Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 99 (Suspect)
User ID 55500

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock 2 Next Month; Preorders Underway
3. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Next Month; Preorders Underway Sep 17, 2014, 10:15 NetHead

Wetworks24 wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 09:24:
Enjoyed the first one but not happy with the price increase. Went from $15 for the first one to $24 for the second...

Well I'd say it depends on the content and quality. The game may be bigger/longer, more indepth etc which would justify the higher price.

I suspect that's the case going on what I know about them, also a small indie dev can't afford to do an unjustifiable money-grab as fan backlash on their next game could sink it and thus the studio.

The first game at $15 was great value for anyone who enjoys the type of game. I'd be surprised if they've overpriced the game at $24 relative to the first at 15.

Personally I'd be far more inclined to raise issue with prices on things, or rather crap, like that horrendous money-grab "Z" remake, Sacred 3 etc. Might not be a bad idea to at least wait and see what the game offers before blasting it over a $24 price tag when there's no indication that it will be some kind of rip-off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Alien Isolation Trailer
3. Re: Alien Isolation Trailer Sep 11, 2014, 19:10 NetHead

I'm just taking a wait and see approach for this, not due to past games but because while I hope it's good, A.I is piss poor in gaming lately. At least in the sense that its made no progress in what, a decade easily probably more and has even devolved in many cases.

A.I in games is one of the things that's always most intrigued me and the most impressive thing when done well, though I don't even remember when last I was impressed. Since they're making a deal out of the A.I in this I know I'm going to be paying attention to it and expect to be sorely disappointed by a faux A.I which is nothing impressive and supplemented with to much scripting.

Though I also think that's a problem with the whole premiss and design of the game, if the A.I was any good at doing its job, the player wouldn't stand much of a chance of surviving for even a while, minutes if they remain true to the Xenomorph canon. So something has to give, either A.I giving way to scripting, the Alien being sub-par or the player being able to fight it off, or a load-game-fest in the hopes of delaying one's inevitable death.

Well this is why I've even avoided thinking about it, there has to be a compromise somewhere, guess that's okay as long as it's decent and fun in the end.

News Comments > Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced
4. Re: Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced Sep 11, 2014, 10:45 NetHead

Whenever Star Trek comes up in games I always think of Elite Forces. I'm not one of the huge Star Trek fans though Elite Force 2 was great fun.

Since then every time Star Trek has come up in games I've been disappointed but this time it's almost as if that's their goal.

InBlack wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 09:46:
MMORPG. check.
browser-based. check.

Could it be any worse. I'm tempted to say sure it could be a port of a mobile game (or just designed to be mobile compatible), that would be worse, then again it is a browser game and I didn't notice anything ruling out mobile devices as a target. So it could actually get worse.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if that was the case, it seems to be going with the "lowest common denominator" for the largest target logic.

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
34. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:41 NetHead

Bundy wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 09:30:
Although, I'm not sure this is a good fit, Mojang is essentially one game. Wouldn't MS be better off trying to buy Valve, acquiring Steam makes much more sense than Minecraft.

Selling for 2 billion makes perfect sense if given half the chance, one could just start something new without any pressure and the entire family line could retire.

Buying it for 2 billion though seems ridiculous, a complete waste of money, though I'm not a Minecraft fan so...

As for Microsoft buying Valve/Steam that makes more sense, it may even have the nice side effect of people treating it as it deserves and not like some holy, do nothing wrong, messiah.

From a Microsoft perspective the benefits of buying Steam should be as obvious as putting on cloths before making public announcements, that's something they could integrate into Windows and really make a song and dance about while also keeping it off Linux et al.

InBlack wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 09:42:
Maybe they want to integrate some version of the game into their next OS? Thats the only way this deal could make any sense. Although with how Microsoft has handled PC gaming so far, incompetence and pure stupidity could also be a pretty good bet.

Possibly but chances are they would more likely do something along the lines of making Minecraft Xbox exclusive, the PS4 is eating their Xbox alive and without some serious trump cards it will only get worse. Especially if history is anything to go by, last time Sony entered the PS3 a year later than the 360 and had well known disadvantages like price and being hard to develop for yet by the end they still caught up when sales were counted. This time they've left Microsoft eating their own dirt right out the starting gate before even considering that this time they have none of the disadvantages but do have advantages.

The problem with Microsoft and PC gaming is that they see PC gaming as competition at least as much as an asset, due to not only being vested in console gaming but, I believe, the person responsible for gaming at Microsoft controls both aspects (their console and PC gaming) and seems to be of the mindset that taking from their PC gaming benefits their console gaming, exclusives being an obvious example.

To Microsoft PC gaming is an asset as in using gaming to help keep people (at least a relevant group of them) using Windows or even certain versions of Windows thanks to things like DirectX. It's one of their many doors/locks trying to keep people in their MS-OS ecosystem, along with many others some as simple as document formats. When Microsoft says they care about PC gaming that's how they care about it, as a one of those doors/locks and won't care about it (read demonstrate via actions) in a way that benefits anyone but themselves so long as that's the case. If anything Miscrosoft has been trying to build more walls around their ecosystem lately more than ever. Perhaps they're a little jealous of how Apple has things locked down and locked in.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
12. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 10, 2014, 08:34 NetHead

Beamer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 02:16:
Tim Collins wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 21:02:
They blew it bigtime by not using sapphire in the phones

Why?

Sapphire is super scratch resistant but pretty brittle.
What do you see more of? Scratched phones or cracked phones?

Sapphire will help the scratches and increase the cracks.

Used to have a watch with sapphire and it was tough has hell, went through a lot of rough-housing and knocks without a problem. Though in fairness I suspect it was a bit thicker than they would like to use in phone screens but I don't know that for a fact. Perhaps if the screens had a thin scratch resistant layer it would help and end up with the best of both worlds, hard and strong.

Then again just adding a few out of the way bumps on the screen side would help prevent it getting scratched from being put face down on most surfaces, or even just making the screen slightly concave would do the same while also making bright reflections less of a problem. Though knowing Apple they would probably patent such bumps or curves in a heartbeat if... oh nevermind.

News Comments > Raven's Cry Pre-Purchases
5. Re: Raven's Cry Pre-Purchases Sep 9, 2014, 17:04 NetHead

Gadzooks wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 15:27:
DRM on top of DRM

No thanks.

Companies that think they will benefit financially from using even more DRM, wont be getting my money. Outdated methods need to be made obsolete.

I remember their "Reality Pump" DRM in Two Worlds causing problems for people, limited activations and changing basic hardware will cause you to use up activations resulting in having to deal with "support" just to install/activate something you've purchased. All while pirate copies worked flawlessly.

No idea how it will work in Raven's Cry but that Reality Pump/limited activation was apparently standard practice for them at the time so unless they state otherwise I'd have no problem presuming it still is standard practice for them.

News Comments > Chaos Rising Removes GFWL
15. Re: Chaos Rising Removes GFWL Sep 6, 2014, 09:56 NetHead

Verno wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 12:11:
I barely even notice getting a Steam achievement, still haven't added an option for a sound notification after all these years.

Never seen the point to or like this "achievement" stuff. Personally I think it's worse than quick time events, if it lets you know via a popup message or something, even the Q.T.E's that obviously don't belong in certain games since it's even more immersion breaking and adds nothing.

Also "achievements" they're called achievements, let that sink in.

They're like the game industry's version of a bonehead painting speed stripes on their car.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Dead Rising 3
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Dead Rising 3 Sep 6, 2014, 09:02 NetHead

Zanthar wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 07:34:
The "Official" 'Please post your issues here' thread on steam is over 1,200 posts and it's only been a day. Found here

That sounds pretty damming, on top of the poor performance of the port.

Also the fact that Capcom is is doing "support" through a single forum thread, on Steam no less, which seems like it will have thousands of posts within days is utterly absurd. Any back and forth will be impossible for trying to fix someone's problem and it only takes a few reports so see it isn't limited to any specific hardware or OS.

Ironic that at the end of their opening post is "Rules" which goes on about keeping it easy to track issues, reported by the thousands in a single thread... sure.

They knew they had a lemon when releasing it and this is their idea of supporting it, pretty shocking. Also if they didn't know they had a lemon that's even worse because it's painfully clear that any testing would have shown it.

I don't really have an strong opinion about Capcom one way or the other, or at least I didn't but if this is how they do things I sure as hell won't buy something Capcom related unless its already done the rounds extensively without setting itself on fire.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2014 Virtual Tickets
2. Re: BlizzCon 2014 Virtual Tickets Sep 4, 2014, 23:42 NetHead

That's quite shocking and sad. Blizzard really thinks people would pay anything, let alone that much to watch some "thing", the sad thing is there no doubt are some who are such rabid fans that they would and Blizzard is happy to bend them over and...

I don't know how Blizzard has such a fanbase, same with Valve frankly.

News Comments > GOG.com Revamped
3. Re: GOG.com Revamped Aug 27, 2014, 22:17 NetHead

The GOG.com website wasn't great or bad, though with these changes it has objectively been changed for the worse.  

News Comments > Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes)
3. Re: Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes) Aug 27, 2014, 22:15 NetHead

Rhino wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:39:
Aside from the lack of review copies being sent out, which is never a good sign, there is also this:

http://ts4news.com/post/94541924952/89-features-missing-from-the-sims-4

I don't play the Sims, only know very little from what someone who likes it has told me, though that seems like quite a harsh list of missing things.

Looking at it I can't help wondering how much from that list will turn up as DLC along with declarations of "finally making X possible" "hard work" "due to fan demands" etc.

Also some of those things listed suggest the game/engine is pretty poor or strangely limited if true.

Some irony in this "32-bit executable - TS4 is not 64-bit" when the requirements list a 64 bit OS and 4GB of RAM. If it really is only 32 bit it will only be able to access 4GB of RAM including GPU/graphics RAM so 4GB of system RAM can not be fully utilised.

If such things from that list are true this seems like quite a mess with lots of room for speculation, the kind people love to draw in regard to EA, deservedly. They might not be doing the "power of the cloud" nonsense like they did with Sim City, though is seems like there is other nonsense in there.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 15, 2014, 04:22 NetHead

btallas wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 20:57:
...Weird to call out microsoft when they do the same when they can.

Yup, pot and kettle situation. Though have to say at least they aren't making ridiculously stupid and transparent statements like Microsoft regarding resolution, the way they're going on it's either complete stupidity (or treating their customers as such) or utter ignorance about tech relevant to their industry.

News Comments > System Shock 2 Turns 15
23. Re: System Shock 2 Turns 15 Aug 12, 2014, 13:05 NetHead

Task wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:05:
Bioshocks are just poor imitators. Nothing compares to the horror of playing System Shock 2 for the first time..

I'd say Bioshock can generally hold it's own but to me it never felt like a spiritual successor to System Shock, it just isn't on the same level.

The keyword there I'd say is horror, I can even still remember the horror (joy) of playing the System Shock 2 demo, nevermind the whole game. System Shock did great with it's whole horror and thriller aspect, Bioshock is more of an attempted thriller with zero horror.

On the System Shock note I always end up thinking of Routine which does look like a great spiritual successor. Strangely the site seems to be down (http://www.routinegame.com) but there are still videos on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/LunarSof/videos)

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Havok Providing Technology for.... Aug 12, 2014, 12:47 NetHead

Can't really put down Havok (especially when there's stuff like PhysX running around) though it's a bit sad that all these large companies haven't made some move to all help improve and push some open physics that would benefit them all and the industry as a whole.

With the amount of money, resources and talent all these huge companies have, they could each contribute what would be a relatively minute amount for them to something like Bullet Physics, or even together start their own open physics, ala-OpenGL, and positively raise the bar for all their own games in the process.

With such clout and widespread usage it would also be enough to get hardware vendors to fully support it, even nVidia would have to or get left behind.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
21. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 12, 2014, 12:28 NetHead

"Microsoft is fully dedicated to PC gaming and will as always continue to support and".......puke.................

News Comments > Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars
3. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 11:03 NetHead

From a consumer point of view I don't see the point to this or even any of the hoopla and news about it.

So what if something is started with the name "Sierra", it's nothing more than milking a name and chances are more potential to disappoint than anything else due to nostalgia around this name. While ultimately run by and for the Activision cash machine.

"Sierra’s goal is to find and work with gifted up-and-coming indie developers working on their own amazing projects or who are passionate about working on great Sierra IP,"

I also think that quote reveals quite a bit, though may just be reading to much into it. What's so great about getting up-and-coming indie developers working on loved and established "Sierra" I.P, shouldn't something like that be done by someone with a relevant track record and understanding of said I.P rather than the "up-and-coming". Seems illogical to let some unknown develop a game for an I.P you supposedly hold in high regard.

Fully aware of my own jaded cynicism, I can't help wondering if this isn't more about trying to ensnare the "up-and-coming" and possibly successful new I.P, especially in these days when it's becoming ever easier for these up-and-coming indies to release their games without any need for deals with traditional publishers. Even the consoles seem to be making at least some effort for get indie games on their platforms.

This seems more like an attempt to mimic what the music industry has and the way they sign on the (snatch) up-and-coming talent.

News Comments > Dungeons 2 Announced
3. Re: Dungeons 2 Announced Aug 7, 2014, 13:04 NetHead

Jamil20 wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 11:55:
Did they even finish the first one? I thought that was a bug riddled mess?

I vaguely remember giving it a go and all I remember, being a fan of Dungeon Keeper, was complete disappointment. Won't be paying attention to this unless it gets solid reviews and praise all round.

News Comments > Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds
8. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 13:01 NetHead

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 11:25:
"We tried to screw people over, and got caught, so now we have to pretend to care about you and give refunds, dammit."

I don't know, maybe I'm just to skeptical and becoming jaded about the gaming industry. I wouldn't be surprised if nonsense like this is all planned.

Perhaps they deliberately do this deceptive crap for extra sales knowing they may or may not be called out on it. If they are called out they already have a "we value and listen to our fans.." speech ready and if they aren't all the more easy money. Either way they may think they come out with more profit and basically free publicity about them "listening to their fans"...

News Comments > The Expendabros
10. Re: The Expendabros Aug 6, 2014, 09:06 NetHead

Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 08:56:
They presumably got money as part of The Expendables 3 marketing campaign...

I seriously doubt that, their stuff is a typical example of how to get away with using another's property without having to pay, be licensed, or have any kind of permission.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 31, 2014, 22:09 NetHead

HARDOCP merely links to the teardown at https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+Rift+Development+Kit+2+Teardown/27613

Don't see the point in linking to a link that only links to the.......

99 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo