Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sergio Brinkhuis

Real Name Sergio Brinkhuis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname FalconerHG
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.hookedgamers.com
Signed On Dec 21, 2009, 08:55
Total Comments 44 (Suspect)
User ID 55415

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed
44. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 05:10 FalconerHG

It actually wasn't that bad of a game at all. I was in the C&C alpha, the only real complaint that I had was it seemed far too fast paced for me, which is a shame because it damned well looked pretty, played nice, and I enjoyed every bit of it.

I played the game at Gamescom and I have to disagree: it looked very bland.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 30, 2013, 06:31 FalconerHG

Raspberry Pi does nothing. VPN does, and there is nothing new there. VPN connections can be made from any PC and almost every smartphone or tablet. It's a fun application of the Raspberry Pi, but the device itself can claim no credit here. Dumb article.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2013, 11:14 FalconerHG

EA's CTO is nuts. But then again, this is probably the same person who said SimCity would run fine on 4 servers at launch.  

News Comments > SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded?
24. Re: SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded? Mar 18, 2013, 15:00 FalconerHG

Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 13:10:
I agree with your comments here, FalconerHG, but I can't agree with your review summary that it's a "Wonderfully deep simulation". It's woefully shallow and more-so than always-online (which was my fault for being dumb enough forget about) the shallow simulation is what lets it down. It is fun despite it apparently trying hard to disappoint at every opportunity.

In some ways, it is not as deep as the older games, in others, it is way deeper. City specializations add a lot to the original gameplay, as do building great works and the ability to work together building up a region. To me, these contribute more to the depth than is being taken away elsewhere.

14. Re: SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded? Mar 18, 2013, 12:22 FalconerHG

Dev wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 12:18:
This is the first simcity thread you've commented in since its release. I'm curious, have you had any of the numerous problems as seen in bluesnews stories for the past couple weeks? Were you able to play in the first few days after release without problems? Have you come across any of the silly AI glitches in the game? Have you tried playing with strangers in the region or only friends?

I have no doubt that some people enjoy the game, I'm just curious as to the details of your personal experience with it, and if its been problem free, or if you just persevered despite the problems.

Yes, I have. This is my review for Hooked Gamers to clarify:
http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/simcity_5/review/article-1036.html

12. Re: SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded? Mar 18, 2013, 12:21 FalconerHG

Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 11:57:
FalconerHG wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 11:54:
Actually, don't you think it is possible that people still enjoy this game? (I am, and I have two friends who play it every day as well).

Since you asked, I think it's possible people could potentially enjoy it for a short period of time until they start bumping into the games limitations. But it really has nothing to do with what I was saying, if the time check is annoying then people can essentially patch it out with Cheat Engine or another memory editor.

If you meant the crappy game comment, I've played it with a friend for awhile and I think it's a crappy game It's not awful but it's certainly far from good, the best thing I can say about it is that the early game stuff works well when the servers cooperate but the restrictive city size and shitty AI ruin most other aspects for me.

I've spent quite some time with the game over the last week and a half and I can honestly say that most of the server issues are over. Since the first weekend after launch, I've been booted out of the game 4 times and have had trouble logging in twice, neither lasted for more than a few minutes. Not a perfect score, but there are many online games that do a lot worse, even months after their release.

I agree with the city size, maps are tiny. While there is a fun challenge to be found in there as well, I think map size should have been a choice rather than forced upon the player.

It has everything to do with the shitty AI though. I can see them downsizing the map so that the game can handle an complex AI in an earlier build, then not solving the AI issues and deciding on using a simplistic AI but never restoring the map size.

Both - are - problems and while I think they will fix 'm, I have to agree that at this point in time, the game is severely hampered.

But that does not necessarily mean it is not fun.

Making a good/cool city DESPITE the AI and size is an (unmeant) challenge on its own. My two friends and I love playing with the three of us, talking over Skype to share ideas and findings. But I've also enjoyed playing long stretches alone.

Consider that Blue's readers are not your average gamer. We are actually able to see the AI/pathing issues, we realize some of the stupid design decisions, we can pinpoint the flaws. But most of all, we read up on the game online and read all the criticisms, the hacks, the complaints as the story evolves.

Most SimCity players aren't as sophisticated when it comes to gaming. SC has always been somewhere between a casual and core game and the casuals will not realize any of this, thinking it it part of the game.

Even the core gamers who are not reading all the news will probably not notice the problems beyond the server issues. Their thoughts will be along the line of "Oh, my roads are clogged up, how does the game intend for me to solve that?".

In short, I think you are underestimating how many people play the game and love the experience.

8. Re: SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded? Mar 18, 2013, 11:54 FalconerHG

Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 09:06:
Someone was mentioning you can just change a memory address to get around it and upload your city changes later.

Better yet, don't buy this crappy game

Actually, don't you think it is possible that people still enjoy this game? (I am, and I have two friends who play it every day as well).

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Feb 5, 2013, 03:54 FalconerHG

Unfortunately so.

Well, at least no one will accuse us of not having our own opinion.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Omerta Feb 4, 2013, 03:36 FalconerHG

Yup, this is the review.

Impressed is perhaps a bit too strong a word, but I'm definitely very positive about the game. Omerta is different from the mold and while I was playing it, I already had a feeling that it would not please everyone.

I think that is mostly because expectations. I've been getting a little ticked off seeing other reviews make statements like "The idea sounded so good, a city builder with XCOM-style combat...". Just because Haemimont did a couple of city builders, Omerta is one? And XCOM is in a league of its own. Kalypso never advertised either of these things and Omerta was never meant to be either.

And of course "expectations" formed earlier than those reviews. Personally I too was hoping for a big map, and I was hoping for more RTS play, just like you. My own expectations (or hopes) were that this would be like Gangsters: Organized Crime. It took me an hour or so to shake that idea.

After I managed that, I could judge the game on its own merits and really started enjoying it. I really did want to play more when I finished the game, which means a lot to me when I score.

News Comments > Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players
12. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 26, 2013, 17:41 FalconerHG

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:18:
As I said, based on steam and forum activity ^^ I would be very surprised if they had more than 10k

But on the other hand, i don't really care. What I hear about this game makes me not want to even try it, even if its free.

Small update.

World 7 is open for 5 days now and has 16k players. Granted, most of them come from the other 6 English worlds, but even so, that's a good number.

News Comments > Omerta City of Gangsters Demo
13. Re: Omerta City of Gangsters Demo Jan 24, 2013, 16:16 FalconerHG

Prez wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 16:07:
I am really interested in this. I still fire up "Gangsters" that I got from GOG every so often and still enjoy it. A mob strategy game is a wonderful concept. Yeah, Kalypso has a spotty track record with stabile and finished releases, but barring any complete show-stoppers I can see myself forgiving a whole lot if they get the "Godfather meets XCOM " vibe down. I think I'll wait on reviews instead of trying the demo (I only use demos to try out concepts that I'm on the fence about), but major kudos to them for releasing one at any rate.

Actually, I think most of their releases are pretty good. There are very few titles that are released without any problems at all, but I've played pretty much every Kalypso game to date and have found all to be of good quality upon release. I never played Pegasus, which even Kalypso is more than a little embarrassed (and sorry) about.

You mention XCOM: how long did it take Firaxis to fix that teleportation bug that made classic/ironman ridiculously frustrating to play? And what about that one ship where panning the camera would turn into a psychedelic circus? Kalypso is no better or worse than most respected publishers.

Word of warning though, this is not Gangsters. If you like Gangsters, I think you will like this, but the scope is definitely different. Also don't expect it to be much like XCOM (I mean gameplay, not the setting). It's a very different game.

10. Re: Omerta City of Gangsters Demo Jan 24, 2013, 15:44 FalconerHG

I don't know where they got the 15 hours from. Perhaps you can do it if that is all you focus on, but I think you will need at least 20 hours, probably a bit more. (my Steam says 50 hours, but that includes quite a bit of time where the game was running but I wasn't near the screen)

Also, someone noted that there is no tutorial. I haven't tried the demo (of course) but the full game has a very decent tutorial.

5. Re: Omerta City of Gangsters Demo Jan 24, 2013, 10:50 FalconerHG

I've been playing Omerta for a week or so (early access for a review). It's a solid, polished game and there is no reason to worry about a repeat of the bug-fest that Pegasus was.

Review is under embargo, so I can't go into details, but look for it on Hooked Gamers on launch day.

News Comments > Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players
10. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 22, 2013, 06:24 FalconerHG

Most people don't play SHK via Steam so you can't use that as a reference.

And you can play the game perfectly fine without paying a dime. (though for about 5 bucks a month, you buy a lot of convenience)

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants Oct 11, 2012, 03:59 FalconerHG

Quboid wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 23:33:
Is this the same game as has been available in Europe for months, or does Pirates & Merchants refer to a new expansion pack?

I think only the PC version was available. These are console versions. It's the full game, not an expansion.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:02 FalconerHG

DarkCntry wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 10:48:
The only vastly different thing is that you don't have the finer control over your squad members. Most of the stuff is done under-the-hood in terms of stances and what-not, which is not nearly a bad thing as most perceive it to be.

The other minor difference is the interceptor side of things, you don't have a range adjustment ability, they were replaced with the uplink abilities.

Right, so you feel that these majorly important gameplay characteristics are simply remade:

> Encountering aliens, they scuttle away to safety, after which trench warfare resolves the conflict. (in the old game, an encounter could result in aliens shooting at you right away, or you shooting them - that was far more nailbiting than it is now)

> Maps are no longer random. There's only about 100, pre-made maps.

> Games universally last less than a day. (the old games were epic in length)

> No more Action Points

There are more, but these three are such enormously different that it is difficult to label the new game with the term 'remake'.

A remake is taking the original concepts and mechanics and putting it into a new engine.

Don't get me wrong, the new Xcom is great, but it's not a remake. (this is why developers have invented the term 're-imagining').

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 10:39 FalconerHG

DarkCntry wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 10:20:
Well, it's a really good remake. The elements of the original are there and if you aren't jaded, the game really plays just like the original just prettier.

I think you:

1) misunderstand the concept of what a remake is
2) are right about all of the elements being there (a good thing)
3) are off your rockers for thinking that this plays like the original, its a vastly different game

That's not to say that it's a bad game. It may well be "Xcom evolved" and even be not that far from what Mythos would have created had they built the game today.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer
12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Aug 27, 2012, 05:50 FalconerHG

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 15:39:
This is probably one of my more 'top games' that I'm looking forward to playing this year.
Hours and hours searching for that last damn alien hiding in a corner...

I'm afraid that's not in the books for the new Xcom. Maps felt very linear and smallish. Only played for an hour though, and it's possible that maps become bigger later on.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer
11. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Aug 27, 2012, 05:44 FalconerHG

Nope, the haven't. I've played the game at Gamescom (report here: http://www.hookedgamers.com/x360/xcom_enemy_unknown/preview/article-1066.html) and liked it, but it does not play like the traditional Xcom. It's your average turn-based tactical game, somewhat similar to that (pretty good) Warhammer game on PSP.

What I don't get is that they are marketing this as some sort of action game. I can't for the life of me fathom why anyone would try to push the game into that vertical, simply because it isn't. It is offputting to fans of the Xcom franchise and while it will lure action gamers in, it will disappoint them.

News Comments > Sunday Previews
3. Re: Sunday Previews Aug 27, 2012, 05:32 FalconerHG

Hi ASeven,

I'm the author of the SC article and got to play it at Gamescom. I completely understand your concerns, but from what I've seen, the game is quite complete without DLC and the online part is actually quite a lot of fun. You can team up online with friends to build cities that complement each other, using a different focus for each city so you can specialize in what you want and still benefit from the specialization of your friend(s). It's really well done.

Of course EA - will - milk the DLC something fierce, but at this point, I think you can largely ignore it.

44 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo