Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Esoteric

Real Name Esoteric   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Esoteric
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 19, 2010, 10:00
Total Comments 409 (Amateur)
User ID 55469

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Patched
7. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Patched Nov 30, 2010, 00:51 Esoteric

You just breathed new life into MMOs! Just like stadiums being sponsored/paid for by huge companies, so can MMO quests!

Just imagine it now... The Lord of the Rings Online presents the Fedex Epic Quest Line, now with 50% more Orc Decapitations!

I'm actually looking forward to this patch, though. Have a 43 Loremaster (only paid for one month to unlock bags, traits, etc.) I like that I can take a break for a month or 3 and go back to it anytime. You never have that feeling with a subscription.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Drakensang Online Announced
2. Re: Drakensang Online Announced Nov 30, 2010, 00:40 Esoteric

I've never really played a "real" game in a browser that I thought was good. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the deck is stacked against it.  

News Comments > Rift Beta Friday
6. Re: Rift Beta Friday Nov 30, 2010, 00:37 Esoteric

I signed up for the beta (like I do for most MMOs), just to try it out. I don't know much about the game, but it seems like they've stated that they're focusing more on PvE than PvP. Not sure where all the hate is coming from unless you've actually played it (I haven't).

As for using the beta as a marketing tool as opposed to testing purposes, it's quite easy to do both.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Nov 27, 2010, 17:52 Esoteric

I like it a lot, but I liked HoMM III a lot, too. KB doesn't have base/town building like HoMM does. There's actually a demo of King's Bounty: Armored Princess on Steam, that's probably the best way to find out.

EDIT: Doh, too late. Hope you enjoy! I particularly enjoy the graphics and the way the land is set up to explore. Very whimsical-like.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Nov 24, 2010, 18:05 Esoteric

I put Portal 2 on my wish list as #1. Hopefully that gains me favor with the contest gods and allows me to win.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Plans
17. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Plans Nov 23, 2010, 09:21 Esoteric

If I play the 10 day trial thing, are the patch changes included in that? The revamped starting zones and such?  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Extended
6. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Extended Nov 18, 2010, 23:51 Esoteric

Icewind wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 23:37:
StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 22:13:
FREE TRIAL!!!! (after you buy the game for $50)!!!!!!

I know 12 million people disagree with me, but MMOs should either cost $50 to "buy" and then have DLC or be free to download and then cost a monthly fee. They should never cost money to "buy" and then cost more money monthly.

Give it about 3-4 years and every single MMO will be following that rule.

I think you may be right, but it really depends on what kind of content the company puts out. LOTRO, in my opinion, has struck a fairly good balance on different ways to pay for an MMORPG.

And FFXIV is a horrible game, and the redemption of it is very improbable. There are too many horrible design decisions already implemented.

News Comments > Mass Effect Online?
17. Re: Mass Effect Online? Nov 18, 2010, 16:58 Esoteric

If it's an actual multiplayer shooter, they better have a new engine in the works.  

News Comments > Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return
12. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 04:07 Esoteric

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 00:19:
Nerian wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 23:43:
Is there at least one prior example of Lifetime subscriptions kicking ass? HELL YES!

My wife and I both have lifetime subs. We paid 400$ up front. The game's been running for 43 months. 43 x 14.99 x 2 = 1289.14 - 400 = $889.14 saved in monthly subscription fees alone. Add in the approximately 50$ in just random crap they've thrown in over the years, basically pushing 1400$ value for 400$. That's pretty kick-ass, and we're still benefitting from it.

We get 400 points a month, they're going to sell expansions through the online store. That means that we will get those expansions at a significant discount when they're released, if not outright for free. We've unlocked character slots, extra storage space...all things that other people have paid out the arse for since the game went F2P, we got for free.

You're still playing LOTRO though, sadly.

Why sadly? LOTRO is actually a very good MMO, and keeps getting better. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. The landscape graphics can be simply amazing.

11. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 04:04 Esoteric

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 21:07:
Esoteric wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 21:00:
They're just grasping at straws right now. DC Universe Online is going to take away the rest of their players.

DC Universe has 2 things going for it. 1) The Unreal Engine which makes the game silky smooth and slightly better looking then Champions Online (with HUGE outdoor areas), and 2) The DC name.
Character Creation right now in DCUO is worse then City of Heroes/Villains right now. Not sure if that's due to not implementing them yet or what.

They made a conscious design decision to limit the character creation options in favor of aesthetic loot you gain through your missions in the world. So instead of picking one look at the beginning and having it be the same through the entire game, your costume will evolve based on random loot drops and particular missions.

Personally, I kind of like what they decided, as it makes getting new items interesting. And once you "try on" an item, you keep that look in your "cosmetic inventory" forever, so you'll have dozens of looks to choose from, for each inventory slot.

So yes, character creation looks are gimped in the beginning, but not in the long run.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Update
3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 13, 2010, 21:01 Esoteric

I'm just going to skip this completely and wait for GW2.  

2. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 13, 2010, 21:00 Esoteric

They're just grasping at straws right now. DC Universe Online is going to take away the rest of their players.  

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
1. Re: Evening Screenshots Nov 10, 2010, 23:25 Esoteric

So far, a "friend" of mine has been pleasantly surprised by the beta. He says the combat is great, very action-oriented. And Gotham looks awesome.  

News Comments > Record Entropia Universe Sale
2. Re: Record Entropia Universe Sale Nov 10, 2010, 23:20 Esoteric

Nothing has instrinsic value. Value only exists when people choose to bestow value on things. This is why pixels can be just as valuable as real objects - they can cause the exact same sensations in the brain.  

News Comments > TF2 Maintenance Tuesday
19. Re: TF2 Maintenance Tuesday Nov 6, 2010, 19:08 Esoteric

The game is still fun. You can still rock with default weapons. People complain too much. You don't have to touch any of the new stuff if you don't want to.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Delay?
13. Re: The Old Republic Delay? Nov 6, 2010, 19:04 Esoteric

Guild Wars 2!  

News Comments > "Light at the End of the Tunnel" for APB?
5. Re: Oct 25, 2010, 22:13 Esoteric

I got a free Mass Effect 2 out of the deal from EA, so I'm okay. I still think the game has potential as a team-based shooter, not an MMO. It never should have been marketed as an MMO. It did have some very fun moments to it.  

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Oct 23, 2010, 02:10 Esoteric

Mutha ******* crocodiles on a plane!  

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Intro
18. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Intro Oct 18, 2010, 17:37 Esoteric

After the patch, does that mean I could try the trial and see the lower level Cataclysm changes? Most likely won't play it, but I'm a bit curious to see how everything's changed.  

News Comments > Valve Denies Steam Trade-in Plans
42. Re: Valve Denies Steam Trade-in Plans Oct 15, 2010, 01:06 Esoteric

The most expensive game from Valve on Steam is The Orange Box at 30 bucks, which is still a great deal. Everything else of THEIRS is 20 or less. So yes, I think they have decent prices.

They don't decide the prices for other company's products, so it's wrong to blame them. Publishers don't want to always offer cheap prices on Steam because that would cause problem with the brick and mortar retailers.

Oh, and Pachter is an idiot.

409 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo