Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sergio Brinkhuis

Real Name Sergio Brinkhuis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname FalconerHG
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.hookedgamers.com
Signed On Dec 21, 2009, 08:55
Total Comments 44 (Suspect)
User ID 55415

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
33. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 7, 2012, 03:30 FalconerHG

If you've just read the headline, you'll have lots to discuss.

If, on the other hand, you've read the actual quote, you will see Brian Hall is only listing a number of new Microsoft products and happened to start with Windows 8. That doesn't mean that every product following is based on Windows 8.

Bad journalism

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Jun 4, 2012, 10:14 FalconerHG

Loved Metro 2033 as well. Fantastic ambiance, often bordering on awaking claustrophobic feelings and pretty scary at times.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 26, 2012, 07:34 FalconerHG

Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 25, 2012, 13:13:
ANNO 2070 IS STILL HANGING IN THERE REGARDLESS OF ALL THE BOYCOTTING PC GAMERS1!!

The fact that Anno is still in there actually means that PC gamers aren't boycotting.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Feb 13, 2012, 16:49 FalconerHG

Prez wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 14:05:
First off, I was bashing the devs, not your review, which was pretty good. Second, I understand that Turn-based games may be out of fashion with the bean counters, but if bean counters ran the world we wouldn't have ever gotten Simcity or Civilization, so I can't for the life of me understand why people are okay with them running the games industry. I also don't get all the excuses for the co-opting of once great turn-based franchises like X-Com and JA. You want to make a FPS with aliens? Fine - just don't call it X-Com. Don't even TRY to pass this game off as Jagged Alliance, because it's not. Had it just been called "Back in Action" and refered to as a "spiritual successor" to JA, the whole shitstorm could have been avoided.

As it is, I hope the game they call a remake and then raped the core mechanics out of, that IS NOT A GODDAMNED JAGGED ALLIANCE REMAKE, fails miserably.

I didn't think you were bashing my review, glad to read you liked it though.

I totally agree with you. I absolutely love TB games and they are consistently the games I play for years on end. And yep, Xcom FPS made me angry and I'm glad Firaxis is working on a REAL Xcom (at least it looks that way).

I do feel BiA is a remake though, it is far more similar to the original JA2 than it is different. There is good reason to believe the Currie's would have made the franchise real time at some point too. (and even if they had, I'd still have preferred it TB hehe)

6. Re: Game Reviews Feb 13, 2012, 06:34 FalconerHG

Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 05:10:
I've played JA2 at least once a year since it's release, usually to completion.

BiA is missing a great deal of features that JA players are accustomed to having. This isn't "hardcores" being "hardcore", it's that BiA offers less of a game. The original is superior, and the graphics and control systems have aged well enough that there is no reason to play a newer inferior product.

Do yourself a favour and play the original.

That's certainly good advice, but considering the amount of fun I'm having with BiA, I think it's too easy to say that it's less of a game.

Small mods are already appearing and I'm certain the modding community will work valiantly to add stuff to BiA, proving it to be a great base for a JA2 1.13-like experience.

4. Re: Game Reviews Feb 13, 2012, 02:05 FalconerHG

Prez wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 18:07:
The Hooked Gamers review of Back in Action (I refuse to call it Jagged Alliance) has the following blurb as a major plus in their review:

"Plan-and-go is a good alternative to Turn-Based Combat..."

I am still waiting for someone to explain why we NEEDED an alternative to a system that is perfect as it is. Goddamn, the arrogance and ignorance of some developers is irksome.

Hi Prez, that's my review.

You can't explain why we need it. It works, but as you can also read in my review, I'd still prefer turn-based. We (those that love TB) don't need it but saying something is turn-based does scare away a large number of prospective buyers, so to sell the amounts they need to sell, the publisher and the developer need it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action
30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 11:07 FalconerHG

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 07:25:
I think you should play JA2 1.13 and equip a sniper rifle with scope and bipod and try aiming at things to see what i mean with 1.2
And for suppression mechanic.. i'd advice you start up JA2 1.13 with a MG and ctrl+fire across an area...
As for destruction, i'd advice equipping some TNT and planting it around in each corner of a building and try it out, if thats minor for you, then what do you consider the laughable joke of a destruction system in this remake?

As for 1.1 start up JA2 1.13 with a solder that has agility (or whatever it was called, dexterity) and camp around a corner and wait till an enemy walks around it, thats an interrupt. The instant reaction of your merc - where he can shoot at opportunity targets.

As for 3) They do so automatically with a huge delay, making that setting entirely pointless in a "camping at a corner and waiting for a guy to walk by" situation. I tried this 5 times, in all 5 times the guy with a machete walked up to my merc before he could fire. That was in crouched position with a loaded gun.

4) As i said, there is 2 vital stop points missing in the menu.
5) There is no setting anywhere to toggle aimed mode like it worked in JA2

6) Is absolutely true, cover mechanic as in hugging a wall (not a JA2 feature but in a 3d-game i expect this to be there)

Just too lazy to detail each point, game is crap when compared to JA2 1.13 thats all there is to say.

JA2 1.13 is a modded-to-death version of the vanilla JA2. The modding community probably sank more time into creating that than any game developer ever did on their game and as such it's just not fair to compare.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 05:42 FalconerHG

TheBeefiest wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 23:12:
The pausable real-time is actually fairly good, and it has a very old school feeling in terms of enemies (and you) will die very quickly if you aren't careful.

However it also has the new school feeling of completely untested and unfinished software, I can't believe how every single game has total show stoppers now.

Not true, why do so many people feel they need to spout nonsense about the game?

Back in Action is stable and after nearly 80 hours of gameplay (I've been playing it for two months), I have yet to encounter a single showstopping bug. The preview builds from December had some load/save issues but that was fixed shortly after Xmas.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 05:39 FalconerHG

space captain wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 00:22:
actually the pausable real-time is not fairly good, its fairly shit

just so you know

Play a little longer than an hour before you say that. It took me about two hours to get used to P&G and everyone I know that has been playing the game (all as skeptical as I was) has said P&G works fine, even if they also said to still prefer TB.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 05:35 FalconerHG

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 02:28:
If by worked fine you mean (And i respect you think its OK, but just to lits why its a bad JA game..)

1) Enemies running straight at you when you have your weapon in aim-position and are literally looking through the iron sights... you have a 2.5s delay before you shoot - in 2.5 seconds a good sprinter can run up to you and knock you out... BAD

1.1) No Interrupt system, no AP system

1.2) No Aim zones and aim locks at zones, no delayed aim (aim for 1 whole round, then fire the next)

2) You can see all enemies on the map and their weapons and their patrol routes and their health. BAD

3) There is no "shoot to kill" order - BAD (which means you always shoot too much or too little)

4) Real time in combat BAD, and terrible because lots of auto-stop features missing

5) There doesn't seem to be any way to actually AIM before shooting to shoot instantly when enemy is in sight (least not as an GUI button) BAD

6) No Cover mechanic - if you have me suffer through real-time why can't my guys get properly into cover?

7) No Suppression mechanic

8) No (apparent) enemy moral

9) No gore

10) No -Create your own merc- mode one of the pinnacle and most important features of JA2

11) No destruction except on predefined points. Makes the whole town-moral system useless. In JA2 a badly thrown grenade or shot RPG could blow up parts of the city that really became damaged and damaged your standing massively.

Thats just from the Demo. Terrible shame to the JA name

There are some good points here, but it's worth being accurate when you're casting criticism.

1.1: not true, there is a setting in the menu that will enable this
1.2: not sure what you mean by this
2: true, wish it weren't
3: they do so automatically if you set mercs on guard mode
4: see 1.1
5: see 1.1
6: simply not true
7: not sure what you mean by this
8: true, and the moral for your own mercs doesn't seem to play a role
9: Awww...
10: Awww...
11: I think you've been imagining things. (there is a VERY MINOR destruction component in JA2)

News Comments > Sunday Previews
12. Re: Sunday Previews Jan 9, 2012, 03:25 FalconerHG

Prez wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 20:05:
I'm getting a little tired of previews that make excuses for the removal of the turn-based combat in Jagged Alliance.

Prez: I wrote that preview after ~60 hours of playing the game, which is a mere drop in the sea of time I spent with JA1, Deadly Games, JA2, its expansion packs and some of its bigger mods. I absolutely LOVE JA and I was very afraid that the removal of turn-based would hurt gameplay. If you give it a chance and play for a couple of hours, you will see that it doesn't.

I would have loved a TB game as well but it's getting harder and harder to convince publishers to do TB games. If the trend is towards something like Stop & Go, then it's definitely not a bad replacement.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 11, 2011, 07:53 FalconerHG

We took the team opinions (there's ~ 30 of us) as the main base for the GotY but had other things influence the results as well so that it wasn't a "this game was played and liked by most people, so it wins" kinda thing. The clashing opinions were definitely there though, and especially Uncharted 3 as the PS3 winner was hotly debated.  

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 11, 2011, 07:48 FalconerHG

I played it, I liked it, thought it had the best driving mechanics for a non-racing game, good shooting mechanics and great visuals (both quality and art). And then after about... 8 hours or so, I put it aside and haven't looked back.  

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 10, 2011, 16:12 FalconerHG

Yup, LA Noire is an odd duck. Rage gave us similarly conflicting emotions.  

News Comments > AVault for Sale
13. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 04:36 FalconerHG

And we still miss him. He was such a character. (Billy)  

News Comments > AVault for Sale
12. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 03:15 FalconerHG

It's amazing how long Avault held out with virtually no content at all. I loved the old Avault. It was THE site for me and it inspired me to start my own (hookedgamers.com). I'm not surprised the reboot a couple of years ago did not pan out, there's too much competition and the new Avault offered little over other offerings. Personally, I though Angel had already left and it surprises me he was apparently still leading the company.  

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Online Beta Signups
6. Re: Jagged Alliance Online Beta Signups Oct 20, 2011, 03:31 FalconerHG

Had a JA:O demonstration at GamesCom. It looks like the kind of game fans of the series could play and there is a crossover in the gameplay, but I don't feel the Jagged Alliance name really applies. Check my preview:

http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/jagged_alliance_online/preview/article-929.html

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action is indeed a remake but takes some liberties with the gameplay. I'm hopeful that it will be close to the original (which would be fine with me for now) but not 100% convinced yet. The fact that it wasn't shown at GamesCom isn't a good sign, though publisher Kalypso has a good track record reviving old franchises.

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: Evening Previews Jan 4, 2011, 11:04 FalconerHG

Maybe because not everyone actually -KNOWS- that information?  

News Comments > The Settlers 7 DLC
6. Re: The Settlers 7 DLC Jul 8, 2010, 03:21 FalconerHG

Yup, the game is great fun although you shouldn't expect it to be like any of the previous settlers game. The building/expanding premise is still there but games are short and furious.

Check my review: http://tinyurl.com/36jts7w

News Comments > Op Ed
58. Re: Op Ed Mar 30, 2010, 17:08 FalconerHG

PropheT wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 21:34:
FalconerHG wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 14:01:
The thing that I find interesting in all these discussions, is that the people who disagree with a particular standpoint, often (not always) can't manage much else than say "it sucks and it's a stupid article".

*snip*

I'm not a pirate just because I play games on my PC, and I'm really sick of being treated like one.

That, I can certainly understand. Personally I really don't mind Ubi's DRM and that's because (if used properly) it doesn't have to install all sorts of rootkits and whatnot. And yes, I have a good connection to the net (if it's down for more than 30 minutes a year, it's a lot).

The thing is, while I'm not the author of that piece, I do thing that Ubi's new DRM is where we're heading. If it isn't with locally installed games that require persistent connections, it will indeed be with services like OnLive. I'm dreading the moment already as I am one of those dinosaurs that wants to hold the disc in his hands.

44 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo