Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NicoSugle

Real Name NicoSugle   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SectorEffector
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Maya, Softimage, Houdini and 3DSmax ( Naiad and Realflow too )I'm an FX TD / Artist Here's some of my workhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM80F_J-QHE
Homepage http://www.oculart.com
Signed On Jan 15, 2010, 01:52
Total Comments 500 (Apprentice)
User ID 55456

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 25, 2011, 15:20 SectorEffector

the_culture wrote on May 25, 2011, 11:20:
If there's a will, there's a way.

Easy.

I'm a 3D animator who's working at a good studio. ;?

you just need to fax them your w-2 and a paystub from the studio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 November Date Confirmed
21. Re: Modern Warfare 3 November Date Confirmed May 25, 2011, 13:54 SectorEffector

I'm sorry, are you the guy that likes Bulletstorm when I actually call out Cliffy? or did I strike a Call of Duty nerve?

either way,

1.) I even stated, I'm not making a blanket statement, just a artist buddy of mine said their lead animator was extremely cocky and pompus in person.

2.) When you work in a studio and realize what happens when money changes a person's creative attitudes, then talk. There are many great artist's and dev's who get cocky and their games become more or less IP dead ends.

On the other end of that spectrum, studios like Pixar maintain great work because they don't rest on their laurels. They literally have meetings to discuss, the specific topic of "not being cocky about their studio"

Treyarch has done a much better job with the franchise then Infinity Ward IMO.

Please Beamer, realize there are douche devs. John Romero is a douche for example, and that's an infallible truth. Cliffy is on his way there, I reserve my right to call a dev a douche.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Online Announced
13. Re: Ghost Recon Online Announced May 25, 2011, 05:38 SectorEffector

Dmitri_M wrote on May 24, 2011, 19:29:
Somehow when I saw this pop-up as a release and it only had "PC" next to the title I figured they'd were basically just going to package up the original GR (of course I somehow forgot about GWAR) and dump it online lazily. Which would have been mildly ok.

Instead, they've gone to the trouble to actually produce a GR branded Crysis knockoff console shooter that looks utterly shit for PC. Way to go. The problem with producing rubbish and making it "free" is it's still rubbish. No one is going to bother with it. They'll smugly sit around saying "see GR is dead on PC, they won't even play a free title" without acknowledging the reality..

Their recent killing off of R6 Ravenshield mods (a game released..hmm, 9 years ago?) really demonstrates how they're willing to milk these series for every last cent.

word.

Raven Shield and Ghost Recon were greats!

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 November Date Confirmed
16. Re: Modern Warfare 3 November Date Confirmed May 25, 2011, 02:01 SectorEffector

What you have here with the BF3 vs COD is simple.

Finally gamers are funneling towards the developer that clearly likes making fun games that make money, while one likes having fun making money making games. Not the same.

I'm not making a blanket statement to all the artists involved, but a buddy at my studio met a lead animator at Infinity Ward and he said he was a ginormious douche. He said he was utterly cocky, and upfront about it.

;/

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation May 25, 2011, 01:57 SectorEffector

I'll take a look. Can't wait to meet the devs  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 25, 2011, 01:37 SectorEffector

got my badge!

News Comments > Gold - Duke Nukem Forever
54. Re: It ain't over yet May 24, 2011, 20:24 SectorEffector

I want a copy, and I will cry if it's not fun.

ONLY expect fun.

and boatloads of interactivity.

rats in a microwave anyone?

I can quote GB on saying it has the ability to throw rats in microwaves.

News Comments > ARMA 3 Announced
56. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 24, 2011, 04:47 SectorEffector

It sounds like the Beaver and the Hamster are in on the ArmA madness together!

but ones a communist.

News Comments > Minecraft Beta Patch This Week
3. Re: Minecraft Beta Patch This Week May 24, 2011, 04:45 SectorEffector

Sepharo wrote on May 23, 2011, 23:56:
dubfanatic wrote on May 23, 2011, 23:32:
* Fixed submerged boats rising very very fast

Booooooo

Well I suppose if they fixed them moving very very fast now they'll only be very fast.

My elevator!!!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2011, 04:38 SectorEffector

Love that you can make them stop by shooting in the air.

That's an awesome feature

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2011, 19:23 SectorEffector

I have been busy with Witcher 2, anyone know if it's true that you can't pull out your firearm at any time? Or Just shoot some rounds into the sky to clear a crowd?  

News Comments > Bulletstorm DLC Released
19. Re: Bulletstorm DLC Released May 23, 2011, 18:10 SectorEffector

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2011, 17:30:
It's hard to really respond to something so rambling. Especially when you throw Blood out in a discussion about current FPS games.

For the record, I wouldn't really call those "invisible walls." Bulletstorm doesn't let you jump, so not letting you fall to your doom makes sense. An invisible wall is more somewhere that, within the rules of the game, you feel you should be able to go but for some reason can't. Within the rules of Bulletstorm it's pretty clear you can't jump off of cliffs. Seems like not having a jump button killed the game for you. Wacky.

So, your basic points are:
1) Blood is the best game ever
2) CliffyB sucks
3) Why can't I jump?

Cool.

No sir.

I'm saying blood came out how long ago and It's already got more innovative features per say then BS.

2.) Well yes absolutely he does. Do you keep up on the indie gaming scene at all? Or what Mark Reign said about how its "laughable" that indie dev's actually respond to input from their PAYING customers.

3.) Yea why can't Jump!?, It must be a Gears of War Dev thing

Oh wait Cliffy Had NOTHING to do with the Dev.

Too bad People can Fly's previous titles like Painkiller HAD Jump.

Then Cliffy makes a game with them and Jump is removed... hmmm

Methinks you're the confused one friend.

btw good job on reading my Blood portion I wrote and interpreting that as if I said Blood is a modern shooter... I was making a sarcastic joke that an older game has more features per say then the butthole shooting simulator.

It's good to know on YOUR LIST bulletstorm is one of the most innovative shooters you have played with its "NON-invisible-invisible-walls" that you call non-invisible, when they clearly are exactly fucking that. Invisible walls.

You can live in game developer la la land and think that those aren't invisible walls.

I know the difference between invisible walls where its the end of a terrain or edge of a map or Zone portal. When its a chasm leading down to a bottomless drop, or the edge of stairs that have no banister.. THAT'S A FUCKING INVISIBLE WALL.

I believe gamers should be able to accidentally fall off the cliff if they want, that's their prerogative. I hope you don't believe that choice detracts from the gaming experience or some other insane counter-argument.

You can't honestly really think I'm just some aimless asshole who wants this game to have a 0/10.

Say what you will friend, or acquaintance... but

BS is not worth $60,
It brings back the FPS genre.

Do you normally read critiques and assume the author must be rambling for ramble sake? Or that they somewhat care about the medium?

Deus Ex 2's universal ammo system for example, I "rambled" about and argued with fellow gamers. Back then I remember calling them nuts, and look how many games adopted that system today.

Do you think removing jump is not a biggie in an FPS?

I hope not

17. Re: Bulletstorm DLC Released May 23, 2011, 17:08 SectorEffector

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2011, 20:58:
Wow that was a long, obnoxious rant.

1) I found 1 hidden wall in the game. 1. I don't see how that's "tons of hidden walls." Serious Sam 2 had "tons of hidden walls." Bulletstorm had 1.

2) "Pedestrian" hahahahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

3) Again, I said it had better production values than Serious Sam. This tends to be something you pay for. Production values don't necessarily imply quality, but it does go beyond graphics. I don't see how you turn that into a really long rant and try to turn this into Transformers.

4) For godssake how much input do you think Cliff really had in this game? You claim to work for a developer, you should know that one guy doesn't have the time to create Gears of War 3, whatever Epic is doing next, and this game all at the same time.

You really don't seem to know much of anything, other than throw out comparisons to popular crap out there. You still haven't answered Jerykk's question about whether you've played the game, and somehow you think "John Caramack" has a good reputation when the only game he's released since 1999 is Doom 3.

Yea I played it.

1.) No invisible walls???

So when you're playing the level with the sideways skyscraper and theres a huge cliff below, how do you fall down accidently? Oh you don't because theres hidden walls everywhere.

You're an idiot if you think there was only 1.

Serious Sam lets you jump off the top of the stairs to the bottom, Bulletstorm doesn't let you.

I said Caramack has a Reputation. ONLY MEANING, he releases a game and it's going to get attention JUST because of his name. Not that the game will be GREAT. Same thing for Cliffy, and Cliffy was making MANY P.R. statements about the game as if IT WAS HIS. So I'm sorry you're too %@#T^in dumb to read how bad this guy really is.

With his " THIS GAMES GOING TO BLOW YOUR ASSES AWAY!"

He's bad for this industry now at this point.

Just like John Romero is.

You being unable to see that all of my points are perfectly valid in an industry where we are expected to pay $60 dollars for the game? I would be tooting a different horn if Cliffy didn't PR the game like crazy, and then charge $60 for a $29.99 title.

Don't give me any "it's $30 on DOD thats a deal"

IT WAS SOLD, for $60, and many poor people bought it for that, and the smart gamers regret it.

Bulletstorm is a 60 out of 100 at best with its ludicrous original
$60 price tag.

Anything else you can't seem to understand as a paying customer in an industry that's starting to shell you shit for your money?

16. Re: Bulletstorm DLC Released May 23, 2011, 16:58 SectorEffector

If you need anyone to write out a physical list of shooters that were more innovative than Bulletstorm then I already admit this will be a fruitless debate as you seem to be insane.

I'm a little ashamed anyone with Caleb as an icon, who has played Blood would eat up Bulletstorm.

Heres one for your list.

Blood 1. Way more fun and entertaining then Bulletstorm. Destructiable environments, lights that can be turned on, then destroyed so they flicker. Underwater environments, actual swimming in those environments. A much more fun library of enemies to fight.

And Lastly, A protagonist who I actually care about and or the story makes me like in an sort of way.

Sorry but Bulletstorm is bargin bin material, anyone else who really thinks it's anything close to a gem is wrong, just like a Music fan telling you Justin Beiber is great. We all don't want to tell Tweens that Beiber sucks, but we let them sit in their insanity and let them think it.

I'm glad you will just respond with that Blood is not nearly as innovative all because you can't kick a guy into spikes or shoot their butthole.

Easily.

News Comments > Carmageddon Countdown
27. Re: Carmageddon Countdown May 22, 2011, 06:18 SectorEffector

holy smokes this is epic news!  

51. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 20, 2011, 20:47 SectorEffector

"I can not find any redeeming value in computer simulations for real-world training."

oooohhhh I'm betting aviation is one I think actually aviation is the largest sector for simulators. I personally favor any airline pilots i've met that love playing flight sims to practice on their off time. I'm pretty sure they train AH-64 pilots / other mil-avaiation on using the 30mm gun in a Simulator before they ever fire off live ammunition.

I will admit, so candidly.

ArmA with a smoother engine but the same mechanics would be insane. Frostbyte ArmA
could be the end all.

Sidenote: I play full scale battles with air and land and infantry in the 60's per side and I get good FPS in ArmA II

9800GTS on i7
Shits even better in 3D.

I'm just glad you didn't say Operation Flashpoint: DR.

48. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 20, 2011, 18:08 SectorEffector

bigspender wrote on May 20, 2011, 03:55:
awesome graphics check
awesome vehicles check
being able to play the game cause the controls aren't shit... not check...

i really hope they make the controls more accessible - it doesn't have to be COD/BF controls (which are perfect if you ask me when it comes to fun shooters) I don't mind a bit of realism.

but the old ARMA's and even first flashpoint, the controls are so shit it feels like its a job and not a game. you aren't having fun, you are working.

Clearly not a diehard simulator fan. Gonna guess you played IL-Strumovok and gave up when you realized you don't hit A to fly faster and B to slow down.

Sometimes I really don't want battlefields controls.

Now smoothness in the movement, I'll definitely say ArmA's biggest flaw animation wise is the sluggishness.

Controls wise, I think its pretty expected for having so many options.

13. Re: Bulletstorm DLC Released May 20, 2011, 17:37 SectorEffector

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2011, 14:14:
You apparently think that high poly most mean production values "A biillion times higher"

You obviously don't know what production values are.

thats okay I only work at a studio where assets are literally created. I work with Maya specifically. Here I see photorealistic CG all day every day, and we have some artists at this studio that have worked on the Unreal engine for other companies doing contracting and even when I talk to them, they aren't impressed with the high poly rape that seemingly fascinates "pedestrians" Being able to speckle your level with high poly static meshes is NEVER a way to determine the actual production values.

At what point is a pretty level with TONS of invisible walls and the ability to shoot buttholes suddenly HIGH production values. These same production values also make bodies static models after they die and you can't even shoot the bodies or anything. ( You could do that in Painkiller which is the same Dev, so WTF. )

Don't try to ruse me up with "you obviously dont know". You don't know.

You're the one that bought that piece of shit and ate it up when its a half ass painkiller clone with a modified version of Hl2's physgun.

I'm gonna make a rough guess that you're the demographic that see's transformers and says, "WOW MICHAEL BAY IS SO EPIC!" "Spinning cameras and explosions, this MUST BE GOOD!"

all the while not realizing you just paid $10 ( or not more for 3D ) to watch a polished CG turd. But Hey you can say the same for justin beiber fans, they swear its good and that its not just TRITE produced crap. I meanwhile know firsthand ( esp cus I work in the film Industry) that game had one directive before production and Cliffy knew too and thats to MAKE MONEY.

Rest on your Laurels and you don't try to expand or develop the PC / gaming platforms anymore. You just want to make that quick buck again.

It really baffles me how bluesnewser's aren't at all aware at how cliffy ( one of the richest game devs in existence) BRAGS FOR MONTHS about how it's gonna be the best shooter in years and its gonna "BLow our asses away" and then he gives us this shit.

People can fly made painkiller really fun and that was years ago, somehow EPIC plus People can fly and you get Gears of War art Direction in FPS.

Even the blood in Bulletstorm has that same exact fucking shader as the blood in Gears of War.

Yea its not a 0 out of 10, I'm not like those metacritic assholes who just want to give a game that getting all 10's a 0 just because I'm pissed.

I legitimately think bulletstorm as an FPS is a joke.... (wait for it)...
.. IN COMPARISON to any new and innovative shooter out there where the DEV needs to work a little harder to catch their audience.

When John Caramack releases a new game, people always take it a note because he has a good rep. Cliffy HAD a good rep.

Let's pretend that it does have huge production values, so does the new golden Axe, or Killzone 3, and Crackdown 2. These games look like shit imo, with their mono palettes and lack of any innovation. Graphically they are great, aesthetically they are a mess. Especially when so many big studios out there are churning this shit out like crazy.

the game is still a meh-ware, and in 5 years I promise nobody will care.
...unless cliffy wants to make it into another franchise... Why not? you guys love it

Back to Witcher 2.
Can we at least agree that CD Projectk rocks?

This comment was edited on May 20, 2011, 18:04.

47. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 20, 2011, 15:18 SectorEffector

eunichron wrote on May 20, 2011, 14:39:
Jerykk wrote on May 20, 2011, 04:27:
It seems to me that the primary distinction between the games is that ArmA is much more realistic than CoD/BF. When you say ArmA is not realistic, do you mean it is not realistic at all or it just isn't a perfect representation of reality?

The primary distinction is intent. CoD/BF try to be realistic in aesthetics only, ArmA tries to be a good representation of reality (I'm not going to say perfect because short of virtual reality that would just be impossible anyway). ArmA's problem is that in its attempt to be as close of a representation as possible, it misses the mark entirely and becomes unrealistic. It's exacerbated by the civilian players who think it is a perfect representation of reality, because they saw on the Military channel once that the Army uses the same technology to train (because obviously, when you're dealing with life and death situations you want to use video games to prepare [that's sarcasm btw]).

I'm not going to say it's impossible for a game to be a good representation of reality, but ArmA is not it.

I'm just gonna say after speaking with another person who has served actively in Iraq multiple times, they loved the game. They really even loved the level editor! They don't regard it as the "Simulator thats SO REALISTIC YOU CIVILIAN KIDS CAN FEEL IT 100%" but
for Military buffs, its awesome. And. It's a fucking game.

When I say Mil Sim, I mean Mil Sim, that doesn't mean it has to pass your test of "DID IT MATCH MY EXPERIENCE"

Then with your "No Self Respecting Unit"...

Please don't insult other players that have served and enjoy the game who apparently tell me some of the custom missions we play are scarily close to the actual engagements they based them upon, and they just about took the same action in suppressing their opfor targets.

Or...

Post whatever game you think does a better job then ArmA with its full scale battles.

until then.

Thanks for serving. (srsly)

8. Re: Bulletstorm DLC Released May 20, 2011, 13:40 SectorEffector

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2011, 07:54:
$15-19 Serious Sam Pricing or so.

The production level is about a billion times higher than Serious Sam.

I'd say $30 is the perfect sweet spot for what was the last very entertaining FPS I've played.

I'm trying out Medal of Honor right now, as I got it within your "$15-$19 Serious Sam Pricing" and will probably get 3 or 4 hours out of it before I'm bored enough to go back to an older game.

my "Serious Sam" pricing. I call it not paying for shiny turds. You apparently think that high poly most mean production values "A biillion times higher"

I

500 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo