Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 293 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans
10. Re: EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans Jun 23, 2014, 14:19 TheEmissary

Jivaro wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 13:39:
I don't really play any multiplayer FPS often enough to have any experience with it. I personally haven't had any troubles with it but that isn't saying much when you have been exposed to it as infrequently as I have.

I have just always wondered how it made money for the original developers and why there wasn't more competitive options for publishers to use instead of Punkbuster. Online games are such a huge money maker right now, you would think the market would be full of Punkbuster clones by now. Maybe I just don't know of them because it isn't really part of my interest in our hobby.

As far as third party anti-cheat middleware goes it is pretty much just Punkbuster, VAC, FairFight, Warden (Blizzard), and HackShield. I think the reason you don't see more companies creating middleware solutions is that because its a cat-and-mouse game and often not tailored completely to protect a game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 17, 2014, 01:34 TheEmissary

Is there really a market for the Ouya anymore? Other Micro-consoles like the Kindle Fire TV and Playstation TV are priced similarly and already have better games. Then you have the fact that the big three consoles have made inroads to supporting indie development.

I have a strange feeling they are applying their own interpretation of what they consider a developer. A thousand developers a month seems a bit high for the console.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 16, 2014, 16:12 TheEmissary

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 15:46:
TheEmissary wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 14:54:
Most Youtube alternative sites have failed hard and fast because of the lack of content. The only way comcast is going to get content is to either scrap the data from other video sites like what some search engines do with google results and the other option is to pay content producers more than YT. Scraping the data is borderline illegal to illegal in most places so that isn't really an option. I can't really see Comcast offering paid monetization for videos on the platform.

Or the third option, put YouTube in an ultra-slow lane with a too high a fee charge to have YouTube move a decent speed again. When people can't use YouTube, they won't.

This isn't some random website like before, this is the gatekeeper.

I can't see this ending well as I don't see that other Peering networks and ISPs being anymore open to the idea. Verizon and ATT also throttle things like Youtube to Netflix similar to what you described.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 16, 2014, 14:54 TheEmissary

Most Youtube alternative sites have failed hard and fast because of the lack of content. The only way comcast is going to get content is to either scrap the data from other video sites like what some search engines do with google results and the other option is to pay content producers more than YT. Scraping the data is borderline illegal to illegal in most places so that isn't really an option. I can't really see Comcast offering paid monetization for videos on the platform.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
13. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 16, 2014, 14:49 TheEmissary

Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 02:39:
jimnms wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 00:41:
From what I remember of the video reviews of SD and the fighting aspect of it looked like QTE city. Wait for opponent to flash, press button to counter.

You CAN play it that way, but you don't have to. Once you've got a few moves under Wei Shen's (best character ever for a game like this, btw) belt, you can fairly easily kung-fu your way through a group of enemies in style. The counter is just there to not get hit while you're doing so.

So what does SD have to offer if the driving is crap, and the fighting looked meh to me.

I think it has a great story, and some excellent missions. It also, imo, has great fighting. Videos don't really do it justice, it's very fluid, very satisfying. Wei Shen turns into a total badass with just a few extra moves, you really feel like Bruce Lee mowing down hordes of unskilled fools.

But yeah, the driving is horrible. You won't be driving around for fun in SD.

The Melee system in SD was really good and pretty far away from being a QTE. My only concern with SD melee was the fact that lot of the advanced combos the keys wouldn't register properly on either the PC or 360.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 16, 2014, 14:44 TheEmissary

The GTX800 could be cheaper for any number of reasons such as less costly/better fabrication method, and possible a result of competition from AMD and consoles. It could be combination of everything I posted above. Consider right around the launch of launch of the 360 and PS3 you had 8800GTX cards that went for $600-700 too and the generation after that was more sanely priced.

The prices might be something along the lines of GTX880 ($490), GTX870 ($390), GTX890/Titan ($600-$750).

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 14, 2014, 17:33 TheEmissary

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 16:59:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 13:11:
The HD version of Sleeping Dogs is also listed for the preferred platform of the PC Master Race.

WTF was released?

The PC version already has the HD textures.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/202181/

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
15. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 14, 2014, 16:39 TheEmissary

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 16:34:
Blah blah its very different.

Blah blah its very hard.

Blah blah were looking at it closely.

You either are or you aren't. Obviously someone inside Bungie thinks it is devilishly clever just not to say it one way or the other.

Keep it if you must, we'll survive.

Probably just to keep a foot in the door if they need it. My guess is it will drop on PC a year from now around the time of the first major expansion. Wouldn't be first time or the last time a developer has been toying with the userbase. Rockstar said similar things for a full year before announcing officially the PC and next generation ports of GTA5. Its kind of the disgusting reality of the games industry.

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
12. Re: It will come Jun 14, 2014, 16:06 TheEmissary

Axis wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 15:21:
Can't blame companies to go where they perceive the money to be, but I don't put them on my favorite list when they sell out to consoles with exclusives. Wanna play both sides (like Rockstar), fine we'll accept your strategy of release dates. Wanna 'exclusive' (like Bungie), no thank you we don't want you -- it's very likely you'll have consolitis should you return anyway.

Besides, when it was first announced eons ago (aka "pc dying fad") they had absolutely no intention to develop it for PC. I'll be glad to keep them to their word and never buy it on PC.

I also couldn't care less about a the half-ass FPS Halo or it's derivatives (console fannies will go nuts here, but it's a fact -- just a vanilla FPS that works as well as it can on sub-par FPS controllers).

All they accomplished was to be one of first to do "FPS's" well on a console, nothing special beyond that and its very effective hype-machine.

When I think of bungie, I think of MTFL (and even Oni, I friggin loved that game). The first halo on was 'ok', but most of us were too busy clanning in dedicated FPS's or losing sleep during the heydays of MMOs...

Bungie for the most part was a Mac developer before Microsoft bought the studio at the time and did innovate the fps genre a bit. They were one of the first to have a FPS game using mouse-look with the Marathon series so they aren't exactly amateurs to the fps genre.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2014, 16:13.

News Comments > More Games to Support AMD's Mantle
31. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 12, 2014, 17:47 TheEmissary

bhcompy wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 15:51:
UHD wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:06:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:48:
TheEmissary wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:50:

Mantle is not supported on the consoles at all. The consoles have their own low level api that is proprietary to the console manufacturers.

Tom's Hardware article about Mantle

Did you read my linked article, which is newer, with quotes directly from AMD? AMD supports Mantle on console platforms.

It says they're ready to support Mantle on console platforms. Not the same thing.

It says "MS and Sony are welcome to utilize it whenever they want. We're standing by our phones." Which is to say AMD supports it.

AMD is of course going to claim to support it considering they designed and manufactured the hardware in these systems but it still wishful thinking. Microsoft and Sony have dismissed the idea of using Mantle on consoles and AMD themselves have admitted that Mantle is mostly for use on desktop PCs. So there is no point in expecting consoles to ever use it.

As far as ports go Xbox One ports are going to require much less work to get it working on PC considering they use a variant of DX11 and will have DX12 in a console update.

29. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 12, 2014, 14:35 TheEmissary

Despoiler wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 12:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:00:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 18:29:
Trevellian wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 11:19:
Is this where Nvidia gets to cry foul about their competitor getting to have an edge in certain games now like AMD did?
They can try, the difference is the SDK is open to anyone who wants to implement it, that includes nvidia.

This is FUD in every way possible.... Seriously, where the hell do people get that this is an open API? When you can not download the SDK publicly and you can not read the API specs then it's not a open API.

AMD said they will make it open early 2014, but until now 12 June 2014, fuck all has happened. Access is stricly limited to AMD selected developers. The api itself is locked behind a NDA and is not part of any open standards body. (Like Khronos Group)

So no, nobody can support mantle except choice developers selected by AMD ONLY (Currently)

And dx12, which will do what Mantle does but platform agnostic, will come in late 2015...

I truly wish AMD would open the API and put it into OpenGL.. so it's not that I am hating on them here, I just think it should be clear that this isn't an open API.

OpenGL has the same core problem that DX currently has. That is the core was developed prior to multi-core CPUs and thus the scaling is terrible. You can't add more extensions to solve that problem. It needs to be rewritten from the ground up for modern computers like Mantle and DX12.

Actually, DX11 does support multithreaded rendering contexts the problem is that some GPU vendors like AMD and Intel don't support it in their drivers. For that reason you only see one or two games supporting that feature one of the major ones being Civilization V.

DirectX12 and new versions of OpenGL will be changing the core API beyond mere extensions. Google for "OpenGL approaching zero overhead" presentations on the subject.

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible
7. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 11:10 TheEmissary

Sounds like portions of the engine are tied to framerate assumptions. Remember on the new Need for Speed game when you uncap the framerate I think that is what they are afraid would happen. I don't know why this is still an issue as the graphical frame rate doesn't have to be tied to the physics simulation speed.

Its not the greatest news to be hearing about the port but Its not the worst thing ever. At least we are getting the game at all.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 4
2. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 4 Jun 12, 2014, 03:42 TheEmissary

Prez wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:56:
Will Linux Ever Be Regarded as an Equal to Windows and Consoles at E3?

No.

It might be possible if there was a major corporation spending the time and money to do an advertising blitz. At best it will get treated like how PC gaming in general is treated, which is to pretend it doesn't exist.

E3 is largely console only convention for the most part.Most of the upcoming PC exclusives have little to no presence at E3 and pretty much has been that way for a decade. Linux however will most likely be treated fairly at smaller and more inclusive venues like PAX.

23. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 11, 2014, 20:50 TheEmissary

bhcompy wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 19:58:
Quboid wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 17:18:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:57:
So for someone who doesn't usually follow AMD stuff ever and without googling, what the hell is this mantle anyways? Someone give me a quick breakdown.

There's hopefully more qualified people than me to say (hat's off to jdreyer, BTW) but basically it's an alternative to Direct 3D which improves performance. Specifically, it reduces the amount of CPU power that's needed by the graphics card, so developers can dedicate more to AI/physics/even more complex graphics/whatever. The next version of Direct 3D, in DirectX 12, will apparently have similar performance boosts, supposedly of up to about 30% (but as with drivers, real world improvements are somewhat less).

Again, I'm no expert but AFAIK, Mantle isn't tied to AMD hardware in the same way as PhysX or TXAA are to Nvidia gear. If Nvidia wanted to, they could add support to Geforce cards but unless the market forces their hand, I expect they'd be loath to embrace an AMD technology - unless they fancy pulling a Microsoft by embracing, extending and exterminating it.

It's worth noting that AMD provides the video hardware for both Xbox and Playstation, now, and that Mantle is supported across all 3 hardware platforms. This is the real benefit, as it allows for easier cross-platform support. It may not do much for AMD in the PC space as far as competing with nVidia, but it does make it easier for developers to work on all three major platforms, which is beneficial for everyone(particularly us PC gamers that get stuck with awful ports, or no ports).

Mantle is not supported on the consoles at all. The consoles have their own low level api that is proprietary to the console manufacturers.

Tom's Hardware article about Mantle

20. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 11, 2014, 19:39 TheEmissary

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 18:29:
Is this where Nvidia gets to cry foul about their competitor getting to have an edge in certain games now like AMD did?
They can try, the difference is the SDK is open to anyone who wants to implement it, that includes nvidia. So if nvidia doesn't want to include the optimizations, then it's no ones fault other than theirs. Unlike physx which is closed source, and will fully fuck-on anyone who dares use a nvidia and ati card at once, including reversing gravity, and slowing the machine down to a crawl. Want a good example of it? Try the metro games.

Mantle is highly optimized for a specific architecture there is no denying that. If it was just a software optimization alone they would have backported it to some of their earlier graphics cards but they haven't. This should speak volumes.

Nvidia and other gpu vendors aren't going want to constantly playing catch up to standard that AMD can change at a whim. So regardless of a SDK being available or not its going to be defacto closed standard. Manufacturers will likely still have to reach a patent or licensing agreement to even use it as well. New versions of OpenGL, DirectX, or some future standard run in a vendor neutral way is how a similar api will reach mass implementation.

6. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 11, 2014, 12:54 TheEmissary

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 12:44:
Is this where Nvidia gets to cry foul about their competitor getting to have an edge in certain games now like AMD did? Listening to those guys talk about AMD and Mantle for 5 minutes at the Hardline showing really kinda irked me after they just got done whining about Nvidia's extra Anti Aliasing features in Watch_Dogs. Hypocrites.

Don't get me wrong, I want competition between the two. Just don't whine about your competitor having an advantage in 1 game when you clearly have an advantage in others.

But didn't mantle become a bust? They were claiming improvements of 30%, but all I ever saw in real-world testing was 5-10%.

On game demos that were built from the ground up to use it the performance gains were more dramatic. I wouldn't call it a bust just yet.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 10, 2014, 20:15 TheEmissary

So they are going to default 50,000 to 150,000 home routers in to becoming public hotspots. The question that immediately comes to mind is what are they going to do to the issue of bandwidth caps and whether the public traffic is counted towards the paying consumer? It would be pretty shady to force share a paying user's connection and make them suffer through congestion and usage. The other elephant in the room is how are they going to secure the consumers LAN against public traffic.  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 5, 2014, 11:55 TheEmissary

I really wish the FCC would grow a backbone and stop letting the telecoms more or less blackmail local and state governments.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 2, 2014, 13:52 TheEmissary

The problem with RTS on a console has nothing to do with console hardware but the control scheme. To play any RTS at a high level you need to be able to control units the moment you need them and be able to group units to hotkeys or etc. Consoles have a reduced number of buttons so your forced in to dealing with more AI automation or menu wheels or nested menus, not ideal.

You might be able to create a RTS but it would have be designed in a way that reduces the need for micromanagement and less emphasis on actions per minute (APM). There is no hope for a game like Starcraft2 being played competitively on a PS/XB gamepads but it might be possible on the WiiU.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2014, 13:58.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 2, 2014, 13:29 TheEmissary

Its going to be a very long time before you see people switching to 4K TVs. I really doubt the market is going to tolerate movies that can only be played on a single display brand. More than likely they are attempting this with either proprietary codecs that require partial decoding in the TV or HDCP. Early adopters will get screwed over by this but the average consumer just will be just fine.

4K TVs are obscenely priced at the moment so I don't think there is any real danger of vendor-proprietary films just yet.

293 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo