Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for gilly775

Real Name gilly775   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 10, 2009, 03:20
Total Comments 444 (Amateur)
User ID 55394

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > BlackSpace Revealed
6. Re: BlackSpace Revealed Feb 22, 2012, 22:46 gilly775

Reminds me of Fragile Allegiance.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/fragile-allegiance

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sins of a Dark Age Announced
21. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 21, 2012, 23:14 gilly775

Blair, thanks for coming on and talking about this. It really is nice to see a Dev come on here not only to listen but also solicit suggestions!

Basically, like Prez said in his point 2, I've spent countless hundreds of hours in SP os SoaSE and the addons. I am also eagerly awaiting the beta of Rebellion after I pre-ordered last year. And like Prez said, I don't find a lot of "good players" to game with in those games.

Furthermore, I am a married, father of four IT guy who rarely has time for gaming, let alone MP gaming. However, with a SP mode, I prefer to at least pick on the AI without worrying about the shoddy Internet connection I have up here in NW Minnesota. Plus, as old as I am, I rarely stay alive for 5 seconds in most MP matches of FPS and RTS games.

Maybe it's my age, but I shy away from games of this nature not just because of having to buy in-game items to get an edge, but also because I frankly prefer SP gaming. I'm also finding that unlike my 20s, I'm enjoying more of the tactical WW2, Space, and Fantasy RTS/Turn-based games because of the replayability.

But, I wish Ironclad well on this venture. In the meantime, I will soak up some Sins!!!

News Comments > Sins of a Dark Age Announced
2. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 21, 2012, 17:14 gilly775

My interest shot to zero when I read "free to play" and "online." This would be awesome with a SP option, but oh well....  

News Comments > Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers Announced
8. Re: Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers Announced Feb 18, 2012, 13:36 gilly775

Prez wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 07:13:

The reason Matrix doesn't release screenshots because they would look completely identical from game to game, all consisting of boring square chits on hex-laden maps with minimal detail. They smartly prefer to market their games from a gameplay depth perspective and focus on the intangibles. Personally, I can't believe there are STILL people who want to play hardcore WW2 games (the majority of what Matrix releases). But then again, people STILL play chess after several thousand years.

Actually, they are not all the same. Take Distant Worlds or Battlefield Academy for example. They are far from the "hex-laden maps" you speak of.

6. Re: Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers Announced Feb 17, 2012, 22:56 gilly775

Wildone wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 15:51:
Not really lol I mean are they selling a visual media game or not? If its a book I understands but ya know, no ones gonna buy it unless they can see it. Marketing fail.

Matrix games does something similar with not releasing screenshots when they announce games. And you know what? They still sell to strategy enthusiasts.

If anything, this type of marketing "wets a whistle." Besides, if it is announced and the game is still in early stages, would you like to see a crappy screenshot? Nope. Marketing win there.

2. Re: Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers Announced Feb 17, 2012, 13:44 gilly775

Wildone wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 13:04:
No pics/media? Not a single shit is given.

Wow, love the sense of entitlement here. You know, not every announcement comes with "pics/media...."

News Comments > Ironclad Countdown?
2. Re: Ironclad Countdown? Feb 10, 2012, 22:18 gilly775

Prez wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 21:21:
Wouldn't this just be Sins Rebellion?

Doubt it. Stardock is publishing, not the publisher at the bottom of the page.

Plus, if you look at the background, it looks like some sort of griffon/large bird on the left. Given that and the font, I'm guessing some fantasy game.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Delayed to Fall
19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Delayed to Fall Jan 27, 2012, 14:45 gilly775

Hey, Paradox! You catching this??? This is what to do when your game isn't ready....  

News Comments > Paradox on Sword of the Stars 2 Problems
11. Re: Paradox on Sword of the Stars 2 Problems Jan 27, 2012, 14:44 gilly775

Quboid wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 11:23:
gilly775 wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 10:43:
A Kobayashi Maru scenario? Are you kidding me? This is nowhere near that scenario. There could be a win-win if it were noticed ahead of time and corrected at the start. There are companies that put games out that aren't nearly as bug-ridden and unfinished.

But it wasn't noticed ahead of time and corrected, so when the problems became clear it was too late. It was a no-win situation then.

Of course it could have been successful. Not a win-win, as there is only one path, but it could been successful.

Well, then delay it. Other companies do. Surely Paradox has many more titles they could get out the door especially with their decent sized catalog.

News Comments > Paradox on Sword of the Stars 2 Problems
1. Re: Paradox on Sword of the Stars 2 Problems Jan 27, 2012, 10:43 gilly775

A Kobayashi Maru scenario? Are you kidding me? This is nowhere near that scenario. There could be a win-win if it were noticed ahead of time and corrected at the start. There are companies that put games out that aren't nearly as bug-ridden and unfinished.  

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Tactics Trailer
6. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Tactics Trailer Jan 24, 2012, 23:47 gilly775

Parias wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 19:33:
space captain wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 19:09:
gilly775 wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 18:38:
Really no different than something like Silent Storm and that was pretty fun. I'm sure they did that to appease to newcomers.

what?? its entirely different than SS, which was just like JA2 where you dont see enemies until your units actually "see" or hear them

Yes, exactly - SS was completely based around a hearing system as well. What're you talking about?

I share the same concerns about the fog of war - maybe this is just a difficulty level thing.

Hmmm, maybe it's because I haven't played it in so long, but I don't recall a FoW, so I thought you saw your enemies all of the time.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Tactics Trailer
3. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Tactics Trailer Jan 24, 2012, 18:38 gilly775

Halo wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 15:05:
Don't like that all enemies are in plain view with no FOW. They should show up as a sound in their relative location to a mercs hearing...

Really no different than something like Silent Storm and that was pretty fun. I'm sure they did that to appease to newcomers.

News Comments > Stronghold 3 Patch
4. Re: Stronghold 3 Patch Jan 7, 2012, 20:11 gilly775

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 00:50:
No this is not that patch... the game simply isn't any fun to play, and i don't think a patch can fix that. Though the smaller building footprint is a good thing (fixes a lot of wall related build issues) but generally put, there is no AI and no Skirmish, so 0 replayability

And everyone should know that Firefly has said there will be no skirmish added as a patch in the future. I'm holding out for skirmish as a DLC but I'm also not holding my breath.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2012, 20:07 gilly775

panbient wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 19:24:
Hmmm... I seem to recall having played through Borderlands more than a few times with more than a few characters. My gun options were always...

Revolver
Automatic Pistol
Shotgun
Sub-machine gun
Assault rifle
Sniper rifle
Rocket launcher
Alien weapon

Granted I -DID- find oodles of variations of those 8 archetypes, but there were very much only 8 types of guns in Borderlands. This Bitmob author needs to learn the difference between cake and frosting before whining about design decisions again.

I think you were missing the point. The author was trying to convey that the variations of the standard issues were too much. The author only wanted 8 types period. I don't agree with the article because what made me play through Borderlands was the fun of killing baddies just to see what variation of gun I picked up.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Official Announcement
36. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Official Announcement Jan 6, 2012, 09:14 gilly775

Donkey_Punch wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 04:27:
Pardon me but please look away as a full grown man loses his cool...holy fuckity fuck shit fuckity wow!!

I need this game now!

Update: After reading the comments I came across info for an indie game called Xenonauts. Didn't know about it until now. What do other people think of Xenonauts? I am really tempted to spend the $20 and invest in the game but now that Firaxis has entered the arena will this kill the little guys like Xenonauts? Will it get finished?

http://www.xenonauts.com/

I preordered it just because I love games like this and the Devs are hard at work on it. With my the early build copy that's out, it's nowhere near being done, but they are doing a great job of communicating what's being added and what they are doing.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Official Announcement
25. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Official Announcement Jan 5, 2012, 20:04 gilly775

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 17:56:
Nice to hear they are remaking XCOM the way it should be. Dunno about Firaxis though, CIV5 was dumbed down for the masses and the AI blows chunks.

You do realize that Firaxis made other games that weren't "dumbed down," right? And I'm not sure if you've moved the difficulty slider over to the far right, but the AI pretty much blows you to chunks attempting to beat it...

News Comments > Game Reviews
16. Re: Game Reviews Dec 30, 2011, 14:41 gilly775

As much as I love FNV, I can't bring myself to buy the DLC compared to say the DLC for Civ 5. I can see myself playing Civ 5 a lot longer.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - X3: Albion Prelude
5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - X3: Albion Prelude Dec 15, 2011, 09:17 gilly775

Ludomancer wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 22:51:
I want to love these games. Played a bit of X3. The solitude was enjoyable... but that only lasted so long.

Really wanting a replacement for Elite 2 Frontier, eventually.

A bunch of people are working on a conversion of Elite called Pioneer:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/06/back-to-frontier-pioneer/

News Comments > PC Alan Wake Announced
2. Re: PC Alan Wake Announced Dec 14, 2011, 13:51 gilly775

This game caused my 5 year old XBox to RRoD. Kinda nervous to play it on my PC. lol  

News Comments > Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY
15. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 11, 2011, 20:36 gilly775

Alamar wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 18:44:
As for Skyrim as GOTY... I think it's a fine game... And I think, if it had been released in January, it wouldn't be up on the radar... -Alamar

Nah, people would have remembered it. Plus with the modding community behind it (because the mod kit would be out April/May), we would have some awesome mods for replayability. Nothing else would have come close....

444 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo