Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 297 (Amateur)
User ID 55500
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition Released
8. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition Released Oct 6, 2015, 22:28 NetHead
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 20:58:
...Many EA games are still on Steam....

Are you sure they're actually EA games, as in games made by studios owned by EA, as opposed to games where EA was just the publisher.

Personally I don't know or care enough to check, but it would be understandable that as a publisher if a studio wanted to have their product on other platforms EA may as well go with it and get something rather than nothing as the studio may go with a different publisher.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2015, 14:12 NetHead

Sounds like adding support for DRM into PC hardware.

Also what's stopping malicious software taking advantage of this, such as a seemingly benign program generating malicious code in this encrypted "enclave", be it "hackers", spyware ad agencies or authorities.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
17. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 6, 2015, 12:27 NetHead
Cutter wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 10:00:
Hot damn! Can not wait for 2077! It's going to be tits!

I have high hopes for it, thought I don't know all that much about it.

Though will say I'm not thrilled by "Cyberpunk 2077 is far, far bigger than The Witcher 3". Maybe it's only because I was expecting or hoping for something more focused, putting more of the resources into attention to detail rather than size. Perhaps somewhat Deus Ex like, rather than Skyrim Witcher, let alone something supposedly "far, far" bigger.
News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans
17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 6, 2015, 11:59 NetHead
Dagnamit wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 10:27:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 10:08:
Wait, so their stated minimum proc is a Skylake processor? Really?

...or equivalent. So really any i3 from the last 4-5 years will perform adequately.

Perhaps is hasn't occurred to some that Intel can and does use such "System Requirements" as marketing, especially with big studios.

Keith wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 11:09:
....Odd that previous posters would bitch about EA releasing req system specs...

What, wtf. Where do you see this. Where have you ever seen this. I have never, anywhere, seen anyone, complain about someone releasing/detailing system requirements for something.

Oh and as for EA, I have one more thing on the list of things they can shove up their anus
News Comments > Microsoft Acquires Havoc
3. Re: Microsoft Acquires Havoc Oct 2, 2015, 19:32 NetHead

Oh freaking great.

Get ready for more of Microsoft going on about supporting PC gaming while they start to keep more and more game related tech exclusive to their latest OS.

Havok in hardware mode? Sorry available only in DXNext. DXNext? Sorry only available in new OS....

Really wish the big publishers/developers would all get behind an open source physics engine, maybe Bullet or whatever, and all contribute to it so they could all in turn use and benefit from it along with gaming on the whole, which in turn would again benefit them.
18. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 1, 2015, 13:54 NetHead
Personally I hardly ever like known actors especially "top-level movie cast" in games, even if it's just voice acting. It also only gets worse when they use the actors face ingame.

Very few people, even fewer actors, are good enough to voice different characters in a number of games without still sounding recognisable. I don't want games to end up like movies where known faces/voices pop up all over the place. I don't want to recognise Garret from Thief as a character from Call of Duty etc.

Nevermind the insane price that comes with self important actors.

For example how recently they want more money if a game does well and even want to strike for it. What a crock of bull. What puts their short and easy work so much above others that have worked longer and harder on that same project who don't get such benefits while also being far more critical to a game being good or a success.

News Comments > U.K. Digital Refund Law
8. Re: U.K. Digital Refund Law Oct 1, 2015, 13:24 NetHead
Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 12:22:
As for the complete game/get refund conundrum, that's very simple. Make sure your game can't be finished in under five hours.

I don't think something like that is a good or sensible thing to try. It would effect and limit the design of some games, those that fall short of time X would have to be redesigned with the most likely outcome being added "grind", un-skippable videos/cut-scenes, general time consuming "filler" etc.

Some games are short and well worth their asking price while some are very long and a waste of time and money. It's also not hard to imagine people holding out on a game hoping for a patch/mod/solution to their problem for far more than "hours" of play until finally giving up out of frustration or rage due to no patch or solution. Should someone who has spent more than "time X" trying to fix it no longer be eligible for a refund because they tried really thoroughly to fix or put up with something.

Any king of useful and working refund system or policy would require more than a one liner.

Also what of a forced update that breaks a game, or anything that later renders the game a lesser product, an unworkable product or something the consumer is justifiably not satisfied with. For example when a game has some or all of its soundtrack removed for whatever reason, it is no longer what was purchased or advertised, shouldn't that entitle people to a refund as it's no longer what they originally purchased.

Why should there be a different attitude from what's acceptable for physical products, imagine purchasing a physical product which later had features or properties that you liked removed/disabled. Software gets far more leeway than it deserves.
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 30, 2015, 17:32 NetHead
The WinRAR security flaw amounts to nothing more than click-bait. It only works with SFX archives, which are executables and requires the user to run it.

So it's completely pointless, even more pointless is going on about an alternative due to this.
News Comments > Need for Speed PC Needs More Time
7. Re: Need for Speed PC Needs More Time Sep 14, 2015, 15:34 NetHead
SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 14, 2015, 15:26:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 14, 2015, 15:21:
Never in the history of gaming has mixing live action footage with a game been a worth while experience.

I disagree, C&C and Wing Commander games were awesome with the live action footage.

Absolutely with C&C, also the old Carmaggeddon had lave action portraits which added a lot of entertainment. Still that being said it's rare that live action in games is a good thing.
News Comments > Need for Speed PC Needs More Time
6. Re: Need for Speed PC Needs More Time Sep 14, 2015, 15:28 NetHead
Likely it's only thanks to the EU basically forcing Valve to offer some kind of refund policy which in turn pushes something like EA to have a better minimum as to what is acceptable with their games for fear of a refund backlash.

As for "Need for Speed" I really couldn't care less, these things have gone into being a cheap TV drama series then some kind of boy racer e-penis crap to whatever else they've more recently tried. My interest would probably be more peeked by a NFS game if they handed it out to a random unknown indie studio.

Or to hell with it entirely, some indie or someone should just make a new RACING game (yes RACING unfortunately needs to be capitalised) along the lines of Porche Unleashed which was the last good NFS game.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2015, 13:02 NetHead
Kosumo wrote on Sep 14, 2015, 04:58:
I hear what you are saying and agree somewhat. But if drug and medical care is so important why not get drug R&D done by governments or with government grants so that there is no profit motive invoiled.

I know, sound a bit commie but in some cases the good of the whole is more important than the greed of a few.

I've long thought health/drug research is something the U.N could actually do successfully. Even if it was something as simple as all members giving a small percentage of their GPD to be put towards such research, it might even be able to become self sustaining for the most part without going after maximum profits (which has obvious problems, especially with healthcare).

The way the industry currently works is really disgusting, designing drugs strictly for wealthy countries and then trying to prevent cheap versions being made and sold in poor countries is just the tip of the nonsense and suffering (hello TPP).

Something may sound a bit "commie", you say that as if it's a bad thing, as if there may be a Red under your bed or falling for propaganda such as "Better dead than Red". There is no more wrong with "commie" than capitalism, they both have pros and cons, one may even be able to argue in a better world we'd be better off with communism. As usual a balance would be best.
News Comments > First Wonder Trailer
6. Re: First Wonder Trailer Sep 11, 2015, 21:42 NetHead
a spiritual successor to MDK and Giants

What a crock of shit, you can not have a single game that is simultaneously a successor to both those games, spiritual or otherwise.

MDK and Giants were and are both great games, no doubt about it, though you'd think their designer (or rather 1 of 3 designers but we're apparently ignoring that) more than anyone would know the stupidity of claiming to make a game that's a successor to both. Nevermind even going into detail about those two games, just looking at a screenshot of each would make a single spiritual successor to both seem nonsensical.

Also that video claims Nick Bruty was also designer for "Armed and Dangerous" and "Earthworm Jim", I haven't seen anything about that but can find things that at least suggest or outright state otherwise.

A (good) sequel or successor to either MDK or Giants would be amazing, though a mishmash of the two, give me a break, and spare my time with the name dropping crap. At least what's shown in the video is a saving grace in that it's clearly based on Giants and not a mix of that and MDK.
News Comments > "Do or Die" for Frozenbyte
10. Re: Aug 27, 2015, 17:45 NetHead
Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 11:20:
If they had stated the truth from the outset - instead of allowing people to infer... - and adjusted the price for a much smaller game all would be well. This is a problem of their own making.

They've been caught with their pants down.

They did build up a deserved fanbase with the previous games, can't say anything bad about the games or how they handled them.

Just like I can't help but see what they're doing now as taking a shit on that fanbase. They've been caught stealing from the cookie jar like a monkey with its hand stuck because it won't let go.

Trying to charge double the price of Trine 2 (yet more than Trine 1) with Trine 3, while hiding it by splitting the game up into two parts, while also saying they didn't intend on the game being short. Really, let that nonsense sink in.

It would have been a shitty thing to do even if they hadn't drastically changed the game itself, something which inevitably alienates more fans that it creates.

This it the kind of drastic change you would expect if the developer was bought by something like EA, since that didn't happen it's odd to see a up till then successful and praised dev pull something like that, maybe someone let to much manure goto their head.
News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
32. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 26, 2015, 20:18 NetHead
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 11:25:
LurkerLito wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 11:01:
Larian has my support since they have actually successfully finished and delivered a good game that was done with a kickstarter.

A minor correction here: The first game was about 80% done when they went to Kickstarter for an "additional layer of polish".
Let's face it. They basically took advantage of the momentum back then. Kickstarter was very popular and Pillars and Torment paved the way right before them.
Would Divinity Original Sin really have been a much different game w/o the Kickstarter funds? Will Divinity Original Sin 2 really become a much different game depending on the outcome of the KS?

Seems very doubtful to me. I have no problem with them going for a because-we-can cash grab and the additional money might help a little here and there (e.g. marketing budget) but the actual *fate* of both games never depended on Kickstarter. Larian is strong and big enough to self-fund and self-publish.

I seem to remember reading something about how they had bet everything on the game, pretty much down to the kitchen sink, to the point where if it wasn't a success the studio would have ceased to exist and had heavily overworked themselves on it (partly due to the kickstarter). Presuming I'm remembering that correctly them going to kickstarter with D:OS, even if it was as you say at 80% completion, it doesn't seem so much a money-grab as "lets get more funding for more dev time in the hopes of lowering the chances of us going down the drain".

Also I've always gotten the impression they have been very receptive to and interactive with their community/kickstarter backers for D:OS, which in itself had an effect on the game, both that feedback and implementation of it, would not have been possible without the funding that accompanied it.

To say the extra $1,000,000 and the interaction with backers that came with it didn't have an effect (or worthwhile or whatever effect) on the game, at a point where the studio was in a make or break situation doesn't make much sense. If anything chances are that $1,000,000 made a bigger difference to the game than any of the other differences per $1,000,000 that went into it.
News Comments > GOG Galaxy Client Updated
6. Re: GOG Galaxy Client Updated Aug 26, 2015, 08:12 NetHead
jimnms wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 21:05:
..I imported a game I already had installed, it reset it to "out of the box" conditions, which removed the unofficial patches and mods that I had installed. Then when I tried to re-install them, the client installed version uses a modified .exe which made me unable to install the patches because they look for and modify the original game .exe.

The kind of stuff you just described is an absolute deal breaker to me and such things is a colossal screwup and a ridiculously stupid way to do things.

Unfortunately that would be in line with a number of things GOG has done lately, whoever is behind a number of things, such as their installer, doesn't think things through or is just implementing someone's designs who has no business making decisions with anything technical related.

I installed GOG Galaxy a while ago but haven't really used it, just briefly looked at it as I don't really need or want it. Though still every time I installed a newer GOG release it would start up the damned Galaxy service (sarcastic "yay" that it runs as a service) which is really annoying. If I don't want something running on my PC then, shocker, I don't like something else launching it especially as a service as then you don't know it's running unless you go searching (or your firewall suddenly starts reporting something it trying to phone home).

I've just been hoping that it end up ok, though now I'm just hoping it ends up bearable which would mean improvements and changes in directions they seem to be taking.

From what you've said I have no interest in having it installed or using it. So figured I'd just uninstall it and yay, there is still GOG Galaxy crap all over the place.

Doubt I'll be trying it again anytime soon, and certainly not before I hear about it NOT doing the kind of things you've mentioned.
News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 25, 2015, 06:29 NetHead

Considering how often this seems to happen it seems odd that anyone wanting to do such a thing would rely on Twitter or their API to begin with. It's not as if they couldn't get together or individually make something along the lines of a bot to search and store certain accounts/pages making public tweets which they then retrieve the data from.

It would pretty easy to make something like a "google of twitter" resulting in a site where anyone can search through archives of anything made public on the site.

Something like this would be worlds harder to shutdown than something like the Pirate Bay and nothing short of constant "are you human" checks to every visitor would be an inconvenience.

I also seem to remember something about Twitter also disabling API access to someone offering features Twitter decided to offer themselves, when dealing with a company that does that kind of thing why would you put yourself into a position to rely on them in any way.

News Comments > Age of Wonders III Mod Support Plans
5. Re: Age of Wonders III Mod Support Plans Aug 21, 2015, 19:22 NetHead
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 18:40:
Pretty late to come with modding support... game is out for what feels a decade

I wonder if this means they won't be starting any more expansions. Maybe they were even waiting for expansion sales to get market penetration before releasing modding support.
1. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 21, 2015, 12:55 NetHead
In an act of stated symbolism, Fallout creator Todd Howard took to the stage at..

Wait what, I've read enough.
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 21, 2015, 06:31 NetHead
jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 05:21:
Axis wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 23:38:
Where were SUV's and smoke stacks when the glaciers in the US melted?

Seriously, how can you argue this shit?

Someone who uses that kind of "argument" or logic, clearly hasn't bothered to look into it and doesn't care to, they've already made up their mind well before getting or seeking information. So save your breath, they are uninterested in being informed regardless of how much they may say on the matter.
News Comments > The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash
35. Re: The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash Aug 17, 2015, 05:50 NetHead
InBlack wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 04:09:
A lot of people jumping to defend one side or the other, when it's not really about that. The Witcher3 with it's quite open world could really spawn a massive modding community, depending on the tools that are released.

Some have brought up the lackluster mod scene from W2 as a reason not to really support a W3 mod scene, which is ass-backwards. W3 is a much more capable game and engine and appears to be the most well sold and popular game of the series. It could potentially support a massive mod scene depending on the support of the developers. Especially since Skyrim is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

I think a large part is that they basically said they were planning on releasing, good, modding tools eventually. This raised hopes, created hopes, and of course got more people interested in the game etc. The disappointment is only adding some fuel to the fire.

The Witcher 3 being open world thus more suited to meaningful modding, compared to The Witcher 2, isn't the only reason for Witcher 2 not having a thriving modding community. There are people who say things like "Witcher 2 didn't have this big modding community so why bother with Witcher 3" thinking it's logical not to release the tools thinking the demand isn't there.

Which is a rather, obtuse way to look at it, and not considering many things. Not only was The Witcher 2 less suitable for modding but modding support took forever, any noteworthy interest in both the game and modding had died off by the time they finally released something worthwhile.

Also a modding community doesn't spring up over night, there are very few cases of games that end up with many mods/modders without having first build up such a community through previous games (often in the same franchise). Mod support doesn't guarantee an instant community, that's an exception and looking at the games that do it's easy to see why they do, taking something like Kerbal Space Program as an example (it's the kind of game that even at its core attracts the kind of people that want to build things). Something like The Witcher 3, Skyrim, Oblivion, any RPG really does not intrinsically attract "builders", Skyrim didn't get a modding community due to its tools, that community was already there waiting due to past games same it's predecessor, what those games did and did well was support and help those communities grow over many many years.

Lets not forget modders (at least depending on the complexity of the mod) are very much developers, and if you've ever met a developer and talked about what they prefer to use you'll know they're even worse than consumers about what they support, because they have to work with the tools and can settle into a way of doing things, a way of thinking even. Unless you already have a bunch already used to using your tools, and happy using your tools more are not going to come flocking in overnight, it takes repeated releases to show you have tools that won't require them to relearn everything down to the wheel for them to get involved in a new version/release. Getting an entire modding community on the first release with modding support is an unrealistic expectation even if it is the kind of game that attracts builders, for an RPG it takes time, it takes repeated releases to build a noteworthy, experienced and capable modding community.

So anyone, either the devs/publishers or just some armchair Joe, using a past game (especially one like Witcher 2, even without considering how long modding support took) as reason to not bother releasing or supporting modding in future titles (especially when the newer titles are suitable for both mass and meaningful mods) is being, silly, to put it politely. Taking one tiny tidbit and forming a thesis on it alone while ignoring a world of important influencing factors.

As that old crap movie said "if you build it they will come", well CD Projekt has not yet build it, "it" consists of more than just tools, it also requires something suitable to mod. This time they finally have something suitable to mod, though now they haven't provided the means. They still have not built "it". Even if they had it still would have been only their first release to be both suitable for and support modding.

So those I called "silly" should instead point to this being the last Witcher game (and potentially their last game with such modding potential) so it being to late to start building a modding community, they would at least have a chair with two legs to stand on. Though that's only the case if CD Projekt isn't going to release any more such games suitable for modding. This kind of experience and tech doesn't grow on trees, so they may as well put it to use especially since there is a demand as sales show not just for Witcher 3, though that's another debate.

Basically CD Projekt either completely screwed a pooch and messed up, or doesn't understand modding (hence the release of an "MSpaint" like modding tool), or someone is incompetent. Or they just don't care, possibly because they know they won't be releasing any more such games for a very long time, as in they don't even have plans to brainstorm one for future.

Though regardless of it all they did somewhat screw a pooch by strongly suggesting there would "RedKit" like modding and then handing out "MSpaint" like modding. It also screws themselves in that such a suitable game with good modding support would have been selling for many years to come, so a lot of lost potential which in itself can annoy people.
297 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

Blue's News logo