Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 402 (Amateur)
User ID 55500

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter
12. Re: Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter Feb 10, 2016, 20:07 NetHead

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 18:37:
Since these OVERLOAD guys have people on board who worked on FreeSpace, they should have considered making a good old traditional space sim with an epic single player campaign..

Even just a decent campaign would do.

Frankly at this point I'd refer a decent campaign over something "epic" where you have to save the world/galaxy/universe etc (though I presume you just meant it as "good" and not over the top, which is the new norm).

I'm so bored of Player Saves Everyone In Existence (in any genre). I'd much rather be a smuggler watching the crap hit the fan around me in faction/pirate/drug wars with some authority faction(s) thrown in. The player could work for any faction, do something against one and they might hate you/put a bounty on you, maybe join some "rebel" thing for a few mission on behalf of the authority.

Not talking overly indepth RPG like stuff, but it would be nice to know there's something going on out there, things bigger than you. Perhaps have territory change hands according to events which have many effects on said territory.

Not letting the player "turn the tide" or otherwise be a deciding factor, any faction could end up on top regardless of the player though maybe let them influence it a bit (perhaps if certain characters/ships are destroyed some faction becomes stronger/weaker).

Make a nice fun world, one with conflict, smuggling, pirating, betrayal and evolves regardless of a player who never makes it into the history books. Make a good "world" where the player can be scum going off as a pirate or join the military to become a mindless fighter pilot gaining rank until going AWOL (with their ship).

Once a fun "world" is sorted worry about adding side quests and scripted events. Adding characters, you get to know and trust so you can screw eachother over, make enemies. Sticking with a faction could feel like a campaign though one your faction might not win. Have the meat of the game be the "world" itself with character coming next.

Damn I better goto sleep or I'll never stop rambling.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 10, 2016, 15:52 NetHead

DangerDog wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 14:18:
All of these sites that want to block ad blocking need to take a "no flash and no javascript" pledge for their ads. Just go back to plain image links.

There are a few sites I wouldn't mind allowing ads on, with a few conditions.

Top of that list, which I will not compromise on, is no 3rd party scripts for ads (or rather especially for ads). You want to have ads then you host and control them. The ads, along with privacy and security, will be that site's responsibility.

Trusting a site and trusting a 3rd party ad company are worlds apart, even before considering security risks which increase beyond massively.

As for flash I don't even have it installed anymore.

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 15:39:
Every single site tracks you.....

The problem for many including me is when they or anyone starts tracking beyond their own site. Tracking one's own site usage has many valid reasons, beyond that I'll defer to Cutter's sentiment.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 9, 2016, 18:07 NetHead

3D TVs to Disappear into History.

Oh no, again? Who could ever have guessed.

Pigeon wrote on Feb 9, 2016, 11:21:
BicycleRepairMan wrote on Feb 9, 2016, 11:14:
I predict the same headline with "VR" in it in about 2 years.

I think VR is one of those things that will eventually happen, but it has to pass affordability and software adoption checks first. 3D has always been a gimmick and environmentally contingent.

I wouldn't be surprised if VR fizzles out sooner rather than later but I can see the hype and news going on for a while still.

Though I don't see it ever becoming mainstream in its current form, certainly not before the "headset" becomes a pair of glasses. By then it would have to stand entirely on its own merits (all hype, excitement etc would be long gone).

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 6, 2016, 06:42 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 22:19:
Lol @ peeps buying Crapple!

Just wait until other things start doing that crap. Oh and there may be nothing anyone can do about it because of treaties lol.

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Feb 4, 2016, 22:27 NetHead

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 21:50:
I hope a bus runs over his face.

Really, what your problem man, just think of the poor bus, it will probably have nightmares and PTSD, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy

News Comments > DOOM in May
43. Re: DOOM in May Feb 4, 2016, 22:23 NetHead

Primalchrome wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 14:13:
Sorry to rain on the grousing parade.....but the execution quicktimes are optional.

Who's, mine? I don't mind, I like the rain, and if so then that's good news.

Though I was talking mostly and specifically about the chainsaw. Are it's canned animation/mini-video deaths optional? Because I haven't seen it kill anything without that happening. Infact I haven't seen it used to inflict damage without it resulting in one of those mini-video/canned deaths, and I've just searched hoping to find something like that.

I really hope disabling/avoiding such things includes the chainsaw, because otherwise the chainsaw is going to suck even before comparing it to the old games.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion and Patch This Month
6. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion and Patch This Month Feb 4, 2016, 20:07 NetHead

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 14:43:
HAHAHAHAHAHA MOAR BUGZ

I started playing the game a few months ago, figured by then it would be pretty settled as far as bugs go, not a chance. Still I liked what I saw though didn't get that far as I thought I'd try again once all the content is released, but chances are it will be much longer for all the bugs to be squashed.

However it turns out, it can't possibly be as bad as Divinity Original Sin EE, which I started right after putting Pillars down. Original Sin was a swamp of bugs (and still is). So many bugs compounding shitty design it was a test of determination and commitment escalation to finish that piece of crap (which I really really really wanted to like so much).

News Comments > DOOM in May
18. Re: DOOM in May Feb 4, 2016, 13:52 NetHead

nin wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 11:43:
Too many canned animations for stomping/chainsawing/eye punching, etc...

Honestly, this just makes me want to go replay the original two...

Completely agree, though I would go further and say any/all such canned animations there are a waste.

When some video came out showing them cutting through an enemy you could hear a crowd cheering and honking, meanwhile about 10% of the way through that animation I was already thinking this sucks. It's going to get boring, repetitive and even annoying, basically having all the real action stop so it can show you what may as well be a little video clip.

If they had given body parts hitpoints and resistances, resistances which the chainsaw bypasses thus making it great at chopping off said body parts, that could have been fun. Especially if the monsters keep coming after loosing said non critical body parts while you swing the chainsaw around madly wherever you want.

No instead the game basically pauses while you watch some crap over and over again. I'll pass on that thanks, they may as well have turned it into a quick time event. I'd probably do it a few times just to see it in real time (perhaps once on each enemy) then avoid whatever weapon causes that crap to happen.

News Comments > Godus Wars Makes Controversial DLC Free
9. Re: Godus Wars Makes Controversial DLC Free Feb 4, 2016, 13:40 NetHead

nin wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 10:23:
This Godus thing sounds vaguely familiar

It's this asshole.

lol someone mentioned "promise monkey" and I presumed as much (since this isn't related to Star Citizen).

The things is, I remember knowing about this, about problems/complaints yet it had simply almost completely vanished from memory. As if my brain had said forget that stuff, lets store something more important there like "which direction to stir coffee". Basically I hear "Godus" now and don't think it's even worth the time find out what all the crap was, though I do still get a warning light turning on in the background.

Though that's not to say that people breaking promises, especially kickstarter like things, is not worth remembering or something to forget, guess that's why that little warning light still works.

News Comments > Godus Wars Makes Controversial DLC Free
3. Re: Godus Wars Makes Controversial DLC Free Feb 4, 2016, 10:18 NetHead

This Godus thing sounds vaguely familiar, I don't remember the details but I get the feeling it's nothing good.

Anyway them saying this...

We’ll be making some changes to the game and also the steam page to reflect the feedback that’s coming...

I consider that a big red flag regardless, it sounds like spin-doctoring for "we want to whitewash shitty reviews"

Don't know exactly what's going on with this Godus thing, but by the sound of it I don't care enough to find out.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 3, 2016, 16:43 NetHead

Microsoft is now aggressively pushing Windows 10 upgrades.

What the hell have they escalated to, sending someone to your house "Nice PC you have there, would be a shame if,,, something were to happen to it" or "We aren't updating Windows 7's security anymore, you want to keep your family safe, don't you?"

Jokes aside this is beyond ridiculous, Microsoft was hounded for including a basic shitty browser with their OS (how else would average Joe download his other browser of choice), boohoo, but they pull this kind of shit and nothing?

Witness the action in inaction.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 3, 2016, 16:21 NetHead

Pigeon wrote on Feb 3, 2016, 13:08:
Surjtech was just a puppet entity created by all the shady USB cable producers to keep this guy from exposing their crappy products as crap./conspiracy Paranoid

I'm not sure I follow. Though if I wanted to go for a conspiracy in this, it would be that the companies making crappy cables are limited liability shell companies controlled by the companies making expensive (specifically overpriced) cables, with the expectation that people will come to not trust "cheap" cables and be more willing to pay for the expensive ones to avoid any risk.

" /conspiracy Paranoid "

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 2, 2016, 01:02 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 20:39:
Highway gothic is easier to read.

I think the "1 Mile" version is much better.

News Comments > Morning Previews
10. Re: Morning Previews Feb 1, 2016, 18:23 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 15:17:
5 reasons why pooping is best done on a toilet.

Apparently the toilet results in an unnatural and uncomfortable position for pooping lol.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 30, 2016, 21:36 NetHead

Flo wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 01:51:
..Either way, both next gen consoles are pretty lame, thinking about getting a gaming PC again after 8 years...

Well when the new graphics cards are released would be a good time to consider it, even if you don't go for one of them they could help lower the price on existing ones.

News Comments > Evolve Adds New Hunter
21. Re: Evolve Adds New Hunter Jan 28, 2016, 01:15 NetHead

Phasenoise wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 14:57:
This actually makes me sad. It is a reasonable game and premise...

No it's not. As I said when I first heard about this thing coming out. It seemed and still seems like nothing more than a mod for an existing game or just a single gametype/gamemode from a multiplayer game.

There are user made mods/gamemodes for older UT games that are better than this entire "game", in premise and enjoyability.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
2. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 26, 2016, 20:38 NetHead

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 20:22:
Fuck inXile. Early access buyers of today are getting access before loyal backers

That does seem like a stupid and shitty thing to do.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 21, 2016, 15:51 NetHead

dubfanatic wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 13:10:
Fuck GitHub, I moved all my repos to my own GitLab server when they started pushing their politics all over the place.

You'd think considering how many people are making open source software etc, that they could get together and make an open source repository for open source projects. Since there are so many developers who want this, creating this demand while also being able to fulfill this demand, it's laughable in a way that they haven't filled it.

Sure there are costs involved but it would also be a worthwhile place to advertise (in a sane way), relevant software for example. Someones downloading FileZilla, well great chance to have an advert for FlashFXP, etc, so the ads could even be relevant without having to track a user in any way.

You'd think if there were one project that would be able to find developers willing to donate their time to something, this would be it.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 21, 2016, 14:04 NetHead

Retired wrote on Jan 20, 2016, 21:08:
BN is probably the fastest loading page on the internet that I go to. I love the straight forward simple design.

You can turn most sites into something similar with combinations of NoScript and adblocking with the help of Element Hiding Helper.

Sure it's not all automated and takes a few minutes to block out all the crap you don't want on some sites, but if it's a site you intent to use often it's well worth it.

For example I use IMDB all the time, but they seem to continually add crap to the site (recommended news here, embedded video there, links all tracking you and screwing with your history, crap "other people liked", on and on) endless annoyances.

Though without scripts and blocking certain elements, IMDB is now more basic and faster than Blue's News (where I also limit things). It now displays a search bar at the top, the relevant movie/episode content just bellow that and nothing else, not even stupid menu items that pop up when you accidentally mouse over them.

Now it loads content on pages in half the time it takes "connecting", on a modest internet connection with downloads going all over the place.

I honestly don't know how people stomach most internet sites (or browsing on the whole) without blocking out all the crap, ads, tracking, in-your-face-shit everywhere.

News Comments > EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions
40. Re: EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions Jan 13, 2016, 08:40 NetHead

chickenboo wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 22:13:
I for one won't be subscribing to this, and I hope it doesn't pave the way for publishers pulling their titles from other storefronts (eg Steam) and cordoning-off their games into their own subscription services. Imagine that Blizzard, EA, Microsoft, UbiSoft, Sony, only providing access to their games exclusively through their own storefronts or via subscription services.

You mean like Valve Corporation.

402 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo