Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 90 (Suspect)
User ID 55500

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Revamped
3. Re: GOG.com Revamped Aug 27, 2014, 22:17 NetHead

The GOG.com website wasn't great or bad, though with these changes it has objectively been changed for the worse.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes)
3. Re: Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes) Aug 27, 2014, 22:15 NetHead

Rhino wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:39:
Aside from the lack of review copies being sent out, which is never a good sign, there is also this:

http://ts4news.com/post/94541924952/89-features-missing-from-the-sims-4

I don't play the Sims, only know very little from what someone who likes it has told me, though that seems like quite a harsh list of missing things.

Looking at it I can't help wondering how much from that list will turn up as DLC along with declarations of "finally making X possible" "hard work" "due to fan demands" etc.

Also some of those things listed suggest the game/engine is pretty poor or strangely limited if true.

Some irony in this "32-bit executable - TS4 is not 64-bit" when the requirements list a 64 bit OS and 4GB of RAM. If it really is only 32 bit it will only be able to access 4GB of RAM including GPU/graphics RAM so 4GB of system RAM can not be fully utilised.

If such things from that list are true this seems like quite a mess with lots of room for speculation, the kind people love to draw in regard to EA, deservedly. They might not be doing the "power of the cloud" nonsense like they did with Sim City, though is seems like there is other nonsense in there.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 15, 2014, 04:22 NetHead

btallas wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 20:57:
...Weird to call out microsoft when they do the same when they can.

Yup, pot and kettle situation. Though have to say at least they aren't making ridiculously stupid and transparent statements like Microsoft regarding resolution, the way they're going on it's either complete stupidity (or treating their customers as such) or utter ignorance about tech relevant to their industry.

News Comments > System Shock 2 Turns 15
23. Re: System Shock 2 Turns 15 Aug 12, 2014, 13:05 NetHead

Task wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:05:
Bioshocks are just poor imitators. Nothing compares to the horror of playing System Shock 2 for the first time..

I'd say Bioshock can generally hold it's own but to me it never felt like a spiritual successor to System Shock, it just isn't on the same level.

The keyword there I'd say is horror, I can even still remember the horror (joy) of playing the System Shock 2 demo, nevermind the whole game. System Shock did great with it's whole horror and thriller aspect, Bioshock is more of an attempted thriller with zero horror.

On the System Shock note I always end up thinking of Routine which does look like a great spiritual successor. Strangely the site seems to be down (http://www.routinegame.com) but there are still videos on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/LunarSof/videos)

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Havok Providing Technology for.... Aug 12, 2014, 12:47 NetHead

Can't really put down Havok (especially when there's stuff like PhysX running around) though it's a bit sad that all these large companies haven't made some move to all help improve and push some open physics that would benefit them all and the industry as a whole.

With the amount of money, resources and talent all these huge companies have, they could each contribute what would be a relatively minute amount for them to something like Bullet Physics, or even together start their own open physics, ala-OpenGL, and positively raise the bar for all their own games in the process.

With such clout and widespread usage it would also be enough to get hardware vendors to fully support it, even nVidia would have to or get left behind.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
21. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 12, 2014, 12:28 NetHead

"Microsoft is fully dedicated to PC gaming and will as always continue to support and".......puke.................

News Comments > Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars
3. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 11:03 NetHead

From a consumer point of view I don't see the point to this or even any of the hoopla and news about it.

So what if something is started with the name "Sierra", it's nothing more than milking a name and chances are more potential to disappoint than anything else due to nostalgia around this name. While ultimately run by and for the Activision cash machine.

"Sierra’s goal is to find and work with gifted up-and-coming indie developers working on their own amazing projects or who are passionate about working on great Sierra IP,"

I also think that quote reveals quite a bit, though may just be reading to much into it. What's so great about getting up-and-coming indie developers working on loved and established "Sierra" I.P, shouldn't something like that be done by someone with a relevant track record and understanding of said I.P rather than the "up-and-coming". Seems illogical to let some unknown develop a game for an I.P you supposedly hold in high regard.

Fully aware of my own jaded cynicism, I can't help wondering if this isn't more about trying to ensnare the "up-and-coming" and possibly successful new I.P, especially in these days when it's becoming ever easier for these up-and-coming indies to release their games without any need for deals with traditional publishers. Even the consoles seem to be making at least some effort for get indie games on their platforms.

This seems more like an attempt to mimic what the music industry has and the way they sign on the (snatch) up-and-coming talent.

News Comments > Dungeons 2 Announced
3. Re: Dungeons 2 Announced Aug 7, 2014, 13:04 NetHead

Jamil20 wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 11:55:
Did they even finish the first one? I thought that was a bug riddled mess?

I vaguely remember giving it a go and all I remember, being a fan of Dungeon Keeper, was complete disappointment. Won't be paying attention to this unless it gets solid reviews and praise all round.

News Comments > Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds
8. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 13:01 NetHead

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 11:25:
"We tried to screw people over, and got caught, so now we have to pretend to care about you and give refunds, dammit."

I don't know, maybe I'm just to skeptical and becoming jaded about the gaming industry. I wouldn't be surprised if nonsense like this is all planned.

Perhaps they deliberately do this deceptive crap for extra sales knowing they may or may not be called out on it. If they are called out they already have a "we value and listen to our fans.." speech ready and if they aren't all the more easy money. Either way they may think they come out with more profit and basically free publicity about them "listening to their fans"...

News Comments > The Expendabros
10. Re: The Expendabros Aug 6, 2014, 09:06 NetHead

Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 08:56:
They presumably got money as part of The Expendables 3 marketing campaign...

I seriously doubt that, their stuff is a typical example of how to get away with using another's property without having to pay, be licensed, or have any kind of permission.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 31, 2014, 22:09 NetHead

HARDOCP merely links to the teardown at https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+Rift+Development+Kit+2+Teardown/27613

Don't see the point in linking to a link that only links to the.......

News Comments > Gearbox Fights Aliens Lawsuit
11. Re: Gearbox Fights Aliens Lawsuit Jul 31, 2014, 21:57 NetHead

ViRGE wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 21:47:
They argue that as the developer they should not be held accountable for the game and it's marketing, which were the responsibility of publisher SEGA.
That is admittedly a sound argument. SEGA would indeed be responsible for any advertising and any shenanigans thereof.

I wouldn't so quick to pain things black and white, for all we know Sega used video/footage provided by Gearbox. Do we even know that advertising was both the responsibility and done by Sega, sure I would presume so but you know what they say about presumption, even then back to did Gearbox provide the video.

The simple fact is we don't know enough about what happened and/or enough about the contracts to make any such conclusions.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 11:22 NetHead

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:07:

Woman files $123M suit against Facebook over photoshopped nude photos.

Hope she wins that and more in a civil suit.

First let me say I can't stand Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus or any of that so called, social, crap. I could easily rant on about that inordinately.

Still even I, who wouldn't give a fart if all those things died horribly, think her managing to successfully sue for this (what she wants for the reasons stated) is insane and completely stupid.

I would love to see Facebook and friends tumble like a house of cards on the highway but this lawsuit is just absurd.

News Comments > F1 2014 & 2015 Announced
5. Re: F1 2014 & 2015 Announced Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 NetHead

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 10:32:
Raptor wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 10:26:
Now it seems to be more about the "flash" and less about substance.

You just summed up every game by Codemasters, ever

I have to disagree, I remember playing an old Collin McRae Rally that barely had any "flash" and focused entirely on the racing and the car.

That said I can't stomach their newer stuff, it's all pomp and circumstance, catch phrases and slang. I actually felt embarrassed trying to play their last rally game I tried not to mention incredibly annoyed.

When I fire up a racing game it's because I want to race a car, be it arcade or sim like. I don't care about or want some stupid style crap or story drama. Considering that and the state of racing games lately I haven't enjoyed one in years. Need for Speed turned into a drama queen show and Codemasters rally games turned into something for loud mouthed, insecure, ego driven mico-phalluses.

I do have some hope in Project Cars though.

News Comments > Where Crytek Stands
7. Re: Where Crytek Stands Jul 30, 2014, 20:19 NetHead

These PR statements are almost as much a mess as the company itself even contradicting itself sometimes.

Also "online publisher" what exactly do they mean by that. Are they only going to be releasing their products online as in no retail copies or, the far more ridiculous, they plan on being an online publisher/distributer and take on the likes of Steam, GOG, Desura, etc, etc, etc.

If they don't have the business sense to make game development profitable they don't have a snowball's hope in hell in that space where customers don't like "subscribing" to multiple services. The only reason the likes of EA and Ubisoft could do it was because they have a plethora of games they completely control.

Also their whole online thing won't do them any favours on the consoles and if they're relying on the PC side they may have a hard time after repeatedly and openly giving it the giant finger alienating many of even their most long time fans.

I'm really confused about what their intentions are because nothing they're saying makes sense. One thing I'm pretty sure of though is they'll be trimming a lot more fat and they'll probably have people jumping ship even if their jobs are currently safe while getting new employees will be difficult especially with all this news about people not having been paid. They may even end up having to over pay people to work for them who are only there for the over sized paycheck while it lasts. Don't know how far they're going to sink before pulling their head out of their arse but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up as a subsidiary.

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
2. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 13:07 NetHead

How much did they have to pay Deep Silver?  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
3. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 29, 2014, 20:41 NetHead

I think they need to throw in some more epic wank words and phrases because I managed to hold back the vomit until closing flash player. It's better to watch that on mute.

As for the game, I'll be waiting for first hand experience. I don't expect it to be as good as Dragon Age, especially not after that sequel, though it may still end up good.

News Comments > 2K's BioShock Tease?
7. Re: 2K's BioShock Tease? Jul 24, 2014, 11:02 NetHead

Task wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 09:27:
Come on just do system shock 3 already. Enough of the linear roller coaster bioshocks.

What do you think System Shock 3 would be like if they did it now...

I'd have higher hopes for http://routinegame.com/

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 24, 2014, 08:52 NetHead

Okay, the "QuakeCon Wrap-up" is on www.elderscrollsonline.com. Seems rather desperate.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 23, 2014, 22:41 NetHead

DangerDog wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 17:43:
Apple is the new Prenda Law

New? Wasn't it Apple what patented, or at least tried to patent "slide to unlock", something which was being done in the physical world since before doors had hinges.

As far as I know Apple is by far the worse at this crap, hell I think they even tried it on "rounded corners" or some crap like that.

Though that said, it's not entirely Apple's fault, it's the system. Companies will do whatever they can, whatever they can get away with.

I also wouldn't expect such nonsense to stop in certain countries any time soon, especially in the ones that have legalised certain forms of corruption hence it is no longer "corruption"...

90 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo