Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for shuttleswo

Real Name shuttleswo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2009, 02:57
Total Comments 19 (Suspect)
User ID 55368

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 12:54 shuttleswo

Creston wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 10:59:
I wonder what sort of outcome I could get with one of those electric George Foreman dealies

Crappy, dry, undercooked meat is about all you get out of that. Unless it's chicken, it does do reasonably well with chicken.

Creston

Sausage and the like is also reasonable on them and they make a good panini (the only reason we keep ours around at all) - I don't do chicken on mine very often as there are about a million better ways to cook chicken indoors than trying to grill it. there are some decent models from & modeled after Cuisinarts that can serve as a passable griddle as well; the foreman's are a waste of money.

i thought you initially leaving off at electric was a joke about blowing your circuit or something... oh well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Downtime [Updated]
12. Re: Steam Downtime Feb 12, 2012, 18:33 shuttleswo

I only by APC stuff now, few years back i had a 1/2 inch water line blow a plug on Christmas Eve, it sprayed water on top of a bank of three symettra units for over 24 hours before anyone noticed; they dutifully delivered power throughout the event, and for a few days until we could replace them, despite the fact that many of their electronics corroded completely away.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 11:24 shuttleswo

Just curious if you have a philosophical objection to link tracking; if you could implement that you would have actual data for what parts of the site are used and which aren't.  

News Comments > RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer
1. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 7, 2011, 21:39 shuttleswo

This seems to have more 'firefly' feel to me with each clip they reveal. next up i expect them to change 'the authority' to 'the alliance'.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Demo
19. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 21, 2011, 18:42 shuttleswo

Optional nickname wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 17:27:
RoboNerd wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 17:16:
Optional nickname wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 12:14:
Never Ever will I play Forever

Chief Joseph said that, right?

erm no, my name isn't Chief Joseph, I made that line up this morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Joseph#Retreat_and_surrender

News Comments > Epic Hacked
46. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 12, 2011, 10:04 shuttleswo

My view of IT security is naive? You seem to think they actually sit on their computers when at work actively snooping through the network looking for hackers like some security guard patrolling the halls.

The bulk of network security is automated, it is their task to set up and configure that security such that it functions effectively, properly alerts the correct people when something unusual is happening.

teddy, your view if IT security is incredibly naive; as you are assuming network administrators primary job is even network security, most network administrators have to spend the majority of their time doing tech support and general administration; only very large organizations have specialized network administrators that are shielded from that - and even then they have to deal with end users that are extremely lax about security and undermine the effectiveness of any 'automated systems' that do get setup. automated systems are only really effective at blocking 'drive by' automated attacks, but a concerted effort of hacking will blow thru them as if they aren't there.
i NEVER blame the network admins when this happens, i blame the administration for not providing them the resources (e.g. dedicated staff) to prevent it. but i also have a hard time blaming epic in this case as it would be hard for me (if i was an Epic suit) to justify having a full time security staff(er) to protect a gaming forum.

i mean let's follow your logic; if Bluesnews gets hacked next, are you going to blame blue? or furn?

Lets also remember, someone recently hacked EMC's RSA division - if someone can hack someone who's whole ORGANIZATION is dedicated to information security, then blaming Epic's network admin should be seen as completely ridiculous & yes, blaming the victim - the network admin is a triple victim first of the hacker and then of resources & priorities that epic gave them to accomplish the job and lastly of people like you.

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2011, 15:58 shuttleswo

kanniballl wrote on May 16, 2011, 14:19:
Prez wrote on May 16, 2011, 12:05:
Syfy defends canceling 'Stargate Universe'.

To be fair, Stargate Universe and Battlestar Galactica weren't Network TV. They were cable TV, a different animal. And Dexter is premium cable.

Other than that technicality, I agree with your overall sentiment. It's sometimes worth waiting a couple of seasons before you get into a show via Netflix or reruns. But even then you wind up with a failed finale.

Not that premium channels are any better about it; i canceled my HBO over deadwood. that still pisses me off to no end.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2011, 22:34 shuttleswo

Although I didn't RTFA - i remember the Mythsmasher's episode; it wasn't about whether a sear makes it taste better - it inarguably does; it was strictly debunking the 'locks in moisture' bit you mention; it didn't make the meat any moister; the Maillard reaction is why you do it, but the meat won't be moister because of the sear (does taste better though).  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 13, 2010, 19:14 shuttleswo

Well, this doesn't actually mean TOO much; Verizon is selling the ipad wi-fi now; this seems like a fairly low level position, more of a sales engineer really - there are several openings across the country with the same description.

News Comments > Civilization V Live Video Stream Today
1. Re: Civilization V Live Video Stream Today Sep 13, 2010, 11:07 shuttleswo

son of a .... of COURSE, when I'll be on the road. hopefully a podcast/replay is going to be available.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Trailers
1. Re: Portal 2 Trailers Aug 25, 2010, 15:35 shuttleswo

I am so looking forward to it; but man; everytime i see a trailer i think this is SOOO much harder than the first one - That repulsion gel level; man; how long will it take to figure out all those steps?  

News Comments > Infocom Tease
2. Re: Infocom Tease Feb 19, 2010, 10:15 shuttleswo

I really fondly remember playing wishbringer and zork on my 8088 those games had some style; wishbringer came with a funny smelling glow in the dark 'rock' that i still have. I bought the last of their real games with the fancy mapping engine 'beyond zork' and was determined to beat it without buying the book or otherwise 'cheating' i think it took me two years (playing off and on). good times.

Hopefully this is something good - but I'd guess that rose colored glasses for those classics would make anything seem to suck in comparison. but something for a mobile device would make tons of sense.

News Comments > Apple iPad Announced
32. Re: Game Reviews Jan 27, 2010, 16:33 shuttleswo

I also won't buy it; but i do not see where the unrelenting hate for this product is coming from; i am also a PC user; have been for years; but i have actually used some of the apple products and of the microsoft products because of my work. and they all suck in their own special way, but they all do things well too.

the thing that will make this a moderate success over netbooks is the integrated nature of the software and the relative ease of use over a netbook. windows mobile just shows so plainly how bad microsoft is at scaling down windows to a smaller screen and limited control interface; couple that with depending on outside vendors for the 'gee wiz' applications that might appear on any particular device; they just don't deliver anything worthwhile over a cheap laptop.

this isn't going to be the iphone level of success, but it sure won't apple TV either; a $300 price point would have made it a huge success; a SD slot should have been a no-brainer.

i was surprised that there was no Verizon iphone announcement though.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 16:35.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 11:16 shuttleswo

he other is one of those single serving makers where the coffee/tea/cocoa

I have a keurig one at home and work; i think the coffee is above average, but not wonderful; but extremely, even extraordinarily, convinant and definately worlds better than any other one cup brewer i've tried (senseo etc.) you can play with it to get better coffee (the higher ends have some settings, and you can use your own good coffee instead of their pre-packaged ones)

but - while i love it for it's convenience, I still have a drip brewer and french press for when i have more time to make & enjoy something good; but for the morning when I'm running out the door, it really can't be beat.

the tea and cocoa is total crap and expensive to boot, so FYI, don't buy it for that; you'll never want it.

News Comments > Another Duke Nukem Forever Curveball
21. Re: Another Duke Nukem Forever Curveball Jan 7, 2010, 09:44 shuttleswo

Ravor wrote on Jan 7, 2010, 09:32:
If I never hear about this game ever again I'll be happy.

not me; i've probably gotten more enjoyment out of the soap opera that was/is this game than i probably will get out of playing it

News Comments > Why Shooters Need Dedicated Servers
15. Re: Why Shooters need Dedicated Servers Jan 5, 2010, 15:29 shuttleswo

Dalumberjack wrote on Jan 5, 2010, 15:19:

But this is how everything used to be.

well, everything used to be done with out-of-game server browsers like game-spy, but i don't think that many (not me for sure) would consider a return to external server browsers a step in the right direction; although i suppose if game makers like Valve (left4dead) and CoD keep up this silly stuff maybe there will be a revival of that model; great thing about capitalism, if there is a market demand someone will eventually meet it.

News Comments > Why Shooters Need Dedicated Servers
13. Re: Why Shooters need Dedicated Servers Jan 5, 2010, 14:57 shuttleswo

I also didn't buy this game because of this and other issues; however the biggest reason i saw with no-dedicated servers is the problem of the host suddenly ending a game for whatever personal reason (loosing, class, lunch, whatever); people come and go from games quite a bit for many reasons, being at the whim of the host just seems to lead to a lot of frustration.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 2, 2009, 12:45 shuttleswo

Half of all iphones are jailbroken? that seems extremely implausible if it were 5% I'd be pretty surprised.  

News Comments > Comcast Buying NBC Universal
20. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 22:06 shuttleswo

Insert this laff after the Hulu comment. This posting system is brokedick and sucks a queef.

This format totally isn't web 1.0.

Howso?

i believe he is oh so eloquently pointing out that comments aren't nested like Slashdot etc.

the thing that scares me the most is how comcast handled the VS situation with dish recently; their willingness to withhold content to gain a competitive advantages for their other businesses (in this case taking a hit on the content business to bolster delivery business) clearly shows that they have a monopolistic and unethical culture - allowing them to gain a ridiculous 25% of the TV content market share is really scary; they could, in a matter of years, drive dish, FIOS and direct out of business - after all 'now comcast has 25% more programming than anyone else (because we won't sell it to anyone else)', doesn't seem that far fetched.

19 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo