Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ForgedReality

Real Name ForgedReality   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ForgedReality
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 16, 2009, 20:41
Total Comments 1178 (Pro)
User ID 55267

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Saved Game Problem
10. Re: StarCraft II Saved Game Problem Jul 28, 2010, 17:28 ForgedReality

Dev wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 16:48:
What are the "all kinds of problems"? So far these are the first I've seen, and it suspisiously mirrors the problems with the cracked warez version. And even if they are all legit players, its something that can be worked around without too much problem. For instance, restarting the game between missions would show if you can reload the last missions savegame. At worst, doing it that way you'd lose a single mission's progress from a disconnect.

Wrong. These issues are not related to pirated versions. You should probably pay closer attention. In addition to this and the lack of real AA support, there are threads on the official forums outlining known issues, as well as more bugs as users discover them.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501356
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/94749474

Tumbler wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 16:53:
seems like reasonable early adopter stuff so far. Online services like this will have their kinks, so far I don't see anything to worry about.

Calling it early adopter woes is one thing, but accepting it, and seeing it as reasonable or normal is not a good thing. Things like this should never be the norm, nor acceptable.

A product that spends years in development should have a pretty hefty QA period as well. If it doesn't, and it comes out full of bugs, that's not something I would see as acceptable, especially after having plunked down $60 of my hard earned cash on something I expect to enjoy.

The fact that so many people are coming to accept these things as to-be-expected is a symptom of the overall problem: Publishers. Publishers essentially place caps on development time so that they save money, and in turn, maximize their profits. This can often mean that the product is less than complete when it is released, and that should not be acceptable to consumers. The fact that people keep pre-ordering games and buying products on release day only helps to reinforce the idea to publishers. They are continually reminded that not allowing development teams ample time is a good business decision.

If I bought a car, I wouldn't expect it to come without brakes, or for fuel injectors to explode. Of course, games don't pose a safety issue, and maybe that's part of the reason quality takes a back seat to profit. However, I remember a time when developers were allowed to take pride in their creations.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2010, 17:41.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II Saved Game Problem
3. Re: StarCraft II Saved Game Problem Jul 28, 2010, 16:47 ForgedReality

Wow. This game is full of all kinds of problems. This is why bargain bins exist.  

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Drivers
6. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers Jul 26, 2010, 18:18 ForgedReality

Rigs wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 17:38:
'No boom today. Boom tomorrow. Always a boom tomorrow...'

:D
Haha! You're awesome. I have the entire series on my hard drive. >_>

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 26, 2010, 16:49 ForgedReality

Stormsinger wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 00:03:
Yeah, cause if someone does something other than your way, they're obviously sick.

I can think of several cases where having many tabs open is a great help. Comparing features on mid-range video cards...looking up apartments to rent...shopping for a new car. Basically anything where you want to compare multiple options can easily lead to multiple tens of windows open.

And then there's the approach I find myself taking occasionally, I'll see an interesting link while running down a website or forum, so I open it in a background tab and leave it while I finish the article I'm reading. On some sites, I can easily wind up with a couple dozen linked articles to peruse. Bookmarks would work, but then you have to clean them up when you're done. I like the options tab candy seems to be offering.

But shoot me, apparently I'm sick.

You're entirely missing the point.

Obviously, you don't fall into the category of those who "need" Tab Candy. Multiple tabs are fine. But needing them for more than a short while is a little extremist. Are you going to leave 12 tabs of potential apartments open while you compare 10 tabs of video cards and 15 tabs of photos of flowers?

Most people would go about their business and finish what they were looking at before they opened another 38 tabs and started grouping them together to look at later. Seriously. If you have attention deficit disorder, that's one thing, but technology shouldn't be making it worse. No need to have 50 tabs open and ready to go for weeks at a time. That's what bookmarks are for. If you want to return to something later, return to it later. Don't have everything open all at once at all times. That's ridiculously inefficient.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 25, 2010, 22:44 ForgedReality

I saw the video for Tab Candy on videosift a couple days ago. Kind of meh if you ask me. Sure, I use tabs all the time. Sometimes a lot of them, but I'm never so ADHD that I have to have more than like 12 tabs. Seriously? Focus on one thing at once, you fucking freaks! Finish doing what you're doing in one of those older tabs before you go and open 19 more. Jesus. You need to group your dozens of tabs together? Maybe you should be taking medication for your inability to slow down and narrow your focus to one or two things at any given time.

I don't think it's something to brag about if 20 tabs isn't enough for you. Science should be studying your brain to figure out why it doesn't behave normally.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 25, 2010, 19:39 ForgedReality

Penis envy much? 48gb ram is overkill, and gskill is kind of on the lower end of quality.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 23, 2010, 21:45 ForgedReality

Ah, artist renderings of shitty products. Will you never get old?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 23, 2010, 21:41 ForgedReality

FUCK COMCAST.  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jul 23, 2010, 02:14 ForgedReality

*dead

In fact, that entire fucking site is screwed all up. It's like they're using the wrong stylesheet. I'd fix it for them if they paid me.

News Comments > Five Valve Games Patched
3. Re: Five Valve Games Patched Jul 22, 2010, 01:54 ForgedReality

the_culture wrote on Jul 22, 2010, 01:02:
Darn; I was hoping for a fix for Half-Life: Source. My weapons are still invisible!

Driver issue? Using custom commands/mods? Using multi-core rendering?

News Comments > Alice: Madness Returns Announced
11. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 20:50 ForgedReality

EA will surely ruin this console port.  

News Comments > BioWare: Console is "the Past"
2. Re: BioWare: Console is "the Past" Jul 15, 2010, 00:22 ForgedReality

I think the title of this news post is a little misleading.

I don't believe he meant "Consoles are the past," but rather, "in the past, we saw the future as on consoles." Consoles are still a major player, but they're really just a casual gamer's pathway into the hobby. There is more staying power on PC, since that's where all the advancements are made, and, in fact, that is where the games are made.

News Comments > Test Drive Unlimited 2 "Environment" Trailer
3. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Jul 14, 2010, 23:40 ForgedReality

Bumpy wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 17:23:
How about some actual gameplay showing physics, damage, HUD, menus, etc..

If it's anything like the previous game, there is no damage or physics to speak of.

This game is most likely going to be shit.

edit - After having watched the trailer... holy shit. This game is hideous. And without traffic, it's going to be just as empty, soulless, boring, and unfinished-feeling as the first one.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Patched
3. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Jul 11, 2010, 04:42 ForgedReality

frag.machine wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 23:19:
And I wish the game would be able to remember my last search filter, as used to be since always.
Yeah dude. Since at least the latest updates, it doesn't do this anymore. It used to, because I didn't used to have to keep filtering by under 100 ping and "has users playing." What the fuck did they break?!

I don't recall the bit about the favorites removal issue, but I guess I've never tried to remove a favorite, as I don't really use that tab all that much.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2010, 21:36 ForgedReality

Wolfen wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 14:44:
Man we could have really learned so much from Nikola Tesla. =(
...Didn't we?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 10, 2010, 01:55 ForgedReality

edit - oops  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 10, 2010, 01:54 ForgedReality

re: Google

Seriously? Why is everyone making a huge deal out of this? It's non-news. I mean, really, who cares if some unencrypted wireless networks are detected by Google. NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH THAT INFORMATION, ASIDE FROM IDLE OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE AND USE YOUR INTERNET FROM THEIR LAPTOP.

It feels like some people have some kind of agenda and stand to benefit somehow from blowing shit like this way out of proportion in an effort to sow fear and ignorance.

This is not some severe security issue. It's not as if someone stole your CC# and SSN. It's the names of unsecured wireless networks. Big fucking deal. Can we please stop talking about it now?

If Google was going to do anything with it, it probably relates to their plans for some new network rollout, and they might have wanted to know what areas would benefit most from it.

But seriously, even if you DO have an unsecured wireless network, nobody is going to hack into your computer with it. It's no more dangerous for Google to have collected the information than for your neighbors to see your wireless signal broadcasting. It's not like they BROKE INTO YOUR HOME and STOLE THE INFORMATION. It's broadcasting itself already. Chill the fuck out!

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Engineer Update Live
12. Re: Various Steam Patch confusion Jul 10, 2010, 01:40 ForgedReality

ViRGE wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 15:46:
jimnms wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 00:25:
ViRGE wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 23:41:
There seems to be a bug in the Steam client. It just made me download 3.1GB of data for the TF2 update.
Are you sure it actually downloaded that much? The download meter on mine (or whatever it's called) scared me when I saw it showing 8GB to be downloaded. I was relieved to see that it started at 7.5GB, so it's only downloading about 500MB.

Perhaps they're using the same algorithm Apple used to calculate the signal strength on the iPhone.
Yes, it actually downloaded that much. I was looking on the Steam Forums yesterday and apparently I wasn't the only person with the problem. Steam apparently decided a number of people needed to re-download TF2 assets they already had.

No it doesn't. It showed I needed to download around 8 gb, too. This was after I quit the client because the update started fucking up and pausing itself. I restarted Steam, and then the total size went from like 400mb or something (I don't actually remember what it was, just that it was a lot smaller) to that 8gb number, which I'm assuming is the total size of TF2 installed for some reason. It also started somewhat close to the end.

And there is NO WAY I could download 8gb of data in such a short amount of time.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 9, 2010, 23:38 ForgedReality

I wish I could get paid mad money to do nothing other than make baseless predictions and talk out my ass in favor of any product whose creators pay me enough to promote.

Damn, industry analysts must have the easiest jobs in the world.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Day Two Update
5. Re: Team Fortress 2 Day Two Update Jul 7, 2010, 09:35 ForgedReality

No offense, but how hard is it to figure out they're global? You see an announcement saying some dude got a wrench, you check the scoreboard to see what team the guy is in, but he's not even on the server... "Oh, I get it..."  

1178 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo