Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ForgedReality

Real Name ForgedReality   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ForgedReality
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 16, 2009, 20:41
Total Comments 1526 (Pro)
User ID 55267

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features
41. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 16:49 ForgedReality

Shineyguy wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 16:44:
NewMaxx wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 16:04:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 15:46:
I did not realize this fact about running dual cards in the new graphics APIs! Any source or further information about this working with older cards or is this only for newer "dx12/mantle certified" cards?

DX12 will work with any NVIDIA card from the 400-series and up. Any AMD card built on GCN should also work which I believe is 7xxx and higher. Mantle works on a similar subset of cards. Keep in mind that you should be able to mix NVIDIA and AMD cards in a multi-GPU setup with DX12, too.

**Provided that the developer bakes multi-GPU support directly into their game. Otherwise it's still handled by the driver, and I do not see AMD nor nVidia allowing this to happen in their own software.

Also, the shared pool of memory has to be coded for directly in game as well. So maybe we'll see these things down the road.

It used to be kind of possible in the past. Years ago, you used to be able to run AMD for graphics acceleration and nVidia for PhysX. You had to install both AMD and nVidia drivers, but it worked. And then nVidia disabled the capability, and you could only do it through community-hacked drivers. Every time a new driver was released, you had to wait for the patched version. It was kind of cool, though a pain in the ass. Not really worth it these days with nVidia leading with everything other than compute. Not sure what advantage it would get you with DX12, since you'd only be as fast as the slowest card anyway, I'd imagine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 15:14 ForgedReality

Shineyguy wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 15:04:
The higher your resolution, the less any form of Anti-aliasing is needed. So 4K with 8xAA is just silly.

It was an example for illustrative purposes. Don't forget, Windows 8 or Win7 with Aero enabled will reduce your amount of available VRAM by around 200-300mbytes. AA can cost you around 150mb per frame at 1080p, then you have z-buffer, textures, shadow maps, any shader textures, etc. The card is doing a ton of shit behind the scenes, and it all takes up memory. It's not just about the framebuffer. Everything scales with resolution, too.

If you plan to play 4k, 4gigs isn't enough, unless you plan to run with lower settings. But then, why bother running 4k in the first place?

30. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 14:32 ForgedReality

Shineyguy wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 14:21:
ForgedReality wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 13:50:
Okay that makes sense then. But, holy shit, to be releasing a 4gb card this late in the game when everyone is thinking about 4k gaming or at least multimon setups... That's kind of ludicrous in itself. I get that the stacked RAM is expensive, but by the time the "Fury" comes out, nVidia's 14nm Pascal will be right around the corner, using HBM2. AMD needs to stop getting clobbered.

AMD's "Fury" will be releasing within the month, Pascal will not be releasing until sometime next year.

And with HBM, 4GB should be enough as the card can page out and address it's memory at much faster pace than current cards. That and we still aren't seeing the framebuffer being filled properly anyway.

I was referring to the 8gb version. The 4gb version is still going to be extraordinarily high in price. Ultra textures, 4k, multiple monitors, 4gb isn't anywhere near enough for future-proofing, and I'd argue even current-proofing. There are games out now that you can hit that 4gb cap easily. It's not just a single image that needs to be stored. It's the textures being used in that frame, which includes shadow mapping, shaders, translucency, AA textures for each pass, etc. It adds up quickly, especially at 4k.

That's why your video memory requirements drop when you do things like lower the shadow quality, for example. Shadow maps are textures, too, and the higher their resolution, the more memory they require, for each frame. Same goes for AA. 16xAA is a full resolution texture for each pass.

One example: Hitman: Absolution will quickly break the 5.5gb mark at 4k and 8xAA.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2015, 14:56.

28. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 14:19 ForgedReality

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 14:11:
ForgedReality wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 13:50:
... but by the time the "Fury" comes out, nVidia's 14nm Pascal will be right around the corner, using HBM2. AMD needs to stop getting clobbered.

Well, it remains to be seen when the 8GB dual chip Fury will really become available and when Pascal is going to come out. TSMC is superoptimistic as always but they rarely get their shit together and stuff gets delayed big time so...
Pascal is 16nm FinFET by the way, not 14nm. There is a rumor that AMD might go with Global Foundries and 14nm for their next gen and that 14nm GloFo may be ready as early as late this year while TSMC 16nm is estimated to be ready early 2016 for mass production.
But all of that should be taken with truck loads of salt because the foundries almost always overpromise and underdeliver.

16?

NVIDIA teases next-gen Pascal-based GeForce with HBM2, 14nm and more

Samsung to make 14nm graphics processors for Nvidia

25. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 13:50 ForgedReality

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 10:55:
ForgedReality wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 10:39:
1badmf wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 09:57:
InBlack wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 09:21:
Waay too expensive. But then again, when there is no competition in the high end market....

I really hope AMD pulls something out of its sleeve and sooner rather than later.

supposedly their nextgen cards are coming out in june/july. most of it is updated current cards, but allegedly their fiji card with the HBM will be among them.

I read a report this morning that suggested the 390x will be an "enhanced" (rebranded) Hawaii board, so the entire 300 series would be a bunch of rebrands, if that's true. I really don't expect the 390x to save them, even with the higher bandwidth memory since the GPU will likely bottleneck it anyway. AMD has to come up with something soon, because nVidia is utterly crushing them in every department.

The 390X Hawaii rebrand will have GDDR5 and no HBM. The only real new cards with the Fiji chip will be called 'Fury'. They will have 4GB HBM and a 8GB dual chip model will follow in a few months.
The 390X will compete with GTX 970/980 and all the other 3xx rebrands will compete with their counterparts from GTX 970 downward.

The one million dollar question is: What will Fiji/Fury be able to pull off? Rumors recently indicated that it will about match TitanX performance.

If that is true then the other big question is the price. Rumors a couple weeks back were talking about $799 to $849 but AMD can totally forget about that now that the $649 GTX 980Ti is out. They will be forced to match the price, maybe even undercut a little since they "only" got 4GB. It's 4GB HBM rather than the 6GB GDDR5 on the Ti but in games it probably won't make a difference.
People are also used to just look at the numbers with memory so it will be very difficult for their marketing to properly advertise the advantages of a faster interface.

But we'll see... it's highly unlikely IMHO and I'm inclined to believe in the rumors that see TitanX and Fury on about equal footing but maybe Fury is a "TitanX killer".

Okay that makes sense then. But, holy shit, to be releasing a 4gb card this late in the game when everyone is thinking about 4k gaming or at least multimon setups... That's kind of ludicrous in itself. I get that the stacked RAM is expensive, but by the time the "Fury" comes out, nVidia's 14nm Pascal will be right around the corner, using HBM2. AMD needs to stop getting clobbered.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 1, 2015, 10:54 ForgedReality

Sprint: If this happens, there will be nothing else keeping me here. Bye bye.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch Plans
8. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Plans Jun 1, 2015, 10:46 ForgedReality

Cutter wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 10:33:
I wish they had done a better job on balancing gold so you don't have to constantly go around stealing everything that isn't nailed down just to have the things you need and/or sell for gold. That's a pretty major annoyance actually. And haggling for rewards is all but useless as well. You can never get more than 20 or 30 gold over the original reward price. Even if you start at 1/2 between the base and the max people get majorly annoyed.

And I just use the fire and wind runes for lighting/extinguishing stuff. I really enjoy cutting down people in slo-mo on horseback too. It's always satisfying when you lop someones head off at full gallop. It so much easier fighting groups of men/monsters.

I don't know what you're talking about. I have way more gold than I know what to do with. Level 14, iirc, with nearly 15,000 gold. I have no issues buying any Gwent cards or weapon/armor repair kits I find. I have more food than the population of China as well, mostly because I'm sure to always loot that when I find it, including wolf liver and raw meat. XD

I think the character points I've been putting into Witcher Signs are helping with the haggling, maybe. Having Axii in the active signs might help, but I haven't tested yet. I'm usually able to haggle above the midpoint just fine, and that's usually at least 100 gold more than they offered, but it might have to do with the quest level too.

7. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 10:39 ForgedReality

1badmf wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 09:57:
InBlack wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 09:21:
Waay too expensive. But then again, when there is no competition in the high end market....

I really hope AMD pulls something out of its sleeve and sooner rather than later.

supposedly their nextgen cards are coming out in june/july. most of it is updated current cards, but allegedly their fiji card with the HBM will be among them.

I read a report this morning that suggested the 390x will be an "enhanced" (rebranded) Hawaii board, so the entire 300 series would be a bunch of rebrands, if that's true. I really don't expect the 390x to save them, even with the higher bandwidth memory since the GPU will likely bottleneck it anyway. AMD has to come up with something soon, because nVidia is utterly crushing them in every department.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2015, 15:18 ForgedReality

Pigeon wrote on May 30, 2015, 15:16:
Nothing like losing your shit over some turkey sausage. I've had a few frustrating experiences at restaurants but I've never yelled, screamed or even remotely raised my voice at the staff. I know a lot of people will behave like that because they're trying to bully others into getting their way, and/or they feel entitled to treat another person like crap because their order wasn't right.

Had I been there, I would have asked the manager if he'd like me to hunt her down using my witcher senses for a handsome bit of coin in return...

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
76. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC May 30, 2015, 15:15 ForgedReality

nin wrote on May 30, 2015, 05:34:
(legal disclaimer: I have not played the game).

Not to worry; nor has he.

67. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC May 30, 2015, 00:35 ForgedReality

Krovven wrote on May 30, 2015, 00:00:
[url=][/url]
harlock wrote on May 29, 2015, 19:01:
theres no respec - its supposed to be more character driven, in that if you fuck up your choices - you live with it

although im sure there will be mods for it, like everything else - including and especially combat, just like there was last time, addressing the same things people are complaining about this time

There IS a respec in the game. 1000 gold from a particular vendor. Found it last night. And no I'm not ruining for people by saying where. I will say though that it's somewhere in Velen.

I found it too but saw no reason to do so.

News Comments > New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection
43. Re: New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection May 29, 2015, 16:51 ForgedReality

Fletch wrote on May 29, 2015, 15:13:
Not interested. Online required DRM is a deal-breaker. Then again... Witcher3 taught me that developers who support DRM-free releases don't necessarily give a shit about PC gamers, and are just fine releasing buggy console crapola as a PC game. CDPR, you don't get any more of my money, either.

Buggy? I think I've experienced one tiny insignificant bug where a key didn't spawn in a loot drop to let a guy out of a cage when I killed his captors. I googled it and I'm not the only one apparently. But after 50 some hours, that's all. What have you experienced? Have you noticed they've been patching the hell out of it too? The PC version is up to 1.04, and the consoles still haven't even gotten 1.03. And there are 16 free DLC's (four of which are already released) and two huge expansions planned. Doesn't give a shit about PC gamers, indeed...

51. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC May 29, 2015, 16:35 ForgedReality

Don't be stupid. Read the shit people complaining are saying. They basically hate everyone who disagrees with them because OMFG HOW COULD THEY POSSIBLY HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION?! And that's how the thread turns into a shitstorm. My bad for trying to get people to lighten the fuck up and stop being dicks to each other. Notice how it just made you be more of a dick. Or maybe that's just you.  

46. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC May 29, 2015, 14:45 ForgedReality

Redmask wrote on May 29, 2015, 14:37:
If people 'whining' bugs so much then just talk about the game and ignore them, otherwise you're just feeding into their bullshit. In fact there are more posts responding to 'whiners' than there actual whiners.

Because there are a couple who keep reprising their presence. That's why they just need to stop. It's disruptive to those of us who know how to play well with others.

44. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC May 29, 2015, 14:34 ForgedReality

Oh.
My.
God.

Crybabies: SHUT THE FUCK UP.

If you don't like the game (probably because you're a boring and shitty example of humanity), then don't play it. Clearly, spouting all your bullshit opinions based upon--and exhibiting--your complete lack of skill/patience/taste is not going to change the minds of all the people (who are the vast majority, I'll remind you) who absolutely love this game.

Are there faults? Of course there are. Could you conceive a better game? Of course you couldn't. The faults that it has aren't massive detractors from the overall experience, and they're largely issues you can avoid with little effort. That said, it's quite easily among the best, most comprehensive, and robust games to be released in a long while. The amount of content, quality, amazing writing, and stellar gameplay presented here is an extraordinary feat, and all you fucking little dickholes nitpicking tiny little things just because you have nothing good to say need to examine your life and figure out why in the fuck you're such a shitty little negative nancy. And Mac and his fucking deluded Worth-A-Buy review can both suck my big black dick.

Have a lovely day!

News Comments > Overwatch Video
6. Re: Overwatch Video May 29, 2015, 14:01 ForgedReality

Clearly, they're modeling this game exactly off of Team Fortress 2. They are doing badly at the attempt. Sorry, WoW isn't an FPS. Stick to what you're good at (and I've never had the urge to play). Thanks.  

37. Re: New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection May 29, 2015, 13:51 ForgedReality

eRe4s3r wrote on May 29, 2015, 13:31:
Obviously

The tire physics need to be calculated in the cloud!

Btw, I can't even begin to express how hilarious that sim city thing appears in retro-perspective ^^

Tire physics? In an NFS game? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAAAAAHHHAAAHAHAHAHA!!! What do you think this is? 1995?

24. Re: New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection May 29, 2015, 12:08 ForgedReality

The best NFS games were High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed. Since then, they're garbage with unrealistic arcade physics. It's fucking annoying. Hey let's add all kinds of stupid warping and blurring effects and make it so you can turn a 175 degree turn at 250mph without losing traction! GREAT IDEA!

No. NFS sucks now. EA sucks too. I wouldn't support them if they paid me a million dollars to do so.

News Comments > The Witcher III Exp Bug
16. Re: The Witcher III Exp Bug May 28, 2015, 13:38 ForgedReality

BitWraith wrote on May 28, 2015, 13:00:
Dirty Butler wrote on May 28, 2015, 12:31:
I fight everything I can from good ol Roach haha. 34 hours in and I just realized that holding down the attack button on the horse slows down time, made my life a lot easier.

I had no idea about this. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I've been doing that too since level 3 or 4. Does a lot of damage rolling up to bandits and lopping off their heads.

News Comments > The Witcher III Exp Bug
12. Re: The Witcher III Exp Bug May 28, 2015, 12:13 ForgedReality

Verno wrote on May 28, 2015, 11:31:
ForgedReality wrote on May 28, 2015, 10:54:
I've been doing quests six or more levels ABOVE mine. It's incredibly difficult, and I'm sure I'm going to miss out on some things by doing shit ahead of time, but holy crap this game is too much fun.

Yeah I'm playing on the second highest difficulties and every animation frame matters, the battles are absolutely lethal and its compounded by the frequent level differences I'm seeing. Makes for a very challenging experience that is still rewarding and fun, can't imagine playing on Normal or etc.

Damn. I'm only playing on the second difficulty--"story and sword", or whatever they call it--and it's pretty tough, at least the way I've been playing. When I was level 4 (I'm level 11 now), I tackled a Witcher quest that was recommended level 20 or something. HOLY SHITTTT that was really, really, really hard. There were Endrega Workers and Endrega Warriors I had to get past. I was hitting them for like 10-15 damage every time. They killed me in one or two hits, plus they're poisonous. Took forever. I was like, "I NEED to do this!" Got a bunch of equipment and diagrams I can't even use yet.

1526 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo