Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jeff McLean

Real Name Jeff McLean   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dirwulf
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.morelovelesshate.com
Signed On Jan 13, 2010, 02:31
Total Comments 642 (Apprentice)
User ID 55452

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age II Beta Patch
22. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 19:35 Dirwulf

Sempai wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 19:29:
sir wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 19:19:
I'm enjoying the game (or the story-telling aspect, at least) even if it is hardly more involving than one of those "Choose Your Own Adventure" kiddie books. I'm too old for hardcore RPG these days, I like it to be mulched into a digestible paste and spoon-fed to me while I dribble over simplified gameplay choices.

I just want to have sex with someone already, their fucking love/hate system is total rubbish.

Jesus Christ at this point I'll fuck the dwarf!

I bagged the female rogue with my female rogue, but she says she doesn't want to have a relationship lol. She showed up at my estate the last time I visited, but I talked to the dog first, and it added her to the scene, and then she said she forgot what she came for and left lol.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 19:20 Dirwulf

Teddy wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 19:03:
space captain wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 18:44:
Teddy wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 18:25:
Pure idiocy.

yep this summarizes your entire perspective

*patpat*

When you have something to actually add to the conversation, feel free to try again. Insults from people whose opinion I care nothing for mean less than nothing. If you can rub your brain cells together for a proper argument, then I'm all ears.

Teddy, I feel for you. As a player of the original, I'm not having any problems with the new changes. I'm having a ton of fun with the game, there is so much to do, and some of the moments in the game have been OMG moments like in FFVII. The Ancient Rock Wraith boss is amazing and the dream encounter was so much fun.

Some people here are stupid and think if you like a game they don't like, that immediately means you are sucking corporate dick (ASeven). There is no place for elitism in this world, but some people seem to think they are better than others, because they think a game sucks, and because you like it, there must be something wrong with you. I really have no time for petty people like that.

I've been playing all day, I've had my break. Time to get back to some adventures.

14. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 19:11 Dirwulf

Bucky wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 18:26:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 18:21:
After a few days of playing it I really can handle all the changes to Dragon Age 2 except for one.

I have been in the same 3 tilesets OVER and OVER and OVER. I am sick of seeing 1 HUGE cave split up into smaller parts for quests, or some extra walls thrown in trying to make a new map. It's cheap, lazy and unprofessional. I am really surprised Bioware did this.

That one bothers me a bit, though I can deal with it. What drives me nuts is the console style menus for setting party tactics--that just pisses me off.

Otherwise, I far prefer Dragon Age 2 to DA:O, though I reserve final judgement until I've finished at least one playthrough of DA2.

I don't know why people call the tactics menu console style, or any of the PC menus for that matter. Its point and click with the mouse. Console style would be using page up and page down keys to scroll through the menus.

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II DRM
55. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 16:46 Dirwulf

Kosumo wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 16:19:
To get back on topic (is there DRM in DA2?)

So, are "Reclaim Your Games" wrong on this or not?

I'd say they are and the fact that their website is still 'offline' make me wounder if they have been server with a take down notice, after all, if this is not true and is being put out on the internet and damaging 'EA/Bioware/DA2 sales/impressions of DA2' then I'd imagine who ever published it may have some question being asked of them.

On the other hand, how many of you think/know that it is true and that Bioware/EA and just big evil lairs?

The guy who owns the web site goes by Sblade on the Bioware boards. He says the site went down yesterday due to heavy traffic, but its still down. As Derek the Bioware rep said, it is just a release date checker, nothing more. I think the guy was just trying to bring some attention to his web site. It looks like he got what he was asking for.

54. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 16:42 Dirwulf

ASeven wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 16:27:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 14:34:
Laughing at all the hate...

Well back to my second play through.

Man am I having fun with this game! FUN!!!

Speaking of lowest common denominator...

I'm sorry that you are unable to enjoy this game for what it is. I'm sure you don't even own it. Its sad that you have to derive enjoyment by bashing someone who likes the game. That just shows you how sad and pathetic your life must be.

45. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 14:34 Dirwulf

Laughing at all the hate...

Well back to my second play through.

Man am I having fun with this game! FUN!!!

News Comments > EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access?
83. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 16:24 Dirwulf

Ok, so I did a reg edit and found my SecuRom folder. That last date anything was written to it was 11/10. That last time before that was 4/09. This indicates to me that DA2, is in fact, not using SecuRom. I will be more than happy to provide you a copy of the exported txt file of my SecuRom registry folder if you would like.

BTW, anyone with this game can check for yourself. Just run Regedit and search for "SecuRom"

Edit: And now the guy on RYM is backtracking a little bit. I think its just a release date check, if anything at all. I think this is just a guy trying to drive traffic to his web site.

"My sig said we tested Disk and Impulse version. Steam hasnīt been tested. Iīm not sure if Securom is present on the Steam version"

Edit 2: And Bioware speaks. Nothing to see here...move along.

"Fernando Melo wrote...

The release control software is also made by Sony DADC, the same team that makes securom. But it is not the same product - for instance, it does not install anything etc just as we've stated before. They have the same support site though which is the URL you're seeing."

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2011, 17:13.

79. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 16:07 Dirwulf

More news on the SecuRom issue.

"Bad investigation by "Reclaim Your Game". They saw the secuROM NAME, and presumed it was the same, (or a variation on the same) program. Not at all the case. Where, for example, are the notorius "hidden" directories that were at the heart of the secuROM issue in the first place?

That DA2 used a date-dependent release control mechanism, and some people don't like that, is one issue.

That the mechanism was developed by a(n in)famous DRM developer (Sony), is another.

But that the mechanism installed SOMETHING associated with itself in order to function does NOT mean secuROM, the program, was installed. Nor does it mean that anything like secuROM (in purpose or operation) is used in DA2.

But... "Hater's gonna Hate.""

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6194280/26

78. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 15:59 Dirwulf

ASeven wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:53:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:50:
ASeven wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:44:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:42:
Dude, its a moot point. If you read my other posts, the disc with SecRom on it is a preview copy, not a retail copy. The retail version does not have SecuRom on it. I do stand to be corrected, however. Like I said, we'll just have to wait and see how this all shakes out, but I believe they used a preview copy. I have the Steam version, so I am unaffected by this.

Read previous post. Securom is present in all retail copies.

Can you even get to the article within the article? It appears the web site reporting this is down?

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php

Was going to post that, they have gone down, the whole website, soon after news of this broke.

Anyway, googlecache FTW.

They're actually making veiled threats of going to court in their recommendations. Oh wow. This may become really bad for EA.

I wonder if it went down from so many people going there lol? I found a post on the Bioware forums where this guy says EA gave him his money back and a $20 gift code?

Regardless, I'm still having fun playing the game. I think you are right if this is true, this is going to get ugly.

"I went to EA's support chat, they are refunding my money and the gave me 20 dollar gift code, I encourage you all to do the same."

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6194280/23

74. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 15:50 Dirwulf

ASeven wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:44:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:42:
Dude, its a moot point. If you read my other posts, the disc with SecRom on it is a preview copy, not a retail copy. The retail version does not have SecuRom on it. I do stand to be corrected, however. Like I said, we'll just have to wait and see how this all shakes out, but I believe they used a preview copy. I have the Steam version, so I am unaffected by this.

Read previous post. Securom is present in all retail copies.

Can you even get to the article within the article? It appears the web site reporting this is down?

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php

72. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 15:42 Dirwulf

ASeven wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:38:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:12:
And here is Blizzard winning a lawsuit for EULA violation...one of many they have won...

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/07/15/blizzard-wins-lawsuit-against-bot-makers/

Edit: More proof of EULA enforcement and Blizzard winning.

This is 2004 suit that Blizzard filed against the developers of bnetd. One of the interesting points is the court findings starting on page 17 about whether the EULA and TOS were binding contracts. I have been seeing a lot of posts saying they are not, the court ruled that they in fact are legal contracts. This ruling was later upheld under appeal.

http://www.eff.org/IP/Emulation/Blizzard_v_bnetd/20040930BNETDOrder.pdf

Ah the famous WoW bot lawsuits. You do realize that was for a MMORPG and ACti and Blizzard many suits actually present the game as a MMORPG and not a single player or multiplayer game that doesn't have constant connection to their servers? In fact, this ruling only upheld EULAs for MMORPGs if I'm going to nitpick the many Activision lawsuits.

This is different and if EA goes to court due to this you can bet that precedent will be overruled by the 9th circuit or supreme in heartbeat due to what EA has done with this banning and how fragile they've shown consumers are with these EULAs.

And if the EULA's are enforceable, why isn't EA following the orders imposed on them by the many Spore lawsuits that followed, you know, the ones you didn't link that say EULAs have no legal weight for a consumer?

Due to not saying DA2 has SecuROM on his own EULA they now have more to worry than this, they actually broke a court-ordered rule over them and are now in big trouble if someone picks this up.

In before more apologist bullshit and corporate dick sucking.

68. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 15:18 Dirwulf

mch wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:04:
This is pretty ridiculous and I predict some massive backpedaling by EA.

In addition, Ars is now reporting that after all their claims, DA2 does in fact include Securom:

If you read the comments, it appears they are using a PREVIEW copy of the game and not a retail copy. The preview copies clearly stated they would have securom on them. We will see where this goes...

Edit: And after reading more comments, it does indeed seem they are using a preview copy and not a retail copy. There is no SecuRom on the retail versions. I have the Steam version, so I can not personally verify this.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2011, 15:24.

64. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 15:12 Dirwulf

ASeven wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:03:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 13:45:
While I understand this is a single player game, Blizzard does the same thing. You can get banned in game for a forum post. I'll also argue, like the game companies do, you don't actually "own" the game, you own a license to use it. You agreed to that when you took the shrink wrap off, just like it states on the box, or in the digital license agreement that you checked before your purchase went through.

I agreed to jackshit and anyone who keeps mouthing that EULA's are enforceable should stop sucking corporate dick. EULAs are NOT enforceable, in fact they often go against something that is enforceable, it's called law. What EA has done may actually bring EULAs to a court of law though and I hope they do.

EULA carry no legal weight, plain and simple. Only the simple minded or those lacking any sort of legal knowledge think otherwise, but that's the average gamer.

And here is Blizzard winning a lawsuit for EULA violation...one of many they have won...

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/07/15/blizzard-wins-lawsuit-against-bot-makers/

Edit: More proof of EULA enforcement and Blizzard winning.

This is 2004 suit that Blizzard filed against the developers of bnetd. One of the interesting points is the court findings starting on page 17 about whether the EULA and TOS were binding contracts. I have been seeing a lot of posts saying they are not, the court ruled that they in fact are legal contracts. This ruling was later upheld under appeal.

http://www.eff.org/IP/Emulation/Blizzard_v_bnetd/20040930BNETDOrder.pdf

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2011, 15:27.

48. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 14:31 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 14:14:
They ban people from singleplayer Starcraft though, which is undoubtedly the main draw for some people. I know I played through the campaign and then uninstalled.

Can you be more specific SV? I thought you could still play offline, you would just lose access to achievements. Blizzard usually doesn't ban an entire battle.net account, they ban on a game by game basis IIRC. Obviously there are exceptions for fraud/RMT/etc.

I'm not sure this is exactly what you are looking for Verno, but any cheating in the single player game gets you banned. There are tons of articles on it if you Google it, I just picked one.

http://tinyurl.com/4touapz

34. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 13:45 Dirwulf

ASeven wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 13:34:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 13:29:
I think people are missing something in the article. He wasn't directly banned by EA for his post. Another customer clicked on the REPORT POST button, and EA followed up on the report.

It is in their disclosure that if you break the rules, you could get banned.

How about follow the rules, don't be an asshat, and you won't get banned? The guy even said he should have been banned. He AGREED with EA. He just thought it was strange he can't play his single player game. Now while that is a little strange, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime :P.

You can't expect a newspaper to publish your opinion piece if it doesn't comply with the rules of the newspaper. Why would anyone reasonably assume they can post anything they want on someone else's forum.

You're not getting the point at all. Banning people from the forums for forum behavior, go for it. Punish forum posts with forum sanctions. This goes beyond it. This is banning access to games based on a forum post. This is scary, this is wrong, this may set a very bad precedent and I will say it bluntly, any idiot that defends banning games for forum posts is a fucking retard.

While I understand this is a single player game, Blizzard does the same thing. You can get banned in game for a forum post. I'll also argue, like the game companies do, you don't actually "own" the game, you own a license to use it. You agreed to that when you took the shrink wrap off, just like it states on the box, or in the digital license agreement that you checked before your purchase went through.

24. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 13:29 Dirwulf

I think people are missing something in the article. He wasn't directly banned by EA for his post. Another customer clicked on the REPORT POST button, and EA followed up on the report.

It is in their disclosure that if you break the rules, you could get banned.

How about follow the rules, don't be an asshat, and you won't get banned? The guy even said he should have been banned. He AGREED with EA. He just thought it was strange he can't play his single player game. Now while that is a little strange, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime :P.

You can't expect a newspaper to publish your opinion piece if it doesn't comply with the rules of the newspaper. Why would anyone reasonably assume they can post anything they want on someone else's forum.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Launch Trailer
24. Re: Dragon Age 2 Launch Trailer Mar 10, 2011, 21:01 Dirwulf

mt2e wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 20:36:
This is ridiculous. Dirwulf is a straight up clown like his icon. I had to read his past comments just to make sure the guy wasn't a BioWare plant....

This coming from a guy who's entire post history is this ONE post knocking DA 2. Yeah that's right, I called you out, troll.

So, Mr Mark Tackman, you created this account just to bash me and this game? What a loser...

Nice Myspace page lol...

http://www.myspace.com/mt2e

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2011, 21:06.

22. Re: Dragon Age 2 Launch Trailer Mar 10, 2011, 20:15 Dirwulf

Overon wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 19:56:
*Sigh* I played the demo. I'm not a troll. Others have stated far more eloquently why this game is a pale imitation of the original PC designed game. You just haven't been paying attention.

So you're judging an entire game based on a demo? I think that speaks for itself. Maybe if you actually played the full game you'd have a different opinion, but I see you'd rather follow the hater sheep.

18. Re: Dragon Age 2 Launch Trailer Mar 10, 2011, 19:27 Dirwulf

Overon wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 18:54:
I don't understand how a someone who loved the original PC styled game could like this hollow corpse of a sequel.

There are a lot of us. Its the #1 selling game right now. Obviously those are not all first time buyers. I'm sorry you're not having FUN playing this AWESOME game. You state no reason for your statement. Therefore I have to assume you are nothing more than a troll who hasn't even bothered to play the full version.

7. Re: Dragon Age 2 Launch Trailer Mar 10, 2011, 15:28 Dirwulf

I'm throwing my hat in against all the hate. I bought the game after playing through the demo twice. I can't stop playing. I am having a BLAST. Most of the negative reviews I have read I think are from people who aren't even really playing. The people that say they just let the game play itself during fights and are winning are lying. Especially during boss battles. I am constantly pausing the combat, repositioning my party and choosing what abilities to use.

The voice acting is excellent. Any one who says otherwise is once again lying. The first time I heard Kate Mulgrew speak, she gave me goose bumps. She is an amazing actress and a great voice over artist as well. All the other chatacters seem very real to me.

The graphics with the hi-res pack are simply stunning. I've found myself stopping and looking around me a lot. More than most games. Seeing the cloud shadows move along the ground is awesome.

I've always loved the Bioware dialog wheel, and that's no exception in this game. The fact that you're never quite sure exactly what your going to say is cool.

Yes, they took some of the ideas in ME2, and added them to DA2. So what? The Mass Effect series is awesome.

I loved DAO, but I'm having just as much fun playing this one.

The only people losing in this scenario, are the haters. They are missing out on a great game.

642 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo