Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for gilly775

Real Name gilly775   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 10, 2009, 03:20
Total Comments 425 (Amateur)
User ID 55394

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 2, 2012, 11:08 gilly775

Ant wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 09:36:
gilly775 wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 09:31:
My favorites were Epyx's Destroyer, Impossible Mission (synthesized voice saying Stay Awhile.....stay FOREVER! Never could beat it), Bruce Lee, Congo Bongo, Ultima, Zork, Bump n Jump, F-15 Strike Eagle, Superbowl Sunday, H.E.R.O., Alien....the list goes on and on. Fun times!

I remember my dad subscribing to Run magazine (C-64's flagship mag) and entering the code from the back pages into the system to build apps and games. Heck, we even had that cassette drive where you fast forwarded to the point on the cassette, typed "load such and such" and then Run.
Alien, is that the one with drop ship with circles, mazes, defending your marines with aliens attacks, etc.? If so, then I loved that drop ship theme music. I wished I could find a HQ audio of it. I had to rip it from a video.

Nah. This was the one with the layout of the Nostromo form the first movie. You had to get the crew to work together to survive with very little weapons. I remember everyone dying off and I had Ripley, Jones that cat and Brett in the emergency shuttle, ready to take off and the self destruct sequence going and the ships computer, Mother, wouldn't let us take off because something alive was still on board. Very scary game esp. when you came face to face with the Alien.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 2, 2012, 09:31 gilly775

My favorites were Epyx's Destroyer, Impossible Mission (synthesized voice saying Stay Awhile.....stay FOREVER! Never could beat it), Bruce Lee, Congo Bongo, Ultima, Zork, Bump n Jump, F-15 Strike Eagle, Superbowl Sunday, H.E.R.O., Alien....the list goes on and on. Fun times!

I remember my dad subscribing to Run magazine (C-64's flagship mag) and entering the code from the back pages into the system to build apps and games. Heck, we even had that cassette drive where you fast forwarded to the point on the cassette, typed "load such and such" and then Run.

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
2. Re: Evening Screenshots Jul 31, 2012, 22:11 gilly775

Cutter wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 21:58:
Are these the same guys who made Ascendancy - one of my favourite games of all time? Some of those art assets are directly from it. Who's going to be playing this?

I will as soon as I finish Endless Space.

News Comments > Castle Story Kickstarter
21. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 29, 2012, 10:28 gilly775

Axis wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 15:26:
Already looks more fun than stronghold...

Agreed. And it looks like they captured the essence better than their third game. Automatic back.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Jul 28, 2012, 09:19 gilly775

crypto wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 03:11:
I find this review to be biased. I seriously do not like the 1upt bs that goes from the classic board games like risk where you could combine units onto one tile to make a stronger army. I'm trying to lay siege to a city and I end up with a bunch of units hanging around, turn after turn, waiting to get hit with a catapult. If there is a open tile around the city, why do I have to go around my own people to get there, why no just walk through them? do they not like each other? Because I'm not allowed to combine armies I spent countless resources and precious turns building weak units in mass quantities to take one weak enemy. I guess the best thing about this game was the demo.

Having massive stacks isn't a fun game for most people and it defeated the intent of the game. They didn't want people to have massive stacks of units running around clobbering cities in one round, in much the same way they tried to reduce settler spam (with limited success). Unit stacking was an artifact of design and wasn't supposed to be the defining element of combat.

It got fairly ridiculous in 4, with potentially hundreds of units on a square and the only counter being the easily banned nuclear weapons.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
127. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 26, 2012, 09:05 gilly775

Like I had said on another forum, good luck getting MS to license out DirectX to have all of those titles run on Linux. Otherwise, the Devs would have to port the games and we all know how great ports are....  

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter
58. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 14, 2012, 14:57 gilly775

I've donated to two different kickstarters so far, but I've been thinking about what happens if a game doesn't get made and you donated. Can you imagine the class action lawsuits that could spawn out of this and the forthcoming legal mumbo jumbo you'd have to agree to?  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
15. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 13:46 gilly775

Dev wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:10:
gilly775 wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 12:27:
nin wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:17:
Wow, that's cool! Never played the original, so including it is a nice bonus...

Same here. Loved the Fallout games and always heard good things about Wasteland.
To anyone thinking about playing the original wasteland, I suggest watching a youtube video on it first to see if its to your taste.
Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbmZPF7SlMA

I would play it. I did a lot of Ultima/Zork/etc. style RPGs back in the day on my C-64. If anything, I'll bring back memories.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
12. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 12:27 gilly775

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:17:
Wow, that's cool! Never played the original, so including it is a nice bonus...

Same here. Loved the Fallout games and always heard good things about Wasteland.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 9, 2012, 23:01 gilly775

Can't wait. Works so much better than 7 on my machines here!  

News Comments > DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually?
2. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 8, 2012, 15:11 gilly775

Standalone like a SP sanbox??? If so, I'd be up for that!  

News Comments > Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo
19. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 30, 2012, 00:44 gilly775

DG wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 17:45:
The whole spearmen occasionally defeating tanks is debated to death on civ fan forums all the time.

Main thing is really it's just an avatar of a low-tech, cheap military unit against a high-tech high-resource one. I mean, if you're going to say it's the same spearman you created 2,000 years ago... While we're at it, the tank unit is maybe 4 tanks while it'll be 100 spearmen or whatever.

Sure they could probably change the graphic more as the eras progress and turn it into guys with pistols and molotovs or whatever, but then it'd be harder to keep track of whats going on.

Regardless, yeah a spearman could take out a tank. Tanks are crap at unconventional warfare. Hide up a tree, drop down, open hatch and stab everyone inside. Or dig a pit trap. We lost tanks to civilians with molotovs in Iraq. Shit, we lose tanks just moving them around because they fall apart.

There was a point in Civ IV when it was clearly happening too frequently, but it should always be possible for a spearman to defeat a tank.

And how many tanks do you know enter a fight without Infantry nearby? That's right...none.

Look, we can debate this all night long, but the fact is, a spearman from thousands of years ago wouldn't know the first thing about planting an IED, let alone how to open a hatch. If anything, like a previous poster said, they'd probably freak out or better yet, bow down at the awesome sight of it. lol.

15. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 15:12 gilly775

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 14:20:
gilly775 wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 14:07:
Did Civ5 fix the problems with the earlier games where a spearman can take out a tank?

You mean the realism factor, where the spears shouldn't even scratch it? No... I think everyone who's played Civ has thought it should be that way, but making units become completely obsolete would destroy game balance and turn every match into a tech race. Of course spearmen are still way weaker on an even playing field, but with numbers, upgrades, and/or terrain bonuses you could still reasonably defend against a tank or two. The same applies to crossbowmen or musketmen; common sense says they'd just lay down and die when faced with a giant armored beetle moving toward them, but how'd you like the game if you were on the short end of that stick?

Then the race dies out...simple as that. Throughout history, civilizations that don't adapt die off. Heck, older units could get free upgrades to the times based on trade or diplomatic relations. For those of us who faced it from the opposite end, it just sucks to have your modern weapon of war get owned by a spearman, when you'd think you'd roll over the civilization. It's good to know that it's improved but it's still pretty dumb to allow that to happen.

13. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 14:07 gilly775

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 03:59:
I'm really digging the revised combat system, its completely destroyed all hope that i'll EVER play Warlock - Master of teh Arcane......

Basically instead of 10hp, they have 100hp, and they tweaked the dmg, so things dont die in like 2 hits anymore, more like 4-5, now taking cities is a real undertaking and defending them easier.

AI is much better (i play on prince - normal difficulty, no AI bonuses and no negatives)

They did a good job, i'm happy /w my purchase

Did Civ5 fix the problems with the earlier games where a spearman can take out a tank?

News Comments > Endless Space Begins Next Month
7. Re: Endless Space Begins Next Month Jun 26, 2012, 14:45 gilly775

Wildone wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 12:26:
If people play this shit, why wont they just make a good next space sim shooter?!!

Probably because this is a 4x game vs. a space shooter. Two different genres here....

But, the Evochron series by Star Wraith games is pretty fun

News Comments > A Game of Dwarves Beta Signups
3. Re: A Game of Dwarves Beta Signups Jun 26, 2012, 10:57 gilly775

Well, that was quick!  

News Comments > New Magicka DLC
4. Re: New Magicka DLC Jun 19, 2012, 19:42 gilly775

It seems like this game has the most DLC of any title.  

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes
7. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes Jun 14, 2012, 13:15 gilly775

Pigeon wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 13:07:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 13:00:
Bucky wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 12:51:
While I'm sure the intent was mostly sarcasm, the 1.03 patch, which is due by the end of the month, will adjust the loot tables to make inferno farming somewhat more viable. Source.

Until then I am gone.
Im really getting sick of only being able to farm act 1 inferno and only see crap drop that maybe sells for 5k.

I think they want me to play a demon hunter, cause every other drop is a quiver or occasionally a hand crossbow. I don't know the last time I saw a wand drop, sometime back in nightmare I think :/

Even with full stacks of Nephalem and I see drops explode off a boss I have a hard time getting excited about it.

It's no better for us Demon Hunters. I seem to get more wands and monk gear.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jun 9, 2012, 10:42 gilly775

Dev wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:52:
Also, all of Paradox titles on steam are on 50% off.

Things like:
Warlock Master of the arcane
majesty 2
defenders of ardania
crusader kings 2
sword of the stars 2
king arthur series

I'd suggest waiting until the last day of the steam sale though, since they are doing daily sales for a few days. (June 11)

That's what I was going to do for Defenders of Ardania since I heard good things about it but if it doesn't drop anymore by tomorrow, it and the DLC are still a great price

News Comments > Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend
94. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 20:30 gilly775

deqer wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:58:
- Diablo 3 is being leased to you. You don't own it.
- Diablo 3 is not forever, because you don't own it.

You, my friend, need to read EULAs a little more. You don't "technically" own any game. You are licensed to use it.

425 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo