Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ForgedReality

Real Name ForgedReality   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ForgedReality
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 16, 2009, 20:41
Total Comments 1148 (Pro)
User ID 55267

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 14, 2010, 13:51 ForgedReality

the site is a one-stop resource for those looking to get up to speed on actions being brought against Intel for impeding competition, stifling innovation ...

REALLY, nVidia? You're gunna go there? Wow. Hypocrits.

One word: PhysX.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battle vs Chess Announced
10. Re: Battle vs Chess Announced Mar 14, 2010, 01:55 ForgedReality

I remember playing Battle Chess back in like 7th grade in the "computer lab," instead of doing what we were supposed to be doing. Ah, good times.  

News Comments > Newell on DRM
35. Re: Newell on DRM Mar 14, 2010, 01:13 ForgedReality

Sepharo wrote on Mar 14, 2010, 00:58:
Calm down and come up with a better analogy.

hehe.. It was more for fun than to create an analogy.

How about, I buy a car. I don't mind having to use the key to start it. That's unobtrusive. It's expected. But when they start putting combination locks on all the doors, and retinal scanners inside before I can even use that key, I start seriously considering walking to my destination.

No?

How about, STAY THE FUCK OUT OF TELLING ME HOW THE FUCK I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PLAY THE GAME I JUST BOUGHT UBI! If I want to play on the fucking plane trip to wherever-the-fuck, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THAT. It's a single player game for Christ's sakes! Why are you dictating how and where I can play it by requiring me to be online at all times? Eat a fat bag of sausages, Ubisoft! >:\

Better?

33. Re: Newell on DRM Mar 14, 2010, 00:13 ForgedReality

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2010, 17:37:
So for Gabe to talk about the negativity of DRM, he's really just talking about the approach, not the existence of DRM itself.

Hey, everybody! Captain Obvious just arrived!

---anyway---
Every game on my system is cracked. Every one with the exception of those on Steam. Why is that, I wonder? The first thing I do before I buy a non-steam game, is I look to make sure there's a crack for it. If not, I wait.

Honestly, nobody wants to deal with the hassle of digging out a scratched up, possibly cracked CD or DVD just to play a game you bought and installed, only to have it not even work because the fucking thing is so worn out that it won't even read properly in the drive. It's only worn out because you have to fucking get it out and use it so goddamn much.

Pain. In. The. Ass.

I didn't buy this pain in the ass; I bought this game. Why the fuck am I putting up with this bullshit? When I order a pizza, I bitch when they put anchovies on that I didn't order, and I get a new goddamn pizza of the kind that I want. I don't want the pizza place adding extra shit I didn't ask for. I don't care if it's free this week, assholes, I WANT THE PIZZA I MOTHERFUCKING ORDERED, not this headache from some zit-faced high school drop out behind the counter. I ordered a cheese-motherfucking-pizza, not an olive and DRM pizza! >:[

Now, with Steam, I don't have to worry about any of that shit, because I don't even notice that it's there. It's not in the way. It doesn't present unwarranted inconveniences. I don't have to crack the fucking thing just to play the game I paid for.

DRM's gotten to where you'll second-guess even buying the thing because you don't want to have to worry about the extra hassle. Maybe that's why some people prefer console gaming--and why they say that PC gaming is dead/dying.

Well, I vote with my pocketbook. I won't allow cancers like Ubisoft to ruin my favorite pastime, and I won't buy a shitty console just to avoid that hassle either.

11. Re: Newell on DRM Mar 13, 2010, 17:06 ForgedReality

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 13, 2010, 15:14:
Gabe, you mean like having to run bloatware in the background, for example?.
Sup, clueless? How's 1996 treatin' ya?

nin wrote on Mar 13, 2010, 16:10:
...if his lack of action on a system he's apart of allows other publishers to harm a market that he himself would be wise to support.
"Apart" is the opposite of what I'm sure you meant.

Anyway, like others have said, it's not Gabe's responsibility to govern other companies' short-sightedness, and it's not his fault when they suffer massive failures for it.

At any rate, I'd hardly call AC2 a failure at this point. It's selling really well, despite the hideous DRM that it's shackled with. The failure was in their underestimation of customer demand upon their servers. Aside from that, it appears the DRM is rather non-invasive.

I do, however, worry for those who will want to continue playing the game once it stops being supported, and Ubi ultimately fails to come through on their promise that they'd "patch" it should the servers cease to be a factor.

News Comments > NVIDIA Responds to ATI PhysX Comments
36. Re: NVIDIA Responds to ATI PhysX Comments Mar 13, 2010, 13:43 ForgedReality

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Mar 13, 2010, 12:35:
I have not yet seen anything PhysX can that Havok or whatever can't do. Seriously, I've even watched PhysX promo trailers with showing splitscreen the game with and without PhysX. It was like playing "Find It" on hardcore.

Fuck PhysX. No one would really miss it if it would simply stop existing.
Have never seen a Havok game.

Or if it used Havok, never noticed.

PhysX is noticeable, and it was really well implemented in Batman:AA.

Dunno where you're seeing PhysX-level Havok effects, but I'd be interested to find out.

finga wrote on Mar 13, 2010, 12:21:
Seems pretty simple right now. ATI is delivering better raw performance for the money at several price points, and nVidia knows they're not going to win on that this generation, so they've been pushing their proprietary, closed features as an alternative. Hence we see nVidia trying to dominate the conversation with talk of 3DVision and PhysX.

For me, Eyefinity is just as interesting of a feature as 3DVision in-game, but 1) 3DVision can cause headaches and offers no gameplay advantage, and 2) Eyefinity setups can be used outside of games. On the physics front, I see so many games out there only using 25-50% of a quad core CPU. Why would I use the component that's most often the bottleneck in games (the GPU) for that calculation when the CPU could be used? Unfortunately, developers still haven't figured that bit out yet and are adding in things like PhysX support only for nVidia cards when that could have easily gone on the CPU.

Show me a CPU with hundreds of cores, and we'll be in business.

News Comments > OpenGL 4.0 Announced
4. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 18:59 ForgedReality

Yeah since when is Ogl even relevant anymore? NOTHING uses it. Nothing.  

News Comments > OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games
49. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 10, 2010, 19:48 ForgedReality

Who would do this? Honestly, it seems like a huge rip-off to me. :\  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2010, 13:40 ForgedReality

Acleacius wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 13:35:
Wicked, no more line only vectors, the light cycles use curves!

Thanks for the linky, nin.

Great idea about facebook, Dr.Del. Hope Blue gets even more traffic.
The term is "bezier curves."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2010, 13:17 ForgedReality

Tired of Onion News Network. Their shit's not funny anymore, if it ever was. Not fun to watch their stuff as it's just grown annoying on me. :\ Don't know if they're just out of material or if I'm just tired of their ridiculousness. Anybody else feel similarly? Probably not. >:[  

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Resume
1. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Resume Mar 9, 2010, 11:48 ForgedReality

"...The attack was caused by those customers trying to login."

Fixed for you there, Ubi.

News Comments > EA Servers Down
2. Re: EA Servers Down Mar 9, 2010, 11:47 ForgedReality

I'm so glad DRM works as it is intended. It's totally worth my hard-earned money to buy games these days.  

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again
51. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 01:56 ForgedReality

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 01:34:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 01:05:
Please; enlighten us.
If you've always been able to play your games which require Steam and never had it fail to launch a game then you have either been very lucky, haven't used Steam for very long, or only use it infrequently.

Very lucky? I've only recently heard of this ever happening, and that was during the mysterious Portal puzzle a week or so ago. Something was up with Steam's content servers or something, and I think it may have only affected users of the new beta GUI (which I also use).

I have used Steam since 2006, and I have NEVER had any problems with it denying me access to my games. I can't honestly think of any other problems either. And I use it quite frequently.

There is of course the occasional inconvenience of Steam disconnecting from, and being unable to reconnect for some time to the servers which has only had an affect on one game: Team Fortress 2. And it didn't mean I couldn't play. It just meant that my non-standard items didn't work (only the main weapons you have before you unlock achievements or that you obtain from item drops will work). And as I said, the game still runs the same, and it's only a slight annoyance. Usually, reconnecting to the server fixes it, but sometimes it's a Steam-wide thing, which is a shame, but not catastrophic.

45. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 01:05 ForgedReality

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 21:14:
Steam's DRM would be horrendous to more customers if it wasn't so easily cracked or if the fanboys weren't so blinded by love that they overlook its failures.
Please; enlighten us.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
5. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Mar 9, 2010, 00:51 ForgedReality

Jerykk wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 23:57:
I can't complain this patch too much. It seems to make the game slightly harder, which is always a good thing.
Not when it was so impossible before that it made you stop playing because the grind is un-fun.

News Comments > Shank Trailer
1. Re: Shank Trailer Mar 8, 2010, 23:03 ForgedReality

Wow. This looks really good. Too bad it's distro'd by EA. :\ That's gunna ruin its chances.  

33. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 20:54 ForgedReality

I'm pretty certain it's just the legit customers overloading the servers. I'm starting to doubt this DRM will be crackable though. It appears the game asks the server for certain information as to what to do in order to continue. If the game doesn't receive that information, the player is stuck at whatever spot they're in, since the game doesn't have the script to know what to do next. Kind of innovative, but it's really bad for business to fuck over your paying customers.

And what happens when Ubi goes out of business? "Oh, sorry guys. We're shutting the servers down so you may as well throw all your games away. Thanks for the cash though. Bye! :D"

29. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 19:58 ForgedReality

Apparently Ubi has already released a patch for the game/launcher...

edit - wait maybe not.. <_<

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2010, 20:13.

8. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 17:55 ForgedReality

They're going to try to filter half the traffic out at their routers, and when that fails, they're going to release a patch to make the game only authenticate on install. Watch.  

News Comments > Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands Trailer
6. Re: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands Trailer Mar 8, 2010, 17:51 ForgedReality

siapnar wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 17:33:
I would kill for a semi-realistic FPS or TPS (see: Max Payne) with those style of graphics.
Team Fortress 2. Best FPS ever created. The visuals are not quite EXACTLY like the last PoP, but it's somewhat cartoony, but with an edge. And there are supposedly mods out there you can download to get it a lot closer to the PoP look.

1148 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo