Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 246 (Novice)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Battlefield 1942 Redux
5. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Redux Apr 18, 2014, 19:39 TheEmissary

Umm, not burst anyone's bubble here but this game has been free on Origin for two years. They made it free after the 10th Anniversary of BF1942. They haven't tried selling it since. Keep in mind this version doesn't have the expansions.

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2012/11/download-bf1942-for-free/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Getting AMD Mantle Support
6. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Getting AMD Mantle Support Apr 15, 2014, 15:39 TheEmissary

I would think that APIs like OpenCL or Directcompute would have more impact on the game with offloading some of the turn computations. In turn-based games there really isn't a whole lot of animations going on. I suppose it could be useful for increasing the mesh quality and image quality. Civilization V did use tessellation.  

News Comments > Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing
7. Re: Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing Mar 19, 2014, 20:09 TheEmissary

Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 19:29:
$19 per plus 5% for full source code?
That's better than UDK in some ways, as you get full source code, but less good in that, with UDK, you could work for months without paying anything.

There is nothing stopping you from prototyping or writing code for your game using UDK and then upgrade to the full engine later. Regardless $19 a month is pretty cheap even for indie developers.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - TowerFall Ascension
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - TowerFall Ascension Mar 12, 2014, 17:45 TheEmissary

saluk wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 17:20:
The last nail in the Ouya coffin.

I think the concept of a micro-console is sound its just there was nothing novel about the Ouya. Most of the games on the Ouya were either ports of Android games or multiplatform games. TowerFall was one of the few games that was actually generating any interest at all for the system and they lost that. As of right now there is no reason to own an Ouya. Basing a system on being a cheap emulation box isn't a healthy model.

News Comments > Titanfall PC Connection Issues Fixed
9. Re: Titanfall PC Connection Issues Fixed Mar 12, 2014, 17:36 TheEmissary

I think I will continue to wait on this game. I have been burned too many times on preorder/launch window titles. Maybe in a month or two once the hype settles down and the launch issues sorted I might get the game.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs
28. Re: Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs Mar 12, 2014, 17:29 TheEmissary

1badmf wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 14:51:
TheEmissary wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 14:25:
Bundy wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 09:47:
Looking for, but don't see "Win7/8 64 bit". Damn.

Its inferred from the fact the game requires you to have a DX11 graphics card and need 6GB of RAM. Its possible they could also be supporting Vista but its unlikely.

why would it be unlikely? vista can run everything 7 and 8 can. i know me and a few others here are vista holdouts who REGRET NOTHING!!! all patched up it runs flawlessly. maybe still a resource hog, but i've never noticed since i've always maintained an enthusiast level machine.

It has nothing do with whether Vista is a good or bad OS. Most developers usually stick to supporting two versions of Windows at a time. Some might go above and beyond that but its rare. That is all I meant by it. Vista supports DX11, but its up to the developer if they optimize for it.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs
13. Re: Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs Mar 12, 2014, 14:25 TheEmissary

Bundy wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 09:47:
Looking for, but don't see "Win7/8 64 bit". Damn.

Its inferred from the fact the game requires you to have a DX11 graphics card and need 6GB of RAM. Its possible they could also be supporting Vista but its unlikely.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 9, 2014, 20:30 TheEmissary

harlock wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 20:00:
Ant wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 19:53:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 18:24:
Remind me never to borrow anybody's phone. Ever.
Same with other things. How do you know that IT washed his hands before using your keyboards and mice?

its a known fact keyboards have most germs of anything ever

Mice, controllers, and so on, anything that gets used on a daily basis really.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
6. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 9, 2014, 20:23 TheEmissary

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 13:50:
Ouya could probably carve itself out a little niche in the hobby electronics and educational markets.

Maybe, but the people that would be into hobby/educational electronics would probably stick with the Raspberry Pi or Beagle Boards.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
9. Re: Sunday Consolidation Feb 2, 2014, 23:45 TheEmissary

Microsoft isn't going to admit to a new SKU unless it was close to being ready to ship. A SKU like this will probably happen at some point. The 360 ran the gamut of different SKUs some without a HDD, some with flash memory, and so on. Its kind of obvious they have other variants planned.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
65. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 31, 2014, 01:56 TheEmissary

Did it ever occur to you that some people game on 120 or 144hz monitors.

Most modern at least the highly threaded ones respond more to the number of cores than the core frequency. Games like BF3 and BF4 are examples of this, with at most 5 fps apart when using the same GPU.

Its really too early to call this as we have no idea what Nvidia response to Mantle is going to be. The rumor mill suggests that the next Nvidia GPUs (Maxwell) are going to have an ARM co-processor to offload tasks from the main processor. If the rumors are true then both companies have been focused on eliminating the CPU bottleneck when using their GPUs.

Its going to be an interesting 18months to see where this ultimately settles at. My early guess is that depending on performance this could cause a price war between the two GPU companies. This all depends on how many Mantle games are announced and get released in that window as well.

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch
10. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 17, 2014, 19:18 TheEmissary

Jeraxle wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 18:40:
I actually miss Blockbuster.. Where else could you get 4 DVDs for $20? I built most of my movie collection on what they sold me.

On topic: So much for Microsoft saying they are revitalizing their views towards moving into more PC gaming...

Microsoft thinks or used to think the PC was firmly in their pocket so they didn't think they had to innovate. They usually say a few positive things about PC around the time of the new consoles then quietly do nothing or worse. They haven't really done anything to promote the PC as a gaming platform at all and probably won't if they still have a popular console.

News Comments > WoW to Add Level-up Purchases
9. Re: WoW to Add Level-up Purchases Jan 17, 2014, 10:19 TheEmissary

I could imagine this would feel like a betrayal to those who went through all the content at the intended pace. The pre-MOP stuff has been made redundant and only serves to be a XP grind. Most people just queue for dungeons until they hit the level cap required for the new expansion. All this is doing is letting people skip that and go straight to what they want to play.

I think instead of having this as a pay service this should have been made the norm with each expansion. Why did they have to make you grind out 1-85 levels as a Pandaren. They could have fleshed out the idea similar to what they did with the Death Knights.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2014, 10:36.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 5, 2014, 14:19 TheEmissary

I don't think SEC rules are meant for kickstarter which is more donation based. It is more for actual investments that will get a return at some point.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Yes, thats exactly what we need is ANOTHER NEW ******* PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE Nov 16, 2013, 17:13 TheEmissary

DukeFNukem wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 17:00:
I've heard of the software. Never used it myself.

I stated the problems I have with new programming languages. Lay-people shouldn't be writing software. Just like they shouldn't be doing brain-surgery. Programming is inherently complex. It can only ever be so simple. The simpler a programming language is the less powerful and flexible it will be to the developer.

I am okay with languages "evolving" over time to address the requirements of the modern era in which we leave. But I think some people try to hard to re-invent the wheel every 10 years. They have this philosophy in their mind that tells them to panic if we don't re-invent the wheel every 10 years. What Microsoft did with Windows 8 is a tragedy.

“Everything should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler” - Albert Einstein

The languages don't vanish when a new one is introduced. Its merely a new option for others to use if they wish. Its important to understand who is the intended user and what goals your after. There is no perfect language that solves every domain of problems. In the case of Wolfram they write software for scientists and academic use for people who don't necessarily have computer science/engineering backgrounds.

Languages like Ada, Pascal, Fortran all still exist and the specifications are being updated over time. Like I said before its about understanding your problem and finding a language that fits the problem. If your happy with a language because of your competence then stick with it. There are compilers for every much every language that was ever used.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2013, 17:19.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Yes, thats exactly what we need is ANOTHER NEW ******* PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE Nov 16, 2013, 16:22 TheEmissary

DukeFNukem wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 14:59:
We don't have enough programming languages right now. Please, make up a new one so that the ones I have been mastering for the past several years will be obsolete.

This is exactly what we need. Refine and keep improving the old languages? LOL. Bah Humbug. Who wants to do that?

Let's all be like Microsoft and scrap 20 years of perfecting something every 10 years. That way we can slap a ******* "New and Improved" sticker on the box and sell it to retards who actually believe that marketing hype.

Can't wait for a new programming language. I am starting to salivate at the thought.

Oh btw, who the ******** is Stephen Wolfe? Was that his name? Never heard of the guy. He's even less relevant than John Carmack.

I don't see your problem with new programming languages. New ones exist to fill specialty roles were previous ones were weak. Some exist to make it easier for lay-people to code or define what they need. Some exist for better security, rapid development, object-oriented features, and so on. Any good developer should be evaluating languages to see if it better fits their project.

Have you not heard of software like Mathematica.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 7, 2013, 22:51 TheEmissary

For over a decade there have been many games that had at least 64 players. Games like BF1942-2142;3-4, Tribes, Planetside, MAG, or pretty much any MMO for starters. Really what they are saying is that consoles are finally leaving the peer to peer model to go after the larger experiences.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround
39. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 15:30 TheEmissary

Call of Duty can't just assume its going to stay on top without changing to stay relevant. The review scores will matter in the long term maybe not for this game but the next game will suffer as a result. When people start to realize the game hasn't changed or is literally the same as previous versions it will turn some off of the series.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2013, 14:20 TheEmissary

Didn't the overheating rumor surface after some one tried to play the PS4 from inside a airtight plastic enclosure at a convention? Most people forget to mention the error indicator went away when they opened the enclosure up.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
17. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 14:01 TheEmissary

Having to spend $110 to get the complete game isn't what I consider a "Steal" that is paying top dollar. If you wanted to inject value in to the game then provide more content that would have sold for free as patches.  

246 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo