Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ThisIsMyName

Real Name ThisIsMyName   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DaHauns
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 24, 2009, 19:03
Total Comments 16 (Suspect)
User ID 55347

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Nov 24, 2014, 10:16 DaHauns

Squirmer wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 06:58:
That gamergaters are so angry shows the blocklist did its job.

I've read conclusions of that kind several times on both sides now. And everytime I'm asking myself: HOW?!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
18. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 4, 2014, 20:33 DaHauns

I see where you're coming from, Rigs. But it all comes back to the fact that this discussion has been had repeatedly since I don't know when. For books, for comics, for movies, for games.

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam
25. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam Oct 22, 2014, 07:22 DaHauns

Prez wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 16:24:
I bought it for $7.50 on a sale a while back, and I regret it. I barely got past the tutorial. Absolutely brutal, punishing game. I know there are people who will say things like "it really isn't that hard" but don't listen to them. It is ridiculous. I am glad there are people out there who enjoy it but unless you possess nearly inhuman reflexes, skill, and patience this masochistic game will only bring you pain.

Well...I'm going out on a limb here - did you try to beat that first BIIIG Boss, Asylum Demon? Yeah, me too. Until I realized that you don't need to - and aren't even supposed to on your first try.

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
14. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 17:10 DaHauns

bhcompy wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:36:
The problem is that they have very little in the engine market to begin with. EA is on a Frostbite or die kick. id is purely idtech. Everyone else is on Unreal Tech.

The problem is that there's a general trend in AAA towards in-house engines (e.g.: Square Enix: Luminous, Capcom: Panta Rhei,Ubisoft (depending on studio): Anvil/Dunia/Disrupt, Jade, Snowdrop, Take2/Rockstar: RAGE...).
Combined with Unity pushing from the low end the game engine market isn't that much fun at the moment I guess - even with a behemoth of an engine in your pocket.
Epic realized this and have focused their business toward mid-budget titles quite successfully (just look at the release schedule on wikipedia). Whether Crytek can make a dent here remains to be seen, but I remain skeptical.
I guess their window of success would have been 2-3 years ago, when people started to get fed up by the UE3 look.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Jul 10, 2014, 10:05 DaHauns

The sad thing is that "reviews" like that still influence Metacritic & co. without distinction.  

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Announced
13. Re: Dead Island 2 Announced Jun 10, 2014, 11:36 DaHauns

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 11:06:
The one thing I didn't like was that the game would condemn you for your violent acts but would never present a non-violent alternative, meaning you had to commit acts of violence because that was the only way to advance the storyline.
Maybe that was the point, though? Who knows.

From what I remember of an interview with the developers, this was partly intentional, but not as far reaching and consistent as the devs would have liked. They wanted to go much further with the gameplay (to better match the tone of the game), but this would have been too much for the publisher.
In this case understandibly so: no one wants to publish a game which is - literally and intentionally - no fun to play. The devs were happy that they could go as far as they did.

News Comments > etc.
2. No subject May 6, 2014, 12:09 DaHauns

Regarding the Oculus Rift Tank: They should partner with Lockheed Martin...you know, for an actually working F-35 HMD.  

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 20:44 DaHauns

Task wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:43:
Also here is a good video on the subject of F2P:

Extra Credit: Doing Free to Play Wrong - How Bad Monetization Harms F2P Games

Interesting video (as usual from EC), although IMO he misses the main point as well: The (unintended) money quote comes at ~0:55 - "Too many game companies conceptualize paying for a game and experiencing the game as two fundamentally different things."
Yes, duh. That's because in a wide range of scenarios, THEY ARE.
Making payment part of the gameplay experience is extremely prone to hampering the latter on a fundamental level.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - CONSORTIUM
4. No, no, no, NO! Jan 8, 2014, 18:53 DaHauns

THIS GAME IS NOT A SHOOTER! Dammit.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 20, 2013, 19:03 DaHauns

Aw damn. Reading "Fighter Within Trailer" I was hoping for either:
Battling it out in the confines of an RV, using whatever means available
or
Battling it out with the best movie trailers ever as backdrop - narrated by Don LaFontaine.

News Comments > Alea Jacta Est Announced
7. Re: Alea Jacta Est Announced Sep 20, 2012, 13:37 DaHauns

osage no onna wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 02:55:
Jacta?

It stings, doesn't it?

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Gold
21. Re: Legend of Grimrock Gold Mar 24, 2012, 09:53 DaHauns

Cutter wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 03:10:
A game like this built for auto-levels. No need to handcraft a straight up dungeon crawl - though that's always a plus.

TBH, I wouldn't want that with random dungeons. There are enough of those around. A good handcrafted dungeon crawl, where thought was put into each level, puzzle, trap and encounter design hasn't been around for a while.

News Comments > King's Bounty: Warriors of the North Announced
17. Re: King's Bounty: Warriors of the North Announced Oct 6, 2011, 19:47 DaHauns

Cutter wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 13:29:
Anyway, dig this series, but they do need to release an editor with it.

You mean: They need to release a usable editor (instead of that buggy mess they released with crossroads).

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2011, 11:55 DaHauns

I make this claim based solely on the experiences of noticing that virtually all games get better without an always-on interface.

Well, I stopped reading there. Whenever such broad and unreflected postulates are used as a base to dismiss (or hype) a game element, the whole argument becomes flawed.

No single game element makes a game good or bad per se. It's all about context and implementation.

Otherwise, games like the Castlevanias would be by definition among the worst ones of all time. (Respawning Enemies, No Quicksave AND Massive Backtracking! The horror!)

News Comments > On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing
19. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 12:57 DaHauns

Krovven wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 12:49:
I'd find it hard to believe that anyone can see the difference in Starcraft 2, running 1920x1080, with anything but a perfectly still screen.

Erm, especially with high resolutions and polycount AA (or rather lack thereof) will be mainly noticable in motion. That's the nature of aliasing.

News Comments > Gold - Divinity II Ego Draconis
3. Re: Gold - Divinity II Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 14:32 DaHauns

If there's one thing (ok, two things) that this game does better than Risen, that's providing a well told story and lot of (meaningful) stuff happening. A lot of interesting sidequests and things to do and explore. A very rich experience, it all feels wonderfully handcrafted most of the time, very seldom generic.

It might get a bit repetitive during a certain phase later in the games, the three dragon islands are a lot of the same stuff
(aerial combat, land, kill enemies, loot chests in rather samey environment),
but this part shouldn't be overly long - as long you cut to the chase and aren't as obsessive as me in finding _ALL_ the armor sets and killing every last mob in the areas.

Even if i still prefer the world design itself in Risen (PB are still king in that regard for me), I found Ego Draconis to be the more enjoyable game overall, by a fair margin.

And to the technical issues:
Doesn't the latest patch (1.02, i think) work for you regarding the skipping of animations? They specifically added an option to turn that off - it ran quite good for me after 1.02.
Oh, and for tearing (from missing VSync): D3DOverrider is your friend.

16 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo