Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 318 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Sportsfriends on Steam Tomorrow; Move Issues for PC Joust
5. Re: Sportsfriends on Steam Tomorrow; Move Issues for PC Joust Dec 18, 2014, 15:32 TheEmissary

Minuit wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 13:57:
It's shocking that Microsoft Windows has support for Microsoft Kinect but somehow Microsoft engineers at Microsoft aren't working really hard on providing support for the Sony PlayStation Move controller, which could be used to replace Microsoft Kinect.

It's almost like they don't want to officially promote a competing product or something.

Actually this probably has more to do with proper drivers for the Move Controller. It isn't enough to simply have bluetooth support for it but actually knowing how to map the motion to usable inputs. The DS4 controller works under Windows as USB/Bluetooth controller but there are feature support missing like the Touchpad or six-axis motion sensing. It is on Sony to provide a working set of drivers for these controllers not MS.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2014, 14:34 TheEmissary

The KillZone SF lawsuit isn't really going to go anywhere. I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of what resolution actually means in this case. The MP component of KZSF is still outputting a 1080p image it uses an algorithm to stitch previous frames together to pull it off. The Single player side is native 1080p. For the lawsuit to go anywhere they are going to have to then prove there is a steep enough quality different between the two modes of the game.

To be honest they would have more of a case over the framerate than the resolution. In all the media they claim the game runs at a solid 60fps.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2014, 14:40.

News Comments > Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App
14. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 10:56 TheEmissary

peteham wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 10:50:
Verno wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:48:
Axis wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:42:
More useless bloat in their OS... as expected.

On this we are in full agreement.

Microsoft's treatment of PC gaming over the years is one of the biggest missed opportunities I've seen and its all the more glaring because its on their own turf.
The problem as always is that there's no competition in the desktop gaming space. Apple is a non-contender for now because of their restricted hardware platform and also because they don't really seem to care. And I wonder if we'll ever see SteamOS/Linux in a form that's usable to end-users. Even if SteamOS was a viable feature-complete contender today, it would still take years for Microsoft's backwards-compatibility edge to go away.

The backwards-compatibility issue may not as bad as you think. Most popular games have a shelf-life of around 5-10 years. Popular games older than that get re-released on modern platforms anyway or so old they can be straight up emulated. If developers start targeting open standards or technologies common to multiple Operating systems the issue of ports and BC will become less and less of an issue.

12. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 10:49 TheEmissary

Verno wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:48:
Axis wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:42:
More useless bloat in their OS... as expected.

On this we are in full agreement.

Microsoft's treatment of PC gaming over the years is one of the biggest missed opportunities I've seen and its all the more glaring because its on their own turf.

I think it has to do with their belief that the inertia from the PC monopoly will be enough. They only do enough to keep the technology and core functionality to update.

10. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 10:41 TheEmissary

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 10:33:
Ozmodan wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 10:18:
Next thing we will hear is we need an xbox live account to play games on the PC.
Stop giving Microsoft execs ideas please

Considering that an Xbox Live account is the same as a Microsoft account it isn't that far of a stretch. You need to have a MS account if you want to use any of the online MS services as it is. The app however seems more like the windows phone version more than anything.

News Comments > Op Ed
78. Re: Op Ed Dec 13, 2014, 07:15 TheEmissary

Creston wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 11:31:
Just when the entire rhetoric had died, here come the fucknozzles at Polygon, whining their asses off again.

Everyone please stop going to their shitty website. Blue, please stop linking to their shitty website.

I think Polygon likes to stay "trendy" because there original review of the game wasn't nearly as comdemnning of the game. The fact the game is making news again means they have to add their opinion as well. Basically Click baiting.

Sorry for adding another polygon review but here is the original review http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/16/4720458/gta-5-review-grand-theft-auto

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2014, 17:11 TheEmissary

It is crazy how fragmented the Marvel IP is in terms of the Movie rights. Sony has the Spiderman IP, Fox has X-Men and Fantastic four, and Disney outsources the rest for the cinematic universe. There are so many interesting plot lines that can't be covered because it would involve crossover characters. It is silly that the Cinematic universe can't even properly refer to mutants directly instead calling them gifted.

I guess either way Marvel still profits off the success of the characters but it would be nice if the Marvel movie universe was bit more unified.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
9. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 17, 2014, 17:03 TheEmissary

Numinar wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 13:13:
If HL3 never comes out, it's because nobody there wants to make it!

Nothing worse than a game made by developers who wish they were doing something else. Linear FPS probably sounds like a dead end to the people there, no seemless world events, cool face tech or a physics based puzzles to save them this time. Maybe they should shop it off to another Dev. The Metro or new Wolfenstein guys maybe.

Also, why do people want to play this? I loved those games, especially the first, never want to play the episodes again, and cannot remember if there was a story or interesting characters we need resolution on or beg further exploring. Valve will pull a dimension/time traveling/Bioshock 3 style boondoggle to set up whatever scenario they want to deal with in any case like they did last time.

I also don't agree that the move away from carrying 18 weapons at once is a bad thing.

People want HL3 because the series ended on a cliffhanger. If the game had a resolved ending it wouldn't be a big deal. The series needs a game to close most of the loose ends. Once that is done Valve can move on to more interesting projects.

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
82. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 19:20 TheEmissary

You would think that Bethesda would realize this will likely anger lot of PC players. Just when most Developers start learning that the PC isn't a console they pull a stunt like this. There is absolutely no reason to have letterboxing considering the fov can be changed dynamically. The 30FPS lock is lazy as well considering they probably don't want to bother to redo the animations or fix the engine to be compatible with hfr.

Kobalt there are people who are sensitive to the framerate. In this case I am more annoyed about the forced aspect ratio.

News Comments > DICE: BF4 Launch "Absolutely" Damaged Player Trust
33. Re: DICE: BF4 Launch Oct 8, 2014, 16:52 TheEmissary

I am not so sure the main DICE office has learned anything but I think DICE LA which is rebranded Visceral Games has certainly lot to prove with this game. In BF4 they are still working to make the game playable and bring back the feeling of BF2/2143 style play with Classic Mode. The main office all the complaints fell on deaf ears but the LA guys at least are making an effort to fix BF4.

Personally I think they should release HardLine without any Day-one DLC perks so people don't feel the need to preorder over waiting for post-launch reviews. A good pre-release demo (not beta) couldn't hurt either.

BF4 definitely hurt the brand I think if my group of friends is anything to go by. The group I normally game with tended to play all the previous BF games for several hours a day but have largely dropped the game because its too frustrating waiting for bugs to get fixed. If you have BF gamers with hundreds or perhaps thousands of hours of playtime in other titles giving up then you know you messed up.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 5, 2014, 15:01 TheEmissary

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:05:
Now there is a large cry from the people... Modular TV's.

I think this patent is going to have more of an impact on diy pc builds than it will for TVs. I doubt most TV viewers are going to want to tinker with the TV and I doubt the manufacturers would want to encourage that. Most people that want a wall sized TV already buy 60+ in TVs as it is.

On the PC side of things you already have a well established diy scene that tinkers with removing bezels for multi-screen setups.

On the GTX980 OpenCL news. This benchmark more or less is saying that the GTX960 and GTX970 are probably going to be way over priced when the coin miners start buying them up.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 16:33 TheEmissary

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 13:46:
Kajetan wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:29:
What is funny about people wanting a certain UI?

For me, there are two reasons that I find it funny (one funny as in weird and the other funny as in humorous):

Because that UI is ancient, being very close to 19 years old now, and it is no longer suited to the way modern computing works. Yet there are people who still insist that a UI that was designed for a single screen running at 800x600 is still the greatest thing ever. To me, it's funny in the same way that old guys bitch and carp about how much "better" it was when engines still had carburetors and how "easier" they were to work on.

Yet these will inevitably also be the same people who bitch, whine, cry, and throw a tantrum when that creaky old OS they're clinging so desperately to, simply for the sake of a certain UI, stops being supported by software and hardware vendors. We've seen it once before with XP. People who whined and cried about how much more "awesome" XP was than 7 threw a fit when developers of both commercial and entertainment software stopped supporting that platform.

Now, the amusement part comes in when some of those very same people will buy Windows 10 expecting an interface similar to Windows 7 out of the box. By the time Windows 10 hits retail shelves, Windows 7 will be a decade old. A DECADE. Yet they'll happily delude themselves in to believing that nothing has, or should, change.

The problem with Windows 8 UI is not that it is a bad design but one totally inappropriate for the majority of the devices it will be installed and used on. The UI works great when used on a Windows tablet or phone but its painful experience on non-touch devices.

I really want to have lot of the OS improvements but there is just too many issues to install it on my main machines. The UI has a split personality and no shared contexts and differing settings in some cases which quite frankly just gets in the way. The fact that the OS assumes you want fullscreen apps/menu or that the apps by default waste a ton of screen space. Gestures that work fine on a touch device are downright clumsy on mouse and keyboard.

Using your Car metaphor think about the fact that the way people drive hasn't radically changed all that much in say 60-70 years. The controls and steering wheel are all in predictable places and require next to no retraining. Windows 10 hybrid UI is acknowledgement of this.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 16:21 TheEmissary

I don't think Windows 7 will get DX12 but I think Windows 8.1 will get the update. The latest DX that Windows 7 is able to get is DX11. DX11.1 and DX11.2 are exclusive at the moment to Windows 8/8.1.

Microsoft really should back port or release a version of the api compatible with older versions of Windows to avoid a repeat of the Vista/DX10-era. Developers avoided DX10 like the plague because it was tied to an OS no one wanted at the time. After Windows 7 arrived developers largely skipped DX10 and went straight for DX11. Hard to say if Windows 10 will be a repeat of this but it has to knock it out of the park like Windows XP and 7 did.

News Comments > etc.
29. Re: etc. Oct 2, 2014, 13:30 TheEmissary

Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 13:25:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 13:15:
Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 13:11:
What lie, specifically, are you pointing to?
Don't be ASeven and say something without a link and a quote so people have an idea of what you're talking about.
Didn't you read the articles? If you did, then you'd already know that the whole "gamers are misogynists, etc, etc, etc," is a lie. So was the "there is no collusion" bit either. After all I've already posted that nice little plagiarism picture for you, showing that the articles all contain 35-45% non-original content.

Dude, have you followed #gamergate at all? The misogyny is positively out of control.
And do you understand what an opinion is?

Lastly, here's a nice letter to Intel from the lead developer of Skyrim. Notice how he points out that people like you aren't the audience for Gamasutra, anyway.

Gamaustra may not be a consumer-oriented site but it still a public facing one. Anything said on there is going to attract attention and could still have an effect on the sponsors. The articles get reposted and followed on plenty of aggregate sites so its reach is a bit larger than just Devs.

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. Oct 2, 2014, 13:10 TheEmissary

Both sides in this fight are ridiculous for taking it this far and being down right hostile to each other rather than actually talking about the issues. I would imagine there are legitimate issues with portrayal of women and ethics in Games Media/Enthusiast press but we aren't ever going to get a real forum for that.

The Op-Ed talking points could be said without vilifying an entire demographic of people.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 2, 2014, 10:46 TheEmissary

This is probably sounding like a broken record at this point but they really need to do something add value to the PS4 version of the PS+. I understand that the PS4 doesn't have the huge library of games to select from but why can't they toss some PS Now rentals to play the other platform's games. They need to do something other than releasing indie games that most people already played a year or two ago.  

News Comments > MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers?
32. Re: MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers? Sep 14, 2014, 21:21 TheEmissary

I would rather have native ports for the PC but a streaming solution is better than nothing when it comes to playing the exclusives. If I could play say Sunset Overdrive this way without having to buy a Xbox One I would be more than willing to try this service.  

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2014, 07:45 TheEmissary

What exactly is the thought process of some of these people that leads them to believe that eating a cactus and other equally bizarre things is a good idea. Didn't these people ever get pricked by a Cactus and realized how much it hurt on the hand or the arm, so why are these people not expecting it hurt way more in the mouth. Oh well this seems like a borderline darwin award at any rate.  

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
46. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 14:27 TheEmissary

Slick wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 12:57:
why is anyone here surprised with [R] releasing the windows version 2 months after the consoles? They'll make more money, that's why. Because it's primarily a single-player game which will be easily pirated on the PC. people who want it for the holidays will buy it for console.

now act indignant for me insinuating that anyone's ever pirated a singleplayer game on the PC. and remember that this isn't even a new game. they're reselling you last year's game with more car density for the low low price of full price. no discounts. lineup starts now.

besides i don't think they made enough from last year's game of the year, right? you know what i think? that this is one of those "companies" that likes to "make money"! hmmmm...

Rockstar already made bank on this game and this is the second release. I really doubt the next generation versions are going raise 2Billion for the launch week like last generation versions of the game did. This release is more about servicing the platforms that missed out during the first launch. So it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to delay the PC version for that reason.

I think the real reason is they want to deal with the easier platforms first and then spent the rest of the time Q/A the PC version. That just my guess.

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
16. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 10:47 TheEmissary

The preorder $500k for GTAOnline is the exact same amount that was given to players for the launch fiasco. The money for the story side is likely to balance out of the fact there are items in the game added from the compatibility packs that are priced way beyond what people can afford until mid game.  

318 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo