Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Esoteric

Real Name Esoteric   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Esoteric
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 19, 2010, 10:00
Total Comments 412 (Amateur)
User ID 55469

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > APB-Reloaded Beta Keys This Week
2. Re: APB-Reloaded Beta Keys This Week Feb 21, 2011, 12:31 Esoteric

Well, I think a lot of the first chance applicants were previous owners of the game. As a previous owner, I'd assume you had a vested interested in the game being good, as you paid for it already and might like to play again. I applied, hopefully I get in. The game definitely had some fun moments. It definitely wasn't worth a monthly sub, though.

So far the devs seem like they at least understand the problems and the game from a design perspective. Hopefully they are able to tweak the necessary things to make it more fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Art of Video Games Voting
2. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 14, 2011, 21:23 Esoteric

The site isn't working very well for me. Takes a while to load each era, and for the voting to go through.  

News Comments > Rift Trailer
1. Re: Rift Trailer Feb 14, 2011, 20:17 Esoteric

That's actually a pretty bad trailer. Here are some better videos (watchable in 1080p):

General promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fislS4T9d0

Guardian side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tevzEc6IBaE

Defiant side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X216okYx1wM

News Comments > Portal 2 Trailer
1. Re: Portal 2 Trailer Feb 14, 2011, 13:32 Esoteric

Cute.  

News Comments > Gabe Newell Interview
1. Re: Gabe Newell Interview Feb 10, 2011, 10:44 Esoteric

I like Gabe. If he wants to implant sensors in my head for games, I'm all for it.  

News Comments > Warhammer Online Server Closures, Free Transfers
7. Re: Warhammer Online Server Closures, Free Transfers Feb 8, 2011, 16:26 Esoteric

Rift is going to be the deathblow to the few remaining players. It's already on skeleton crew/maintenance mode.  

News Comments > GamersGate on Steam Competition
3. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 7, 2011, 22:15 Esoteric

Competition is a good thing.  

News Comments > Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion
22. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 4, 2011, 01:59 Esoteric

justice7 wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 01:33:
really looking forward to trying this out tomorrow night

People are really saying this doesn't break any new ground? What about the pve invasions and fighting those off, while fighting Rifts?

That imo, sounds pretty friggen interesting.

It is, but the fun ones don't really start happening until mid-teens. If you played WAR, they're like public quests. Once you're near a rift area, or an area where boss mobs that spawned from rifts are walking, a "join public group" option opens up, so it's really easy to join with others to take it out. It's WAR public quests, except it's dynamic, random, moving, can take over areas if not fought back, and a lot more fun.

You can't just AFK anywhere in this game.

20. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 4, 2011, 00:44 Esoteric

Sepharo wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 00:37:
So that shit I scratched out was right?

I was invited to be invited?

Sigh.

If your account says a VIP key is applied, it's just a matter of time before you're sent an invite. They're doing it in waves, and there are tons of invites to send, and you just applied it, so expect it in the middle of the night or right before the event starts.

12. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 3, 2011, 23:03 Esoteric

Shok wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 22:53:
There's a big stress testing event on Rift starting tomorrow at 10AM PST and going through Monday 10AM. I played it some last week and it was ok but nothing ground breaking. I'm burned out on WoW at the moment and playing Rift didn't hook me at all. I just played to level 6 or so before I realized I wasn't doing much different than in WoW. I'll probably play some more this weekend just for shits but I know I won't be buying Rift come March 1st.

Also, I suppose it's time to uninstall TF2 as this Rift news will undoubtedly mean yet more big and unnecessary patch updates for TF2 on my slow connection.

Play up to 15 or more if you can. Seriously, the first event I played (beta 4, I think), I only leveled to 7ish, didn't even get out of the newbie tutorial zone. I didn't like it at all. Didn't impress me at all. The first zone is like an introduction to MMOs for someone who has never played one, which will be pretty boring to someone who IS familiar with them. Once I got to the mid-teens the game really started to grow on me. Grouping up with 50 people randomly to fight off huge invasions attacking your outpost just gets crazy.

10. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 3, 2011, 22:43 Esoteric

Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 22:37:
GW2 is set to change all that...finally.

I'm looking forward to GW2. Rift actually wasn't even on my radar, but I got in beta and found that I was having fun. My HOPE is that Rift will last me until GW2 comes out (or longer).

GW2 is looking to evolve the MMO genre, hopefully. It's looking really good so far.

9. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 3, 2011, 22:40 Esoteric

Any game (and anything at all, really) is reducible to a few simple-sounding rules and actions. If you don't think MMOs have changed at all in the past 15 years, then there really isn't a point in having a discussion, as it's obvious you've already made up your mind and are unwilling to change it.

Some people like MMOs. Some people don't. I don't particulary like RTS games. They, too, are capable of being described in a very simplistic, repetitive manner. But I don't really care if other people like them. Different strokes for different folks.

EDIT: Oh, I think this site still has some keys: http://www.zam.com/giveaways/rift.html

6. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 3, 2011, 22:26 Esoteric

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 22:20:
Esoteric wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 21:40:
Rift is a very fun, polished MMO, by the way, if you like MMOs.

If by MMO you mean the Everquest/WoW style of MMO, yes. MMOs in general could be and should be so much more, but aren't.

Well, it does unabashedly take some good things from several MMOs, and then adds a few good things of its own. I don't really consider that a bad thing. It's a genre, and genres evolve gradually. You still left click to shoot in all FPS, and move with WASD (or whatever your keybinds are).

Rift is a nice option if you're not currently playing an MMO but want to, or you're not really enjoying yourself in your current one. It's a new world to explore, has a very interesting class system (PvP has endless possibilities with builds), and so far Rifts are an actual fun version of Public Quests. So you're correct that it doesn't revolutionize the genre, but it is fun to play (for me), and that's what's important in a game. Sometimes people forget that.

4. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 3, 2011, 22:10 Esoteric

There are tons of VIP keys floating around the internets. Each VIP key has 25 uses, so if you look around for one you'll probably find one. If I do come across another, I'll post it here. They were stress testing the servers in a big way last beta event.  

2. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 3, 2011, 21:40 Esoteric

I like TF2 and Rift. I do not have a problem with this.

Queue all the people complaining it's not vanilla TF2 anymore even though they don't play anyway.

Rift is a very fun, polished MMO, by the way, if you like MMOs.

Here's a beta key that may still have some uses: QHHW-KDYK-YPDY-TRRH-YHJ3

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2011, 12:55 Esoteric

NED?!  

News Comments > DC Universe Online Patched
25. Re: DC Universe Online Patched Jan 24, 2011, 00:52 Esoteric

I played this game in beta for quite a bit, and if you're used to MMOs and FPS in general on the PC, m/kb is completely fine. I never once thought to myself that I could do better or it would be easier with a gamepad.

So if any is on the fence because of the gamepad vs. m/kb issue, don't be. M/kb control is still more nuanced and advantageous in gameplay. The only place it's not the most effective is the UI, when you're not actually fighting/moving, and just looking things up.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed
14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed Jan 23, 2011, 12:04 Esoteric

GW2 has no official release date. They're taking the "it's done when it's done" approach.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed
1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed Jan 22, 2011, 16:02 Esoteric

I guess that narrows my class choice down to warrior or necromancer.  

News Comments > WAKFU Closed Beta This Month
3. Re: WAKFU Closed Beta This Month Jan 21, 2011, 20:20 Esoteric

Shaq Fu?  

412 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo