Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jeff McLean

Real Name Jeff McLean   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dirwulf
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.morelovelesshate.com
Signed On Jan 13, 2010, 02:31
Total Comments 640 (Apprentice)
User ID 55452

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Darkspore Open Beta Resumes
2. Re: Darkspore Open Beta Resumes Apr 14, 2011, 12:59 Dirwulf

Ant wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 08:58:
Is this game worth checking out? Is it like Diablo games? Screen shots and videos seem decent.

I played the last open Beta and I'm playing this one too. I'm glad they wiped the servers for this iteration. Its pretty fun, for a while lol. Its Spore meets Diablo. Multiplayer is the way to go. Playing solo is pretty boring, and the loot is better in multiplayer. They made a lot of improvements in a week. Its free, so what do you have to lose? I'd check it out (seeing as I am lol).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Next BIG Thing English Demo
1. Re: The Next BIG Thing English Demo Apr 14, 2011, 12:38 Dirwulf

A female journalist, and her male companion? A journalistic investigation with puzzles and whacky characters? I played that game when it was called Broken Sword. All 4 of them.  

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed
18. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 12:32 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 12:13:
Dirwulf wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 12:09:
Way to take the quote out of context Verno. If you're going to quote something, you use the entire quote. You work for Fox News now?

This coming from the chief Bioware apologist? Amusing hypocrisy. I didn't provide the other 10 quotes either but I did provide the link for people to read themselves. Did you even read the text you provided? Let me bold it for you.

""Normally, we are pretty responsive to activity on the forums, but you may also be aware that our forums are staffed voluntarily - and while we do ensure that additional presence exists when launching patches or server updates, this weekend was not the case. "

Translation - they are not monitored by paid employees unless they are launching a new product or a patch. The support forums were not monitored by paid employees which in turn lengthened the resolution of this entire debacle. This is a AAA developer, I think they can afford employees to watch the support forums, it's not exactly difficult to spot a 20 page thread.

Most companies use volunteers on their boards. I take it you have never worked for a game company before. Its prohibitively expensive to hire (how many?) people to read forums for every single one of EA'/Bioware's games, and each one of the sub forums for each title. Especially since a lot of posts are from people who don't report bugs correctly, just want to rant and rave, etc. That's why most companies also have email addresses to send support issues into. Now I don't know if Bioware has something like that in place, but it probably would have helped them in this situation. Usually weekend staff is light to begin with, so I'm sure that didn't help either. Also, the game is an older title, which will also impact the staffing.

Now as several other people have pointed out, they should have just removed the authentication once sales decreased. I am surprised they didn't do that now, but fixed it instead.

By the way, I don't trumpet for any one company. After having worked in the game industry for 15 years, I see things from the developer side. You all make it seem like its so easy to run a game company and all that entails. So I defend the developers a lot.

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed
14. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 12:09 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 10:36:
"Normally, we are pretty responsive to activity on the forums, but you may also be aware that our forums are staffed voluntarily"

Oh good, then all is forgiven because you can't be bothered to have a paid employee read your support forums!

Way to take the quote out of context Verno. If you're going to quote something, you use the entire quote. You work for Fox News now?

""Normally, we are pretty responsive to activity on the forums, but you may also be aware that our forums are staffed voluntarily - and while we do ensure that additional presence exists when launching patches or server updates, this weekend was not the case. "

News Comments > BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule
12. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 04:31 Dirwulf

From Sept. 2009:

"BlizzCon is operated at a substantial loss for the company," said Pearce. "It's a huge marketing opportunity, so that's the benefit we get out of that. But in terms of any kind of financial gain, it actually is a loss for us."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6228656.html

News Comments > Total War: Shogun 2 Patched
2. Re: Total War: Shogun 2 Patched Apr 12, 2011, 16:14 Dirwulf

They also didn't fix the duplicate veteran units bug in Multiplayer. Or the frozen AI reinforcements in single player. I guess I have to wait longer to start a new campaign.  

News Comments > Dragon Age 2 Patch
16. Re: Dragon Age 2 Patch Apr 12, 2011, 15:49 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 15:42:
You were the one who tried to bring up it's presence in a single top ten list as meaningful. I treat it like an Impulse top ten list, it's amusing but not terribly meaningful. In the last Steam list it got beat by things like Blood Bowl which even on sale isn't exactly a sales performer.

We'll see how many it sells say after a year. I bet its more than DA:O.

I doubt we'll need to wait that long. DA:O did 2.1 in what, 3 months?

Come one Verno, its not that hard to look shit up.

3.2 million copies in this announcement: http://tinyurl.com/3jooecz

Released Nov 2009. So yes, 3 months by that announcement, all platforms, worldwide.

I think Dragon Age II has the potential to sell that much. We'll find out in two more months.

13. Re: Dragon Age 2 Patch Apr 12, 2011, 15:34 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 15:22:
Up two places to #9 on the UK sales charts this week.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022

Once all the sales clear out, it will be on the top 10 of Steam for the overall week as well.

"It might stay in the sales lists in the first month!"

Glad to see you're setting the bar low enough to reach Embarassed

So are you saying a month on the top 10 is bad?...lol...

I guess you forgot the part where Bioware said its outsold DA:O so far (first month sales).

And it will be in the top 10 for longer than a month considering its already been out for a month. And yes, that may be because of the bundle. Go ahead and blame clever marketing for increased sales.

We'll see how many it sells say after a year. I bet its more than DA:O.

12. Re: Dragon Age 2 Patch Apr 12, 2011, 15:28 Dirwulf

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 15:23:
Dirwulf wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 15:19:
Once all the sales clear out, it will be on the top 10 of Steam for the overall week as well.
That's probably because in the UK you can now buy it for the low-low price of $24. And in other parts of europe it varies between 21 and 29.

They use dollars in the UK? I that that was pounds or euros...or are you already doing the conversion?

7. Re: Dragon Age 2 Patch Apr 12, 2011, 15:19 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 15:16:
For the ten people still playing this mediocre piece of crap.

Up two places to #9 on the UK sales charts this week.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022

News Comments > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Trailer
2. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Trailer Apr 12, 2011, 12:18 Dirwulf

"38 Studios founder Curt Schilling said that the style of the game would be a marriage between God of War and Oblivion."

Is there anything Curt Schilling can't do? I wonder how much input he actually had on the games they are making.

News Comments >
1. Re: U.K. Retail Game Sales Slump Apr 12, 2011, 11:08 Dirwulf

Is that lady high? A wedding of royals is going to drive game sales? What are they smoking over there because I want some.

EDIT:

Did anyone read the article? It doesn't mention games at all. Its talking about the overall retail sector.

"Footwear was the only growth sector, as food and drink, clothing, homeware, electrical, and others all fell."

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2011, 11:14.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2011, 16:41 Dirwulf

Just in case you want to try for yourself...

http://www.amazon.com/Bacon-Scented-Freshener-Novelty-Gift/dp/B000SSVZLW

News Comments > Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated]
74. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 16:03 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 15:53:
You haven't posted any figures either. EAs own claim of 1 million(shipped or sold they don't specify and that's a pretty important distinction) is still far below DA:O and the game continues to drop rapidly in all of the top10 lists. DA:O was incidentally Bioware's most successful title, even beating out ME2.

Figures for what? I didn't make any statements. I never said it was selling well. I just asked where the proof is that its selling poorly. And what is "poorly" anyway? Are people saying a million copies is shit because the first one sold more? That's just stupid. A million copies of anything is damn good.

Here: this article I just found says solds, not shipped. And that 1,000,000 is more than DA:O sold in its first two weeks. So time will be the judge of the final results.

http://tinyurl.com/3ds2umx

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2011, 16:12.

72. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 15:45 Dirwulf

All the people saying the game is selling poorly...where are your numbers? You seem to be pulling that statement our of your ass with nothing to back it up.  

25. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners Apr 6, 2011, 00:28 Dirwulf

nin wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 20:56:
They're quick to quote sales numbers, even though it's dropped out of the top 10 everywhere. And I'm sure they're giving it away out of the kindness of their own hearts.

<snicker>

Its still on the top 10 on Steam.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Demo
27. Re: Bulletstorm Demo Apr 5, 2011, 00:49 Dirwulf

deadearth wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 22:18:
gave the demo a try, as soon as it launched GFWL it logged me in and asked for my cd key. WTF???

I was able to play without logging in, but seriously?

My Steam demo has a CD key. You have to go to the library and right click on the demo and get the key...like all other Steam games. Maybe you're not using Steam though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2011, 13:01 Dirwulf

LOL...I always use the logo to get back to the main page...I didn't even notice until I went to click on it. Nice touch  

News Comments > Z Revival
9. Re: Z Revival Apr 1, 2011, 12:58 Dirwulf

Oh man, talk about bringing back memories. The US version was published by Virgin Interactive, who I was working for at the time. I got a call from a customer asking for help with the game "Zed." "I'm sorry sir, but we don't have a game called Zed." "Yes, you do, I just bought it, and I'm trying to get it to run." So after a few more questions it comes to light that he is calling from Canada and that is what they call the letter Z. I think that was the first person I had ever talked to from Canada at the time. Hell, I didn't know lol...  

News Comments > Darkspore Open Beta
4. Re: Darkspore Open Beta Mar 29, 2011, 06:55 Dirwulf

7 hours straight my first session. Its definitely got that "just one more mission" feel to it. Tons of customization. Tons of different loot. You can play Tank, heals or DPS and each has all kinds of different ways of doing their jobs. You add "loot" parts in typical spore fashion. There are weapons, foot, hand, offense, defense, and accessory slots. Maybe one more. I'm tired and I'm going from memory. You collect "DNA" during missions to purchase upgrades such as more hero slots, squad slots, stat caps, unlocking higher missions. Its Spore meets Diablo. Its definitely an interesting twist. Not sure how long before I get bored. If you have Steam, its worth the free look anyway.

Oh, and you get more XP if you play multi-player, and the loot drops seem better a la Borderlands.

640 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo