Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for gilly775

Real Name gilly775   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 10, 2009, 03:20
Total Comments 436 (Amateur)
User ID 55394

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Spec Ops: The Line Trailer
3. Re: Spec Ops: The Line Trailer Mar 12, 2012, 23:02 gilly775

Nothing will ever top the original Spec Ops....  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2012, 10:09 gilly775

Cutter wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 17:44:
Oh well, this is the corporate cronyism you get with republican governments. The people of Minnesota only have themselves to blame.

Ummmm, we have a democratic governor running our state, Cutter.

-Brian from Warren, MN

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Mar 8, 2012, 09:15 gilly775

Have you tried Arvoch Alliance yet? I didn't even know it was out from StarWraith.  

News Comments > New SimCity Announced
10. Re: New SimCity Announced Mar 7, 2012, 14:31 gilly775

Did I read/watch this right? Only a MP game?  

News Comments > Evening Previews
2. Re: Evening Previews Mar 6, 2012, 23:17 gilly775

You are over-reacting. These are the people that made Civilization. And if it does turn out bad, you still have Xenonauts.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 6, 2012, 23:15 gilly775

But EA has begun taking your EA Steam games and copying them into Origin.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Leaked
28. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 11:38 gilly775

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 09:50:
PC3 ME3 is not out and is not cracked, and this article is bullshit. (I mean the article on that site linked, not the news here about the article)

What's out on PC is the preload, all thats missing is the encryption codes from release date check.. so yeah, thats obviously a pretty damn important thing missing. Never-the-less, even preloaded customers (europeans primarily) want a crack to skip the March 8th 0am unlock timer, and play today instead of on friday eh. forgot march 8th is actully thursday ;).

Anyhow, game is out on consoles yes, but not on PC.

Actually, the Retail game ISO has been out on Usenet for four days. But like you said, it's not cracked.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
29. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 27, 2012, 14:11 gilly775

Verno wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 09:00:
He was just talking in general Gilly, chillax.

Yeah, that doesn't cut it either. I've applied for numerous govt. jobs, including Post Office, Public Health, and IT, and veteran status doesn't mean much. My father was a Civil Servant GS-13 after leaving the Marine Corps and said basically the same thing when he was looking for jobs prior to finding that Civil Servant role. It's like that box to check on applications just makes it feel like you have a shot.

28. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 27, 2012, 14:07 gilly775

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 09:36:
gilly775 wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 08:57:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 02:01:
eunichron wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 01:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 00:51:
They are not fired because once fired you have suddenly a 3 year hole of no police men, the training to become one takes way too long, has way too high drop-out rate and the job pays like crap and is thankless to boot.

I know you're not from the states, but I can't remember exactly where now... but here in the states going through the academy, or getting a criminal justice degree, doesn't guarantee you a job on the force. There are plenty of people qualified to be officers that are waiting on openings, and the openings actually fill pretty quickly for that reason. I had two friends myself that were waiting for openings, one of them said fuck it and became a fireman instead, the other is working seasonal jobs until a slot opens at his PD of choice.

Here in Minnesota, probably one of the hardest states to get hired in, we have around 400-450 applicants for each opening.

Almost all places I know about uses the point system. Very hard to get a job unless you are a veteran, have some experience, Masters degree, minorty, etc etc etc. Also in MN a college degree (at least a 2 year) is required. I know some states just allow high school diploma.

I'm calling BS on your statement. I've lived in MN for 12 years now, am a veteran, and have two masters and it is still hard to find a job in the cities. In Fact, I left the cities to take a job up in Thief River Falls because it was the only systems administration job I actually received an interview for and then eventually hired.

Couple things. I have lived here my whole life, and have worked in many different sectors (IT private and public, Finance private and public, Corporate misc., and now Law Enforcement). First off, you are trying to get a job that is even more impossible to get than a cop job. IT workers in MN are a dime a dozen. Let me guess, you wanted 80k a year and a nice package. Ain't gonna happen! People with 10 years experience are happy to land an entry level position in IT!!!!

Moreover, I was discussing cop jobs.

Call BS all you want. I live in NE MPLS and have a HUGE network of people in corporate and private IT/Finance. Carlson Companies was the last company I worked for before getting a cop job, and I easily got that job (no Masters) and I easily got the job before that in Finance/IT. Maybe you aren't a good interviewer, maybe your demands were to high, maybe lots of things. I dunno.

Nope, never once considered 80K. Heck, I don' even make that here. When I started in IT in 2000, I was making 17 an hour contracting to Metris Companies, I then went to work for Kroll Ontrack in Eden Prairie which went downhill and was willing to work for the same salary under 60K at any other place. I even saw laid off SAN people who made 80K plus get jobs at our company for 40K. I had to supplement my income by teaching part time at MN School of Business. If anything, you are correct about the saturation, but I spoke to HR people who said that Masters and Veteran status don't mean shiat in most cases.

Interview skills, maybe. I also heard "over-qualified" from some places. But just because I have two Masters, am a Veteran, and didn't ask for much, doesn't guarantee you diddly squat in the cities. I even tried the Veteran thing for my undergrad, Public Health Jobs (which thanks to the smoking lawsuit, brought in A LOT of them, plus they were govt. jobs to boot) prior to 2000 but that didn't seem like a factor at all.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2012, 14:16.

16. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 27, 2012, 08:57 gilly775

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 02:01:
eunichron wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 01:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 00:51:
They are not fired because once fired you have suddenly a 3 year hole of no police men, the training to become one takes way too long, has way too high drop-out rate and the job pays like crap and is thankless to boot.

I know you're not from the states, but I can't remember exactly where now... but here in the states going through the academy, or getting a criminal justice degree, doesn't guarantee you a job on the force. There are plenty of people qualified to be officers that are waiting on openings, and the openings actually fill pretty quickly for that reason. I had two friends myself that were waiting for openings, one of them said fuck it and became a fireman instead, the other is working seasonal jobs until a slot opens at his PD of choice.

Here in Minnesota, probably one of the hardest states to get hired in, we have around 400-450 applicants for each opening.

Almost all places I know about uses the point system. Very hard to get a job unless you are a veteran, have some experience, Masters degree, minorty, etc etc etc. Also in MN a college degree (at least a 2 year) is required. I know some states just allow high school diploma.

I'm calling BS on your statement. I've lived in MN for 12 years now, am a veteran, and have two masters and it is still hard to find a job in the cities. In Fact, I left the cities to take a job up in Thief River Falls because it was the only systems administration job I actually received an interview for and then eventually hired.

News Comments > Sons of Anarchy Game?
7. Re: Sons of Anarchy Game? Feb 25, 2012, 15:17 gilly775

Awesome! Bring it on!  

News Comments > Fray Alpha Demo; Preorders
4. Re: Fray Alpha Demo; Preorders Feb 23, 2012, 20:06 gilly775

No single player? No thanks.  

News Comments > BlackSpace Revealed
6. Re: BlackSpace Revealed Feb 22, 2012, 22:46 gilly775

Reminds me of Fragile Allegiance.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/fragile-allegiance

News Comments > Sins of a Dark Age Announced
21. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 21, 2012, 23:14 gilly775

Blair, thanks for coming on and talking about this. It really is nice to see a Dev come on here not only to listen but also solicit suggestions!

Basically, like Prez said in his point 2, I've spent countless hundreds of hours in SP os SoaSE and the addons. I am also eagerly awaiting the beta of Rebellion after I pre-ordered last year. And like Prez said, I don't find a lot of "good players" to game with in those games.

Furthermore, I am a married, father of four IT guy who rarely has time for gaming, let alone MP gaming. However, with a SP mode, I prefer to at least pick on the AI without worrying about the shoddy Internet connection I have up here in NW Minnesota. Plus, as old as I am, I rarely stay alive for 5 seconds in most MP matches of FPS and RTS games.

Maybe it's my age, but I shy away from games of this nature not just because of having to buy in-game items to get an edge, but also because I frankly prefer SP gaming. I'm also finding that unlike my 20s, I'm enjoying more of the tactical WW2, Space, and Fantasy RTS/Turn-based games because of the replayability.

But, I wish Ironclad well on this venture. In the meantime, I will soak up some Sins!!!

News Comments > Sins of a Dark Age Announced
2. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 21, 2012, 17:14 gilly775

My interest shot to zero when I read "free to play" and "online." This would be awesome with a SP option, but oh well....  

News Comments > Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers Announced
8. Re: Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers Announced Feb 18, 2012, 13:36 gilly775

Prez wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 07:13:

The reason Matrix doesn't release screenshots because they would look completely identical from game to game, all consisting of boring square chits on hex-laden maps with minimal detail. They smartly prefer to market their games from a gameplay depth perspective and focus on the intangibles. Personally, I can't believe there are STILL people who want to play hardcore WW2 games (the majority of what Matrix releases). But then again, people STILL play chess after several thousand years.

Actually, they are not all the same. Take Distant Worlds or Battlefield Academy for example. They are far from the "hex-laden maps" you speak of.

6. Re: Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers Announced Feb 17, 2012, 22:56 gilly775

Wildone wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 15:51:
Not really lol I mean are they selling a visual media game or not? If its a book I understands but ya know, no ones gonna buy it unless they can see it. Marketing fail.

Matrix games does something similar with not releasing screenshots when they announce games. And you know what? They still sell to strategy enthusiasts.

If anything, this type of marketing "wets a whistle." Besides, if it is announced and the game is still in early stages, would you like to see a crappy screenshot? Nope. Marketing win there.

2. Re: Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers Announced Feb 17, 2012, 13:44 gilly775

Wildone wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 13:04:
No pics/media? Not a single shit is given.

Wow, love the sense of entitlement here. You know, not every announcement comes with "pics/media...."

News Comments > Ironclad Countdown?
2. Re: Ironclad Countdown? Feb 10, 2012, 22:18 gilly775

Prez wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 21:21:
Wouldn't this just be Sins Rebellion?

Doubt it. Stardock is publishing, not the publisher at the bottom of the page.

Plus, if you look at the background, it looks like some sort of griffon/large bird on the left. Given that and the font, I'm guessing some fantasy game.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Delayed to Fall
19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Delayed to Fall Jan 27, 2012, 14:45 gilly775

Hey, Paradox! You catching this??? This is what to do when your game isn't ready....  

436 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo