Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NicoSugle

Real Name NicoSugle   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SectorEffector
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Maya, Softimage, Houdini and 3DSmax ( Naiad and Realflow too )I'm an FX TD / Artist Here's some of my workhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM80F_J-QHE
Homepage http://www.oculart.com
Signed On Jan 15, 2010, 01:52
Total Comments 500 (Apprentice)
User ID 55456

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GRID Off the Grid
12. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 17:39 SectorEffector

Optional nickname wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 10:41:
G.ood R.iddance I.nbred D.rivers!

we have GT5 , I don't need any other car games.

I got over driving simulators that apparently felt crashing wasn't a part of driving. Have fun with that.

GT5's crashes still look like a joke, and remove me from experience.
I love racing full speed, and taking corners praying I don't total the car if I mess up on this critical turn.

It just feels more... realistic.

something I think DRIVING SIMULATORS should strive for.

srsly tho, no dedicated servers = this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Red Orchestra 2 Ranked Servers and Anti-Cheat Measures
42. Re: On Red Orchestra 2 Ranked Servers and Anti-Cheat Measures Jun 20, 2011, 17:34 SectorEffector

DangerDog wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 14:29:
ASeven wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 05:32:
DangerDog wrote on Jun 19, 2011, 23:18:
I do look forward to seeing what kind of destruction they implement in RO, hopefully it goes a little bit further than just breaking windows, but I'm not expecting any building collapses (not even the pre animated ones like in Bad Company 2).

Any building in the game can be leveled to the tiniest destruction like any fence in the game can be destroyed. You can level pretty much anything in the game.

First I've heard of this, in the interview they had not long ago on Bash and Slash they only said it would have micro destruction.

You're correct, this game in no way has fully destructible environments. I've seen zero coverage with clips showing "any building in the game" being leveled.

It would be incredible if they had that.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 14:57 SectorEffector

EricFate wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 09:35:
I've already logged about 60 hours of playtime in Terraria, and I'm still not bored with it. Best $10 I've spent in the past year.

But CLIFFY KNOWS Bulletstorm is worth $60 dollars, how can these indie dev's be so STUPID!

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: The Next Chrome Jun 19, 2011, 05:11 SectorEffector

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 18, 2011, 22:45:
Not really seeing how this is gonna work

Whats the most clicked button on Amazon Checkout page - Confirm Order?

So it preloads that and auto-confirms you order before you even see the Checkout page... somehow... seriously, this is probably so massively restricted ie, by white-list for only very specific pages that it will be useless, and if not, then this will be a huge disaster if it preloads anything thats actually not a web-page, but a trigger for purchase, post or delete (heck, on these forums the most clicked button is prolly "Post Comment" so you click on "post reply" and google instantly preloads "post comment" ? ;p

I'm fairly certain it just works a lot like a bunch of the older firefox plugins where it loads a low res version of the site for thumbnails but now in Googles case it will just stream the next set of links, so if your browsing BBC.com and your idle on the site, it would download all the top stories, knowing most people will click on those.

There's ways to track this information and Google's taking advantage of it.

88. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 16, 2011, 18:17 SectorEffector

Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 18:03:
I'm going to refrain from composing a huge list of clearly obvious gameplay mechanic flaws (not opinion there) that easily degrade the fun and enjoyment of the title, where it could have been MUCH better, no doubt in my mind. The reviews alone with these changes would be much higher, I promise you.

Oh, it's pretty easy to list changes that would give the game better reviews. Just make the game like CoD.

As for the clearly obvious gameplay mechanic flaws, I'm interested in what you have to say. If you believe that platforming and puzzle-solving are flaws, I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

Honestly the puzzle solving was really one of my favorite parts of the game. I loved controlling the duke statue the most, and the wrecking part.

I just can't sit through the parts inbetween.

One gripe i forgot to point out is the damage models and the blood in this game are really strangely toned down. Bullet decals only appear on dismembered parts of the corpses and nowhere else.

When the games weapons don't secure a solid feeling with the guns, it really makes the whole shooting the entire game less cool. ESP when most first person shooters revolve around the first person and the gun infront of you.

Fallout for example, the gun animations for the pistols etc are pretty cheesy, and don't feel like I'm shooting a real gun. But when you hit a mob's head and you see the 15+ chunks JUST FOR THE HEAD, it really makes it pack a sense of wallop. Duke's shotgun to me is the only gun that seemed to still pack that Wallop!

The first alien rifle you get is so lame and weak, then the later on heat seeking rifle feels just as weak.

srly the puzzles were better then most titles, thats what's dissapointing. I know this game could be getting better reviews (minus being COD) That COD quote really only applies to the bigger reviewers like IGN etc. Where money is clearly involved, or you have someone who should never be delegated to review a game esp if they gave crackdown 2 a good score etc. Some people just don't have a good gauge on what good really is.

Lately making money is where "good" is, as far as most dev's now and days are concerned.. thats why you have too many COD rippofs.

I think the player reviews as a whole would be better with more wallop.

The lack of kick btw. That's such a big No No. Dark Messiah of might and magic did the kick new FPS age justice.

*goes to play dark messiah*

^----allright story but with INCREDIBLY awesome swordfighting dynamics. Better than oblivions jokey swings.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever
66. Re: Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever Jun 15, 2011, 17:26 SectorEffector

Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 00:49:
You really can't pick a sub-genre (or worse, sub-sub-genre in modern day military shooters) that is, in it's very nature restricted to realistic locales for conflict and then complain in any justifiable manner that there's not enough variety in that sub-genre.

The problem is that the modern military sub-genre is dominating the shooter genre as a whole. Even when games are made that have different settings (whether it be WW2 or sci-fi), the actual gameplay mechanics and level design generally remain unchanged. Killzone, for example, is basically CoD with space Nazis. We occasionally get a shooter that introduces new gameplay mechanics or design approaches, like Bioshock or Bulletstorm, but these are sadly few and far between.

I guess my biggest issue with modern shooters is that the gameplay is almost always the same. Cover-based, hitscan weapons, pseudorealistic damage models (i.e. headshots). I'd love to see more shooters with run 'n gun gameplay and a variety of genuinely unique weapons that require completely different skillsets to master. More interesting traversal mechanics would be nice too. TF2 is really the only game that fills that role right now, though Prey 2 has potential.

So you want Blood III ? I swear Blood 1's gore and guns pack more punch then DNF. I feel like the guns Caleb uses actually are blowing shit up, not making polys dissappear into 2 blood particles.

Loved Blood + Shadow Warrior

86. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 15, 2011, 13:50 SectorEffector

"I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. While DNF certainly isn't as good as HL2, I don't feel it did anything horribly. The game was compelling enough for me to finish and that's a lot more than I can say for most games these days."

I'm going to refrain from composing a huge list of clearly obvious gameplay mechanic flaws (not opinion there) that easily degrade the fun and enjoyment of the title, where it could have been MUCH better, no doubt in my mind. The reviews alone with these changes would be much higher, I promise you.

I highly believe these flaws are because of GB's laziness.

Being a longtime 3DR fan and Duke fan, after playing through DNF, you can't even begin to convince me that those guys weren't completely sitting on their thumbs, resting on the laurels of a previous successful IP / distracted by Max Payne's + Prey spiel.

Don't get me wrong, I think they tried. I'm sure of that because Allen Blum and a few other veterens of 3DR worked in their apartments to finish the game, but I have a feeling they started to pick up the pace when they realized take 2 was saying fuck off, your taking too long and it's becoming a joke.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2011, 14:00.

News Comments > ARMA 3 Trailer
27. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 14, 2011, 21:12 SectorEffector

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 04:29:
CommunistHamster wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 08:04:
The AI looks dumb as a rock from a tactical point sometimes, but on a strategic scale they are very smart. Large scale flanking manoeuvres can really catch you out, as it's not something you expect from an AI.

I find it pretty funny when people complain about the AI. I would like to know to which AI they compare it. There simply is NO AI out there that can handle an open world like that, can drive vehicles, fly aircraft, mount statics, go stealth, stay in various formations (even in vehicles), change their behavior completely in a blink of an eye, communicate with each other, look for cover, actually use that cover properly, follow orders, make decisions on their own, execute complex tactics, etc. When I play warfare (which is a mix of PvE and PvP), I sometimes cant tell if its an AI or a player. They even use lean and duck properly.
ArmAs AI is the best out there. Sure it has flaws (the biggest being pathfinding), but in the same sentence people complain about the performance too. I cant believe how far from reality some people are...

Whats next? People complain that ArmA 2s view distance is only 10 km? Because their console game has 40 km, but they dont realize that their "40 km" is actually only 100m with a texture on the horizon...

word.

83. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 14, 2011, 21:07 SectorEffector

Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 18:09:
Half Life may have those features but it doesn't make the guns only have a max ammo of 4-5 then make the player constantly goto ammo boxes that are strewn about. The game's levels basically dictate what weapons you have to use, thus killing more than half of the replay value as a title.

I think you need to go back and play HL2 again. When fighting the flying ships, you have to use the rocket launcher and you have to constantly resupply using ammo boxes strewn about. There are many levels that forced you to use specific weapons, whether it be the gravity gun, the rocket launcher, the antlion spore pod or the crossbow.

I figured you'd bring that up, but if you had to drop your main gun to pick up the gravity gun or rocket launcher for that ONE part then it would suck.

EVERYWHERE in duke, there are just RANDOM ammo boxes that refill all current guns ammo. That's as asinine as Deus Ex 2's unified ammo for all guns.

You can tell me they are the same, but one was fun and didn't make me want to stop playing after 10 mins.

Your also not including the boring static emplacement guns that DNF is jam packed full of.

your retort? the airgun on the airboat? I sure hope you can see the difference funwise.

It's how gamers are arguing armor and health are pointless compared to auto-heal. These gamers probably won't be industry minds in the future.

Doom retains more replay value when your scrounging for ammo, then any of Duke's well placed "Use this gun for this scene now cus you only hold 2"

AngryBrit's Youtube Video should easily demonstrate a game that does ALOT of what Half-Life 2 does, but SO HORRIBLY. So Terribly, that I never thought I as a longtime duke fan, would want to turn it off because it's playing so bad.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Jun 14, 2011, 17:15 SectorEffector

Tumbler wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 13:12:
Giant Bomb has a video clip that shows about 55 min of random gameplay plus discussion as you play. I think this might be paid content but watching the trailers of this is jaw dropping. The actual gameplay is awful...but watching the trailers makes it look passable... They were playing the 360 version and the load times must have been 30 seconds, even installed. And anytime you died it had to reload the game which took another 30 seconds. The levels were short too so the game had to load things all the time. Half the time the guys were waiting to quit after dieing, wait 30 seconds for game to load, then you can quit out and try something else.

The people who made the trailers need a raise, that is seriously Picasso level genius from what this game has.

Edit: Video is not premium content, strongly recommend watching that video clip, it's 55 min and covers a lot of different gameplay.

the angry brit video did a great job at exposing the mess it is. I'll have to sit though this one too.

Education on what NOT to do.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever Jun 14, 2011, 14:03 SectorEffector

Keith wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 13:34:
Been fun so far. Played about an hour last night. One-liners are pretty good; a little nostalgia goes a long way for me. Graphics are what you'd expect from a game that went through who knows how many houses, but still functional. The multiplayer is cool, especially when using jetpacks, remote detonators, etc., all the stuff that made the original Duke 3D great. I do agree the 2 weapon limit is BS. I want to carry a veritable arsenal. Rocket Launcher? check! Shotgun? Check! Mini-gun? Check! Explosives? Check! Perhaps that retarded idea can be patched out at some point. If you liked Duke 3D, I'd say you're going to like this.

I'd say you're incorrect sir.

Spent years post Duke3D on build engine.

Definitely not feeling the later half of the map design, let alone the "arenas" where you are locked in a room, have to kill re spawning enemies, then the door to leave flashes. I have no problem with the content, or the dialogue etc. It's purely gameplay just not being fun. The railgun is one of the cheesiest weapon designs I've ever seen. It's literally the design from the 1998 trailer of DNF on the quake engine ported over to Unreal, and then shooting a pig cop and seeing him disappear, with a bit of blood particles fading out quick just feels weak.

Factor in, if you can look at games for their mechanics, this is really,
Halo Forever: FPS De-evolved. (with some minor fun puzzles which pale compared to the gameplay's shortcomings. It even has Halo2 esque shitty pistol/weapon whipping animations.

Also, as my friend said who also loved Duke3D. "where is there no kick!?"

maybe it would've been better if gbox didn't mess with any mechanics. At least palpable to duke 3D fans seeking "fun". Which isn't a lot to ask. The Mechanics ruin this title.

77. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 14, 2011, 13:46 SectorEffector

Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 00:08:
I critizied it for many other reasons, none of which you list.

Seems like at this point you are defending the POS game just to defend it.

I'm defending the game because I enjoyed it. Let's take a look at your other criticisms...

12 hours of gameplay for SP at the hardest setting,

12 hours for a shooter is above average these days.

couple glitches,

Yes, the game has some bugs. Every game has bugs.

dick/tit jokes get old, the 6th grade humor isn't that good

Pretty subjective. Judging by your irrational hatred of Bulletstorm, I think it's safe to say that you don't enjoy juvenile humor. That doesn't mean other people don't.

the demo is EXACTLY what he game is like, which in this case isn't good,

Already addressed this in a previous post. The demo is not really a good representation of the full game. The full game has a lot of platforming and puzzle-solving and the demo does not. Much of the combat in the full game takes place indoors, whereas most of the combat in the demo takes place outdoors. The desert/mine level shown in the demo is also one of the weaker levels in the full game.

graphics are pretty bad, blur is really bad,

Agreed. The depth of field effect is pretty terrible and the outdoor scenes don't look very good as a result. The indoor scenes look decent, though.

load times are atrocious,

Console issue. Load times are okay on PC.

quicksave points are placed badly,

Partially agreed. Some of the checkpoints could have been placed better but I didn't find them very problematic in general.

lots of dead space in the game that could have had bad guys to shoot at,

I assume you're referring to the platforming and puzzle-solving parts of the game. I enjoy both platforming and puzzle-solving so I didn't consider these "dead space." If you're specifically referring to the lengthy intro sequence at the start of the game, fair enough. It does take a while before you get to the action. Then again, the same could be said for the HL games.

Look man I loved Duke as much as any fan, but this games a wholly mess.

Half Life may have those features but it doesn't make the guns only have a max ammo of 4-5 then make the player constantly goto ammo boxes that are strewn about. The game's levels basically dictate what weapons you have to use, thus killing more than half of the replay value as a title.

http://i.imgur.com/BITmX.jpg

^---- sad truth.

74. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 13, 2011, 19:26 SectorEffector

Jerykk wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 18:57:
Somehow that mechanic in Hl2 with the dropships just didn't suck.

Rose-tinted glasses. Though, to be fair, the ships in HL2 were better scripted and had more interesting movements than the ones in DNF.

The way the organic dropships die with ragdolls is always a winner.

71. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 13, 2011, 18:53 SectorEffector

Beamer wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 14:11:
I'm pretty sure, carrying more than 2 weapons helped in HL's case.

Carrying two weapons can make sense:
1) If the weapons are decently balanced
2) If the weapons are everywhere
3) If the character is going to be limited and not some god
4) If the game features load-outs you pick prior to a mission
5) If realism plays in at all
6) If the game is on a console, where no one has yet figured out a good way to use multiple weapons

Duke hits one of these, #6. It fails at every single other one. I'm perfectly ok with only two weapons in Halo, as I know that I can find any other weapon I want laying around at any given time since weapons are literally everywhere on the ground - I never felt like I was making a tradeoff and typically felt like I was making a strategic decision. I'm perfectly ok with only two weapons in Gears of War because your weapons fall into two categories: machine gun and special; you pick the machine gun you like best and the special you like best and you go. I'm ok with it in Call of Duty because I'm using a setup I created specific for the level and, again, it feels strategic to me. These all reminded me a bit of Rainbow Six.

I was not ok with it in Far Cry, in which I despised having to choose between sniper and rockets and ended up never using the damn special category because I never trusted that I'd have ammo when I needed it.
And I'd resent it in Duke because so many of the weapons just aren't useful enough to ever pick up. Why would I drop a machine gun or shotgun for the freeze ray, other than a contrived part of a level made just for it?

Bingo

It's never good when each level dictates what guns you need to use like DNF and then have a rocket launcher hold only 5 rounds total ammo, then have you constantly running out while there are multiple "ammo" crates to keep refilling. That's even worse.

Somehow that mechanic in Hl2 with the dropships just didn't suck.

63. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 13, 2011, 14:03 SectorEffector

Beamer wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 09:29:
If you watch that first video, you don't get a weapon until like 20 minutes in. That's so lame.

How long do you go without getting a weapon in HL/HL2?
I know there are large differences between what you're doing in the opening of those two and this one, but I'm still curious.

I'm pretty sure, carrying more than 2 weapons helped in HL's case.

News Comments > Epic Hacked
27. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 20:11 SectorEffector

MuzixMon wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 19:26:
I wish they could've hacked CliffyB's EGO and knocked it down a few notches! Man, that guy is a conceeded jerk and loves to down pc gamers!

I always get general flak when I call Cliffy an absolute Dbag. I love how gamers think any of these guys give a SHIT about them or what they want to play. Warren Spector why!!

Cliffy is the top "rest on your laurels" dev that exists.

Tim Sweeny laughs at indie game developers for "emailing their fans about bugs"

I cant wait for the time passage of last generations modders becoming the next full on developers.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
2. Re: Morning Screenshots Jun 10, 2011, 17:57 SectorEffector

"It's absolutely a triple A, modern, advanced game for this era"

Randy Pitchford, executive producer

-1000 cred

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Re: Morning Screenshots Jun 10, 2011, 17:25 SectorEffector

Why even?

We know it's horrendous, and more people were completely fleeced

News Comments > Molyneux on Fable Kinect Demo "Horrendous Mistake"
17. Re: Molyneux on Fable Kinect Demo Jun 10, 2011, 17:24 SectorEffector

Creston wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 15:09:
This should read:

Peter Molyneux—Horrendous Mistake.

Creston

word.

And wow, that video of Windows 8's live service. That's amazing.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping
16. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 01:36 SectorEffector

entr0py wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 22:55:
Is it just me or does it seem the average reactions went from cautious optimism to bitter contempt in a matter of days? I guess the demo must have hit hard. I'm still holding out to see reviews; companies screw up brief demos all the time.

Longtime Duke fan.

It was an awful, awful, awful demo.

Duke Never should only carry 2 weapons. Ever.
+ no kick

such a no sale / 4.99 on steam one day.

btw.. Longtime duke 3D fan.

500 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo