Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 271 (Amateur)
User ID 55500

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Fighter Squadron Teaser
9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Fighter Squadron Teaser Aug 3, 2015, 22:51 NetHead

Task wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 20:17:
I fear a future X-Wing or TIE fighter by EA. Just imagine it - energy management would be made less important, and your ship would regenerate health.

Are you kidding, energy management would be critical, and they would charge you for it like fuel.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Trailer
2. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Trailer Aug 3, 2015, 22:50 NetHead

lol, just lol.

All I will bother saying is, how I don't like well known actors being in games. They're not needed and don't do anything but jack up the cost in an insane way compared to any benefit, to the game.

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Aug 2, 2015, 23:56 NetHead

Squirmer wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 19:18:
harlock wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 14:59:
story going around was that it got changed big time some point during development, im assuming to make it more "appealing" or whatever
It had a lot of developer turnover. I think it had like 3 different project leads at various times, so it's just a mess of ideas with no coherence.

I also remember it going something like that, I don't remember the reasons for each time but it was a complete mess. Perhaps the worst part is the people who finally finished making it were the worst that could have made it.

They knew and cared nothing about the franchise and hired people for their little clique more than anything else.

This thing had a very public "train-smash" sign on it long before its release and still ended up a complete wreck.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2015, 12:37 NetHead

Regardless of the validity of AMD's argument/complaint, reading the following as the start to it all...

AMD’s gaming scientist Richard Huddy...

I can't help cringing, I'm sorry it's embarrassing, it's stupid, it's up there with "The Chairman", hell it might even be worse.

"gaming scientist" lol

"gaming scientist" hahaha

"gaming scientist" wtf

Point there being, no it's not getting any less ridiculous the more you hear/read it.

edit,,

Though if you ever did look into that Crysis 2 tessellation nonsense, it is a great example of Nvidia getting things done to screw a competitor. Basically at the time NV had put a lot of eggs into tessellation performance on their hardware so that's where they shined. It's also not the only example of a game with some tie to Nvidia during that period suddenly tessellating the hell out of flat objects or even things which aren't visible.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2015, 12:43.

News Comments > Worms WMD Revealed
4. Re: Worms WMD Revealed Jul 31, 2015, 11:57 NetHead

harlock wrote on Jul 31, 2015, 10:32:
used to love playing this in hotseat mode

That used to be insanely fun. Bunch of us doing that many times switching seats and killing eachother.

Also customised every single weapon to be deadly but all still balanced to eachother. That was perhaps one of the best things about the game how you could customise all the weapons with such detail, even things like weapon drops.

Had also made teams of worms, with very serious and sensible names such as "The Dickheads" who had "members" such as "Woody", "Hardon", "Limpy", "ED" and of course their leader "Dickhead" himself.

The game by default was fun, but once customised in every detail you want it became a whole new kind of chaotic fun.

Haven't at all been impressed by the newer ones, I haven't checked them all, it's hard to even keep track with releases and re-releases, but each one I did try seemed like they didn't know what made the game good, for me anyway and the 3D worms nonsense, just don't even bother pirating that junk.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 29, 2015, 22:40 NetHead

Bill Borre wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 20:42:
I'll always love Peter for Magic Carpet. That game was awesome.

Populous
Syndicate
Theme Park
Magic Carpet
Black & White

and

Dungeon Keeper

A bunch of other stuff also but to be so involved in those games is really impressive. In a way it's sad how it became all talk and no delivery, though even if he had delivered on the hype on some of his more recent games I wouldn't have thought to much of them.

Don't know what changed, Fame? Wanting to one up the previous thing? No one to hold him back in reality?...

While I wouldn't trust a single word he said about an up-coming game, I would say games are better off with titles like those not just because of the memories for those who played them in the day, but on the whole for gaming.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 29, 2015, 17:15 NetHead

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 10:13:

What would it take from MS to show that they give a crap about PC Gaming? DX12 is, from all early accounts, a massive step forward. Why does everyone ignore that?

Maybe because,,

A) They use DirectX as a stick as much as a carrot, infact much more, most of the times it's a carrot it's a stick in disguise. (Want game X, buy new Windows. Want fancy feature X buy new Windows, even though other APIs accomplish the same without requiring yet another Windows purchase)

B) It wasn't needed, if they didn't make those improvements more and more developers would have moved to API's which do/have already, undermining it as a stick meaning Microsoft had to react lest they loose the ability to use it as a stick.

Microsoft , finally , does something as a self serving reaction rather than innovation, something which is already being done by others without any M$ requirements yet you think it's an example of Microsoft pushing PC gaming forwards.

Remember Microsoft does not push, help or support PC gaming, they hate PC gaming, they do at least care about "Windows" gaming though. Why is obvious, tying crap into new versions of Windows.

If Microsoft went completely hands off with PC/Windows gaming it would have done us all a favour. Sure things like OpenGL documentation sucks in comparison but if devs weren't getting sucked into a Microsoft benefiting ecosystem, all those benefits like documentation would have been there even if they had to make and release it themselves.

Microsoft has long been pulling a closed walled garden using DirecX and other things (like Office and dev side in general) without people noticing, meanwhile those same people probably bemoan Apple and their walled garden. It's like they don't even notice they're following developers into a different garden.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 29, 2015, 16:35 NetHead

ViRGE wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 22:12:
...Pay up with what? They failed because they used up all of their funds attempting to deliver the product int he first place.

Or did something fail because they run to the hills with the money, bought a new car, spent it on hookers and blow, or to live in some posh hotel.

If they spent the money on things other than the project and the project failed there needs to be consequences. If they then can't repay that money they can work it off in one of those privatised Zippo factories with free meals along with other frauds that got caught.

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
3. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 26, 2015, 14:28 NetHead

The thing is, id Software, is dead. It is now for better and/or worse, Bethesda.

Going on their past games and saying, they wouldn't be able to write their way out of a wet paper bag, doesn't apply because again, id is gone, it's just a name over a door or on a box now.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 23, 2015, 23:39 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 19:30:
And they wonder why we want to block ads, scripts, cookies, etc.

Ha, they'd probably scratch their head thinking "but they can't even see the ads, why would they care.". Showing how little understanding they have of the issues beyond people not liking distracting annoying flashing ads.

News Comments > Bethesda.net Launches
8. Re: Bethesda.net Launches Jul 23, 2015, 23:24 NetHead

and beyond that will offer facilities for map sharing and other relevant features

Hell I hope no-one falls for this crap and hosts their user content there. Bethesda would love to control user made content, especially after the reaction to their failed attempt to undeservedly get paid for users making content while improving their games for them.

Bethesda is a very questionable and unpleasant company from many sides and you can bet the shirt on your back they are not doing something like this to benefit any "community".

Even excluding the fact that this is Bethesda, you do not want the company making the games being in control or even being the main or important or significant host for user content of those games. Such sites historically don't last meaning a bunch of stuff could vanish when it closes and don't forget they then have motive and means to take such sites offline or otherwise hampering them in an attempt to move the community over to the sequel, à la EA and their online servers for games.

You don't want companies having that control or influence, especially certain companies.

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Plans
7. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Plans Jul 23, 2015, 22:49 NetHead

jomisab wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 18:57:
And that it will likely be a Windows 10 exclusive for PC?

Only way anyone will do that is if it's either Microsoft owned, or being payed by Microsoft to do it.

It would be yet another example of Microsoft showing how much it cares about PC gaming...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 12:04 NetHead

Darks wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 10:38:
Blues is probably siting here tapping his fingers on his desk because he may have some popups that are helping him generate cash. Sorry Blues, not intended to screw you over if that's the case. but as the other guys are saying we have gotten to a point where its just gotten out of hand with all the pops and spam that is causing to many issues.

I don't know what kind of visits/page views etc that Blues gets, but I like think it's pretty decent, something that can drive traffic to a location.

If Blue's had an ad or two, like one on the top and one to the side I'd click it at least once per visit, probably a lot more (and probably click a link or two at the destination, to not seem like a clickbot and to feign interest), even if it was something I know I don't want. A Call of Duty ad on the top? I'm not interested but I'd click the sucker, new Star Citizen ship sale, lol, would even click that. Even added Blues to my list of sites not to block the referer from (blocked by default), so other places can know "we got a visit thanks to some place called Bluesnews.

So it's not that I won't jump through hoops for sites I like. I click 1-2 ads for each search I run on certain sites.

Though what I wont do is enable third party scripts, that's my line in the sane and not going to happen because I don't trust them, and which is why even with adblocking disabled here I only see an empty spot at the top where I presume an ad with scripts should be.

Nothing to do with Blues or any other site I like. Moments ago I checked and saw one about Facebook scripts, I don't care what "functionality" that provides never going to happen (it's on my blacklist) others like google scripts (biggest ad agency on the planet, don't even allow google scripts if checking gmail, also can't stand their GUI with them) not going to happen for me. Then there's an ad network www.switchadhub.com , the kind of thing that's a great target for someone wanting to sneak some malware into one place to reach many people and the kind of thing that tries to track you beyond just the one site.

Otherwise I/'d gladly click ads here and elsewhere. You get those, or some non obtrusive/non flashing/nonFlash, ads up without third party scripts I'll click those suckers all the time, would have given the one to the right a midle-click jab right now before clicking "Post" lol.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2015, 12:31 NetHead

Frags4Fun wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:40:
/target eBay
/facepalm

I don't know, I have mixed feelings about it. At first I'm tempted to say that information should only be given to the winning bidder, though then again it's nothing new for customers to know such details about shops or wherever they purchase things from.

Could even see argument for such information being available before bidding, so one could make sure the location is real, maybe checking online to make sure it's at least not an empty lot.

I'm very pro, right to privacy, but something like ebay is not exactly a private medium so sell things, infact the whole point is to get public/mass or hopefully as much exposure as possible. Expecting privacy such as Name, Location, PhoneNumber in that situation seems like something of an oxymoron.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2015, 00:13 NetHead

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 19:03:
DrSquick wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 15:42:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 14:14:
Apple To Axe Major Component In iPhone 7.

The walled garden?

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

SIM cards if anyone wants to avoid the click bait title. It will be a hard wired internal SIM card so you can't change carriers.

"This would allow users to easily change carrier, without going through the rigmarole of switching-out sim cards and potentially having to unlock the device."

Just once I'd love to hear out an Apple naysayer that actually has some factually true and compelling to say.

Your quote is complete and utter garbage, it's almost shocking how no-one sees it for what it's worth which is bullshit. If it is so easy thanks to not being able to remove the SIM, how is it any easier than simply not removing a SIM that one can remove, but choose not to?

On the other hand, there can be delays in number porting (changing provider), or how this could interfere with roaming in that you might not be able to change to a provider in some other country and end up instead having to pay those excessive roaming charges.

Oh please, if this stuff is all so great without having to remove the SIM card how come so many people do it in so many circumstances where *shocker* they have the "feature" of not having to remove the SIM always available to them. Also it's no more complicated than changing the battery. There is no benefit to locking it into the phone, for the customer.

You know who this crap does benefit though, providers, the companies who charge those insane roaming costs, the ones who don't want to switching to another provider by simply getting a new SIM and slotting it in. The kind of companies that famously try and lock you into their shitty service will now be in control of your phone being ported over to a competitor.

Make no mistake there is 1 (ONE) and only one positive for customers in this, and that is that the chance of being able to disable the phone once stolen is better, though still not 100%. Considering the negatives that come with being able to disable a phone that you already no longer have...

lol.

Only zealot fanboys would not be able to see through such statements before getting to the end of it.

For heavens sake, just look at the last part of it "(avoid) potentially having to unlock the device" why do people have to "unlock" devices, because providers try to lock people to their service/network. This is only making it more locked down. Homer Simpson could not face palm hard enough right now.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC
33. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC Jul 19, 2015, 23:49 NetHead

Rossini wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 17:23:

It sounds like the studio really are keeping things moving. But, I've barely got the hero past the arena bit in Witcher 2 before getting really bored, is Witcher 3 any better?

By arena you mean the tutorial thing, which starts at a small boat? That starting area/tutorial can take as little as 10 minutes or so and it's pretty much always teaching you something, if you're getting bored and quitting there I have no idea what to say really.

Normally to anyone who gave up on the game early I would suggest they try to make it to Flotsam, do some quests and explore the forest a bit before deciding to give up on the game. Though if you're getting "really bored" in the tutorial thing it sounds like you wouldn't at all like any of the Witcher games.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 19, 2015, 15:59 NetHead

El Pit wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 11:47:
SlimRam wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 15:58:
If you can stream a game from Xbone to the PC i'm guessing that you still have to use the controller for the Xbone to play the game then, right? No mouse and keyboard?

VERY GOOD QUESTION! If Microsoft would make games playble with kb/m via streaming, even I (a notorious console hater) might become interested in buying an xbone. So, Microsoft, what's it gonna be? KB/M support?

The game/s itself would have to be developed with that in mind, basically the console version would have to be released with both console and PC control schemes and GUIs and switch between them as needed.

The only alternative to that would be M$ gluing on keyboard/mouse support, something like an API converting keyboard and mouse input into gamepad inputs. "Press X to perform action" GUI prompt will not mean the "x" on the keyboard etc. Also can you just imagine how crap converting mouse movement into analogue movement would be, I'm not saying that's impossible but the chance of them doing that and it ending up even "okay" is slim to none.

I wouldn't be surprised if the best case scenario here is they let you use a XBone controller (and only a XBone controller) attached to the PC, I wouldn't even be surprised if they "accidentally" screw up emulation programs that makes other controllers work as if they were a XBone controller.

News Comments > TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking
30. Re: TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking Jul 17, 2015, 17:13 NetHead

harlock wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 11:50:
Linksil wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 11:04:
I don't remember the exact numbers. But it's around 30 the eye's see at.

wrong, just wrong

It's so strange and a bit funny that so many people think "the human eye can only see at a set frames per second limit". I find it really odd that so many people regurgitate that info, particularly the 30FPS number. Do so many really just go "oh I read it somewhere, must be true, no need to even look into it".

It's no even as if the information isn't out there or that it's hard to find, you can find both public research and even military testing results which debunk this nonsense so severely. You don't even have to get into how not all people are the same.

For anyone who believes such "old wives tales", here's your first hint, eyes don't see in frames per second, nor does the brain interpret it that way.

ninja edit,,,,
ForgedReality wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 12:36:
Fucking idiots who think biological sensors utilize anything close to resembling a "frame rate" do not belong in any kind of discussion whatsoever, related or not. You lack the grey matter to participate.

Thank you, lol, you put that so nicely.

News Comments > Brothers In Arms Rearming
10. Re: Brothers In Arms Rearming Jul 17, 2015, 13:00 NetHead

nin wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 09:13:
Who will they blame for it's failure?

You're kidding, right?

Randy Pitchford wrote on Jul 15, 2015,:
“You may know us from such quality games as...Aliens Colonial Marines”

Blame someone for their failure? That would be admitting some kind of failure, everything they crap out is pure gold.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 17, 2015, 09:30 NetHead

shihonage wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 04:17:
"Feature creep bloat" Isn't that like ....

I wouldn't say feature creep and bloat are the same thing, as feature creep is just things being added for better or worse and possibly delaying a release, whereas bloat is more often considered to be unwanted or unneeded.

Say you want software to burn DVDs, you can get that with a wide range of features all in a 5MB installer, though you also get things which used to be like that but then bloated up into 500MB and then even bigger.

So feature creep could be adding either good or bad features, but bloat has purely bad connotations.

271 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo