Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for wrlwnd

Real Name wrlwnd   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wrlwnd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 25, 2010, 16:22
Total Comments 141 (Novice)
User ID 55483

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
27. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 23, 2011, 19:26 wrlwnd

Just picked up Portal 2 for $10.

Now that's the right price.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC
23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 22, 2011, 19:35 wrlwnd

Krovven wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 19:21:
Matshock wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 18:13:
Kosumo wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 17:28:
Is the 'broken and buggy' only on ati card or nividia too?

Sound to me just as likely to be graphic card driver problems?

Utterly, utterly busted.

Having DX11 drivers that aren't shit would help but not solve all of B:AC's problems.

I'm hanging it up until a good patch- back to BF3.

Uhh no it's not totally and utterly busted. I dont have a Dx11 card, nor do I have Crossfire. Game plays absolutely fine, one of the few that have released for PC this season and I've had zero problems with.

Seems Crossfire and SLi support have been a huge problem in the last few months for both nVidia and AMD, with AMD having even greater issues with their drivers on top of that.

So far most of the people in this thread are the usual suspects just bitching about what they have read elsewhere and haven't even played the game. Overon being the most obvious, first post with childish blanket insult and now asking if it's another lazy port.

Uh, if you don't have a DX11 card, then how do you know DX11 isn't busted?

Oh, it's the "it works for me so everything's great" fanboy chant.

Good for you.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 22, 2011, 15:29 wrlwnd

Overon wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 14:28:
Only fools or people who are very patient buy games at launch.

I'm very patient, which is why I don't buy games at launch.

I agree about the fools part.

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Nov 10, 2011, 11:36 wrlwnd

Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 18:51:
wrlwnd wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 16:01:

So your point is?

It's pretty obvious - You are cheap.

Which is fine. Whatever floats your boat.

And exactly what am I missing out on by not spending like you?

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2011, 16:01 wrlwnd

Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 15:42:
wrlwnd wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 15:36:
Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 08:11:
wrlwnd wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 16:20:
PHJF wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 13:56:
Waiting 6 months to buy a game on the cheap is fine and all... unless the game is genuinely good (and worth MSRP), at which point you're just fucking over the developers. Nobody cares how many units a game has sold during its 6th month of release, least of all the suits paying the developers.

I didn't realize game developers were charity cases. I buy games based on entertainment value, not on charity.

My current break-even point on a game is $1 per hour for being entertained. So if I pay $30 for a game, I expect at least 30 hours of decent gameplay.

I think games like Skyrim match that value pretty easily right out of the gate, but with everything else I'm playing and the Elder Scrolls history of patches / good mods, it just makes sense to wait.

OTOH, Portal 2 didn't come close to matching that value at release. I still havent' bought it, but it's getting closer.

$1 per hour?
So you just play puzzle games? And watch free television rather than cable? And read encyclopedias?

I don't even get $1/hr from most books I buy, let alone something as complex and labor-intensive as a video game.

Then you're getting ripped off.

That are LOTS of good games that give you at least $1 / hour value. Some out of the gate, some within a few months.

It ain't that hard to find them. Off the top of my head games that have met that criteria include Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol (got it for about $10), Far Cry 2 (got it for $5), Just Cause 2, Batman Arkham Asylum.

It ain't rocket science.

Again, so you never watch movies? Don't have cable? Don't eat at restaurants? Go to plays? Concerts? Read very slowly?

Or you hold your favorite hobby to an irrational standard you don't hold other things to?

I don't go out to movies. They're quite the rip off.

Instead I get Blu-Ray on Netflix for $10 per month. Two of us watch each disc at about $1.25 per disc. So that's about 32 cents per hour.

We have cable. For the number of hours the two of us watch it, I'd say that comes out at about 75 cents per hour.

If I buy a book for $7 to $10, I'm usually through it in about 20 hours of reading. So that's about 50 cents per hour.

So your point is?

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2011, 15:36 wrlwnd

Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 08:11:
wrlwnd wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 16:20:
Waiting 6 months to buy a game on the cheap is fine and all... unless the game is genuinely good (and worth MSRP), at which point you're just fucking over the developers. Nobody cares how many units a game has sold during its 6th month of release, least of all the suits paying the developers.

I didn't realize game developers were charity cases. I buy games based on entertainment value, not on charity.

My current break-even point on a game is $1 per hour for being entertained. So if I pay $30 for a game, I expect at least 30 hours of decent gameplay.

I think games like Skyrim match that value pretty easily right out of the gate, but with everything else I'm playing and the Elder Scrolls history of patches / good mods, it just makes sense to wait.

OTOH, Portal 2 didn't come close to matching that value at release. I still havent' bought it, but it's getting closer.

$1 per hour?
So you just play puzzle games? And watch free television rather than cable? And read encyclopedias?

I don't even get $1/hr from most books I buy, let alone something as complex and labor-intensive as a video game.

Then you're getting ripped off.

That are LOTS of good games that give you at least $1 / hour value. Some out of the gate, some within a few months.

It ain't that hard to find them. Off the top of my head games that have met that criteria include Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol (got it for about $10), Far Cry 2 (got it for $5), Just Cause 2, Batman Arkham Asylum.

It ain't rocket science.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 16:20 wrlwnd

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 12:51 wrlwnd

I wait a month or four after a single-player game is released to read the reviews, wait for the patches, and get a cheaper price.

Then again I don't have the need for immediate gratification like a lot of gamers do these days.

It's called growing up.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Reviews
3. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Reviews Nov 8, 2011, 11:18 wrlwnd

Haven't bought a CoD game since the first Modern Warfare.

Have zero interest in this one.

News Comments > NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues
41. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Nov 1, 2011, 09:03 wrlwnd

PropheT wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 14:18:
Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 14:11:
Send them your videocard??? I have never heard such a thing. What, they don't have any Nvidia Geforce videocards laying around there at Nvidia?

They'll have reference boards, it's possible the problem is with modifications other manufacturers have added to the cards later and that's what they want to see.

So maybe, they should, ummm, buy some of the boards they're hearing problems about??

News Comments > Take On Helicopters Takes Off
8. Re: Take On Helicopters Takes Off Oct 27, 2011, 23:28 wrlwnd

Wildone wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 22:25:
that was circa 2001 dude. Try Arma II

Uh, Arma II sounds the same.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Oct 27, 2011, 11:12 wrlwnd

briktal wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 11:03:
The IGN thing sounds like a minor issue with one point in a review was twisted into pretty standard small-guy sympathy marketing. Who is supposed to be the bad guy in this?

Yeah, take the IGN side on this.

No wonder they get away with crap like this when people are so clueless and forgiving.

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Oct 27, 2011, 11:11 wrlwnd

edited to add quote below  

News Comments > No Cause for Just Cause 3 Rumor
2. Re: No Cause for Just Cause 3 Rumor Oct 27, 2011, 11:03 wrlwnd

Bummer  

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Next Year?
6. Re: Just Cause 3 Next Year? Oct 26, 2011, 23:04 wrlwnd

Dang I hope this is true.

Loved JC2.

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
129. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 23:31 wrlwnd

Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 22:28:
As for the trade off, I do not belive that happened because of the limitations of Tech5. It is the result of the game being built to accomodate consoles, and because it is one giant texture redoing that texture in hires to accomodate the superior power of the PC isnt that easy, they have to redo the enitre map, not just a bunch of small pre made textures.

I think idTech5 is limited regardless of whether the target is a console or PC. Even if it was targeting strictly PC's, in order to get a decent resolution for non-repeating textures would involve over 100 Gigabytes of compressed data. Getting that data to a gamer's PC is just not practical yet. And probably not practical for at least 5 to 10 years. Now if they wanted to proceduraly generate a lot of the textures, that would be a different story, but I believe Carmack specifically said they don't do that.

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
88. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 09:43 wrlwnd

Jerykk wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 07:21:
Agreed. Technically, RAGE may have completely unique textures but it doesn't really feel like it when the textures all look so similar. And that's really the inherent problem with the whole idea; if you want to maintain some semblance of thematic consistency, you're going to have a lot of similar textures. There's no way around it. 99.9% of players won't even notice that the textures are slightly different. Nobody is going to carefully compare the textures of every rock or wall they see. I just can't really see any game benefiting from this technology.

I've been saying this on the Steam forums since the game came out, but the fanboys over there are too blinded by devotion to JC to care.

Nobody really notices or cares that this rock has a slightly different texture than that rock or that this mountain has a slightly different texture than that mountain. But people DO easily notice blurry textures. Why Carmack thought this was a good way to go is beyond me. It makes no sense.

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
98. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 2, 2011, 23:36 wrlwnd

Slashman wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 00:38:
wrlwnd wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 00:15:
Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 17:12:
Whore yourself some more why don't you, Johnny? Going to be playing on the 360 too while you're at it?

Get a life, moron.

Some of us (me) actually have both a gaming PC and a console, and have no problem with a game being (gasp!) released on both.

It's the content that matters, not the platform. Duh.

Not trying to defend Cutter here or anything but...seriously? 'It's the content that matters, not the platform?'

I mean...you think it doesn't matter when the quality of content is directly influenced by the obvious limitations of an old platform?

I don't have a beef with you owning both platforms...but you'd have to be living in some alternate dimension to believe that what we get from multiplatform games isn't diminished for the PC by the fact that the lead SKU for development is a console.

Uh, you actually want to blame the consoles for that?

Really?

As if a development team is incapable of delivering quality content on both?

So that's the consoles fault??

Really????

97. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 2, 2011, 23:34 wrlwnd

Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 17:12:
Whore yourself some more why don't you, Johnny? Going to be playing on the 360 too while you're at it?

Poor widdle Cutter can't stand the fact that some folks may actually enjoy playing games on consoles, and that they could actually be sold on both consoles AND PC's!

Too bad.

50. removed Oct 2, 2011, 00:15 wrlwnd

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 2, 2011, 12:27.

141 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo