Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zoom

Real Name Zoom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 9, 2010, 09:02
Total Comments 212 (Novice)
User ID 55511

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Carmageddon Countdown
44. Re: Carmageddon Countdown May 23, 2011, 04:11 Zoom

I hope it's at least as good as the first game. That means, having the same features, blood, mindless violence, the splatter bonus, the idiotic transformations, vehicle deformations, wonky but coherent physics that give a feeling to each vehicle...
We'll have the answer soon, if the game is banned in several countries we know it's a success.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gay Character Plans: ME3 Yes, DNF No
65. Re: Gay Character Plans: ME3 Yes, DNF No May 17, 2011, 04:17 Zoom

There was an omnisexual character in DA:Origins, and you could "explore" every option with him. That didnt make any scandal or deter anyone from playing it...  

News Comments > Capsized and Demo Friday
2. Re: Capsized and Demo Friday Apr 26, 2011, 20:43 Zoom

This looks really good. Looking forward to play the demo, and probably buy it. 2D games ftw  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Apr 26, 2011, 20:36 Zoom

The sales numbers of Magicka are stunning.. Very well done for a small indie game.  

News Comments > Get Your Name in BioShock Infinite
8. Re: Get Your Name in BioShock Infinite Apr 11, 2011, 10:45 Zoom

Yeah, i think the second was just milking the name and artwork portfolio. Nothing creative there. Could have been a DLC or even an expansion..  

News Comments > Portal 2 Concept Art
3. Re: Portal 2 Concept Art Apr 11, 2011, 10:41 Zoom

This whole campaign of cryptographic buzz is very amazing. It's even more amazing that they expect their potential customers to actually use their brains, which is against the usual marketing strategies today...

News Comments > Piranha Bytes Getting Gothic Back?
2. Re: Piranha Bytes Getting Gothic Back? Apr 11, 2011, 10:39 Zoom

It will be a lot of work for them to get the series name back to its past shiny status, as they established a promising new series (Risen).  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 11, 2011, 08:47 Zoom

Had some good times on Dungeon Siege in LAN. People screaming for loot and such.. fun and rather intense. Removing multi from it is removing its main appeal.  

6. Re: Get Your Name in BioShock Infinite Apr 11, 2011, 08:11 Zoom

Kajetan wrote on Apr 11, 2011, 05:52:
Bioshock's novelty was mostly based on the Art Deco design, which is rarely used in video games. The gameplay itself was nothing special and already a dumbed down version of former System Shock games. Yes, it was entertaining, but so is a "Transformers" movie, when you dont expect much.
The first one had a reasonably good story, and indeed good art and atmosphere. It was not up to System Shock of course, but still a good game, with even some good gameplay ideas (the little sisters). The same cannot be said of what has come next...

4. Re: Get Your Name in BioShock Infinite Apr 11, 2011, 05:14 Zoom

Funny how a brand name can fall. This name used to mean "awesome". Now it means "subpar crap aimed at mass market". Any hint of news concerning the first game was relayed massively with a lot of hype amongst gamers. Now, no one will pay attention...  

News Comments > Hawken Gameplay Trailer
32. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Apr 1, 2011, 05:40 Zoom

MW2 and MW3 had the best mechwarrior feeling.
This looks like a solid shooter, with good looks and 3 dimensional fights. The models are moving way too fast and too easily (i suspect no torso twist and such) to be any close to a mech sim. Very different kind of games i'd say, although i'm sold on the visuals alone here.

News Comments > Take On Helicopters Announced
19. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Apr 1, 2011, 04:51 Zoom

PHJF wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 13:46:
I remember playing Desert Combat with a purported Marine helo pilot. I was trying to "teach" her to pilot them in the game, which she insisted was more difficult than in reality.
This is quite true, as the sim wont provide you the needed physical feedback that is very important when piloting a real helicopter. The real vehicle will move and sway your body, which makes it a lot more intuitive to pilot.

News Comments > THQ Layoffs
2. Re: THQ Layoffs Apr 1, 2011, 04:42 Zoom

Still 220 working at Volition ? I sure hope at least some are preparing a successor to Freespace ?  

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution
29. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 08:33 Zoom

There is a HUGE difference between having a successor that doesnt meet expectations due to lack of improvement, and a so-called successor that is only "in name" and is actually a dumb shooter for retarded, attention-span-challenged 14y old kids. Not speaking specifically about Deus Ex:HR here, but in general (looking at all former console ports).
To say it in another way, there is a difference in not providing a clearly superior experience to a previous "best of all times" product (which can be expected), and actually REMOVING whole parts of what made the said experience, and wrap it in debatable eye-candy.

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution
25. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 06:03 Zoom

Rockn-Roll wrote:
<(about controls from console ports)>
That's right often controls are foobared, but that's not the main problem for games developed for consoles first.
Consoles have a very limited RAM, and console customers have also a very limited intellect.
This leads to several major problems.
First, due to hardware limitations, the game world has to get a lot smaller, translated by either a major loss of detail in 3D models, or smaller "maps" with loading times in between and a break of continuity, which disrupts the immersion and experience of the game.
Counter example is Risen where you can go just anywhere without any break. Of course textures also get a hit, and model animations too.
Also due to reduced complexity, the "open gameplay" designs are out. This means streamlined, or "on rails" game play. Counter example was the first Deus Ex, Gothic 1/2 or Thief series. Perfect examples of "on rails" are CoD, Gears of War, Gothic 4 ("Arcania") etc..
And then there is the impact of target customer base. The average 14y old boy that is the usual target has a diminishing level of intellect, and anything requiring his neurons to fire up is out. Expect a lot of hand-holding, very obvious scenario clues, even repeating stuff in case you didnt understand. Forget all kind of deeper stuff requiring the customer to actually think.
Since the console gamer has also a short attention span, anything requiring more concentration and slower gameplay (typically stealth gameplay ala Thief and such) is out. The action->reward schema has to be immediate. Forget any long term consequences of your gameplay actions.
This is so far, all console ports. Note that i have nothing against many console / arcade games (actually i like a lot of them, i enjoy Street Fighter 4 for instance) but they ARE NOT good design canditates for a proper Deus Ex follow-up.

News Comments > Doug Church Joins Valve
7. Re: Doug Church Joins Valve Mar 17, 2011, 04:51 Zoom

It's still a nice move from Valve, although i wonder what kind of project he will be affected to, or if he will be given his own ...  

News Comments > E.Y.E Delayed, Soundtrack Released
5. Re: E.Y.E Delayed, Soundtrack Released Mar 16, 2011, 05:49 Zoom

Cybermancy, dark future, that reminds of Shadowrun. Maybe this is the Shadowrun computer game we (as in all fans of SR) have been waiting for ? This may even trump the new Deus Ex...

PS: this is a french studio, and "Streum" is a special slang (called "verlan", based on reversing words) that means "monster". Funny reference.

News Comments > Dawn of War II Voiceover Trailer
2. Re: Dawn of War II Voiceover Trailer Mar 15, 2011, 10:12 Zoom

Blue, little typo in the bold title "characters in Warhammer 40000 Dawn *if* war II"  

News Comments > Steam User Loses Almost $1800 in Games Due to Ban [Updated]
44. Re: Steam User Loses Almost $1800 in Games Due to Ban [Updated] Mar 15, 2011, 08:24 Zoom

Cant you resell your steam games for like $10 ? if i remember there is a steam-specific mechanism for that...  

News Comments > The Return of Lord British
9. Re: The Return of Lord British Mar 15, 2011, 04:47 Zoom

I guess he had taxes to pay or something. Oh look, yet another social casual "game". Raise funds, spend a fraction of them in yet another horrid piece of crap mobile app game thing, cash in what is left and pay the due taxes or whatever investment failed for him to compromise his name that way.  

212 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo