Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ForgedReality

Real Name ForgedReality   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ForgedReality
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 16, 2009, 20:41
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 55267

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Propaganda Poster Runners-up
1. Re: Team Fortress 2 Propaganda Poster Runners-up Feb 2, 2010, 20:54 ForgedReality

Some REALLY SHITTY ones here. Obviously Valve felt sorry for someone... >_>  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Footage?
7. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Footage? Feb 1, 2010, 20:09 ForgedReality

Tomas wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 20:00:
There's a different version without the stupid music though the quality isn't any better in that one either. Frankly I'm unimpressed, but who knows, it could be a decent game if it ever did come out.

Yeah right. Name one game that Broussard and Friends ever did that could be labeled "decent." And after this amount of time? Pfft. Glad it will never see the light of day.

News Comments > Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone
23. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 1, 2010, 13:02 ForgedReality

Linksil wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 11:03:
If there's a sniper rifle in the game... there needs to be prone. I don't even like sniping much, but I see were this is coming from. Who would stay exposed when they can lay down to take objectives? Now I havn't played the game yet, but hearing no prone leans me towards the whole not buy side of the camps.
This is like saying Team Fortress 2 needs prone. Not thanks, pal.

News Comments > Steam Top Sellers
1. Re: Steam Top Sellers Jan 31, 2010, 22:23 ForgedReality

Battlefield? What the fuck is that? O.o  

News Comments > PC Return to Ostagar for Dragon Age Released
24. Re: PC Return to Ostagar for Dragon Age Released Jan 31, 2010, 11:13 ForgedReality

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 31, 2010, 05:32:
Fion wrote on Jan 30, 2010, 17:35:
It's yet another symptom of publishers trying to consolize the PC. They should fucking know it will never work.

No worries, you swallowed Steam like stupid sheep, you will also make it happen that PCs are getting consolized.
Steam has exactly nothing to do with consolization, with the exception of a friends list. The object of Steam was to get a working model for DLC and content distribution. I don't see how Steam goes against your lofty goal of keeping console business away from PCs.

Honestly, if Steam helps keep games cheaper, then let them use that form of DLC, since they're going to work in anti-piracy measures one way or another, and Steam is certainly preferable to Securom. And you can't expect them to just charge less for games (which would greatly reduce their piracy problem, imho), because they're worried about their goddamn bottom line, and after wasting $150 million on marketing the damn thing, the suits feel they HAVE to charge $60 a copy. If we got rid of publishers, we'd have no more piracy. (I know, it's not quite that simple. Lighten up.)

But back on topic: I'm finding it hard to get back into Dragon Age. I played for a while, but I'm not really an RPG gamer. DA impressed, though, so I played for several hours, and got quite a ways into the game, but it's just very frustrating to play. I don't know if I'm moving too quickly or just not leveling fast enough, but holy shit, it's really annoying to have to start a mission over again because all my guys got fucking wiped out. And YES, I retreat and try to pick off guys at choke points. It's still hard as fuck.

Tried to do Morrigan's mission, where you kill her mother, but no matter what I do, it's impossible (even from a distance). So I was going to go back later once I'd gained a few levels, but I ended up just getting impatient and using a fucking trainer (or was it a console command? I forget...) to give my main character permanent god mode. Since then, it's hard to justify getting into that game again, especially when there's ME2 now. And I still play TF2.

If a game is that frustrating that you have to resort to god mode, it's just too annoying to bother with. This long after the release of the game to finally come out with the DLC is going to hurt their sales, I think. People like me who have stopped playing aren't going to bother with a wimpy DLC like this. DA just doesn't seem to have the longevity for me that I originally thought it might.

tl;dr: READ IT! STOP BEING LAZY. Or don't. I don't care.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 ATI Hotfix
10. Re: Mass Effect 2 ATI Hotfix Jan 30, 2010, 13:20 ForgedReality

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 30, 2010, 11:01:
Oh and ForgedReality:
There are several comparisons between Nvidia and ATI cards that show that they are pretty similar in AA quality but Nvidias AF is much better, if configured properly.
Google is your friend.
I don't even need Google. I have both a GeForce 9600GT and a 4870x2 in this machine. I've done my own comparisons. Nvidia's AA is crap compared to ATI. You have to practically double the AA factor on nV to come close to ATI. 2x and 4x are almost unnoticeable, but on ATI, 4x is a beautiful sweet spot, and it does it with minimal effect on framerate.

Jerykk wrote on Jan 30, 2010, 04:32:
I hope this makes the game run better on a 4870x2. Right now the game actually runs worse when I have Crossfire enabled.

Edit: Bah, these drivers are useless. I still have to rename the exe to UT3 and I still get worse performance with Crossfire than without.
Sounds like a bad driver install. It's always ran awesome for me, and I play at 2048x1280 with max details. I didn't even notice a framerate decrease when I forced it to 4xAA through CCC (I normally leave it on application-specified, but ME2 doesn't have the option in the graphics settings). I never had to rename anything, and it's smooth as silk always.

Maybe you should do a complete uninstall of your drivers (possibly also using Driver Sweeper), and then reinstall. Not sure why it wouldn't be working with Crossfire unless you disabled Catalyst AI. I have mine set to "Advanced" mode, if that helps you, but I don't recall it making a difference for me on this game whether it was normal or advanced.

As I understand it, Normal alternates frame rendering between the GPUs, and Advanced draws half the screen at the same time with each GPU (or is it the other way around..?), so it's possible one would work better than the other for certain games.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 a "Blockbuster"
41. Re: Mass Effect 2 a Jan 30, 2010, 12:47 ForgedReality

Prez wrote on Jan 29, 2010, 18:46:
RPG's are in a sad state when Bioware's are considered the best out there.

While I wouldn't call Mass Effect one of the greatest RPG's, or even a particularly great RPG for that matter, it was one of the best games I've played in the last 10 years. I tend not to care too much about genre tropes when I'm having so much fun.
Um.. I wouldn't even call this a fucking RPG. Whoever calls the Mass Effect games RPGs are clearly delusional. Making a statement like "RPGs are in a sad state..." is just stupid when you use Mass Effect as your reference, as it's merely got RPG-like elements. That doesn't make this an RPG. >_>

That said, if RPGs are in a sad state, it's only because it's a fairly niche market. Most gamers aren't into RPGs, regardless of whether or not you are. Making an RPG is a lot more risky than making an FPS these days, so it's a logical thing to make ME2 more action-oriented than RPG-oriented. Additionally, I highly doubt it would have sold nearly as well had it gone the other way.

Dev wrote on Jan 30, 2010, 12:39:
PHJF:
I imagine that someone would experiance differant story bits depending on your choices, so that would be one reason to replay.
Not to mention that, now, you can play through the first game again, and have it impact the second one as well. I'm not certain, but I think, depending on who you romance in the first game, and of course, who you let die, you're going to have a lot different experience when it comes to character interaction in the second.

Bioware is really coming up with some novel (if not innovative) gaming mechanics. It kind of blows my mind considering the stagnancy of gaming innovation in the past few years. Watch them become the id Software of modern gaming.

edit - grammar + quote

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2010, 12:56.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 ATI Hotfix
7. Re: Mass Effect 2 ATI Hotfix Jan 29, 2010, 17:20 ForgedReality

LittleMe wrote on Jan 29, 2010, 17:01:
Because ATI doesn't pay developers to favor them.

Yea.. Or because ATI doesn't develop and debug graphics engines for game developers.

They would if they were paid to put their (unskippable intro) logo all over the game. Everybody already knows ATI is superior to nVidia in terms of image quality, and now they have the most powerful GPUs too. I don't mind the occasional hotfixed driver in exchange for those perks.

edit - Wow. ME2 looks a lot nicer with 4x fsaa now. Running at 2048x1280 with maxed details, and with this driver, it doesn't appear as if AA even impacts the framerate at all! (At least on my card...) Nice.

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2010, 22:33.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Launch Trailer
26. Re: Mass Effect 2 Launch Trailer Jan 22, 2010, 15:15 ForgedReality

Can't trust these "impressions," as the Unreal Engine does not offer any AA options for ATI cards. I, too, have an x2, and bloom helps aliasing, as does playing at 2048x1280, but, just like every other game made using this archaic engine, there is no AA capability offered to ATI customers.

Jerykk wrote on Jan 22, 2010, 00:34:
ME2 Initial Impressions after a couple hours of playtime:

- Character development is extremely limited. You now have 6 skills/powers (two of which may include ammo types). There are no longer any skills that aren't related to combat.
- Moral choices are still extremely obvious and binary. This is especially annoying after playing Dragon Age.
- Combat doesn't seem all that different from ME1.
- Turning on AA kills performance, even if it's only 2XAA. There doesn't seem to be any difference in performance between 2XAA and 8XAA. On my 4870X2, my framerate never drops below 38 with AA on but that's pretty crappy when other UE3 games run at 60+ FPS.

Not particularly impressed thus far but I'm still very early in the game so hopefully it improves.

News Comments > No More Burnout Paradise DLC
3. Re: No More Burnout Paradise DLC Jan 20, 2010, 18:14 ForgedReality

Please stop asking us for Burnout Paradise DLC. There will be no more! Sorry everyone! But we did WAY more than everyone else...

Wow, what a DICK response. Also, nobody has done more than Valve. Fuck you for thinking you're special, Criterion.

News Comments > Return to Ostagar Delays Explained
11. Re: Return to Ostagar Delays Explained Jan 20, 2010, 17:41 ForgedReality

It's busted on the 360, but not on PC. Fuck the consoles. >:[  

News Comments > BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info
20. Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 13:00 ForgedReality

First game was a stupid, WAY overrated waste of money. They think they have enough of an audience to even risk a move like this? HA!

On a slightly related note: I wish companies would stop going with the stupid Unreal Engine for their games. Honestly, I am sick of this engine and the annoying issues it has with ATI cards. Plus, it's flat out ugly, and games utilizing it invariably just .. feel "weird." I don't know how to describe it, really. Everything is plasticy, and movement and physics are strange somehow. It doesn't feel like a very fluid game, if that makes any sense.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: After Google hack, Microsoft asks users to abandon IE6, XP. Jan 19, 2010, 03:10 ForgedReality

I don't know why EVERYONE hasn't already abandoned IE altogether. :\  

News Comments > Avatar Game: What Went Wrong
68. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 17, 2010, 15:19 ForgedReality

The GEICO Cavemen wrote on Jan 17, 2010, 15:12:
Whoa, sorry...if I knew you were going to overreact this much I wouldn't have mentioned it. No, you didn't directly state it, you implied it.

Blue, can you re-title this story "Blues News Discussion of Avatar Game: What Went Wrong". Thanks...

Don't worry, dude. Some people are WAY too literal here. It's the same people who complain about a pixel being out of place in a frame of a movie, and let it ruin the entire experience for them.

People like this will be like "READ EXACTLY WHAT I SAID, ASSHOLE!" instead of conceding that there is a lot more to language than the literal. He knows what he was saying, he just wants to go down fighting.

News Comments > BioWare on ME2 Day 1 DLC, New Trailer
13. Re: BioWare on ME2 Day 1 DLC, New Trailer Jan 17, 2010, 15:13 ForgedReality

NKD wrote on Jan 17, 2010, 14:16:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 17, 2010, 13:56:
Uh oh. Looks like the game is buggy already.

I think you're jumping to conclusions about the state of the game from a tiny piece of evidence. There was not a lot of z-buffer artifacting in the original game, so it seems to be a solid guess that there won't be a lot of it here either.

I know. I'm fairly certain the game isn't FULL of bugs. I was half-jokingly being overly fanatical about that particular issue. However, that kind of thing does really tend to rub me the wrong way. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because it just seems to detract so much from the immersion I feel for the game, and it just bothers me that so many games have z buffering problems.

It shouldn't be that hard to fix. I mean, even Valve's Source engine takes a whack at it, but it's not perfect. Basically, if a texture is at the same exact location as another texture, it takes a look at each texture's z depth property, and orders them accordingly. Sometimes though, for whatever reason, this system fails. Maybe it's something to do with lack of precision, but with a game that looks as good and polished as ME2 is looking, it's particularly jarring to see.

65. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 17, 2010, 15:01 ForgedReality

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2010, 14:30:
Worst hole in the movie: "We must learn from the dream walker. The only way to do this, obviously, is to put him with our most eligible female 24/7 and teach him all of our secrets."

The plot was just bland, dull, and often stupid. Sorry if that's not "fun" to me. Not when I can think of several billion ways to spend 3 hours that aren't all 3 bland, dull and stupid.

I never saw Transformers. I don't intend to either. But I see your point, and that particular plot element did hit me at kind of an odd angle, but then again, I was able to see past that and just be like "meh, fuck it. It's a movie, and I'm here to have fun." I let it slide, and was able to just see it to its conclusion, and the whole was greater than its parts. I was with good people, and it was cool to see a movie in 3d, since I can't ever recall seeing one like that before. So maybe I'm being a bit too accepting, but then again, I'm not trying to pretend a movie should be completely flawless. Nothing is. If I wanted to make myself think, I'd do math or read a book. I am able to just have fun sometimes. If you don't do that, you'll burn out pretty quick. Anyway, I'm sure even you have been able to sit and play a game for three hours--an activity that doesn't exactly challenge your intellect (for the majority of games out there, at least).

The GEICO Cavemen wrote on Jan 17, 2010, 14:31:
I see what you're saying, nice post.

Getting back to why the Avatar video game sucks so much (I've neither seen the Avatar movie nor played the video game) my guess would be A) game-to-movie and movie-to-game projects rarely work well and B) Lazy developers and publishers think they can push a sub-standard product and it'll sell based on the strength of the movie alone.

PC games are tough as it is. Great games do poorly (flight sims come to mind) while shitty ones do great (The Sims comes to mind). Still, when it comes right down to it, if you make a great game that appeals to enough people (read, not a flight sim) then it'll do great, for the most part.

I think a large part of the problem (although, having never worked in the gaming industry, this is merely speculation) is that movie tie-ins are generally given a more static development timeline. They can't start work on the game until they have sufficient information and material from the movie to work from. And then the distribution house tells them they have to supply a finished product by the time of the film's release, or at least a short while after that time, while the film is still fresh in the consumer consciousness. As a result, you get a less refined, often unfinished product. They quickly tie up loose ends and close any dead-end code pathways just to hurry up and get the thing out the door on time. It's a shame, because so many products have great potential, but the industry needs to make money, so they focus on the dollar signs rather than the artistic and creative capability of the development team.

I would hate to be in that position--working for a game company that gets a movie tie-in IP. Your development house gets a bad name because its management takes on sure-fire failure contracts with shitty distributors. Eventually, these kind of dev houses go away when they stop making any money for the distributors. It's not the fault of the developers. They just sadly get caught up in the middle of something over which they have no control.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2010, 15:02.

59. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 17, 2010, 14:11 ForgedReality

The GEICO Cavemen wrote on Jan 17, 2010, 13:29:
If you're watching this movie expecting some History Channel documentary then yes it's going to suck for you. If you watch it as a MOVIE that does a great job of cranking up the tension then you may like it more. If you wanna watch a documentary then do that. This movie isn't one nor does it claim to be. The majority of negative comments I see about this movie say some variation of "it's not real". It's not supposed to be.

You thought The Hurt Locker "sucked balls" because it's got an absurd, unrealistic story? That's like me saying that Avatar sucks balls because it's the worst Western I've ever seen. It's not supposed to be a Western just like The Hurt Locker isn't a documentary. Flawed logic.

This is exactly my stance on why people seem to hate Avatar so much. They go in expecting some revolutionary story-telling event. You're going in with the wrong fucking attitude. Every time I hear someone explain why they didn't like the movie, they always mention the unoriginal plot and occasional corny dialogue. Maybe if they had gone in with a different expectation, they would have seen the movie for what it is meant to be: fun.

Stop over-analyzing everything and life probably won't suck so much for you people. I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D, and I'm sure the 3d-ness of it had something to do with my level of enjoyment, but I also did not go in with very high expectations of the film. I wasn't analyzing every frame of it looking for plot holes and preparing my compare and contrast thesis paper pitting it against films I'd seen in the past. I merely went in to see a movie and experience the hype surrounding it.

I knew strictly from the trailers and previews that it was probably going to be a somewhat unoriginal plot, but I still felt that the concept of remotely controlling bodies was a pretty novel idea (please don't start listing off other films/books/shows that did the same thing, because I just don't care.), and I thoroughly enjoyed the film for what it has to offer. I felt like it was a joyride from start to finish precisely because I wasn't thinking of the similarities to other movies, and I only even noticed some of the corny one-liners because I had heard them mentioned in reviews, etc. I was more focused on the visuals and the rollercoaster of events that unfolded.

I'm not a fanboy, but maybe if you haters weren't so dead-set on deconstructing every element of every second of the film, and then picking apart the layers of it so that it no longer carries any meaning, you might be able to find the FUN in it, because that's all it's trying to be. Movies are an ENTERTAINMENT MEDIUM, and this community of all people, I would think, would understand that, as your chosen hobbies include gaming, another medium whose sole purpose is entertainment. Stop being so uptight. Argue

News Comments > BioWare on ME2 Day 1 DLC, New Trailer
10. Re: BioWare on ME2 Day 1 DLC, New Trailer Jan 17, 2010, 13:56 ForgedReality

Uh oh. Looks like the game is buggy already.

Look at the trailer. Wait til around :10, the sniper scope view. There's the decades-old z-fighting issue on that geth's texture for the lights in his face. God dammit.

Why can't anybody seem to solve that problem? The only real solution I've seen is to put the texture slightly above the surface to which it's attached, but then you have other problems like "hey, why is that texture floating in mid-air" when you get close enough to tell. :\

35. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 17, 2010, 03:22 ForgedReality

"but instead the game followed a more typical post-holiday declining sales curve."

We refuse to acknowledge that everyone already knows videogame movie tie-ins suck 100% of the time. Were we to acknowledge that fact, it might hurt our bottom line.

News Comments > Red Faction: Guerilla Manual Patch
17. Re: Red Faction: Guerilla Patch Jan 16, 2010, 12:20 ForgedReality

McJammiepants wrote on Jan 15, 2010, 12:56:
This patch is so incredibly overdue it comes a good three months after I uninstalled the unplayable glitchy mess.

Strange. I never had any problems with it, aside from an odd physics bug here and there...

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo