Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zoom

Real Name Zoom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 9, 2010, 09:02
Total Comments 197 (Novice)
User ID 55511

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Shadowrun: Dragonfall
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Shadowrun: Dragonfall Feb 28, 2014, 03:43 Zoom

I was talking about the original campaign. But in any case, the game engine is way too limited. For a real Shadowrun experience, i would have liked free roaming in the city (or a more "live" city, a la Nomad Soul), open-world style, more Johnson's and corporations (and free choice in which side to pick).. This is not completely crazy demands as it has been done before for example, in the aforementioned Fallout.
Disclaimer: i played the tabletop RPG before, hence my desire for a more open-world style. And of course i'm buying that expansion, but that's because i'm a Shadowrun fan.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC to Add 1998 Mode
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 03:06 Zoom

ROFL
That is a huge jab at the dismal "Thief" that's just been out, since Ken L was involved in the original Thief and System Shock 2.
His game mode for Bioshock Inifinite is probably better than the just released "Thief" game Which i find hilarious. He even shows he's better at box art.
Sorry. Have to vent after losing $40 on the new game.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Shadowrun: Dragonfall
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Shadowrun: Dragonfall Feb 27, 2014, 13:22 Zoom

That game could have been so much more... With a richer gameplay (and longer, more open main campaign) it could have been the new Fallout. The Shadowrun universe is holding that game together, and is the only reason one could have an interest in it, otherwise the gameplay is rather primitive in all aspects. That means a lot, with the same universe but a better gameplay, it would have been a new instant cult classic. Missed opportunity here.  

News Comments > Risen 3 Official Announcement
6. Re: Risen 3 Official Announcement Feb 26, 2014, 05:17 Zoom

harlock wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 00:20:
(...)they should try to do something different than elves and dwarves and dragons and knights and orcs and shit for a change
To be fair, Gothic universe (in which Risen plays too, mostly) is devoid of most of these cliches, i grant you there are dragons (Gothic 2) but otherwise the lore and universe is quite nice and original, to a point some people feel uncomfortable ("where are the dwarves and elves ?"). So OK it's still medieval fantasy.
You know what is still under exploited - steampunk. We had Thief, Arcanum, more recently Dishonored (in some ways), but apart from some point & clicks it's still not too crowded. Give us some steampunk RPG

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2014, 14:45 Zoom

@Quinn: the critics are unanimously panning this release, this is not so usual for an AAA title. Original games got much higher praise overall (given that stealth games are not everyone's cup of tea) - they were not consolized either and hard facts are not pleading in favour of the new opus.
I spent about $40 (thanks to Euro prices) and i feel that's money lost. Happens with unknown stuff and i accept it, here with such a name they add insult to injury and i am not amused.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 14:50 Zoom

Interesting that Banished is up there at top spot. This indy game comes from nowhere, it's finished (something rare these days), there was no multi-year hype buildup, and it seems really brilliant (didnt get it yet, but had it on my "watch list").  

News Comments > Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights
24. Re: Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights Feb 23, 2014, 14:46 Zoom

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 14:02:
This is going to be like watching two drunk idiots beat each other up at a bar, when you don't give a shit what the outcome is.
.. and this is even somewhat entertaining. Especially compared to what they produced in the last decade or so. Your statement being so acurate reflects how low these people have fallen.

News Comments > Risen 3 Images Leaked?
13. Re: Risen 3 Images Leaked? Feb 22, 2014, 15:37 Zoom

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 15:07:
Maybe Bound By Flame?
Looks more "Action/Adventure/ with a touch of RPG" like Dark Souls, rather than hardcore-RPG like Gothic/Risen ? Looking good though, i'll certainly get it.

News Comments > Risen 3 Images Leaked?
11. Re: Risen 3 Images Leaked? Feb 22, 2014, 15:04 Zoom

The first Risen was the real Gothic 3 for me too. Gothic 2 was truly great, one of the best RPG out there, left very good memories. Risen had a bit of a similar approach if you wanted to play a mage (with entering a mysterious place with monks and a specific training program..). Story wise i liked it too. The hand crafted island felt quite immersive too and the game was beautiful. Gothic 2 was of course quite epic, Risen was much shorter. They are both quite hardcore in difficulty and lack of hand-holding (which is fantastic for immersion).
I have good hopes for this Risen 3.

News Comments > THIEF Launch Trailer
34. Re: THIEF Launch Trailer Feb 20, 2014, 15:03 Zoom

Task wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 14:28:
I can't be the only one that preferred the original Thief games where the story was told elliptically and discovering the story through observation?
The second one was part story telling part self discovery. Some moments were really unforgettable. One of the top games of all times for me, up there with SS2 and Deus Ex.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - King's Bounty: Warriors of the North - Ice and Fire
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - King's Bounty: Warriors of the North - Ice and Fire Feb 1, 2014, 06:37 Zoom

True, but everytime it's a guilty pleasure. These games are addictive (for people who like the HoM&M-like style, that is). The game music is a good part of that pleasure, too. Indeed, probably the best TBS game series around these days.  

News Comments > Star Swarm Demo
3. Re: Star Swarm Demo Jan 30, 2014, 17:33 Zoom

Tried it a bit, sadly the results are very inconsistent to the point they make no sense at all, even between levels of detail (you can get a higher score on highest setting and a lower one on lower setting.. just pure randomness). Looks like the scene is generated at random, which explains the wild variation.  

News Comments > Thief Previews; Videos
26. Re: Thief Previews; Videos Jan 26, 2014, 07:51 Zoom

@Ray: about challenge. I read something recently about challenge being the defining quality about a game, far ahead of everything else. Of course it's tightly linked to what we call "gameplay" as a bad gameplay in a challenging game is just frustrating. It's a matter of balance. Very challenging games with good gameplay become cult classics. Schoolbook example is Deus Ex which was bloody difficult compared to today's standards. We could cite many examples here, but you get my point - i think we are in a time where producers remove the "challenge" element from their games thinking it's adverse to good sales, which is completely wrong. One only hopes the industry will come around full circle and give us back some really challenging games, and those with good gameplay will become the new cult classics - as of now we are still defining all games against classics of 10-15 years ago, which is not a good sign.  

News Comments > Thief Previews; Videos
25. Re: Thief Previews; Videos Jan 26, 2014, 07:45 Zoom

I for one liked many aspects of Deadly Shadows. Actually even if it didnt feel exactly like the first two iterations of the series (the second one being the best IMHO) it had some really unforgettable moments (pointing at Shalebridge Cradle, here, the fall of the clocktower was also an "OH SH**" moment) which cannot be said of many games. Roaming the streets was nice. I felt immersed in the story, and for this i think it was successful. Thief was always all about immersion. I just hope this new one is still able to do it (removing the consoleitis helps is a first step i guess).  

News Comments > Call of Cthulhu - The Video Game Revealed
11. Re: Call of Cthulhu - The Video Game Revealed Jan 19, 2014, 06:21 Zoom

Focus could suprise us, the french guys can design some quirky but interesting games (think Arkane studios).  

News Comments > Thief System Requirements
37. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 19, 2014, 06:07 Zoom

Jerykk, i am a veteran Thief player (bought the first one, still got the box somewhere) and to be honest i'm between both sides at the moment. I pre-ordered the new game so i'll see how it is by myself, there is too much emotional charge on both sides of the argument.
One thing that you have to remember though, is what made Thief great was its *immersion*. Immersive gameplay was certainly a specialty of Looking Glass, for that they used a lot of small tricks that add up to make the magic happen. Miss one, and suspension of disbelief is broken.
And in these tricks the most important ones were the ambient sounds, audio cues, and yes, voice acting. Everything clicked together just perfectly in a delicate alchemy. Thief was well known for having fantastic audio, with (at the time) revolutionary 3D positioning, echoes and muffling, etc.
This delicate alchemy (along with the story writing and acting) actually made the game what it is, a cult classic, otherwise it would have been quickly forgotten as technically it was sub par.
Add to this an *emergent* gameplay (yes.) that let the player do whatever he wanted to in order to complete the game (within the "stealth only" domain, of course) - i'm not sure any studio today has got this kind of vision that Looking Glass had at the time. They made games without any compromise on gameplay.
Here what i'm worried about, is compromises. Compromising the voice acting, not a good sign. Compromising the basic gameplay elements that defined the series, not a good sign.
At least admit there are elements that justify being worried.

News Comments > New Frictional Game Trailer
7. Re: New Frictional Game Trailer Oct 1, 2013, 14:14 Zoom

Indeed, getting a System Shock feeling there. Frictional can make it: they have the talent and genius. I am highly excited.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Sep 12, 2013, 03:13 Zoom

The new Amnesia is more about the story, less about the same scare tactics employed in the first opus. Why not, after all people would have complained if it was just more of the same.
The story is compelling, well told. It works for me, the themes are good, suprising, thought provoking.
My complaint is it's far too short. I admit the main story doesnt lend itself to much more but how about expanding some side stories, give more depth to that location ? The game production has been given to an indie studio, i hope the main studio is busy preparing something good and more substantial in the mean time.

News Comments > E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC
4. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 15:43 Zoom

Yeah there is definitely no hand holding and the interface is hardcore. Almost like an old school RPG. The gameplay and story are deep and 110% cyberpunk. For whoever loves the genre (and its signature multiple layers of reality and evasive endings) this one is a must have.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 22, 2013, 17:49 Zoom

Nice to see Antichamber there.
Also, Arma series still occupies a spot. How long has this been, i remember seeing Arma II since forever, now Arma III. I could understand for the previous opus that people got it for DayZ, but how about the III, by itself it's a very hardcore, niche game.. i find this interesting.

197 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo