I have.

I have just always wondered how it made money for the original developers and why there wasn't more competitive options for publishers to use instead of Punkbuster. Online games are such a huge money maker right now, you would think the market would be full of Punkbuster clones by now. Maybe I just don't know of them because it isn't really part of my interest in our hobby.

As far as third party anti-cheat middleware goes it is pretty much just Punkbuster, VAC, FairFight, Warden (Blizzard), and HackShield. I think the reason you don't see more companies creating middleware solutions is that because its a cat-and-mouse game and often not tailored completely to protect a game.

312 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo