Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 208 (Novice)
User ID 55500

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Adds Freebies
7. Re: GOG.com Adds Freebies May 22, 2015, 15:20 NetHead

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2015, 14:32:

Cereal? You're bitching about getting free shit? Just hide the games in that case.

Yes "Cereal", as if you couldn't spot someone bitching about something.

One's a comic or some such, one's this crap, another's DLC for something I don't have. So yes let me add all this stuff I don't want to my shelf so I can then hide it.

How about I mail you a bag of shit? What, you going to bitch about a bag of free shit? You cereal? Huh?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GOG.com Adds Freebies
5. Re: GOG.com Adds Freebies May 22, 2015, 12:37 NetHead

Don't want that crap cluttering my GOG shelf, even if it unfortunately isn't a shelf anymore.  

News Comments > AMD Project CARS & Witcher 3 Beta Drivers Coming
8. Re: AMD Project CARS & Witcher 3 Beta Drivers Coming May 22, 2015, 08:59 NetHead

theglaze wrote on May 22, 2015, 02:14:
Now go make some spectacular hair, AMD.

They have TressFX, developers just need to get off their arse and add it to their games.

http://www.nsfwyoutube.com/watch?v=qXRJZ1z3Fsg

AMD's site

I don't have a newish nvidia setup so can't personally compare them and their performance,probably won't know exactly how they perform compared to eachother until something implements both though.

News Comments > AMD Project CARS & Witcher 3 Beta Drivers Coming
4. Re: AMD Project CARS & Witcher 3 Beta Drivers Coming May 21, 2015, 20:18 NetHead

theglaze wrote on May 21, 2015, 15:48:
It makes sense to attack your competitor where it is weakest.

I gave up on ATI years ago because of lackluster driver development...back when I had to download 3rd party Omega drivers because ATI took to damn long to release their own. It got to the point where ATI stole the Omega name and added it to their marketing because of the recognition it got.

I don't think it was a good choice to use the Omega name, though some of the things you say seem very odd.

You say it got to the point where ATI stole the name, but when's the last time Omega Drivers actually released something, checking their site now it seems he stopped in 2011, so 4 years ago.

So saying or implying that ATI (AMD) is stealing the name because it's more reputable or more recognisable or more often updated makes absolutely no sense.

I don't remember the last time Omega drivers was actually a thing. I remember it used to be great (I was on Nvidia at the time), it gave more control via more options and maybe even bundled some things but that was all it really did.

It was basically a settings tweaking program but for drivers, it still used the official drivers. It wasn't his own version, it wasn't a different driver from what ATI or Nvidia released. To be clear here, he didn't actually make or change the drivers themselves, he "tweaked" settings and made changing those settings easier/more accessible to the average joe.

I also remember ATI being okay with the whole Omega thing, while Nvidia on the other hand pissed me off by fighting with him until he stopped releasing their drivers meaning I could no longer use them if I wanted updated drivers.

Actually considering now, that Omega drivers have basically been dead for 4 years with absolutely no sign of ever coming back, and that ATI used to work with them rather than against like Nvidia, it might be a kind of homage, if they remembered the old Omega Drivers when choosing that name.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 21, 2015, 19:33 NetHead

A ball has never been the requirement for something to be a sport, smart-arses, just look at golf.  

News Comments > Hellraid in Limbo
11. Re: Hellraid in Limbo May 21, 2015, 19:32 NetHead

Don't remember hearing about this but looking at some videos and their dates it seems odd to get so far along before making the decision to cancel something, perhaps a lack of skill meant goals weren't being met.

Though while it looked like it had potential, taking things from other good games it wasn't doing it well.

It seems like it wants to be a mix of Skyrim with random loot (Borderlands?) and combat leaning more towards Dark Souls 1 but failing miserably at that part.

The combat looks boring as hell, slow, repetitive and uninteresting. Dark Souls gets away with such slow combat because it's damned good at it, weapons and armour all feel like they have appropriate weight and encumbrance and shields actually work as expected, listing all the reasons it's combat is good would take a while.

Imagine Borderlands with crappy gunplay, could be one of the most tedious games ever before getting half way through, melee combat is worlds harder and they hadn't gotten the magic to be any better.

This either required major combat improvements, the kind that would require real work in a bunch of areas or dump it, presuming they're after a good game rather than just another game to pump out.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 20, 2015, 15:46 NetHead

lol sums it up

https://thepiratebay.vg/static/doodles/thepiratebay_hyd.jpg

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation May 20, 2015, 15:28 NetHead

InBlack wrote on May 20, 2015, 14:59:
...How the hell can I enable my Logitech Rumblepad 2 to work with the Witcher 3...

Some games/devs pull a shitty move and neglect all but xbox controllers on PC, if that's the case here x360ce might help. You basically put it in the games folder, run it and set up your controller and from then on if all works out the game will think you're using an xbox controller.

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
32. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 14:43 NetHead

Drayth wrote on May 19, 2015, 12:01:
NetHead wrote on May 19, 2015, 11:07:

AMD's track record says otherwise, in regard to both hardware and software and standards.

Well, TruForm comes to mind off the top of my head.

Unfortunately I don't remember anything specific in that regard about TruForm, I don't remember them either trying to make it open, a standard or exclusive. All I found after a short search was on wikipedia "It was never accepted into the DirectX or OpenGL specifications". While that doesn't say that they attempted to have it added to APIs from where it would become available to anyone, it does imply it, also TruForm dates back to well before AMD acquired ATI so....

Drayth wrote on May 19, 2015, 12:01:
Also, as for Mantle it basically became Vulkan, from what I know it's as open and available as OpenGL. It's also under the Khronos Group of which nvidia is a member.

That doesn't change the fact,
it was AMD only...

Sorry but I'm not going to bother reading any linus stuff, from what I remember from AMD presentations at the time they blatantly and repeatedly said they intend for it to become open and available to anyone, until they reach the point where they think it's ready for that they will continue working on it (in conjunction with certain partners and developers).

So this "fact" seems rather pointless, yes it's a fact, just as it's a fact what AMD said it intended to do, ultimately happened. They took Mantle to the Kronos Group of which they and many others including nvidia are a part of, it turned into Vulkan and is now available for anyone to use. How else would one expect them to get it to become and be accepted as an open industry standard.. (rhetorical)

So this fact you point to is counter to your argument, it is infact an example of not only AMD tech becoming available to all but also AMD living up to statements where they state they will be making some tech they're working on available to all.

I presume the anecdotes that followed are unrelated to quoting me.

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
20. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 11:07 NetHead

Drayth wrote on May 19, 2015, 10:15:

...If things were more 50/50 I'd bet they'd (AMD) be a lot more protective of their own tech. Mantle, for example, never actually became open to NV (not that they would have implemented it).

AMD's track record says otherwise, in regard to both hardware and software and standards.

Also, as for Mantle it basically became Vulkan, from what I know it's as open and available as OpenGL. It's also under the Khronos Group of which nvidia is a member.

News Comments > Take-Two Results: GTA5 Sells 52M Units
4. Re: Take-Two Results: GTA5 Sells 52M Units May 18, 2015, 22:15 NetHead

HorrorScope wrote on May 18, 2015, 21:54:
Comment embargo at Blues for Witcher Release thread.

What's with that?

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 16, 2015, 14:35 NetHead

Users and their privacy is Facebook's product, shocker.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 15, 2015, 14:24 NetHead

HorrorScope wrote on May 15, 2015, 12:34:
...This is so much post work going on in these games, I feel I rather play it 6-9 months down the line, more polish and probably a better price...

For what must be many years now the only games I've bought new where ones I don't expect to improve or need patching, examples being Hotline Miami and Project Zomboid, sure Project Zomboid is still in development but it's sold as that and not pretending to be complete.

Otherwise it seems like I just don't buy new games anymore, even something I've long loved like the Elder Scrolls, I only started playing Skyrim last year, after spending what, 3 years watching and keeping track of mods and fixes. I had installed it and mods for others over those years but waited for it to be "ready" before diving into it myself, though that's an exceptional example due to the mods enhancing and outright fixing a game that had so many annoyances I didn't really want to play it once I gave it a go when it was still new.

Still, it's similar logic behind all the "big" games lately, there will be loads and loads of patches many of which are critical, a bunch of addons many of which are simply money grubbing, then eventually you'll see a "Game of the Year" addition, which eventually becomes cheap. By that time I can play a fully patched, fully featured game, while putting up with it's stupid flaws because it was cheap.

Right now the only "big" game I'm remotely tempted to buy is The Witcher 3, loved the series and had multiple playthroughs, still even so I've yet to buy it, because I've pretty much been forced to learn not to buy "big" high profile games when they're new.

If I do buy the Witcher 3 wile it's new it will be because it's great and because I want to support the developer. I do my damndest not to give money to companies I don't like, if enough people did that we wouldn't be treated like absolute shit.

Just imaging other products or services trying to get away with the crap software, especially game companies do, selling incomplete products, revoking/cutting off access or features, DRM etc. I refuse to give these companies any more leeway than someone selling me a toaster, a car or a service.

I'm happier for it, don't rage as much over wasted money or basically being ripped off, no buyers remorse or trying to convince myself it's worth it, or it will get better with patches/mods etc. Sure I still get pissed of when they utterly ruin a franchise even though I didn't spend a cent but there's no regret on my part.

"You get what you pay for" must be one of the most asinine sayings ever, games being a great example in that those paying the most often get the worst.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 15, 2015, 08:45 NetHead

Hell will it ever end, wish video sites would at least support a fallback option for when Flash isn't available.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization May 15, 2015, 08:39 NetHead

What is a Konami?

Oh is it like a Zynga game or something

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation May 15, 2015, 08:31 NetHead

jdreyer wrote on May 14, 2015, 21:05:
Turns out that they only bricked online functionality. XB1s can still be used offline...

Still, SO glad I'm not a console gamer.

Me too and also glad I didn't support them with a cent.

Also what use is a console that's using legal games if it can't even update them especially these days when things are often released in barely better than a beta state.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Launch Cinematic
19. Re: The Witcher 3 Launch Cinematic May 14, 2015, 23:38 NetHead

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 14, 2015, 20:21:
Holy shit, that looks great! I know it's pure CGI...

I don't think it is. Does anyone else think they've cleverly used some actual video footage for parts of the cinematic, such as actors with a green screen then putting the CGI over them.

For example when the Bruxa is loosening her clothing with the water in the background. Also, a better example, when the injured Bruxa is crawling outside of the barn (towards the camera) while being shot from inside, then again a few seconds later when Geralt is walking towards the camera while reaching for his hook.

If I'm wrong, more credit to them, though I'm pretty convinced at this point based on my own opinion which in my opinion is a great opinion lol.

eRe4s3r wrote on May 14, 2015, 22:52:
... just seemed odd it would fall for THAT trick. Do these monsters not talk to teach other?

My take on that would be something like...Chances are any who find out about it, have fallen for it, so don't get to talk about it.

I think the first game made it pretty clear that the Witcher's potions and recipes are their most guarded secrets, if I remember right it's so guarded even they no longer know the recipes for the trials to make new Witchers.

So the Bruxa would have nothing but rumours to go on and chances are that would probably have them believing things like Witchers can shoot lasers out their butt, ie loads of crazy rumours with no way to tell fact from fiction other than Witchers are mutant potion chugging monster hunters.

Though I think the whole hypothetical debate is somewhat useless about a fantasy game, it's like geeking out with Star Wars vs Star Trek or Spiderman vs Batman etc. I think it's setting a great tone, one that's going to be damned fun, with such side quests being something of short stories which could play out a number of ways.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2015, 23:56.

News Comments > Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming
4. Re: Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming May 8, 2015, 09:30 NetHead

InBlack wrote on May 8, 2015, 08:33:
Heh, this is the most open and critical statement Ive seen from any dev regarding cooperation with a hardware manufacturer. Name and shame does the trick.

Sounds like you've never heard Linus Torvalds talk about Nvidia.

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Beta
17. Re: GOG Galaxy Beta May 6, 2015, 21:03 NetHead

Squirmer wrote on May 6, 2015, 18:22:
NetHead wrote on May 6, 2015, 08:38:
Illumin wrote on May 6, 2015, 05:31:
...If someone else doesn't like that your up till 3 am geeking out then F@% em.

The thing is people need to be able to tell those white lies, such as "I have to go do something important" then go have alone time playing a game, without those online seeing that you went to play a game and are ignoring them/everyone.

If any client like this has some sort of friends list and won't let me "hide" or be invisible or disable the "social" features, I won't use it.
Even Steam lets you set yourself as "offline", and you can tell it not to log you into the "friends" system when you load it, and you can set your profile to private so no one can see it. It's like people have never looked in the settings menu.

Unsure why you'd quote me and reply with that..

News Comments > Black Mesa Early Access
8. Re: Black Mesa Early Access May 6, 2015, 10:30 NetHead

jacobvandy wrote on May 5, 2015, 21:09:
HorrorScope wrote on May 5, 2015, 19:39:
Is this considered a paid mod?

Yup. There are those who remember their previous pledge to never charge for it...

I haven't kept track of its development over the years, though I've always presumed or gotten the impression that many people contributed over the years, coming and going, and no longer present.

I'd say it's past the point of "slippery slope" if they intend to profit off those past contributors work without paying them. Also if those contributors did the work at a time when they were pledging "to never charge for it" there may even be legal issues on top of the ethical, or lack there of.

208 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo