Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 396 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 11, 2016, 12:28 TheEmissary

nin wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 09:54:
Quantum Break Is Now Available For Digital Pre-order And Pre-download On Xbox One.

Interesting that the win10 version is included for free.

I am just happy Quantum Break is being released at the same time as the console version. I enjoyed all of Remedy's games on PC.

I think this is one of the rare times where it makes sense to preorder. You get all the Alan Wake games + DLC and the Windows 10 version. That is a pretty decent bundle right there. Kind of hard to find negatives with it besides being a DX12 showcase title.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Amazon Launches Free Game Engine
7. Re: Amazon Launches Free Game Engine Feb 9, 2016, 16:44 TheEmissary

I think what Amazon is really doing here is building up a games portfolio for some unannounced Game console or an expanded FireTV box. Or they are wanting to make a tidy profit with the AWS services that will be baked in to the code.

I am wondering what the licensing fees are going to be like.

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Feb 8, 2016, 16:11 TheEmissary

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 13:44:
The Division - I cranked this game up as far as the settings would let me. It looks great, and it kicks my systems ass into the mid 20 fps range in a lot of scenes. My PC has SLId 970s, an i7 4600k, shit-tons of RAM and games and OS on an SSD or hybrid.

Let's face it, if people weren't bitching about the game being "held back" by consoles, they'd be bitching about it not running well on current hardware.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I am still mostly using the PC I built in 2011 and only replaced storage drive and GPU. Even then the GPU I had would have seen me through the end of the year. The system requirements have been pretty flat for years.

It used to be people expected to upgrade some component every other year. Usually there was also noticeable difference but now its getting harder and harder to see.

All the same I wish developers would stop fueling the PC vs Console wars to be honest.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Feb 8, 2016, 12:58 TheEmissary

Just be honest Ubi and say you didn't want to spend any more time and resources on the game. It is a business decision fair enough but don't lie and say it was to keep things fair.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Feb 7, 2016, 18:45 TheEmissary

Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 15:06:
Oh screw you Rockstar. If they port RDR2 for the PC I'll be royally pissed.

Not to nitpick here but Red Dead Redemption is RDR2. The first game was Red Dead Revolver.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 7, 2016, 18:43 TheEmissary

If they want to remove next day programming then I will just watch the shows with a 7-day delay. Not a huge deal. Either that or I will buy the season on Amazon or wait even further for it to show up on Netflix. Killing next-day programming isn't going to stop the streaming services or cause people to resubscribe to cable or sat.  

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed
9. Re: Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed Feb 7, 2016, 18:27 TheEmissary

Nucas wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 16:09:
i always bought IW's games for the campaign first and multiplayer second. the guys at respawn probably have the pedigree to put together something really solid.

halo: nightfall was produced by ridley scott and defiance had a 100 million dollar show budget and fizzled. keep chasing that transmedia empire dream boyos.

I don't buy for a second that Halo Nightfall had a 100 Million dollar budget. Other than the pilot episode nothing after that really needed any massive budget. It was just them walking episode after episode through a scorched rocky terrain. Did 99 Million go to Ridley and 1 Million for the show itself.

Transmedia is an interesting concept but often the show and the game tends to get out of sync.For instance Defiance had to base the show in the ruins of St. Louis and set the game in ruins of California so they hardly ever interacted. Occassionally you saw a game NPC in the show and vice versa but they tended to be minor events that you if you blink you would miss it entirely.

Also fans of one side transmedia project might not care about the other. I didn't really care for the Defiance game but liked the show.

I think the real test of transmedia is going to be Quantum Break.

News Comments > Offensive Counter-Strike Global Offensive Severs Closed
7. Re: Offensive Counter-Strike Global Offensive Severs Closed Jan 29, 2016, 16:15 TheEmissary

There is nothing stopping people from modding the game here. It just won't be a ranked server. Considering there is a inventory/barter economy going they are kind of forced in to dealing with these problems on ranked servers. Just like they had to deal with the idlers servers in TF2.

If some one wants to mod CS:GO nothing is going to stop them if they want to make another CS:Zombies or surf or what ever custom mode.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Roadmap
23. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Roadmap Jan 27, 2016, 19:48 TheEmissary

Total-Khaos wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 14:37:
I wouldn't trust any of those numbers. When asked how they obtained player counts, they responded with:

Fetching data of another service is not as hard as many people think Nowadays with all the technology and all the different programming languages, it is nearly as easy as writing your own name.

We can't share how we do it. The numbers are fetched every 5 minutes from EA servers.

True, we are not related to EA/DICE in any way but nobody needs to be related to anybody to be able to do stuff online.

It seems amazing that this particular website can do what nobody else can apparently do.

Judging by what little information on how they aggregiate the data it seems like they are probably fetching user profiles and making a guessimate on that. I guess they are trying to make relative comparisons but there is no way they can be accurate. EA is going to sit on this data.

I have no doubt the game is declining on PC judging by how often you see the same people and how long it takes for the matchmaking to work. We have no clue if the concurrent users are 1k or 15k.

10. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Roadmap Jan 26, 2016, 23:32 TheEmissary

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 23:01:
Well, on the PS4 this game died a long time ago, as I thought it would based on the lack of content. I stopped seeing people playing it inside of a month, way inside. Looks like early 2017 people will have what should have been in the box from day one.

Lets hope the game isn't as dead as Battlefield Hardline when the final DLC rolls out. I agree with you the spacing between the DLC is going to kill the game.

9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Roadmap Jan 26, 2016, 23:30 TheEmissary

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 20:11:
Wake me up when EA looses the Star Wars License and someone makes a REAL Battlefront game.

As much as I enjoy Star Wars and want to see a future Battlefront game. A good game of this type doesn't have to use the Star wars license. Sure it would be nice to see familiar settings, vehicles or heroes but any well developed Science fiction setting could stand in for it. I am sure a spiritual clone/successor or what have you could do quite well.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X DLC Skipping PC; Backlash Ensues
15. Re: Mortal Kombat DLC Skipping PC; Backlash Ensues Jan 22, 2016, 11:09 TheEmissary

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 23:30:
TheEmissary wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 17:32:
necrosis wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 12:50:
TheEmissary wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 10:46:
This type of thing has happened a few times on a number of platforms. For instance the PS3/360 versions of Grand Theft Auto 5 Online no longer get the DLC packs.
This I think is a drastically different situation.

Actually the GTA Online example might be worse. The players with a 360/PS3 bought a game they thought was the definitive version and a year later PC/Xbox One/PS4 version comes out. The versions used to have parity in terms of features now the next generation versions are the only ones that have DLC support. The people that want to continue playing GTA Online are either stuck with the content freeze on the PS3/360 version or buy new copy to get the content that was expected.

It is pretty horrible for the people that enjoy Mortal Kombat X but it isn't like Netherstorm isn't releasing content they announced. I can see getting worked up over this if the PC version was announced months ago officially and not assumed it would be.

Um it's more due to the limitations of the last gen consoles more then anything else. And the content released for the 360/PS3 has been quite a bit more then previous GTA games combined after release.

That is most likely true but you also have to consider that Rockstar said at the time of the PS3/360 version's launch that they had no plans for a next generation version. The last generation version players had every right to expect the same content. Ultimately it became a bait and switch.

Either way in both cases here the lack of future DLC was a business decision.

12. Re: Mortal Kombat DLC Skipping PC; Backlash Ensues Jan 21, 2016, 17:32 TheEmissary

necrosis wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 12:50:
TheEmissary wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 10:46:
This type of thing has happened a few times on a number of platforms. For instance the PS3/360 versions of Grand Theft Auto 5 Online no longer get the DLC packs.
This I think is a drastically different situation.

Actually the GTA Online example might be worse. The players with a 360/PS3 bought a game they thought was the definitive version and a year later PC/Xbox One/PS4 version comes out. The versions used to have parity in terms of features now the next generation versions are the only ones that have DLC support. The people that want to continue playing GTA Online are either stuck with the content freeze on the PS3/360 version or buy new copy to get the content that was expected.

It is pretty horrible for the people that enjoy Mortal Kombat X but it isn't like Netherstorm isn't releasing content they announced. I can see getting worked up over this if the PC version was announced months ago officially and not assumed it would be.

3. Re: Mortal Kombat DLC Skipping PC; Backlash Ensues Jan 21, 2016, 10:46 TheEmissary

Just curious was the second season pass ever confirmed for PC. If it was then they entirely deserve the backlash they are getting. If they arrived at this decision after looking at the sales numbers/active players then I can sort of see where they are coming from.

This kind of thing sows a bit of mistrust with PC gamers and probably will be causing less sales on PC as a result. If people think their platform of choice is going to be less supported they aren't going to bother at all.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2016, 13:32 TheEmissary

Orogogus wrote on Jan 20, 2016, 13:26:
That's not right. Microsoft totally has a trademark on Windows, in several computer-related fields. Kimberly-Clark has a trademark on Windows in respect to soap and sanitary paper dispensers. Dell can't just sell a new line of laptops and call them "Apples", because that trademark is taken as far as computers go. Anyone can go to the USPTO TESS database and find these trademarks. Or you can go their owners' sites: Microsoft - it says Windows, and not Microsoft Windows.

As the article says, Sony might not be able to trademark Let's Play because this term is already common terminology in the industry. Apple wouldn't be able to trademark "Apple" if they were selling fruit instead of computers. Toyota can't trademark "car" or "steering wheel." But they might be able to get away with "Apple," if they were so inclined.

Not to mention someone else already has a Trademark for a very similar phrase which I think is "Let'Z Play" or something like that. I think Sony's attempt got blocked on it being too similar to the other trademark. Remember the whole Lindows debacle.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 17, 2016, 11:19 TheEmissary

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 14:53:
Only if you want to spend the rest of your life searching for driver workarounds while not being able to play games.
And the games you want to play won't be available, ever, on linux.

I think the problems Linux has right now can be solved with enough attention. Just a few years ago you could count the number of Linux games released in a given year on a single hand. Over the course of about 2-3 years the number Linux games rose pretty dramatically. It still has years before it will be even considered on the level of OSX to justify a port of an AAA game.

Just think back a few decades to the horrors of early DOS and Windows Gaming was like. I remember before I had proper internet access that I had to scrounge through the PC manuals to find out the ports/IRQs just so you can use the Sound Card. Or having to modify the config.sys/autoexec.bat to setup minimize memory usage or to load a TSR driver to be able to have mouse support in a game. To be honest Linux gaming is light years beyond that mess.

Windows had the virtue of a few decades of developer support and resources to solve lot of that initial difficulty. Linux could have that if Valve and other parties keep their resolve for a few more years.

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
40. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 20:17 TheEmissary

Why is Microsoft aping Apple's playbook. Forcing yearly hardware and software cycles isn't endearing to a lot of people.

No CPU requires any particular OS to run. It might have new features in its instruction set that the previous OS aren't equipped to use. Unless they have some DRM module in the CPU, it doesn't care what kind of OS feeds it the instructions.

The real take away I get out of this is they don't want Windows 7 to be the new XP. They want to push the hardware and software vendors from continuing support for MS legacy products.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 13, 2016, 16:46 TheEmissary

Integrated graphics can probably rival discrete cards one day. Just not today. Think about this both Xbox one and PS4 have integrated or near integrated graphics modules built directly into AMD Jaguar CPUs.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 13, 2016, 16:39 TheEmissary

I think the main reason why PC sales have been leveling off is because we aren't seeing massive improvements from year to year. Lot of people treat buying a PC like they do a car as they splash out get a decent one and only replace it when it breaks. Only the enthusiasts or game players will actively seek out yearly upgrades or replacement parts.

It has reached a point where majority of the tasks people think they want to do on a computer can be done with a low-end laptop or phone. Not whole lot can be done to change that without major technological breakthroughs like in the 1990s.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 11, 2016, 11:32 TheEmissary

I am sure for early adopters or extreme enthuasists $600-1000 is reasonable but not for the mass market. People are already sensitive to the price of the gaming consoles so it is really asking a lot to expect people to pay that much for a peripheral.

396 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo