Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ForgedReality

Real Name ForgedReality   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ForgedReality
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 16, 2009, 20:41
Total Comments 1097 (Pro)
User ID 55267

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 & Counter-Strike: Source Beta Updates
17. Re: Team Fortress 2 & Counter-Strike: Source Beta Updates May 20, 2010, 13:53 ForgedReality

starmonkey wrote on May 20, 2010, 05:23:
Sepharo wrote on May 20, 2010, 02:17:
Pretty sure that never ever never ever was sarcasm.

Argh! Where are those sarcasm tags, I ask you!
...I thought it would be obvious.

Undead Scottsman wrote on May 20, 2010, 05:48:
I just told you they unintentionally nerfed the Backburner at the same time as the Flamethrower (since it was unintentional, it never made the patch notes. There were plenty of people complaining about it though); the 20% boost was to restore it to it's original damage. (And actually didn't even do that, as it was only up to 96% of its original damage)

The split now is the Flamethrower is at 88% of its pre-nerf damage, and the Backburner is at 101% of its pre-nerf damage. (Another way to put it is that the BB's damage booster is a quality of the weapon: it does 15% more damage than the FF. If the FF does 100 damage, the BB does 115. If the FF does 50 damage, the BB does 57.5.)

How can you say this for certain? You can tell the difference between 95% and 100%? Or are you just assuming because they said a percentage, that they actually USED a percentage, AND that it was based upon its current value at the time?

You know when they code it, they can (and probably do, for ease of implementation) just plug in a number value right? Like their damage calculation could look something like:
Math.random()*(75-45)+45
And then they can plug that number into another calculation to take distance to target into account, and all they need to do to modify the damage dealt is change the 75 or 45 or both, for the numbers that represent the max and min damage. They don't have to calculate it based upon a percentage. They might just call it a percentage in the patch notes to make it easier to understand.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2010, 14:00.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Team Fortress 2 & Counter-Strike: Source Beta Updates May 20, 2010, 04:45 ForgedReality

Undead Scottsman wrote on May 20, 2010, 02:52:
Uh, the Backburner was never 40% more powerful than the flamethrower. When Valve nerfed the FF, the Backburner got unintentionally nerfed along with it. Valve added the quality to the BB that it would do 20% more damage than the FF.. Course this was using the new FF as the base, rather than the old one, so the BB wound up doing 96% of it's old damage.

Now the FF has been upped by 10% (from 80% to 88%) and the BB has been brought down to 15% extra of the FF's damage, it leaves it at 101% of it's original damage.

Flamethrower direct damage reduced 20%.
Added a 20% damage bonus to The Backburner

20 + 20 = ?

They were originally equal.

Fixed the Flare Gun's afterburn duration being lowered by the Flamethrower's duration reduction
Maybe that's what you're referring to, or they just made an omission in the patch notes. Something that major should have been made clear, however.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2010, 04:51.

News Comments > Avatar Game Sells Well
6. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 01:41 ForgedReality

Jerykk wrote on May 20, 2010, 00:38:
What the movie tonight. It's really good in retrospect. I can see why it was nominated for an Oscar.

What? Avatar was basically a sci-fi remake of Pocahontas. It was a decent movie but completely generic and forgettable.
Yeah. It was really awesome in true IMAX 3d on an actual 6 story tall screen. That experience was pretty unbeatable, but story-wise, yeah....

News Comments > Steam Mac Data
7. Re: Steam Mac Data May 20, 2010, 01:39 ForgedReality

Bob wrote on May 20, 2010, 00:15:
Without hearing more detail, it sounds like they need to check out their cross-platform tools. Something's not right if one platform is crashing 5x more than another.

5x? Did you mean 20%?

10. Re: Team Fortress 2 & Counter-Strike: Source Beta Updates May 20, 2010, 01:34 ForgedReality

Sepharo wrote on May 20, 2010, 00:10:
Current players of CS will hate it.
People who don't play CS generally don't like CS.
So this is a rather pointless update.

They should have just put the new nice stats and achievements in CS:S as it is now and not bother with the netcode and graphics.
Maybe, but to Mac users, CS:S is probably a beautiful, gorgeous, state-of-the-art game.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
30. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 23:23 ForgedReality

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 19, 2010, 21:27:
2 deals for it if anyone wants it for RDR.

RDR Deals
Oh, look! Console games at PC game prices.

3. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 19, 2010, 23:12 ForgedReality

Diabolus in Musica wrote on May 19, 2010, 22:21:
Can you point out some more blatantly obvious shit for us?
It's not blatantly obvious to Ubi, obviously, or they wouldn't be boasting about the sales in this press release.

7. Re: Team Fortress 2 & Counter-Strike: Source Beta Updates May 19, 2010, 22:54 ForgedReality

Dev wrote on May 19, 2010, 22:40:
I'm surprised valve reverted some of the pyro changes. Its rare to see valve admit they are wrong.
Firstly, they didn't REVERT anything. They just nudged the differences closer together. Now, instead of the USELESS RETARDED NOT-CREDIT-TO-TEAM backburner being 40% more powerful than the far-superior flamethrower, it's only 30% more powerful, and the afterburn duration was slightly increased, but not to where it originally was.

Secondly, they are ALWAYS making adjustments in the name of balance. Where have you been all this time? They aren't admitting they are wrong, it's called fine-tuning, and it's something NO OTHER game dev ever does ever in the history of ever.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2010, 22:06 ForgedReality

Wow. Redwood is a classic figure in gaming. I remember him from Quake, and probably DOOM before that.

Also, let's take that fucking BP chief, drown him in oil, and force his corporation to pay the entire world back for the damage it has done to the planet (including their mere existence prior to this tragic incident). I'm sure after 456trillion dollars, they'd still have plenty to survive comfortably off of. Greedy pricks.

News Comments > Steam Mac Data
1. Re: Steam Mac Data May 19, 2010, 21:43 ForgedReality

# Portal (with the same code base across platforms) is one fifth as likely to crash on a Mac than on Windows.

Weird. I don't think Portal has EVER crashed on me, and I wouldn't go near a mac.

1. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 19, 2010, 21:42 ForgedReality

2.5 million grandmas buying it for their grandkids as birthday presents. Nobody really wants this game.  

2. Re: Team Fortress 2 & Counter-Strike: Source Beta Updates May 19, 2010, 21:41 ForgedReality

Sepharo wrote on May 19, 2010, 21:00:
I'm able to install it now...

Better try now if you've wanted to.
Which is that?

News Comments > Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme
40. Re: Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme May 19, 2010, 17:11 ForgedReality

Bet wrote on May 19, 2010, 17:09:
DRM and DLC go hand in hand perfectly.
Except, you can pirate DLC, you can't pirate DRM.

News Comments > Just Cause 2 Interview
3. Re: Just Cause 2 Interview May 19, 2010, 13:22 ForgedReality

Creston wrote on May 19, 2010, 11:42:
I wish they would fucking patch the V-Sync crap, though.
Please educate me.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins - The Darkspawn Chronicles Released
17. Re: Dragon Age: Origins - The Darkspawn Chronicles Released May 19, 2010, 13:14 ForgedReality

wonkawonka wrote on May 19, 2010, 07:01:
There are 6 playable DLCs for this game?
Not talking about a ring or a sword, but actual content to play.
I was exaggerating, and I guess I was probably adding in the promo items, but there's The Awakening, Return to Ostagar (or whatever), and now Darkspawn Chronicles, which sounds like it's going to be episodic content or something.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Pyro Changes This Week
14. Re: Team Fortress 2 Pyro Changes This Week May 19, 2010, 13:01 ForgedReality

frag.machine wrote on May 19, 2010, 09:35:
#11: Could not agree more. While stills vital to win the game itself (protecting sentries, spy checking, airblasting heavy-medic combos, etc.) the pyro is very unlikely to figure among the top score players because he(she ?) lost a lot of kill factor in the latest nerf. It was actually demoted to a auxiliary position in gameplay. Meanwhile, the scout stills able to kill a full-health heavy with two point blank, crit FaN shots - and now can even abuse the Boink! with less penalty.

Bonk* is actually a lot less annoying for the guy on the receiving end now. I'm glad it doesn't make you completely stationary and defenseless. They also cut its duration just about in half. This is how it should have been from the start. Valve broke a cardinal rule of game design when they created a spellcaster that can take control away from the player in that way. Never remove control from the player. All that does is frustrate the player by forcing him into an unfair situation that he can do nothing to defend against.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2010, 12:49 ForgedReality

Yeah, Jane's AH-64D Longbow was awesome in the manual regard. Never played the second, as I recall, but I have the Longbow box on my shelf still.

The most awesome manual I have ever seen has got to be the huge, thick, spiral-bound one that came with the original Red Baron from Dynamix. That bitch had tons of info on vehicles (both ground and airborne), the air war and the trench war of WWI. Lots of great info to read.

Red Baron 2 could be a fierce contender for second place. It wasn't spiral-bound, but it was pretty thick and full of goodies as well.

Yes, I still have both of those as well. >_>

News Comments > Mafia II and PhysX
15. Re: Mafia II and PhysX May 19, 2010, 06:11 ForgedReality

ThatOtherGuy wrote on May 19, 2010, 06:00:
You guys act like you only have the memory capacity to pay attention to the most recent news article about a game, and base your opinion wholly on that.
Heavens forbid it to be a focussed press release instead of a full preview.
K. Be a sucker and buy the thing on release day then, and then be pissed when you can't return it and get your money back.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse Episode 2
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse Episode 2 May 19, 2010, 06:07 ForgedReality

Jesus how many of these episodes are they going to do? This is like number 38. Why don't they just do a single game with all of this content and have it divided up into chapters or something? That would really be something. This nickel and dime shit is really getting old.

Also, @Blue: Telltale*.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands May 19, 2010, 05:58 ForgedReality

Jerykk wrote on May 18, 2010, 22:54:
On a side note, apparently this PoP is only six hours long. That's pretty lame but I guess that's becoming a trend for Ubisoft. Splinter Cell: Conviction was also only 6 hours long.

Wow. A single player game with no replay value and short-as-shit playthru time? Gee, Ubi, you think maybe you're digging your own grave here?

GIVE PLAYERS SOMETHING THEY WANT TO BUY, AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PIRACY. Players want an experience that isn't a dick in the ass. Just so you know, Ubi.

1097 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo