Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 350 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > OS X & Linux DirectX 11 Support Plans
3. Re: OS X & Linux DirectX 11 Support Plans Jun 30, 2015, 11:27 TheEmissary

I guess this is a good thing for people that use OSX and Linux. I can't help but think that is being added too late for it to really matter. If they added support for this two years ago when Linux and OSX native ports for most games were few and far between this would have been a huge deal. As there are tons of native games on all platforms this is really the kind of thing you shrug your shoulders at.

To be honest I would be focusing my efforts on the Vulkan API over supporting an API that is being phased out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 27, 2015, 21:27 TheEmissary

I am all for removing restrictions to make releasing games easier but there has to be a better way than Early Access. Early access just legitimatizes the practice of releasing incomplete games for profit. Majority of the games that release under early access never leave and stay there in a state of limbo.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DLC Monday
4. Re: Battlefield Hardline DLC Monday Jun 20, 2015, 18:36 TheEmissary

I really don't think the answer is adding more DLC to a game that is dying on practically every platform. They really need to shore up the active players first before releasing more content. Just look at the active players for PC for HL its in the 1-5k range with a very very limited selection of servers.

This game might limp along for a while but after November it will be all but dead.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 16, 2015, 08:45 TheEmissary

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 04:18:
Fantaz wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 00:09:
now Sony should make PS4 backwards compat. with PS3 titles. (HURRY UP!)

With how unique the architecture on the PS3 was compared to the pretty standard x86 hardware in the 360, I don't see the PS4 getting emulation of PS3-era games ever.

Also, did anyone see that Early Access is coming to XbOne? DayZ is one of the titles mentioned along with Elite: Dangerous. LOL

We really need a new name for games that will perpetually be in early access. DayZ really should have had a complete build by now.

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 16, 2015, 08:42 TheEmissary

I have a feeling there will be two classes of mods for Fallout 4 ones that just use the internal creation kit scripting language and ones that are executable replacements like on the PC. The developers said they were going to also do this on the PS4 so its unlikely a Windows binary mod will work on all three.

The developers kind of hinted that at some sort of curation for the mods. They basically want the PC to be the incubator for the mods and the best ones will be added over time to all platforms. This would probably be no different than the Portal 1 mods being packaged as Still Alive.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 12:28 TheEmissary

Cutter wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 12:23:
TheEmissary wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 12:08:
It seems like the author is missing the mark. You can install 3rd party software if you go in to desktop mode. Once there you can install the missing dependencies and packages just like any other linux distribution.

http://www.howtogeek.com/179883/how-to-use-the-steamos-desktop/

There are major AAA games coming out that support PC/Mac/Linux/SteamOS. The Back-catalog isn't really all that bad.

The entire point of this is to compete with consoles for ease-of-use for gamers who aren't PC savy so how would something like this possibly be of any benefit? It defeats the entire purpose of the machine to begin with. One way or the other you're still better off just buying a Windows based PC.

I was just mentioning the edge cases. You can support games that aren't "Steam supported". On Windows even you might occasionally have to manually install and also no different to how people may sideload apps on mobile platforms.

I am sure Valve if they have the desire they can solve the dependency issue for running non-steam linux games. Most package managers are really easy in terms of installing what you need to run the application. It can almost be automated or have dialog prompts no different to when you install Windows games with 5-10 Redist libraries (DX/OGL, VC++, etc).

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 12:08 TheEmissary

It seems like the author is missing the mark. You can install 3rd party software if you go in to desktop mode. Once there you can install the missing dependencies and packages just like any other linux distribution.

http://www.howtogeek.com/179883/how-to-use-the-steamos-desktop/

There are major AAA games coming out that support PC/Mac/Linux/SteamOS. The Back-catalog isn't really all that bad.

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
22. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 11:50 TheEmissary

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:41:
I like the idea of having refunds as a consumer but at the same time I just can't see how this is not going to be abused.

Games like Audio Surf, geometry wars, Beat Hazard, etc... are the indie type games that will get decimated by this policy. They are the type of impulse buy games that people will eventually think, "great game but I'll return it and wait for it to be $2.50" after an hour of playing.

The developers will then start building unnecessary 2 hour mandatory "tutorials", with long boring no bypass non interactive in game cut scenes to combat it.

IMHO the best way to combat it is to turn the refund to a penalty based approach. For each minute of play time you deduct 1% the game price from the refund, and at the end of 100 minutes you can't get one.

I don't think Indie developers will be able to get away with unnecessarily padding their game. Indie games that pad the game length already get poorly reviewed and this will only further hurt the overall review the game will get. Most Indie games on Youtube are shown in a first impressions format so if they end up forcing a long tutorial it will decimate any good will for the game.

I think in the long run I think this will be good as it will force developers to try to release games that are stable and genuinely fun to play. If the game can be beaten in less than 2Hours with no replayability then thats a problem with the game design.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 1, 2015, 22:28 TheEmissary

I would cancel Netflix in a heartbeat if they start rolling ads of any type. One of the reason I subscribe to netflix to begin with is to get away from that. Its also the reason the why I avoid Hulu.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse May 18, 2015, 15:22 TheEmissary

There really is no competition in the cable TV or ISP space. Most of the providers intentionally collude to stay out each others region to avoid competing directly. On top of all that you have regional ordinances or laws that flat out block any expansion by another company.

The thing that really annoys me is the fact that these large telecommunications companies misused federal and state money that was intended for installing fiber and expanding in to rural areas. Why hasn't any one taken them to task over using the money to buy out other competitors or wireless spectrum.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2015, 16:22 TheEmissary

There has to be a happy medium between an open distribution platform and a curated one. Just off the top of my head they could implement a ranking system that factors in the average playtime. (ie. Game X is played for average of 0.5 hours).

I really dislike that the Steam store is beginning to look awful lot like the mobile appstores on android and iOS. It is really difficult to know what is a quality game and what is terrible one with the current system.

News Comments > etc.
29. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2015, 12:07 TheEmissary

Modding just got really messy and doesn't look it will get any better from here on out. This basically is going to take the worst elements from early access and mobile appstores in terms of IP theft and quick cash grabs. Not to mention the mere fact of selling the mod will hurt its discoverability. Can you honestly say that Counter-Strike or DOTA when they were still mods would have been anywhere near as popular if they were paid mods initially.

Modding used to exist as a hobby or an experience building exercise before moving on to doing real game development. I think charging for mods is going to really blur the line between what is a mod and is a full game. I think if a team is going to the trouble of making a total conversion they should try to license an SDK or the engine directly and release it as a game proper.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Mar 29, 2015, 13:06 TheEmissary

I wouldn't exactly call using VPN/Proxies to access a subscription service your paying monthly for piracy. It isn't exactly legal to circumvent the geoblocking but its a bit disingenuous to call it piracy.  

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DRM Follow-up
3. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Follow-up Mar 26, 2015, 09:27 TheEmissary

For years all these companies want to sell us on the idea of computing/gaming anywhere and now they change their mind. Granted 5 changes per 24 hour period isn't too horrible but where will it stop. Even the best Hardware-based DRM is going to fail and lockout a legitimate user occasionally.

It would be nice if this system would allow for you to see and manage the active installs through the website. At the very least it should tell you if you are getting close to a limit before it happens. (This is your 3rd activation out of 8 in a 24 hour period).

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints
12. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints Mar 25, 2015, 10:01 TheEmissary

I can tolerate account-based drm but I will not tolerate hardware key drm ever. I throughly disliked and avoided SecuROM and other forms of DRM that used similar schemes. If EA goes forward with this I will just start avoiding their games again.

Just when I thought publishers were wising up on DRM practices they pull this again.

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
29. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 15:30 TheEmissary

Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 13:47:
Also, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. All someone needs to do is code a launcher program which manages all of your, well, launchers. All you'd see is your list of games, and then when you doubleclick them, it automatically launches the e-store which corresponds, and then the game. You'd never have to interact with the e-store, you'd wait a few seconds, and then your game would start. it's brilliant I tell you!

Then you'd be able to support the developers themselves by not buying from 3rd party corporations. Instead of letting a corporation which had NOTHING to do with the game's development skim %30, (of gross, which is insane. %30 of net would be a hard pill to swallow. But %30 of gross? that's insane) More money would go directly to the developers. Is altruistic at worst, and will come back in the form of higher game budgets for us gamers to enjoy at best.

It's the perfect solution, I don't know why anyone hasn't thought of it yet. The ability to somehow manage games from all sorts of competing developers, with the sense that your collection was still somehow all in the same place. Oh wait, they did. It's called "placing a shortcut on your desktop"

fucking gamers *shakes head*

I have no clue if the ~30% is fair or not, but distribution services are hosting the files and other game features that has to be paid for somehow. In the case its a percent per unit. On the consoles you have similar fees for releasing your games regardless if its digital. Physical retailers take a cut as well. Its part of the cost of doing business and being able to reach larger audience/market.

There is nothing stopping these developers from self-publishing or using an engine with better terms. The developers choose off-shelf engines and pre-built solutions for a reason.

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
12. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 12:24 TheEmissary

I think this is mostly to close the TitanFall loophole with Version 1.x of the Source Engine. Titanfall uses a modified Source Engine but its only available on Origin. That said I would imagine there is likely other licensing options.  

News Comments > Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold
33. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 3, 2015, 18:18 TheEmissary

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 20:18:
Works well for Eve, don't see a problem with this at all.

Oh and 40k a month from garrison missions, sorry, have to call you bluff on that, they are not near as profitable. If you want to make money in Wow, you have to spend a lot of time in instances.

You can get about 800-1100+ daily from garrison if you factor in the missions (treasure/gold), salvage, and even more if you happen to be smart with how you handle your profession mats. Getting 40k a month isn't too outrageous as you might think.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Announcement at E3?
20. Re: Fallout 4 Announcement at E3? Mar 2, 2015, 12:06 TheEmissary

There is quite a difference between a rendering engine and gameplay engine. I am sure the rendering engine has been modified extensively since Morrowind but you can definitely see the same odd game-play quirks in all their games.

I hope Fallout 4 is more New Vegas than Fallout 3. I felt the story in NV tied more with the plot/lore of the older games.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced
14. Re: Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced Mar 2, 2015, 11:30 TheEmissary

You would think with a major shift in the BF formula that they would be more cautious. This title could fall on its face like BF4 did so its bit silly to go to the well this early again.

I can't say I won't ever buy Hardline but I know I won't be buying it at the $60 or $110 for the complete version right now.

350 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo