Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 302 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers?
32. Re: MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers? Sep 14, 2014, 21:21 TheEmissary

I would rather have native ports for the PC but a streaming solution is better than nothing when it comes to playing the exclusives. If I could play say Sunset Overdrive this way without having to buy a Xbox One I would be more than willing to try this service.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2014, 07:45 TheEmissary

What exactly is the thought process of some of these people that leads them to believe that eating a cactus and other equally bizarre things is a good idea. Didn't these people ever get pricked by a Cactus and realized how much it hurt on the hand or the arm, so why are these people not expecting it hurt way more in the mouth. Oh well this seems like a borderline darwin award at any rate.  

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
46. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 14:27 TheEmissary

Slick wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 12:57:
why is anyone here surprised with [R] releasing the windows version 2 months after the consoles? They'll make more money, that's why. Because it's primarily a single-player game which will be easily pirated on the PC. people who want it for the holidays will buy it for console.

now act indignant for me insinuating that anyone's ever pirated a singleplayer game on the PC. and remember that this isn't even a new game. they're reselling you last year's game with more car density for the low low price of full price. no discounts. lineup starts now.

besides i don't think they made enough from last year's game of the year, right? you know what i think? that this is one of those "companies" that likes to "make money"! hmmmm...

Rockstar already made bank on this game and this is the second release. I really doubt the next generation versions are going raise 2Billion for the launch week like last generation versions of the game did. This release is more about servicing the platforms that missed out during the first launch. So it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to delay the PC version for that reason.

I think the real reason is they want to deal with the easier platforms first and then spent the rest of the time Q/A the PC version. That just my guess.

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
16. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 10:47 TheEmissary

The preorder $500k for GTAOnline is the exact same amount that was given to players for the launch fiasco. The money for the story side is likely to balance out of the fact there are items in the game added from the compatibility packs that are priced way beyond what people can afford until mid game.  

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
66. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 13:10 TheEmissary

Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 13:07:
TheEmissary wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 13:05:
Sony kind of does have a Minecraft clone in development with EQ Next Landmark. I am pretty sure Next or Landmark will ever rise above niche status for most people and certainly no where near Minecraft levels.

Isn't Fortnite coming to PS4?

Its a PC exclusive as far as I know. Fortnite is more of an actual game than a free-form construction toolset. Yes you build forts but you have no where near the amount of options.

If you were asking about Next/Landmark being on PS4 it probably will at some point. There are lot of games with construction elements being developed at this point so I doubt we will have a shortage of them regardless of what happens with Minecraft.

63. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 13:05 TheEmissary

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:58:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:51:
Has anyone even considered the fact that Minecraft as a property is pretty much at Pokemon-level mass appeal and recognition at this point? Go to any store that carries kids' toys and you'll see all sorts of Minecraft shit.

Right that is the draw, can they make it work to make ROI?

As for exclusiveness. Sony can drop 500 million then on a Minecraft killer and for 500 million I'm certain they can do that and the PS4 fans would eat it up as it would be "their baby". Now they don't have to spend 500 million even, but think what they could do with a 1/4 of what MS paid and have a new game that no one has yet, vs a brand, but everyone already has.

Sony kind of does have a Minecraft clone in development with EQ Next Landmark. I am pretty sure Next or Landmark will never rise above niche status for most people and certainly no where near Minecraft levels.

30. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:26 TheEmissary

Verno wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 09:25:
Beyond the obvious dismay at seeing Microsoft acquire yet another PC-centric property to grind into dust, I have to question the business side of it as well. Minecraft is really impressive sales wise but has already realized a significant portion of its potential lifetime sales. Sure they could milk it with Minecraft-esque IP that shares the same name but that would only go for so long. The modding community would probably throw a shit fit over this too and its a big part of the reason Minecraft became as popular as it is today. Does anyone really see Mojang being a good fit for corporate Microsoft?

2 billion could go into funding new IP, new studios or etc. Mojang doesn't really seem to have any other IP worth speaking of. If you're going to go that big, why not look at acquiring Take-Two or something? At least then you've got 2 big franchises to work with.

Verno, you are right the modding community could throw a fit over this. The news of the buyout coming out after the news of DCMA claims from over the misuse of the code "Bukkit" could push them over the edge. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some opensource version of Minecraft gains traction. Vanilla Minecraft right now is but a skeleton for the mods and really pales in comparison to what the modders are doing.

Also not to mention most of the Youtubers are covering the Minecraft mods as if they were games in their own right. So really this has the potential to have the exact opposite reaction they were looking for. Instead of having all the mod developers attention and word of mouth focused on one game your going to have it spread out over a bunch of construction/Minecraft-indie clones.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 3, 2014, 08:21 TheEmissary

I guess being on last generation consoles as well the game scope and install size wasn't going to be too outrageous. I was actually hoping for the game to be 40GB or at least significantly larger than the beta. The beta install was around 10GB and apparently the final install size for the game is 18GB. So its either a case of the game is really short or has lot of asset reuse or the beta had content we didn't see.  

News Comments > Op Ed
190. Re: Op Ed Aug 30, 2014, 17:56 TheEmissary

Concerning the "Gamers don't have to be your audience" article. I wonder if the Gamasutra author visits forums and comment sections not even related to gaming. If he thinks Gamers are toxic then the author should read some of things people are spewing in terms of politics and national current events. Some people will be horrible regardless of the topic. The internet or games didn't create these attitudes it just gave it a larger echo chamber.

I am getting extremely annoyed by how many sites are jumping on the bandwagon that vilifies or stereotype all gamers for the actions of a minority. Not everyone thinks alike or believes the same things. Probably often than not there are people with a compatible world view but constantly berating people for not believing exactly the same as you do could actually turn people off from discussing the core problems.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: RE: Follow up Aug 27, 2014, 00:44 TheEmissary

UConnBBall wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 20:35:
Sad Google didn't land Twitch.tv I am scared that Amazon will cause:
1) No chromecast for Twitch!!!!
2) They will reduce the payment to streamers
3) They don't know eSports and we will lose the ability to watch every event through Twitch
4) Twitch ends up becoming a wasteland 3 years down the road due to zero development on the platform
5) Amazon puts up pay walls like Prime or other ways of pushing Amazon.

1. Its in Amazon's best interest to keep Twitch as accessible on as many devices as possible. Amazon has apps for Android which is a google platform.

2. It is too early to know that.

3. All Twitch has to do is provide a venue for people to stream their gameplay and the players will do the rest. It isn't going to take very long to get up to speed on how to run tournaments and so on. You are forgetting that Amazon started as a online book company that morphed in to a online retailer and venturing in to being a cloud provider and making devices. I think they have the knowledge base to make it work.

4. Too early to tell and see 3.

5. Twitch before the buyout already had paywall subscriptions.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Aug 23, 2014, 15:35 TheEmissary

Ideally what Forbes said may be true on average for the industry but there is no denying there are major sites that provoke the reader base in one way or another. Sites like Kotaku and Polygon are often guilty of this and other sites are guilty of it because that is how the game is marketed. There aren't too many sites out there that follow any type of ethical standards or actual journalism for video games. I have seen lot of sites pulling click-bait or intentionally controversial topics to drive traffic to ad-heavy pages.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2014, 16:05.

News Comments > Seldon Crisis Announced
9. Re: Seldon Crisis Announced Aug 23, 2014, 08:09 TheEmissary

Scud wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 00:19:
To me, naming a warship the 'Hari Seldon' makes about as much sense as the U.S. Navy naming a warship after Sigmund Freud, and it only has one big cannon.(and it's just a cannon, nothing else, honest!)

I think the ship should have been called "The Dead Hand" which was the other name given to Seldon by General of the old Empire. In the novels people wanted to give the illusion they knew what was going to happen and they were on the right side of history and they often did that by trying associate themselves in anyway with Seldon and the plan.

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
18. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 11:47 TheEmissary

Fantaz wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 11:02:
i never thought Ubisoft would do a better job with the Far Cry franchise than Crytek would... looks like i was proven wrong. the upcoming Far Cry 4 looks leagues better than anything Crytek has come up with so far.

There is very little of the original FarCry left in the series beyond the name. Each game did its own thing and that was that. Then again you don't really come to a FarCry series for the plot at this point. The Sandbox world in FC3 was pretty impressive I'll give you that.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 20:15 TheEmissary

Using images/gameplay of the games and the box art on the kickstarter page is probably asking for trouble even if the project is legal.  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 20:05 TheEmissary

The legality of it is questionable. It is true that emulators in of themselves maybe legal to a degree but that depends on the implementation. If the hardware being emulated is still patent encumbered then it wouldn't necessarily be legal. Not mention it wouldn't be legal (DMCA) if the emulator bypassed the DRM scheme on the content ran through it.

I think systems built in the 80's and 90's are probably legal to build emulators for but anything newer is very questionable.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2014, 21:58.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 17, 2014, 14:51 TheEmissary

Its not a hardware or a cost issue its a software/content issue. You have convince to film studios to make the switch in how they encode the films. You also have to get the industry to settle on one standard which hasn't happened yet. Highend Home audio systems and 3DTVs aren't priced out of reach of normal consumers any more.  

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
50. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 13, 2014, 09:15 TheEmissary

NKD wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 00:16:
In before Deus Ex and Hitman move to Xbone Exclusivity.

I really hope Deus Ex isn't caught up in this mess. I wonder if the TR call was crystal dynamics or Square Enix decision.

It annoys me greatly all the politics that goes in to distributing and publishing games. As a gamer I just want to play the games I like but they are certainly making it difficult. I can begrudgingly accept series that start exclusive and stay exclusive to one system but I will never accept the case when a multiplat goes exclusive.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 4, 2014, 11:50 TheEmissary

Redmask wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 10:41:
EA has totally mismanaged the Ultima franchise and the worst part is that they never part with IP so you know it's stuck there 'forever'. With so many great RPGs on the horizon its begging for a re-release.

That isn't a completely true as The Wasteland IP proves. I would imagine some one with a unique connection to the series could gain control back. It might be a decade or more before that happens if ever.

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed?
12. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 13:14 TheEmissary

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 13:01:
I'm hoping for the best but this game is giving me serious Spore vibes.

It does feel like a more fleshed out space phase. Based on the rumors and what the developers have said it appears to even have the same objective of trying to reach the center of the galaxy. Both games have procedurally generated planets and lifeforms that were either fetched from a database or created randomly. In spore the space phase was just the last phase of the game not the entire focus.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Aug 1, 2014, 13:07 TheEmissary

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 11:15:
When Linux becomes as easy as Windows and games run the same way under it then people will adopt. Otherwise it'll always be a pipe dream.

There are plenty of distributions and Windowing Shells that are as easy as windows. The problem is that Linux has too many competing standards and formats that make it difficult for new users to make sense of it. The amount of redundant effort for certain things can hurt as much as it can help.

302 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo