Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 281 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Defiance Game Not Dependent on TV Series
4. Re: Defiance Game Not Dependent on TV Series Jul 31, 2014, 13:24 TheEmissary

The TV series is actually better than the game by far. Last time I played the MMO it felt like one of those licensed games that used to be churned out by the dozens. Its not a bad game just not one you will go out of your way to play.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2014, 13:31.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 14:52 TheEmissary

jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 14:45:
1960s: Those people that write about racial inequality should just shut up already. Constantly writing about it won't do anything.

It should be talked about but not at the expense of ignoring other similar issues. There is lot of discrimination and harassment in general that needs to be sorted out. It isn't like women are the only groups getting harassed. Its just one of the more visual groups.

The tech industry discriminates against people based on age quite a lot and other industries have there other biases.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 14:14 TheEmissary

Most people are harassed on a daily basis for a multitude of stupid reasons be it gender, race, age, orientation, political views, region, and so on. Harassment period needs to end and to do that we shouldn't be accepting of it any form. We shouldn't ignore the other forms it occurs.

It is a worth while topic but I don't think Polygon is helping matters. Constantly getting on the pulpit the way are is just going to cause people to get adversarial or just tune out.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 21, 2014, 11:31 TheEmissary

I can't help but facepalm after reading about PC gamer's booing the Xbox games at the QuakeCon. For something that should be inclusive to all things ID and Quake they have to go and pull the "master race" or "elitist" BS. I may not agree with MS policies on a great many things but the least you can do is give the speaker your respect and or just quietly ignore them.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2014, 11:20 TheEmissary

I would imagine for a lot of people the Wii was their first entry in to console gaming or gaming in general. The motion control gimmick managed to drive early adoption like crazy in demographics that normally never gamed before. So it is smart that they are trying to show these people that there are either games for them or more mature focused games that might interest them.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2014, 11:12 TheEmissary

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 10:26:
Cutter pretty much nailed it. If you don't like it...don't buy it. If publishers are incentivized to sell crap DLC, the trend will only grow. That being said, I tend to buy games after release (read: on sale) and then buy the DLC I want....or get the GotY edition. Some of it's great stuff like CivV, Borderlands2, or Xcom. Others....it feels like there is more DLC than the original game (and all of it is piss poor).

If you play or enjoy any type of online multiplayer it isn't quite as easy to simply choose not to buy it. More often than not if you want to continue playing an online game you are goaded in to buying the DLC or suffer reduced matchmaking pools or reduced number of populated servers running without the dlc. Buying the complete package well after launch has the same problem except its more likely that people have moved on to another game. So if you care at all to play a certain you are more or less forced to stay current with it.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 11, 2014, 09:17 TheEmissary

It is strange they have to keep saying they aren't going to sell "Xbox" brand. There must be some serious attempts to spin it off by either the board or the stock holders.

News Comments > BF4 Test Environment Results
5. Re: BF4 Test Environment Results Jun 29, 2014, 19:15 TheEmissary

Brumbek wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 17:31:
Absolutely pathetic that DICE can't get netcode right. Quake 3 got it right 10+ years ago, which meant Modern Warfare 1-3 got it right as a result. Now, any serious CoD player will know that ironically CoD:Ghosts also ruined their netcode, introducing the "you duck behind cover then die" and the "turn a corner and die instantly" phenomenon that BF4 suffers from.

Sigh...as if Battlefield and CoD weren't bad enough with derivative content...now both series can't even do netcode right (BF never could).

On the plus side, CoD:AW this year is by a very competent developer and can possibly redeem CoD netcode-wise and maybe innovation-wise. Still, boring!

I'm tired of unranked, totally anti-competitive FPSs. I'll take Destiny Co-op over BF and CoD nonsense.

The reason older games had better netcode is because they were far simpler simulations. Quake had fewer players, smaller maps, and raycast weapons. Modern games have orders of magnitude more entities and object states that they have to worry about synchronizing. The more complex something becomes the higher likelihood of errors cropping up.

News Comments > EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans
10. Re: EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans Jun 23, 2014, 14:19 TheEmissary

Jivaro wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 13:39:
I don't really play any multiplayer FPS often enough to have any experience with it. I personally haven't had any troubles with it but that isn't saying much when you have been exposed to it as infrequently as I have.

I have just always wondered how it made money for the original developers and why there wasn't more competitive options for publishers to use instead of Punkbuster. Online games are such a huge money maker right now, you would think the market would be full of Punkbuster clones by now. Maybe I just don't know of them because it isn't really part of my interest in our hobby.

As far as third party anti-cheat middleware goes it is pretty much just Punkbuster, VAC, FairFight, Warden (Blizzard), and HackShield. I think the reason you don't see more companies creating middleware solutions is that because its a cat-and-mouse game and often not tailored completely to protect a game.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 17, 2014, 01:34 TheEmissary

Is there really a market for the Ouya anymore? Other Micro-consoles like the Kindle Fire TV and Playstation TV are priced similarly and already have better games. Then you have the fact that the big three consoles have made inroads to supporting indie development.

I have a strange feeling they are applying their own interpretation of what they consider a developer. A thousand developers a month seems a bit high for the console.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 16, 2014, 16:12 TheEmissary

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 15:46:
TheEmissary wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 14:54:
Most Youtube alternative sites have failed hard and fast because of the lack of content. The only way comcast is going to get content is to either scrap the data from other video sites like what some search engines do with google results and the other option is to pay content producers more than YT. Scraping the data is borderline illegal to illegal in most places so that isn't really an option. I can't really see Comcast offering paid monetization for videos on the platform.

Or the third option, put YouTube in an ultra-slow lane with a too high a fee charge to have YouTube move a decent speed again. When people can't use YouTube, they won't.

This isn't some random website like before, this is the gatekeeper.

I can't see this ending well as I don't see that other Peering networks and ISPs being anymore open to the idea. Verizon and ATT also throttle things like Youtube to Netflix similar to what you described.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 16, 2014, 14:54 TheEmissary

Most Youtube alternative sites have failed hard and fast because of the lack of content. The only way comcast is going to get content is to either scrap the data from other video sites like what some search engines do with google results and the other option is to pay content producers more than YT. Scraping the data is borderline illegal to illegal in most places so that isn't really an option. I can't really see Comcast offering paid monetization for videos on the platform.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
13. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 16, 2014, 14:49 TheEmissary

Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 02:39:
jimnms wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 00:41:
From what I remember of the video reviews of SD and the fighting aspect of it looked like QTE city. Wait for opponent to flash, press button to counter.

You CAN play it that way, but you don't have to. Once you've got a few moves under Wei Shen's (best character ever for a game like this, btw) belt, you can fairly easily kung-fu your way through a group of enemies in style. The counter is just there to not get hit while you're doing so.

So what does SD have to offer if the driving is crap, and the fighting looked meh to me.

I think it has a great story, and some excellent missions. It also, imo, has great fighting. Videos don't really do it justice, it's very fluid, very satisfying. Wei Shen turns into a total badass with just a few extra moves, you really feel like Bruce Lee mowing down hordes of unskilled fools.

But yeah, the driving is horrible. You won't be driving around for fun in SD.

The Melee system in SD was really good and pretty far away from being a QTE. My only concern with SD melee was the fact that lot of the advanced combos the keys wouldn't register properly on either the PC or 360.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 16, 2014, 14:44 TheEmissary

The GTX800 could be cheaper for any number of reasons such as less costly/better fabrication method, and possible a result of competition from AMD and consoles. It could be combination of everything I posted above. Consider right around the launch of launch of the 360 and PS3 you had 8800GTX cards that went for $600-700 too and the generation after that was more sanely priced.

The prices might be something along the lines of GTX880 ($490), GTX870 ($390), GTX890/Titan ($600-$750).

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 14, 2014, 17:33 TheEmissary

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 16:59:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 13:11:
The HD version of Sleeping Dogs is also listed for the preferred platform of the PC Master Race.

WTF was released?

The PC version already has the HD textures.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/202181/

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
15. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 14, 2014, 16:39 TheEmissary

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 16:34:
Blah blah its very different.

Blah blah its very hard.

Blah blah were looking at it closely.

You either are or you aren't. Obviously someone inside Bungie thinks it is devilishly clever just not to say it one way or the other.

Keep it if you must, we'll survive.

Probably just to keep a foot in the door if they need it. My guess is it will drop on PC a year from now around the time of the first major expansion. Wouldn't be first time or the last time a developer has been toying with the userbase. Rockstar said similar things for a full year before announcing officially the PC and next generation ports of GTA5. Its kind of the disgusting reality of the games industry.

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
12. Re: It will come Jun 14, 2014, 16:06 TheEmissary

Axis wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 15:21:
Can't blame companies to go where they perceive the money to be, but I don't put them on my favorite list when they sell out to consoles with exclusives. Wanna play both sides (like Rockstar), fine we'll accept your strategy of release dates. Wanna 'exclusive' (like Bungie), no thank you we don't want you -- it's very likely you'll have consolitis should you return anyway.

Besides, when it was first announced eons ago (aka "pc dying fad") they had absolutely no intention to develop it for PC. I'll be glad to keep them to their word and never buy it on PC.

I also couldn't care less about a the half-ass FPS Halo or it's derivatives (console fannies will go nuts here, but it's a fact -- just a vanilla FPS that works as well as it can on sub-par FPS controllers).

All they accomplished was to be one of first to do "FPS's" well on a console, nothing special beyond that and its very effective hype-machine.

When I think of bungie, I think of MTFL (and even Oni, I friggin loved that game). The first halo on was 'ok', but most of us were too busy clanning in dedicated FPS's or losing sleep during the heydays of MMOs...

Bungie for the most part was a Mac developer before Microsoft bought the studio at the time and did innovate the fps genre a bit. They were one of the first to have a FPS game using mouse-look with the Marathon series so they aren't exactly amateurs to the fps genre.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2014, 16:13.

News Comments > More Games to Support AMD's Mantle
31. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 12, 2014, 17:47 TheEmissary

bhcompy wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 15:51:
UHD wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:06:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:48:
TheEmissary wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:50:

Mantle is not supported on the consoles at all. The consoles have their own low level api that is proprietary to the console manufacturers.

Tom's Hardware article about Mantle

Did you read my linked article, which is newer, with quotes directly from AMD? AMD supports Mantle on console platforms.

It says they're ready to support Mantle on console platforms. Not the same thing.

It says "MS and Sony are welcome to utilize it whenever they want. We're standing by our phones." Which is to say AMD supports it.

AMD is of course going to claim to support it considering they designed and manufactured the hardware in these systems but it still wishful thinking. Microsoft and Sony have dismissed the idea of using Mantle on consoles and AMD themselves have admitted that Mantle is mostly for use on desktop PCs. So there is no point in expecting consoles to ever use it.

As far as ports go Xbox One ports are going to require much less work to get it working on PC considering they use a variant of DX11 and will have DX12 in a console update.

News Comments > More Games to Support AMD's Mantle
29. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 12, 2014, 14:35 TheEmissary

Despoiler wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 12:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:00:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 18:29:
Trevellian wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 11:19:
Is this where Nvidia gets to cry foul about their competitor getting to have an edge in certain games now like AMD did?
They can try, the difference is the SDK is open to anyone who wants to implement it, that includes nvidia.

This is FUD in every way possible.... Seriously, where the hell do people get that this is an open API? When you can not download the SDK publicly and you can not read the API specs then it's not a open API.

AMD said they will make it open early 2014, but until now 12 June 2014, fuck all has happened. Access is stricly limited to AMD selected developers. The api itself is locked behind a NDA and is not part of any open standards body. (Like Khronos Group)

So no, nobody can support mantle except choice developers selected by AMD ONLY (Currently)

And dx12, which will do what Mantle does but platform agnostic, will come in late 2015...

I truly wish AMD would open the API and put it into OpenGL.. so it's not that I am hating on them here, I just think it should be clear that this isn't an open API.

OpenGL has the same core problem that DX currently has. That is the core was developed prior to multi-core CPUs and thus the scaling is terrible. You can't add more extensions to solve that problem. It needs to be rewritten from the ground up for modern computers like Mantle and DX12.

Actually, DX11 does support multithreaded rendering contexts the problem is that some GPU vendors like AMD and Intel don't support it in their drivers. For that reason you only see one or two games supporting that feature one of the major ones being Civilization V.

DirectX12 and new versions of OpenGL will be changing the core API beyond mere extensions. Google for "OpenGL approaching zero overhead" presentations on the subject.

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible
7. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 11:10 TheEmissary

Sounds like portions of the engine are tied to framerate assumptions. Remember on the new Need for Speed game when you uncap the framerate I think that is what they are afraid would happen. I don't know why this is still an issue as the graphical frame rate doesn't have to be tied to the physics simulation speed.

Its not the greatest news to be hearing about the port but Its not the worst thing ever. At least we are getting the game at all.

281 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo