Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zoom

Real Name Zoom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 9, 2010, 09:02
Total Comments 198 (Novice)
User ID 55511

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution
25. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 06:03 Zoom

Rockn-Roll wrote:
<(about controls from console ports)>
That's right often controls are foobared, but that's not the main problem for games developed for consoles first.
Consoles have a very limited RAM, and console customers have also a very limited intellect.
This leads to several major problems.
First, due to hardware limitations, the game world has to get a lot smaller, translated by either a major loss of detail in 3D models, or smaller "maps" with loading times in between and a break of continuity, which disrupts the immersion and experience of the game.
Counter example is Risen where you can go just anywhere without any break. Of course textures also get a hit, and model animations too.
Also due to reduced complexity, the "open gameplay" designs are out. This means streamlined, or "on rails" game play. Counter example was the first Deus Ex, Gothic 1/2 or Thief series. Perfect examples of "on rails" are CoD, Gears of War, Gothic 4 ("Arcania") etc..
And then there is the impact of target customer base. The average 14y old boy that is the usual target has a diminishing level of intellect, and anything requiring his neurons to fire up is out. Expect a lot of hand-holding, very obvious scenario clues, even repeating stuff in case you didnt understand. Forget all kind of deeper stuff requiring the customer to actually think.
Since the console gamer has also a short attention span, anything requiring more concentration and slower gameplay (typically stealth gameplay ala Thief and such) is out. The action->reward schema has to be immediate. Forget any long term consequences of your gameplay actions.
This is so far, all console ports. Note that i have nothing against many console / arcade games (actually i like a lot of them, i enjoy Street Fighter 4 for instance) but they ARE NOT good design canditates for a proper Deus Ex follow-up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Doug Church Joins Valve
7. Re: Doug Church Joins Valve Mar 17, 2011, 04:51 Zoom

It's still a nice move from Valve, although i wonder what kind of project he will be affected to, or if he will be given his own ...  

News Comments > E.Y.E Delayed, Soundtrack Released
5. Re: E.Y.E Delayed, Soundtrack Released Mar 16, 2011, 05:49 Zoom

Cybermancy, dark future, that reminds of Shadowrun. Maybe this is the Shadowrun computer game we (as in all fans of SR) have been waiting for ? This may even trump the new Deus Ex...

PS: this is a french studio, and "Streum" is a special slang (called "verlan", based on reversing words) that means "monster". Funny reference.

News Comments > Dawn of War II Voiceover Trailer
2. Re: Dawn of War II Voiceover Trailer Mar 15, 2011, 10:12 Zoom

Blue, little typo in the bold title "characters in Warhammer 40000 Dawn *if* war II"  

News Comments > Steam User Loses Almost $1800 in Games Due to Ban [Updated]
44. Re: Steam User Loses Almost $1800 in Games Due to Ban [Updated] Mar 15, 2011, 08:24 Zoom

Cant you resell your steam games for like $10 ? if i remember there is a steam-specific mechanism for that...  

News Comments > The Return of Lord British
9. Re: The Return of Lord British Mar 15, 2011, 04:47 Zoom

I guess he had taxes to pay or something. Oh look, yet another social casual "game". Raise funds, spend a fraction of them in yet another horrid piece of crap mobile app game thing, cash in what is left and pay the due taxes or whatever investment failed for him to compromise his name that way.  

News Comments > EA ♥s Fox News
15. Re: EA &#9829;s Fox News Mar 15, 2011, 04:46 Zoom

(nvm wrong newspost i need coffee)  

News Comments > Dragon Age II Beta Patch
86. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 14, 2011, 08:49 Zoom

Overon wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 06:59:
There is still hope. There is Witcher 2. Though it won't be much like Baldur's gate but hopefully will be PC centric.
I wouldnt put it in the same bag. While i love Witcher and its story (and definitely getting the 2nd), it's more of a hack and slash for me than a proper CRPG. I wouldnt compare it to Gothic, Risen or TES...

News Comments > Dragon Age II Beta Patch
79. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 14, 2011, 05:42 Zoom

I dont see the need to fight over this abortion of a game.
Just dont buy it, ignore it, and see what Risen 2 / TES 5 have to offer instead...

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever ShakyCam Video
8. Re: Duke Nukem Forever ShakyCam Video Mar 14, 2011, 05:36 Zoom

Jerykk wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 02:13:
Duke 3D was crass and immature as well.
But it had good looks, sexy sunglasses and blonde crew cut.
I sincerely hope that i can still give cash to pole dancers so they can "shake it, baby".

News Comments > Dragon Age II Launch Trailer
45. Re: Dragon Age 2 Launch Trailer Mar 11, 2011, 10:10 Zoom

I'll pass on that one and reinstall Temple of Elemental Evil.  

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes 6 Diary, Preorders
5. Re: Might & Magic Heroes 6 Diary, Preorders Mar 11, 2011, 10:00 Zoom

Cutter wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 01:06:
This series has always been a close second to the Diablo IP for crack-like addiction for me. Just one more turn...
King Bounty has been a quite decent filler for that kind of addiction i might say, especially the Armored Princess sequel. One more turn, one more fight... oops it's 5AM !

News Comments > EA: PC Gaming May Become Their "Biggest Platform"
15. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 11:47 Zoom

"it will become"
-> WHAT ? Where is that guy from, is he real ? Does he even understand what made EA at all ?

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Release Details This Week
27. Re: Deus Ex: Human Release Details This Week Mar 8, 2011, 08:59 Zoom

Emergent gameplay is gaming situations that arise from a basic set of rules, which are not coded per se by the game developers. This usually shows in "sandbox" type games, but Looking Glass have been known to do the best emergent gameplay systems. They even developed their game engines with that goal in mind - it was called the "immersion engine".
Idea is based on "emergent behaviour" which shows up in a multi agent system, made of very simple agents, that together show a behaviour that is more than the sum of their parts. Emergent gameplay is this, put a non restrictive set of rules that when added up become a gameplay style that was not coded into the basic behaviour of the game.

News Comments > Quote of the Day II
10. Re: Quote of the Day II Mar 3, 2011, 08:00 Zoom

A common Microsoft technique is repeating the same lies nonstop until they become heard so much they start to sound like truth.  

News Comments > Alice: Madness Returns in June
7. Re: Alice: Madness Returns in June Mar 3, 2011, 07:56 Zoom

PacoTaco wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 06:41:
I don't expect it to compete against world class products (like id's RaGE) it just needs to be interesting, tuned well, and have something new that we haven't seen before in gaming.
To be honest the first Alice did compare favorably to "world class" products such as Id games of the same time. Maybe it didnt have top-of-the-class graphics but it really had an interesting setting, tons of atmosphere, some crazy weirdness and very creepy mood tone that made it a lot better than the above mentioned "world class" stuff.

News Comments > Magicka: Vietnam Announced
31. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 2, 2011, 05:14 Zoom

This is good stuff. I want some. It's not yet insane creative stuff ala Bullfrog (some of the best games ever) but it's a nice try. Next, Magicka: Duty of Honor, with a WW2 setting ?  

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Music Samples
7. Re: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Music Samples Feb 28, 2011, 05:46 Zoom

This game makes no sense in SP anyway... big 50 player maps and combined arms (tanks, AV's, foot soldiers) is what it's all about.  

News Comments > Thief 4 Image
13. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 11:40 Zoom

MajorD wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 10:59:
Thief 1 and Thief 2 were/are great games, but Thief Deadly Shadows (TDS) was a HUGE disappointment that strayed way too much from what made the original two so great. I tried playing TDS three different times, but it never could hold my interest to finish it.
You missed one of the most awesome and frightening video game missions of all times, Shalebridge Cradle... I admit TDS has its lows and highs, but the highs are very memorable. Thief 2 was the high point of the series though, with the most intense moments, and one of best end parts ever made too.

News Comments > Thief 4 Image
5. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 10:25 Zoom

I think i wet my pants reading the news title. Let it meet all expectations and be AT LEAST as good as previous installments of the series, because so far it's a cult for a good reason.  

198 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo