Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Dias

Real Name Michael Dias   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ASeven
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 21, 2010, 22:06
Total Comments 3868 (Veteran)
User ID 55543

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM
12. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:45 ASeven

InBlack wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:43:
Sho wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:39:
FTL is an example of a KS breakout success that's already been released, but I'm guessing you mean big KS games. I think the first one to release is Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse in September (which was a no-brainer for me, big adventure fan and fan of the series, and these guys know what they're doing).

Ahh thanks Sho, I guess Ill have to get around to checking FTL. If I had played that I would probably be aware of that fact.

You haven't played FTL yet? Burn the heretic!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mike Capps Leaves Epic Entirely
3. Re: Mike Capps Leaves Epic Entirely Mar 8, 2013, 09:39 ASeven

Makes me wonder what's going on at Epic when 2 key figures leave so suddenly.  

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 09:38 ASeven

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:34:
It's SimCity. It's a brand name that has the potential to sell millions, though of course it doesn't mean it has.

It's a brand name that hasn't been around in awhile and it's a different market these days. I'll reserve judgment on sales figures for awhile.

Well, so was Diablo. Though in all seriousness there were some ARPGs between D2 and D3 and really nothing like SimCity between SC4 and 5. The Anno series is an economic chain game, it isn't an evolving city game like SC. The only game close to SC that was released in the meantime was CitiesXL but that was a terrible game.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM
4. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:34 ASeven

Quboid wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:33:
Yeah, passing $2 millimetres so quickly is impressive, probably.

Mine is $3 milimiters, it's bigger than yours. Hah hah!

Thanks, I'll be here all day.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 09:31 ASeven

InBlack wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:29:
I wonder what the game is really like though, even those glowing 9.5 reviews are very suspect. My bet is that even if the game was performing 100% as advertised it would still be a buggy mess, with artificial limits on size and terrible AI....

Eurogamer Sweden gave it a 100%, a perfect score, calling it the best game ever made. And people still wonder why nobody thinks gaming journalism is honest anymore.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 09:29 ASeven

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:25:
Why do you assume a lot of people did? Everything we've seen from EA so far with this game doesn't exactly scream competency. For all we know they can barely handle 200,000 copies. I'm not assuming Sims 3 numbers or something.

Anyways I did vote with my wallet and I'm glad I waited.

It's SimCity. It's a brand name that has the potential to sell millions, though of course it doesn't mean it has.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 09:14 ASeven

Gamespot - 5 out of 10.

At this point I have to question why people bought SimCity in the first place because everyone knew this would happen.

Congrats guys, you ensured more games will suffer from this when you voted with your wallet.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 09:07 ASeven

GameSpot just gave this game a 5 out of 10.

This is Gamespot we're talking about. At this point this game is a giant trainwreck.

News Comments > Arma III Trailer
17. Re: Arma III Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 09:06 ASeven

Joss wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 23:35:
Now what would really be interesting is if Dice released a full-on Free SDK for the current Frostbite engine out of spite.

DICE won't do shit if there's no money involved for them.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
2. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 7, 2013, 20:34 ASeven

SImCity's new feature: Take away features! Only $69.99!  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
168. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 7, 2013, 12:34 ASeven

Is it me or is the kickstarer website acting up?  

News Comments > SimCity Adding Servers
31. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 12:24 ASeven

Verno wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 12:18:
NegaDeath wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 12:16:
Update via Kotaku via EA forums.

We are continuing to do everything we can to address the server issues. In the meantime, so that we can give you as good an experience as possible, we are in the process of deploying a hotfix to all servers. This includes various improvements and also disables a few non-critical gameplay features (leaderboards, achievements and region filters). Disabling these features will in no way affect your core gameplay experience.

We will continue to let you know as we have more information. We know it has been said before, but we do appreciate your patience as we complete this latest update. Getting you playing is our absolute highest priority.

Disabling online features so that people can just play the game. That's a new one to me.

There is some hilarious hypocrisy going on there. First the online requirements were due to game design aspects that they consider core to the experience but now it's ok to turn them off because they're secondary? They even listed leaderboards specifically. That is pretty amusing.

Careful Verno, you're EA hating!!11!!!derp!

28. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 12:17 ASeven

On a serious note, Civitas finally posted their first prototype video on their Kickstarter.

Has potential to become something great.

166. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 7, 2013, 12:13 ASeven

On a Kickstarter related theme, check out this project:

http://kck.st/ZK6OR3

2. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 09:18 ASeven

In b4 Slick and RollingThunder post in this thread.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues
116. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 7, 2013, 08:19 ASeven

I see Slick is back at it again.

Also, reviews are becoming more honest on this game.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues
109. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 19:40 ASeven

Best review for SimCity yet.  

128. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 18:54 ASeven

vrok wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:50:
Let's do this! Brohugs to everyone! For Freedom™!

Hush now, some people think we're always negative so we must now make a grumpy face to please them.

127. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 18:51 ASeven

Now, I don't mean in saying that crowdfunding will destroy the classic publishing business model. It'll take a lot more than that. However I think crowdfunding, by its very specific nature, cannot fail in the sense that it cannot ever go away. Individual projects will fail and the model itself still requires a lot of fine tuning but due to the semi-anarchic nature of the model it becomes pretty impossible for it to ever fade away. It's here to stay.

I do believe that Obsidian's Project Eternity must have sent some shivers down some publisher's spines though. That, for me, was the defining moment of crowdfunding in gaming, when an established developer did get quite a lot of funding from random people to make their own game their own way. That signaled to everyone who was watching that big developers don't necessarily need publishers to get games out, not anymore.

This is why I think crowdfunding is a game-changer in business models, because it's opening the door for more innovative models to come through and trounce the classic business models. Much like RIAA and MPAA, the fight of the classic business model has long been lost, they just don't know it yet. Consumers are starting to become aware they have more choices now and are acting upon it, especially in this economic recession climate where the existence of different choices of models and slightly more informed consumers is resulting in less people spending money blindly.

Simply put, crowdfunding removes the middleman. And let's be honest, the middle man never really brought anything to the table that a developer couldn't offer if it got the money directly from the people. And I don't count marketing in this.

3868 Comments. 194 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo