Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 331 (Amateur)
User ID 55500
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 19, 2015, 16:56 NetHead
ledhead1969 wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 12:29:
Whatever happened to emoticon?

Whatever happened to Oxford Dictionaries.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Nov 19, 2015, 07:55 NetHead
Pigeon wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 14:47:
Wallshadows wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 13:50:
InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 12:44:
Choice and consequence was a staple of the previous games. No longer it seems?
you HAVE to join them regardless of the dialogue options in order to finish that chain.

That sounds very unfallout like, actually very unlike Bethesda. Were they secretly bought out by EA or Activision?

Bethesda no doubt figures and even expects the large modding community around their games to flesh it out etc. Bethesda is no more benevolent than Valve and going by the past, that's exactly what will happen with mods turning the game into something worthwhile.

Why would they do any more than the minimum when paying customers will complete their work for them, especially when they're looking for a way to make money off their customers doing their work for them.
News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Delayed
16. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Delayed Nov 19, 2015, 06:26 NetHead
wtf_man wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 15:36:
Our PC Port sucks, and we are fully aware of what happens to shitty PC Ports (*Cough* Arkham Knight *Cough*)

I seriously doubt that. You think this dev is going to delay this game (on all platforms) due to bugs or a less than stellar PC port, where the standards are low, buyers suck it up and releasing patches is free. You're either pulling a leg or perhaps just overly or naively optimistic.

Still one can hope for the end result I guess, as far as I'm concerned they can delay it for years if it means it's both good and works well on PC ("works well", here being a very broad term).

I am long since past the point of paying money for games that are either a crappy port or where the game itself isn't up to standards.

The only exclusions to that are cheap indie games or old games for nostalgia sake and I own virtually all I want in the nostalgia category.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 4K Trailer
3. Re: Just Cause 3 4K Trailer Nov 18, 2015, 10:59 NetHead
Linthat22 wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 10:46:
pssssht, I'm waiting for this 4k fad to pass. Bring on 8k!!!

News Comments > Obsidian Game Announcement Coming
15. Re: Obsidian Game Announcement Coming Nov 16, 2015, 04:28 NetHead
nin wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 22:44:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 22:16:
I actually thought New Vegas was better then Fallout 3, and I really liked how the DLC was tied together for the final DLC.

New Vegas was way better than 3.

That's an understatement, one was unmemorable garbage and the other good. New Vegas with mod actually ends up as pretty/very good.
News Comments > Sunday Patches
3. Re: Sunday Patches Nov 9, 2015, 04:44 NetHead

I wouldn't put off other games to play Fallout 4 when released. Bethesda may as well be synonymous with bugs, it's not entirely their fault, such large games will have loads of bugs. As complexity increases so do bugs though Bethesda's bugs beat the curve and to top it off they have no problem simply leaving and ignoring many bugs, even quest breaking bugs. They eventually outright abandon things leaving it to modders to patch.

So I'm not eager to play Fallout 4 at release and definitely wouldn't put off other great and working games to play it, because it's going to have problems, lots of problems and not just bugs. I wouldn't be surprised if it requires modders to finish "porting" it to PC if Skyrim is anything to go by, something which I considered unplayable or at least unbearable in it's official state even to this day.

I finally started playing Divinity Original Sin, while it has lots of flaws and a few small bugs it's been a lot of fun and peppered with laughs.

Though I disliked there being so much "city" stuff forced from the start before getting to venture forth it did manage to keep that entertaining. So I did everything I could find before heading West, being warned at the gates that I'm low level (lvl5 but I haven't spent many available points yet) but things went well. Felt nice to finally get out of the city.

Was kicking arse having fun and had a challenging fight but kept going, until I ran into an abomination which 1 short my guy sneaking around. Even going invisible and running away just ended up with this monstrosity porting across the map to me when invisibility wore off. Still my lvl5 guys managed to kick its butt without much problem once getting the hang of it thanks to some lore. So it's good at giving you that achievement feeling which is nice (and I don't mean that stupid "achievement popup" crap games like pulling normally)

I don't know why anyone would want to put off any of the many good games they might enjoy, to play something which will no doubt be a flawed annoying bugfest for a long time after release.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: That's cute. Nov 6, 2015, 15:39 NetHead
Ecthelion wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 11:33:
Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 10:20:
The PS4 is 25% of the way to overtaking Prez.
Even the PS2 (the best selling console of all time) only made it to just under 2500 games.

It's hard to compete with the PC or mobile, where anybody can make a game and publish it digitally.

It's also worth taking into account Sony has taken to having indie titles on the PS4, so the number of developers who might release a game on the PS4 is ridiculously higher compared to the PS2 in its day.

Since indie releases especially can be small, fast and furious, it's probably safe to say that expecting the PS4 to pass 2500 games in its lifetime is very modest.
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 6, 2015, 10:49 NetHead

Spyware/adware on the hardware level lol
News Comments > On Fallout 4's Graphics
20. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 4, 2015, 22:06 NetHead
Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:51:
Razumen wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:18:
They've had years...and no excuses.

Sure they do. It'd be years in which they their programmers do nothing but create an entire new mod framework. That's years where they're not doing other stuff.

Of course, not to mention that their monstrous mod community would then have to learn a completely new engine.

And for what? So that the five "OMG TEH GRAPHICS AREWNT THE BESTESTTT!!!" people would buy it?

I fail to see the point. Their fans will still buy it and enjoy it, despite the fact that the graphics aren't as cool as the Witcher 3. :-shrug-:

Some just completely underestimate how costly and complex and time consuming it would be to change to a new engine in such a situation for, what benefits.

I don't even know why some think "whole new engine" would suddenly result in amazing new levels of graphics while retaining all the features. I'm willing to bet none who do think that in this situation have any programming experience worth mentioning, or possibly even an appropriate aptitude for or understanding of such things.

Their logic is the equivalent of thinking someone should simply install a V10 into a V6 car for more performance while keeping efficiency where it was with magic crystals.
News Comments > Steam Item Stores
9. Re: Steam Item Stores Nov 4, 2015, 21:22 NetHead
In fact I would go as far as to say that by not being involved in the marketplace we’re screwing our community."

I'm glad there's scepticism about this, though hopefully it's not just a few who see right through this greedy absurdity.

Taking something like Path of Exile, though I haven't played it in a long time I presume nothing's changed and it's still a quality game being made and maintained by passionate people. It's a completely free game being funded by players who support it by purchasing cosmetic bonuses. I don't think anyone can really complain about that, a good free game being supported and maintained by some fans while developers successfully deliver said game to many.

Now a paid for product doing this, charging paying customers for cosmetic items is in no way good will, friendly or a positive move, it's pure greed while lying and insulting already paying customers. If they wanted to do this in a positive way it would b via simple open mod support for such cosmetic items.

The only way this kind of thing gets worse is when they get paying customers to make these things then take a cut of any money it generates, this is so far beyond "double dipping" which make things like an ISP trying to charge something like NetFlix due to the paying ISP customer using bandwidth they've paid for, seem tolerable if not almost reasonable.

It's almost perverse, paying customers, paying to make something, so paying customers can pay for something for a game they've already paid for.

Also it seems there is one thing in common with this nonsense, be it wanting to be paid for customers making mods or silly little cosmetic bonuses, which is the Valve Corporation.

This seems to be their new target for printing money, pushing this perversely greedy system into more games where they of course will take a cut of it all.

How long before it gets to the point the words "Mod Support" won't mean crap and people will want "Open Mod Support" or "Free Mod Support" or by whatever name something where paying customers can can tinker and improve a game for for eachother's benefit and that of the developer without having to pay the developer for the "privilege" of making their game more enjoyable.

I'm not sure any game developer however selfish would have thought such a thing would fly, EA had probably has dreams about pulling such a thing scaly thing off though even they haven't really given it a go.

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was Valve Corporation taking this to developers and encouraging them to do it, all under the guise of something good for both developer and consumer. Like it was one of these lies people tell themselves so they can say things with a straight face.

At this rate it looks like when things like "Mod Support" has been turned into a useless catchphrase or P.R checkbox which is no longer something which actually benefits customers without them paying more, there will be one company primarily responsible. The sad thing is there are so many people blindly supporting this company as if it were a trend to do so, it's as if they're walking ahead of it sprinkling money on the ground as it marches and important part of PC gaming down into this greedy hole.
News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 4, 2015, 03:47 NetHead
Ozmodan wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 21:36:
Notice the new games are already locking fps on consoles. The graphics chips on the consoles are already out dated. There are no new consoles in sight atm either.

Just $200 gets me a pc graphics card that is significantly faster than any console.

Locking the FPS to 30 isn't at all surprising, though that can be said without bashing the consoles. They aren't nearly as used to squeezing out all the performance of the systems like they were after years on the previous consoles, that along with "requirements" to have better visuals means performance will suffer. As with previous consoles it wouldn't be surprising if after a few more years the games look better with the same performance.

Now I'm just saying that to point out it shouldn't be at all surprising, even if they were much more powerful chances are there would still be games limited to or targeting 30 FPS because that's what's often considered acceptable on consoles (unfortunately sometimes on PC too).

I'm not defending the console hardware/performance, it sucks and will suck more tomorrow than it does today, it wasn't impressive when there were concrete specs floating around before release so isn't impressive today. Still it's not all bad, from a PC standpoint, it's sure as hell a lot better than it was with the last console generation, again from and for PC. It would take a fair bit of text to get into it but at least we won't be having game levels cut up into little zones (thank the last console gen for that crap), the kind of game design now possible is much broader, not just more "open". So they're not impressive, but as someone playing on PC, it could be a lot worse at dragging down the games.

Though one thing I can't help wondering about, is how well it would have gone down if one of the consoles had planned to pull something of a 32x move, as in a Sega 32x move. Mostly because I'd be interested in watching the reaction to something like that had it happened. Like if one suddenly said "that mystery port on the console, today we reveal that's for Crossfire addon" or "you can link two consoles together for more performance". All the hype, hysteria and no doubt rage would have been entertaining, and possible have destroyed the competitor.
News Comments > BATTLETECH Hits PvP Stretch Goal
13. Re: BATTLETECH Hits PvP Stretch Goal Nov 2, 2015, 12:48 NetHead

Lately I'm getting more and more of a feeling that some companies goto Kickstarter talking about plans they will implement one way or another, regardless of how much funding they get and if those stretch goals are met by fans. They just hit up the Kickstarters anyway for that extra money.
News Comments > AMD Driver Changes
1. Re: AMD Driver Changes Nov 2, 2015, 10:59 NetHead

There is some stuff there that I really don't like the sound of.

Like "Automatic games detection: All installed games on PC added to list". Having something scanning either the registry to get an incomplete list of games or scan/thrash every hard drive so it can add things to a list I have no interest in, is not exciting me. Letting the user add games or detecting them when run, sure, but such scanning really needs to be optional and manually invoked.

Instead I'd rather they added something like custom fan/temperature control.

Guess they were to busy adding things like Twotter, Fkucbook, goggle+ and instacram. Because that's what I want in my graphics drivers and their control interface.
News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Free DLC
2. Re: Sword Coast Legends Free DLC Oct 30, 2015, 19:40 NetHead

This seems to be bombing pretty badly. I didn't following it that closely yet even to me it seems to be milking and riding nostalgia rather than paying homage. Maybe milking is the wrong word, lip-service at best might be more like it.
News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Review Flags Removed
26. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Review Flags Removed Oct 30, 2015, 08:53 NetHead

It's possible this entire review flagging thing was automatic and unintentional, possibly even unbeknownst to W.B.

Removing and re-releasing a game could be a condition which causes Steam to mark the game as such, and in the same style as an Early Access title getting a full release, the system automatically flags reviews that were prior (or during a certain time) as pre-release.

It's entirely possible that W.B didn't know this would happen, though once enough fuss was kicked up either they or Valve altered the release date causes the system to stop flagging reviews as pre-release. Perhaps W.B even asked Valve to address this and was the result of Steam thus Valve's fault.

Without an informative statement from either or accurate information of these working of Steam it's impossible to know.

The only thing that suggest W.B did anything questionable is that they haven't released any statement saying this was unintentional. A lack of proof is hardly proof.

Considering the laziness/incompetence of the two companies involved, I think we may as well flip a coin to see who it was that decided to fix this.

The thing I'm seeing as an issue so far is the lack of transparency from both.
News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Why we like loot Oct 26, 2015, 12:06 NetHead
harlock wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 20:10:

yeh i had a pirated version with like 100 of those golden keys where you can open the super magical chest back in the home town... so every few levels i would do that a couple times, because it would scale the loot to your level

and it was still crappy!!! not as crappy, but yeh... horrible fucking implementation

I remember pretty much the same crap. At first it seemed okay but only because I didn't know what to expect, even so 10 levels after finding a decent weapon I still hadn't found a replacement. So I'd start spamming the gold key thing (could reset it to about 250 keys) every 5 or so levels to get a new weapon, it was so bad or rather pathetic sometimes I'd get tired of picking up mountains of crap from that chest in the hopes of something decent and just end up sticking to my old weapon.

They added way to much utter garbage to the games weapons, the chance of getting so many variables to line up for a weapon is completely stupid. Many of those weapon properties are totally asinine. It's the kind of nonsense you'd expect from some online game where they offer to sell you the things you want for real money to avoid the relentless grind.
News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 26, 2015, 08:22 NetHead

I remember playing the hell out of Moto Racer 1, replaying circuits countless times for that perfect lap. It was almost addictive but felt rewarding when you got that one lap where everything went perfectly.
News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
11. Re: Microsoft no longer reporting console sales Oct 24, 2015, 19:18 NetHead
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 11:37:

That was pretty much my exact reaction reading that Microsoft headline.

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 12:13:
...that ended up putting the Xbone down as a distant second place. Mostly it failed because Sony's ENTIRE campaign was to point out small flaws in its competitor as massive.

Well Microsoft failed all by itself, they were so pompous, arrogant and anti-consumer with the nonsense they wanted to do at release they're lucky to the Xbone is were it is today.

Also when those differences, however small, mean the difference in 1080p vs 720p at playable framerates the end result is big and worth banging about drum about, especially since 1080p is the most common native resolution for TVs and things look better at the native resolution. Lets also not forget how they all themselves went on about "HD" this and "1080p" that when it came to the new consoles.

It was pretty obvious this would happen before this generation was even released as I said in many places at the time. Looking at how the consoles performed/sold last time between the PS3 vs 360 (the PS3 was even released a year later with a hefty pricetag) the writing was on the wall that Microsoft/Xbox would have a hard time especially with the Playstation releasing at about the same time. Even if Microsoft didn't shoot the Xbone in the foot at release with a moron doing damage control it wouldn't be much better off and the gap between the two systems is most likely to increase as time goes on.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
15. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 24, 2015, 18:53 NetHead
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 11:30:
"Under the hood" changes are entirely fucking retarded because the fucking patcher downloads the entire game for every patch anyway....

Or they could just do patching in a sensible, or at least, non retarded way.

I don't care what game is in question, patches that cause one to download more than is needed, nevermind loads more, is a sign of either stupidity, incompetence, or simply an attitude of not giving a crap about customers. Even an untrained desk-monkey could be shown how to make a delta patch if they can't be bothered or are unable to make a decent patching process.
News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Sells 500K Copies
7. Re: Pillars of Eternity Sells 500K Copies Oct 23, 2015, 20:59 NetHead
Cutter wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 19:53:
Given what a disappointment the game was they won't see sales like that again. And it's PoE, Path of Exile is PoEx.

PoE was out long before Pillars, get over it.
331 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

Blue's News logo