Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Esoteric

Real Name Esoteric   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Esoteric
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 19, 2010, 10:00
Total Comments 421 (Amateur)
User ID 55469

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion
9. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 3, 2011, 22:40 Esoteric

Any game (and anything at all, really) is reducible to a few simple-sounding rules and actions. If you don't think MMOs have changed at all in the past 15 years, then there really isn't a point in having a discussion, as it's obvious you've already made up your mind and are unwilling to change it.

Some people like MMOs. Some people don't. I don't particulary like RTS games. They, too, are capable of being described in a very simplistic, repetitive manner. But I don't really care if other people like them. Different strokes for different folks.

EDIT: Oh, I think this site still has some keys: http://www.zam.com/giveaways/rift.html

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 3, 2011, 22:26 Esoteric

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 22:20:
Esoteric wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 21:40:
Rift is a very fun, polished MMO, by the way, if you like MMOs.

If by MMO you mean the Everquest/WoW style of MMO, yes. MMOs in general could be and should be so much more, but aren't.

Well, it does unabashedly take some good things from several MMOs, and then adds a few good things of its own. I don't really consider that a bad thing. It's a genre, and genres evolve gradually. You still left click to shoot in all FPS, and move with WASD (or whatever your keybinds are).

Rift is a nice option if you're not currently playing an MMO but want to, or you're not really enjoying yourself in your current one. It's a new world to explore, has a very interesting class system (PvP has endless possibilities with builds), and so far Rifts are an actual fun version of Public Quests. So you're correct that it doesn't revolutionize the genre, but it is fun to play (for me), and that's what's important in a game. Sometimes people forget that.

4. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 3, 2011, 22:10 Esoteric

There are tons of VIP keys floating around the internets. Each VIP key has 25 uses, so if you look around for one you'll probably find one. If I do come across another, I'll post it here. They were stress testing the servers in a big way last beta event.  

2. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 3, 2011, 21:40 Esoteric

I like TF2 and Rift. I do not have a problem with this.

Queue all the people complaining it's not vanilla TF2 anymore even though they don't play anyway.

Rift is a very fun, polished MMO, by the way, if you like MMOs.

Here's a beta key that may still have some uses: QHHW-KDYK-YPDY-TRRH-YHJ3

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2011, 12:55 Esoteric

NED?!  

News Comments > DC Universe Online Patched
25. Re: DC Universe Online Patched Jan 24, 2011, 00:52 Esoteric

I played this game in beta for quite a bit, and if you're used to MMOs and FPS in general on the PC, m/kb is completely fine. I never once thought to myself that I could do better or it would be easier with a gamepad.

So if any is on the fence because of the gamepad vs. m/kb issue, don't be. M/kb control is still more nuanced and advantageous in gameplay. The only place it's not the most effective is the UI, when you're not actually fighting/moving, and just looking things up.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed
14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed Jan 23, 2011, 12:04 Esoteric

GW2 has no official release date. They're taking the "it's done when it's done" approach.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed
1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed Jan 22, 2011, 16:02 Esoteric

I guess that narrows my class choice down to warrior or necromancer.  

News Comments > WAKFU Closed Beta This Month
3. Re: WAKFU Closed Beta This Month Jan 21, 2011, 20:20 Esoteric

Shaq Fu?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2011, 11:34 Esoteric

I still can't believe they beat the Patriots. I don't think the Patriots can believe it either. Being a Steelers fan, I was rooting for the Jets, as I think the Patriots are a better team overall (no offense Jets fans!).  

News Comments > Free Champions Online This Month
15. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 17:40 Esoteric

H4WT wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 13:19:
Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 12:50:
and GW2 suceeds.

We'll see about that. All GW2 has released are blog hype posts decrying the rest of the MMO industry (thus building rapport with gamers who are burnt out and tired of the same-old, a common PR tactic), some screenshots, and maybe a video or two.

I remember when SWTOR was considered the new herald of MMOs before they actually released anything that included actual content.

I'll believe it when it's in my hands.

Um, GW2 has had a PLAYABLE DEMO at several conventions. That's a little more than "screenshots and a video or two."

News Comments > DC Universe Online Trailer
7. Re: DC Universe Online Trailer Jan 11, 2011, 13:07 Esoteric

I had no problems playing it with m/kb on a PC in the beta. The combat is fast-paced and does have more in common with an action game than a traditional MMO. There isn't a TON of customize choices when you create your character, but that's because they decided they wanted you to receive loot that altered your appearance as the game progresses.  

News Comments > ArenaNet Retrospective
1. Re: ArenaNet Retrospective Jan 10, 2011, 15:34 Esoteric

Interesting video, seems like a group of people that actually love playing and making games. A good vibe within a company goes a long way. They also have an awesome art team for GW2.  

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Revenues Triple
2. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Revenues Triple Jan 7, 2011, 11:20 Esoteric

I agree that the majority of F2P MMOs in the past haven't been very good, but the landscape is changing. LOTRO is still a quality MMO, they now just allow users different methods of paying. You can still choose to sub monthly, or you can buy the areas one at a time. LOTRO is F2P done right, and I think you'll start seeing the trend becoming more common place in both new MMOs and old.

WoW is a Pay-to-Play MMO, and that has an extremely high number of kids and morons. LOTRO players are much, much more mature and friendly in general. Making something pay-to-play doesn't keep out the kids and morons.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2011, 01:34 Esoteric

I don't think STOR is going to do that well long-term either, but it's not because of WoW. It's because the graphics are plastic-looking crap, the gameplay doesn't seem to offer anything new (except perhaps focus on single player...why a sub?), and it's Star Wars, so any good ideas they may have has to go through lore lawyers. I respect Bioware as a company in general, but what I've seen so far has not impressed me in the least.

Now Guild Wars 2, on the other hand, which already has a plethora of information, demo videos, design philosophy details available...that has impressed me. And I only have to buy it once.

News Comments > Million Tank March
3. Re: Million Tank March Jan 4, 2011, 14:32 Esoteric

That actually looks like it might be fun.  

News Comments > APB Reloaded Beta May Launch Next Month
7. Re: APB Reloaded Beta May Launch Next Month Jan 4, 2011, 14:28 Esoteric

They've already stated that the relaunched version won't have a monthly subscription.  

News Comments > On Bad Company 2 Stats
4. Re: On Bad Company 2 Stats Dec 30, 2010, 03:18 Esoteric

To be fair, that IS a lot of actions that need to be simultaneously computed. I know they planned the event ahead of time, so of course they're blameworthy, but still. Millions of events each day.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 11:58 Esoteric

I'm not sure if it's in yet, but I did find this:

Curtis Johnson – Game Designer: Guild Wars 2 includes a full Marketplace for players, which will differ from the usual MMO auction house in a number of ways. The biggest and most important difference is GW2’s Marketplace supports postings from both buyers and sellers. You might put your sword up for sale, then offer 100 gold for the specific axe you’re looking for without having to find any specific seller. The market can display the history of average value and trends for an item, making it easy to determine a fair value for your goods. It might be worth waiting to sell your item, depending if the price is rising or falling.

Items you put up for sale may sell while you’re offline, and the funds will be deposited in your account bank. You must be in game to put a new item up for sale, but you will be able to browse the market, bid from your account bank, or cancel your own auctions and offers while logged in to a web browser without running the game.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 28, 2010, 11:47 Esoteric

I remember using some of those AOL CDs for coasters... They were EVERYWHERE.  

421 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo