Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sting Ray

Real Name Sting Ray   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname stingray
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 17, 2009, 08:17
Total Comments 41 (Suspect)
User ID 55268

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Interview
3. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 16:39 stingray

That is indeed funny about the billions of stars... it's not unlike a mathematician gushing over how truly large infinity is. It's not like we'll ever see the end of it.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though and we'll talk about it again same time next year.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Project GODUS Funded
22. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 15:42 stingray

nin wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 13:30:
6 hours left on Limit Theory!

I backed this game as well. The genre needs fresh blood and Josh sure shows that he's made of the right stuff for the job.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Interview
1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Dec 2, 2012, 06:52 stingray

Oh, look, no new content in this interview! LOL

They must be sitting on their hands all day. Maybe they could shows us new lines of code every day, just to keep some of the more ardent skeptics at bay. XD

Anyway, move on, there is nothing to see here people.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
25. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Dec 2, 2012, 06:04 stingray

I suspect you guys all pay taxes?

That's a lot of money you pay your government and what does it have to show for it?

Exactly.

So before you all get your panties in a bunch over $40, maybe you'll perhaps just sit this one out and give DB one last chance to do this.

9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Dec 1, 2012, 03:31 stingray

The developer of Limit Theory has no track record that I am aware of, so he does need to prove himself and he is doing an absolute great job. Just like the Minecraft maker, he may have a great future ahead of him. I still haven't touched Minecraft though.  

8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Dec 1, 2012, 03:28 stingray

I wish we could take all the skepticism of all the people in this world and turn it into energy.

It's a known fact of life that all those who didn't believe that something could be done actually motivated those who actually did the thing that couldn't be done by doing absolutely nothing. So, thanks for nothing to all you nonbelievers. You are all part of the process of getting things done. This game will be great!

4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 14:04 stingray

I don't see a reason to be skeptical at all, worried, yes. They were two students when they wrote the original game (I don't know which of the two wrote the code and who smoked the pot though.). Now DB works with over 200 people in one company. They've already reached over 40% of the financial goal in 1/3 of the allotted time period on Kickstarter.

Sure just like SC, ED won't deliver all the goods at launch date, I don't think anyone believes that for one bloody second that they will. We'll just have to wait and see.

News Comments > Star Citizen's Record Funding Drive Ends
32. Re: Star Citizen's Record Funding Drive Ends Nov 20, 2012, 17:09 stingray

nin wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 13:34:
It sure looks like Blue doesn't put much faith into Elite: Dangerous yet either, because the project didn't even get covered in the news (yet) so far.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/136545/
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/136639/

I stand corrected. Thanks nin! At least we know what happened almost two weeks ago. I am glad the space sim genre is getting another chance and support the effort.

SC is going to be at least very interesting to watch unfold and develop. And if those who care about it can all contribute just a little bit, it may just work out. Insert famous JFK quote, no not that one, the one about doing the other thing because it is hard.

News Comments > Star Citizen's Record Funding Drive Ends
29. Re: Star Citizen's Record Funding Drive Ends Nov 20, 2012, 13:27 stingray

It sure looks like Blue doesn't put much faith into Elite: Dangerous yet either, because the project didn't even get covered in the news (yet) so far.

I don't get this skepticism about both Roberts and Braben, both have made several critically acclaimed space sims before and there is no reason they can't do it again. SC is probably not going to deliver everything as promised right away and ED is going to take more time before we'll see something because they didn't really expect the lurking interest that still lingers in our collective mind. Both now will have to beat the iron while it's hot and put their no our no, now it's their (SC) (soon to be their, ED) money where their mouth is.

News Comments > Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars
42. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 14:58 stingray

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 13:57:
You mean, other than my money? Because Braben isn't going to do shit with it? I like to think that not losing my money is pretty important.

Every single thing about his whole kickstarter SCREAMS "OMG, look at all the money Chris Roberts is getting, quick, we have to get in on this before the nostalgia wave collapses!"

The simple fact that he had NOTHING to show on day one, and is now showing such minor things that it's obvious that this is what they made in the days since the last update, combined with his complete lack of enthusiasm (he's made four updates in ten days, for a grand total of 1/10th the length of a single update that Obsidian did during PE), just makes it seem obvious to me that he's not really eager to do this. He just wants the money.

If it funds, he'll fuck around for a year or so, then report that sadly their procedural generation tech isn't working the way they wanted it to, and they don't have enough money to update it, thus there will be no game.

Anyway, I apologize for continuously bringing up Braben and his "meh" attitude. Kudos to Chris Roberts for his incredible crowdfunding campaign.

Creston

Creston, are you telling us you pledged some money as well??? Because if not, I don't know what money you are referring to that you risk loosing.

I'm not disagreeing, I've been burned a couple times too, by buying digital garbage fitted with nice box art around it. That hasn't stopped me from playing games. So I drank fewer Lattes to make up for the loss.

Life is also about taking a few leaps of faith. I just feel that we lack a lot of the variety we once had in gaming and I missed space sims more than I thought. I suppose Braben was initially just testing the waters and judging from his reaction he knows the time is right to get busy. Frontier Development employs over 200 people and I doubt they are sitting on their thumbs all day.

CR did a much better job at selling his dream, no doubt. But he stopped short of selling us the Moon. Look at all the features he promised and all he has got to show for is a few videos and a few drawings... and some short stories... he can't even keep his site up and running. So what? Just the excitement from taking part in the fund raiser was worth it.

I only pledged the price of a video game. Where is the harm in that? ($6,214,559 / 89,357 = $69.55 / person)

Live a little, please.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2012, 15:27.

News Comments > Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars
6. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 12:07 stingray

Yes, space sims are dead, here's another one looking for our support. The mother of all space sims, Elite: Dangerous ([url=]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous[/url]).

Yes, there have been a few false starts, but nobody's asking you to sell the farm. Only someone who has money to burn would pledge more than the retail price of the game. Yes, DB and FD are doing a poor job at trying to sell the game. Still, how many games have we purchased that have failed to excite us? Anyway, what else do we have to loose at this point? Yeah, let's play another Call of Duty or Modern Warfare game instead. I'd rather hope for the best.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2012, 12:17.

News Comments > Frontier Developments Canada
3. Re: Frontier Developments Canada Aug 7, 2012, 16:11 stingray

Quit stalling, David Braben, where's Elite 4? Your attempts at distracting us with your petty projects are futile. Even Duke Nukem Forever and the second Star Wars trilogy got released, what's your excuse?  

News Comments > Notch's Space Adventure Plans
8. Re: Notch's Space Adventure Plans Mar 18, 2012, 14:57 stingray

Maybe Notch could get in touch with David Braben and finally make Elite IV happen.

Yeah, I know, I should let it go.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2011, 15:52 stingray

BTW, long live the PC!!  

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2011, 15:49 stingray

I didn't know they still printed video game magazines. How progressive is that? Reading printed magazines is so last century. Who cares about social network games? People are afraid of Google with respect to privacy and yet they are giving it away on Facebook. What's up with that? I don't want any big corporation to know what I do in my spare time. So I sure don't care about game "journalists" writing about social network games nobody should care about. Go play some Minecraft or something.  

News Comments > Braben Still Wants Elite 4
12. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 4, 2011, 07:20 stingray

Seems to me David Braben still likes to ride on that wave of past success.

The problem I see is that the gamers that used to play Elite are slowly but surely growing out of playing video games altogether. Back then he didn't have the means to create a AAA title, now he does, but space games have been relegated to a niche market over the years which have too little ROI to be worth the risk. It looks very unlikely that Elite IV will ever get released.

I look forward to DNF though, whenever it does come out.

News Comments > Saints Row 3 in Autumn
15. Re: Saints Row 3 in Autumn Feb 3, 2011, 14:08 stingray

I thoroughly enjoyed SR2 and I'm still disappointed at the way PC gamers got treated, so I don't know if I'll get to enjoy the sequel.  

News Comments > Back To The Future Trailer, Schedule
9. Re: Back To The Future Trailer, Schedule Dec 3, 2010, 12:37 stingray

That trailer was neither particularly convincing nor exciting.

I won't get my hopes up.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2010, 06:36 stingray

Which means something else happened with that money and those responsible should be investigated.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2010, 05:52 stingray

By popular franchises, I meant movie/TV licenses that fell flat on their faces, like Matrix Online. Star Trek Online is not exactly a big hit either.

Tabula Rasa is another prime example of an MMO that was too big to fail. Imagine you are a game developer god and investors just throw money at you and whatever you touch just seems to turn into pure gold. The Modern Combat or Battlefield games are the exception, not the rule.

This case shows that in this business, and it is a business, it's more important to be able to sell something (anything) than be able to actually produce something. You don't burn through 100 millions of dollars just by ordering pizza and soda pop every day.

41 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo