Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for D_K_night

Real Name D_K_night   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 28, 2009, 02:26
Total Comments 172 (Novice)
User ID 55425

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Wizardry Online Launches
25. No subject Jan 31, 2013, 15:16 D_K_night

I was completely let down that this turned out to be just another third-person perspective game which resembles more hack-and-slash or MMO-type fighting, rather than the good-old days of what Wizardly just used to be.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
22. No subject Dec 31, 2012, 15:42 D_K_night

my expectation is that 40 years from now, I dust off an EA game, and I expect to be able to play it.

I paid good money for that, and that expectation is neither whiny, entitled, nor misguided.

My Pong, Atari 2600, Odyssey, and Vectrex consoles TO THIS DAY still function.

AND NO I don't care if some of you think I won't be alive. What if I still am in 40 years.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patched
22. No subject Dec 12, 2012, 20:05 D_K_night

Zan Lynx wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 15:54:
LgFriess wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 15:15:
The problem I found was, despite the story, the game play is still the old school MMO stuff. By that I mean packs of mobs just standing there waiting to die, dailies (the most horrible video game idea ever...EVER), grind, 95% repeated missions with different characters.

I played for the first 6 months, found a good guild, had some fun times, but it is what it is... WoW in space but not as good.
I think you must have burnt out playing WoW. See, I never played WoW and I'm still having a ton of fun in SWTOR a year later. It helps that I play a reasonable number of hours a week and don't burn through all 8 class stories in two months, I suppose.

I think that you know what you find boring, but did you consider the alternatives? I've played text MUDs that had zones with hunting packs of coordinating monsters. It was NOT FUN. There isn't time to plan, there isn't time to recover between fights and you can get curb stomped by multiple roaming groups at once. It may be more realistic but in order to win you need to have group coordination on the level of a military unit or a SWAT team, with a command hierarchy, formations and reserve units. Most gamers just don't have the time to learn how to do that. The gaming guilds that are that good would love it, I am sure, but the number of subscribers to a game like that would be low. Very low.

And it is a sad fact of life that creating content is always slower than consuming it, which means gamers will always be hitting the end of the available quests/missions, leaving nothing to do but repeat them over and over or play PvP which at least provides a new challenge each time.

I always find it interesting that people call Everquest and WoW "old school" and believe their game play is the original. Most people don't realize that the older text-based MUD games have tried most everything, long before WoW or EQ were around. There were games with evolving worlds; randomized world layouts; killer enemy squad AI that would hunt you down across the entire world map, cut off your retreat and even back off and heal themselves when losing; monsters that would regularly attack the town guards and sometimes sack the place, killing all the newbies as they logged in. There were games with fully unrestricted PvP where groups of players would sack the town and kill all the newbies logging in, or force them to pay to drink at the town fountain or die, or epic level mages would charm all the players in town and order them to jump into the pit.

Most of those things didn't get into the big games because THEY'RE NOT THAT FUN. Which is why "old school" MMO stuff that WoW uses is everywhere: because the formula works, for the most part.

And all those things you described happened all in a text-based format. Why did you leave the MUDs then, if they were still superior to graphical stuff?

I think also that much of the stuff you describe was embellished quite a bit. The "AI" you describe is pretty easy to simulate or make you think it's "intelligent" when you're constantly typing and feeding the game the location where you'll be or where you want to go.

There are games that have those things in there. Try Darkfall.

News Comments > MS Planning Annual "Windows Blue" Releases?
4. No subject Nov 28, 2012, 22:50 D_K_night

oh Microsoft.

I cannot even fathom, the sheer number of horrible BSOD puns headed their way.

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
82. No subject Nov 18, 2012, 01:52 D_K_night

Dades wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 17:05:
bigspender wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 16:52:
so whats the big deal? make your game anyway you want, and then release a separate tiled application to act as a live shortcut if you so want.

I doubt it would pass certification.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Exactly correct. The point is, You can't just "make anything you want" anymore.

This fires a bullet into the head of nigh any material that's not Disney rated.

Want to have a controversial character who talks smack about religion(one of Square's games had this)? You don't pass certification.

Wanna amp up the violence, but in an "artistic" way? You might not pass certification.

Hey how about a horror title? You might not pass certification.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P
50. No subject Nov 17, 2012, 01:30 D_K_night

deqer wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 18:14:
Doesn't it just make you want to punch the guy in the face? Punch the guy that decided on all these restrictions?

Hell, it even makes me want to punch everyone at Bioware in the face.

No? C'mon, tell me. Tell me this don't make you want to punch someone in the face.

Grats EA/Bioware. You make people angry and make them feel like punching someone in the face.

And I wonder how THEY feel, towards an ungrateful complainer who wouldn't even play their game, nor like it, regardless of what they do or don't do.

Free game. That you can enjoy from beginning to end, at your own pace. They all but GAVE you a free game which, to many, plays fine enough as a single player title. FREE.

49. No subject Nov 17, 2012, 01:27 D_K_night

OK guys.

If they gave you everything in the game, no restrictions, no difference between you and the guy with a sub...why would ANYONE sub, then? Why wouldn't everyone just play for free?

Some of you are just plain asking for too much. The intent of F2P, is to show "ok, here's our game. You can do MOST things without paying a dime. but if you want the very best experience, pay up". How is that unfair? Conversely, if I'm a paying customer, why should the fella beside me, who's playing for free, get access to everything that I do, free of charge?

Honestly what if all they did, was level cap to 20, but enabled everything else. Would that make you guys happier? Sheesh.

21. SWTOR F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:35 D_K_night

Cutter wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:42:
This isn't F2P it's a crippled demo. Lol. Obviously they'd fuck it up just like they fucked up making it. It boggles the mind how they just don't get it.

But it's a "demo" that allows you to complete the entire campaign from beginning to end. All the things you would have been able to do with a sub - you can still do, as F2P...it's just a bit more expensive or more time consuming.

Fair trade IMO when you get to play for free.

19. SWTOR Nov 16, 2012, 12:28 D_K_night

well looking at the comparison chart here:

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

You can see that with the F2P version...if you just want to play the game for the campaign...you can. Mousing over the greyed-out features shows they're not totally disabled - they're still usable.

honestly guys even with all the F2P "restrictions"(which really, they're more like debuffs), you can still complete the game from beginning to end, you can still play flashpoints...it's a complete game honestly.

News Comments > StarCraft II Global Play Coming
13. No subject Nov 10, 2012, 17:47 D_K_night

OpticNerve wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 02:18:
Wow, they're finally adding this in? Thought this was patched in ages ago. Pretty glad I passed on this game.

you weren't about to buy it regardless of whether they had it or not

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Groupon Nov 4, 2012, 04:33 D_K_night

Ouch. total pump and dump...  

News Comments > Darkfall Online Closing When Unholy Wars Arrives
4. No subject Oct 6, 2012, 00:52 D_K_night

sigh give it up Darkfall. All your customers are either playing Guild Wars 2 or MoP.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. No subject Sep 19, 2012, 04:22 D_K_night

Netflix has horrible selection here in Canada. I don't know why they had to segregate the selection between US and Canada.  

News Comments > The Secret World Lead Laid Off
34. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Sep 12, 2012, 03:41 D_K_night

jdwohlever wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:01:
Am I the only one who sees the writing on the wall?
MMO's are DYING.
Years ago, an MMO would last at least 5 years before it became unprofitable, but now it seems they fail with 6 months.

Name any MMO's that were around 10 years ago that are still around today, I can think of only one. And to be honest, that is the main reason I don't dip into the MMO genre anymore. I don't want to spend months or years developing a character, organizing a guild, learning the ins and outs of the land and various locations, only to get shut-down once I start to become a real master at the game.

I have dedicated a lot of free time a couple of MMO's that went belly-up over the years and I really do see a trend that is speeding up. Used to be, the only online franchises I would stay away from was anything from EA, as EA has never kept a successful online experience for more than a couple years (MotorCity Online, that space one, etc) but now its seems everyone but WoW has failed at the MMO model.

Maybe if there was a re-birth of what an MMO could be, instead of always following the same cookie cutter plot, then they might have a chance.
Running through a boring town 5 times to deliver a boring message to someone about something you don't care about isn't going to hold a person's interest for long.
Why is WoW the only succesful MMO left?
Because the colorful, engaging world makes people want to be there. If you took away WoW's colorful settings and variety of locations and instances and replaced them with realistic dull environments, WoW be gone within 6 months.
You have to make people WANT to escape to your world.
PvP can't hold a person if they don't care what they are fighting for. If they made stories that people actually cared about and didn't just give you a mission that really sounds more like your a lacky fetching cookies and coffee then maybe they could get somewhere.
Think about it, if your game plot/story is so boring that people don't want to read the back story or even listen to an NPC tell you the story, then what is supposed to hold the players to your game?
They always proclaim their endgame PvP like it's some magical place you get to after sloughing through the PvE story.
I got news for you, a lot of people, myself included, play an MMO for the PvE or story first. If your story or PvE is bad then just focusing on PvP isn't going to keep players long unless your willing to nerf and buff everything they demand, which changes weekly.
Build a great enough world, with an exciting and engaging story that keeps players interested and actually caring whether there faction is winning the war. Make winning the war a real reason people would want to fight. Either remove pointless "kill ten sheep" grinding, or turn it into something more engaging that people would do anyway.
Too many rules, restrictions and heartless plot points take away not only from the players sense of purpose, but make the player feel like they are seen as non-intelligent pawns just going through the same motions in a pointless fetch quest.
If you can't make the individual feel special, or that he/she matters in the grand scheme of things, then your not going to fool many people for very long.

Sounds like you want an MMO which is more of a Sandbox game. well guess what, "they" already tried to do that. Darkfall is one of them, but it's so horribly niche that nobody plays it. As for Darkfall's storyline...no idea. But then nobody talks about it, so I'll probably take a guess in saying that it's no better, but no worse, than anyone else's.

Star Wars tried to be engaging with a good story. How do you make an engaging story which isn't driven on rails? That seems to be something that you have a big problem with - a story which is on rails, filled with plot twists that you don't agree with.

Almost sounds like, the only type of game that could possibly exist which'll please you, is one which is completely driven by the players. The NPC...is the player. Problem is, who's gonna want to be the maiden in distress, "give quests" to people to kill this boss, then reward said players when boss is dead? Or more to the point, what player is gonna want to reprise that role many hundreds, if not thousands of times over and over?

That's a crude example, but you could apply this towards any type of "storyline" that's driven and written by the players in a sandbox game(which is sounding like what you actually want).

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. No subject Aug 11, 2012, 00:58 D_K_night

"The message from players exiting the game is clear: 40% say they were turned off by the monthly subscription, and many indicate they would come back if we offer a free-to-play model,"

- WRONG. That's not the reason players left.

The reason they left, was not because of the subscription fee, but because the content within the game didn't justify the sub fee.

If the sub fee really was the reason, then why didn't WoW immediately implode and die? It's because, as dated as the game is(for the moment in time, until their next expansion)...I apologize for saying this guys, but WoW is still a very good game. Engine responsiveness second to none, plenty of content to explore...list goes on forever.

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
58. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jul 31, 2012, 23:00 D_K_night

Closed Betas wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:54:
Icewind wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:47:
The MMO has been dead as a genre for years. I know, tell me how everyone and your mother plays WoW and that Guild Wars was bluesnews.com's special game...but you know WOW is only popular due to gamer peer pressure and GW is, well...an old folks game.

The genre is dead.

Now can we make some singleplayer games for fuck's sake?

Sorry, you are just way off base. The problem is the approach of making the game, cookie cutter quest storyline character development, with no true combat, catering to the young player, with no clue how to create an economy or spending time on itemization. This is why they are all choosing the BIG NAME IP's, as its a easy cash out...
Nothing short of big suits, sucking up dollars with no real care for the products... Technology will advance and this will change..

As for single player games.. SWTOR is a single player game.. lol...
So was Age of Conan, so is just about everything else.
Why its online is anyone's guess.. Until a game removes solo'ing ability from the MP games, they will suffer and the game communities will fail because it gives a reason to be a douche.. If you needed others, you'd think twice about how your acting in game.

Let this be a lesson to any other would-be MMO makers.

1) Please don't purposefully exclude essential things like combat logs, dungeon finder/raid finder

2) Please don't spend a freaking fortune on voice acting which all but obliterated your budget. Everyone just space-bar'ed through it anyways(the second time around).

3) Think carefully before you hemorrhage cash on a brand name like Star Wars. Kotick ended up being right along, and that kills us.

4) Please make an auction house equal to, or better than, wow's AH. And yes D3's AH SUCKS. WoW's auction house is the standard - make yours either the same or better.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jul 31, 2012, 00:17 D_K_night

Beamer wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 14:21:
El Pit wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 14:13:
The Surface. Brilliant. It's a portable computer with an attached keyboard. REVOLUTIONARY! Let's call it... A NOTEBOOK!

Well, can you name another tablet-sized full computer? One that you can dock to your monitor, mouse and keyboard while working, then undock and bring to a meeting as just a tablet with a stylus for note taking, then put in a protective case with a thin attached keyboard to get work done on an airplane without taking up any more space than an iPad?

I can't. And that's the value of it, though I highly doubt the first version will be able to support multiple monitors, or even have a proper docking station for outputting to monitors, which diminishes its usefulness.

MacBook Air. Or Ultrabook.

By using it on a plane, I assume you're referring to standing that thing on the fold-up tray.

Before you assume the world can be done on the Surface, you might wanna check the reviews on the Metro interface and what the users actually thought of it.

Short story = Metro UI, designed for touch, sure. Underneath Metro is the Windows 7 UI which is NOT optimized for touch at all. Office on the surface was also NOT optimized for touch. You wouldn't even want to use Office without the full-size keyboard.

Why not just get a Macbook Air or Ultrabook if you wanna "get work done".

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
21. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jul 11, 2012, 19:41 D_K_night

Sepharo wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 23:47:
She's an employee of Facebook... If they don't want her being "stern" then she shouldn't be. Maybe they thought they were hiring a happy-go-lucky yoga teacher and not a stickler.

Actually she says it herself:
"The culture of these places is to let them do whatever they want," she said. "And I'm just not really OK with anarchy."

Oh well then, looks like you aren't a good fit.

Ooo! you nailed it.

LOL Anarchy. Does she even know what anarchy is? using it to describe a tech campus?

She forgets that she is the guest on Facebook campus, and not the other way around. She was dealt with appropriately, and rightfully so.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans
57. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans Jul 5, 2012, 14:37 D_K_night

Fletch wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 19:55:
Does every fucking game have to have fucking achievements? How about the achievement of finishing the game? Like every other achievement in every game with achievements, it won't count for shit in your pathetic life, but you probably need SOMETHING to feel good about yourself that you can twitter to the fellow losers who follow you.

Anyhoo... can't wait to play it.

You and I will see the whole "achievement" thing as laughable, being hard core gamers, but apparently this entire concept of "achievements" seems to have worked on the masses.

It gives people something to strive for, which in turn keeps them hooked on the game.

News Comments > EU to Allow Digital Software Resales?
30. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 15:29 D_K_night

OK so:

Let's say I finished playing Batman. Now I want to resell that digital license of Batman - to you.

So by this EU ruling, I should then be able to to decouple that Batman license from my Steam profile, and transfer the game over to you, correct?

Question: If Steam wishes to charge me for this license transfer - is that illegal?

172 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo