Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ForgedReality

Real Name ForgedReality   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ForgedReality
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 16, 2009, 20:41
Total Comments 1526 (Pro)
User ID 55267

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > New Condemned Game Possibilities Explored
6. Re: New Condemned Game Possibilities Explored Feb 2, 2015, 13:30 ForgedReality

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 12:45:
2 games is hardly a franchise. And I don't recall either one of them.

Holy shit how do you not remember Condemned: Criminal Origins? It was very unique for its day and stood out as a well done, refreshing style game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRq18fsCoYQ

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dying Light Mods Blocked
15. Re: Dying Light Mods Blocked Feb 2, 2015, 12:29 ForgedReality

Welp, this game is officially dead to PC gamers.

edit - had they actually done this intentionally... (I didn't read all the comments XD)

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 16:16 ForgedReality

I only wish the Steam version had offered the free game choices that Rockstar offered. Nobody wants to play San Andreas again.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M
16. Re: Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M Jan 28, 2015, 15:32 ForgedReality

So yeah. What's the stretch goal where this actually becomes a game? $986 billion?

See you all in Half-Life 3!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2015, 10:37 ForgedReality

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 20:38:
And don't gimme 4K or "future-proof". The current gen of GPUs are not really made for 4K gaming yet. We're barely at the point where a modern GPU can manage 1080p with all the bells and whistles, 1440p if you remove the whistles...

Really? I've been gaming at 2304x1440 for more than a decade, with all the "bells and whistles," and I'm still on a 580 which runs basically everything at max with excellent framerates. Barely to the point where we can do 1080p? Please. 1080p has been low resolution to me for fucking ever. Maybe newer games are less optimized or have higher system requirements, but don't pin that on the low-ass resolution we've been stuck at for a gazillion years.

News Comments > The Witcher III Video; Previews
8. Re: The Witcher III Video; Previews Jan 26, 2015, 19:23 ForgedReality

Pretty weak facial animations. Is everyone in this game made of stone or something?  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
15. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 25, 2015, 20:40 ForgedReality

Slick wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 20:35:
Fletch wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 18:42:
Comcast just doesn't want you dumping their cable TV for less-expensive internet streaming (although Comcast wasn't specifically mentioned in the article).

That said, I've been with Comcast for 12+ (?) years, and every time they've been able to raise my bandwidth, they have done so without raising my rate. Just 2-3 weeks ago, I was happy at 30Mbps. And then, one day, I was getting 60Mbps, and I usually get the full 7.5ish MBps when d/ling or streaming. When I first joined Comcast, I was lucky to get anywhere near the 5Mbps I was paying for. Comcast may be evil to the rest of the civilized world, but they've been the bee's knees for me.

i had them for 2 months, and the raised me from 25 to 50, then were going to raise it again to 105 a few months later, but i cut the cord to go with centurylink.

even when we get a great deal, i think the underlying issue is competition. that chart is crazy, 3 out of 4 americans don't have a choice in broadband provider. madness. monopolies/duo-polies whathaveyou aren't good for everyone.

even though there are some benefits, like getting free speed boosts, their practises put more people out of business, and don't serve where they're needed. Steam is a virtual monopoly on PC gaming (indy in particular) and their sales are great. however it comes at the cost of reduced competition, where an indy studio selling their own game through their own portal will be overlooked because it's "not on steam". i know this analogy isn't great, but it's a gamer forum, whatever.

That analogy is terrible, actually. There's nothing stopping some other company or group from creating their own games portal. Steam is just really fucking great at what it does, and it would take a lot for a competitor to offer real competition. Broadband is completely different. There are things stopping someone new from entering the fray. That's an actual monopoly.

12. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 25, 2015, 20:01 ForgedReality

Fletch wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 18:42:
Comcast just doesn't want you dumping their cable TV for less-expensive internet streaming (although Comcast wasn't specifically mentioned in the article).

That said, I've been with Comcast for 12+ (?) years, and every time they've been able to raise my bandwidth, they have done so without raising my rate. Just 2-3 weeks ago, I was happy at 30Mbps. And then, one day, I was getting 60Mbps, and I usually get the full 7.5ish MBps when d/ling or streaming. When I first joined Comcast, I was lucky to get anywhere near the 5Mbps I was paying for. Comcast may be evil to the rest of the civilized world, but they've been the bee's knees for me.

Yeah, my 50 just went up to 105 with no rate increase. I call that awesome, even if they don't have any competition.

I tried out CenturyLink DSL for like two weeks, parallel to my Comcast. It was dismal. They called it 40mbit but I didn't get that much, and it would have meant my cable modem and router would go to waste, since the DSL modem they provided had a router integrated. They fucked up my first bill, and then they had me down for double what they promised me on the new subscriber promo. I've never been fucked around with like that with Comcast. I was eager to cancel them.

11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 25, 2015, 19:58 ForgedReality

Rhett wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 17:48:
You can't even come close to streaming at 15Mbps, and it's what, 2015? I find that absolutely ridiculous.

You know what's even worse? I got a notice from Time-Warner in my last bill that they're raising prices again. Another $1/month for cable modem rental, even. Probably just gonna buy one at this point.

They keep raising prices for no good freakin' reason. Just because they can.

No idea why you wouldn't buy one straight away. It's pointless to rent their bullshit, low-end modems that can't even deliver what they promise.. And you're constantly PAYING them for that. A decent modem that is better than what they provide is what, fifty bucks? Maybe 100 for the top end. That's not a huge investment, considering you're going to be paying more than that every year just to rent one.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2015, 19:52 ForgedReality

I didn't want San Andreas (because it's old as fuck and I would not play it), so I ordered from Rockstar so I could pick a game. I don't give a shit about Steamworks that won't even really be integrated in the first place...  

News Comments > GeForce 960 Launched; New Dying Light GeForce Drivers
15. Re: GeForce 960 Launched; New Dying Light GeForce Drivers Jan 23, 2015, 15:18 ForgedReality

Fantaz wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 05:01:
why are they still making new 2GB cards?

My GTX 580 is fucktons older than the 960 and it's got 3gb. I'm still holding out for the next gen, goddammit. >:[

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 23, 2015, 15:15 ForgedReality

Meanwhile, ESPN is hiring...  

News Comments > Roberts: Star Citizen Will "Probably" Pass $100M; Release Schedule Expanded
60. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 16:29 ForgedReality

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 16:22:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 16:05:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 15:57:
Deathman29 wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 13:49:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 12:09:
Ok thanks for the feedback.
I may look into getting a new card but being so close to DX12 I may just wait a bit longer.
Other than AC I didn't notice any major frame rate issues in other games.

No problem.
I'd just wait for the next gen cards at very least. No need to do a minor jump up at this time with them just around the corner if not mistaken.

There is nothing (affordable or that makes sense) really "around the corner" at the moment. This year will be another pretty boring one because we're stuck on 28nm.
nVidia will release another very expensive Titan-like GPU based on GM200 in spring and later on probably a 980Ti based on the defective GM200s. Both are above the current GPUs so this will not change anything for the lower offerings. The only change re current GTX 970s and 980s is that both will probably be offered in 8GB VRAM variants some time later this year.
AMD is rumored to release a 380X/390X with HBM in Q2. Thanks to HBM and watercooling, this will probably be a prohibitively expensive GPU as well, competing either with the Titan GM200 or the 980Ti.

If anything truly new will be coming this year at all, then maybe at the very end of the year if GloFo manage to ship a new 14nm FinFET AMD GPU by then.
nVidia is sticking with TSMC, so there will definitely be no truly new GPUs this year, since according to TSMC, 16nm FinFET won't be ready before 2016.
If anyone is wondering what happened to 20nm, it's long been cancelled since TSMC was not able to offer the GPU makers a high powered 20nm process. The 20nm node is stuck at low power for mobile chips from Apple et al.
That may be true but if they release high end cards that will replace the current 980/290 series.
I am hoping that will lower the prices on current high end cards which will trickle down to the 970.
The Gigabyte 970 I am looking at getting is "on sale" for $430 here in Canada which is a bit too much.
If it would go for around $350 ~ $380 I'd probably pull the trigger.

Well, that won't happen at least not for nVidia. They only got GM200 and that will be the new Titan and maybe 980Ti. Why should they lower prices of the GTX 980 and 970 and ruin their precious margins if they only release parts way above those lower offerings? They won't. And there won't be anything to replace GTX 980 or 970 this year.

The only reason nVidia might adjust their pricing is if AMD's refresh lineup in spring (e.g. R9 370) shakes things up a bit but I think that's unlikely. Why should the financially struggling AMD shake up the market with some huge discounts? It's more likely AMD will price their parts only slightly lower than nVidia's current offerings.

And the high end R9 390X with HBM and watercooling... it'd be crazy by AMD if they would give it away. And why should they? If nVidia has a $999 to $1299 Titan, then AMD might as well join the fun if they have a GPU that performs as well or maybe even better.

Sticking with my entirely capable GTX580 until that happens. XD

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 21, 2015, 17:15 ForgedReality

Yeah, we've always known Seagate was fucking terrible. They got worse once they bought Maxtor and started using their assembly tech. I'll never buy a Seagate. Western Digital has always been my go-to. I've never had a single WD drive fail in 30+ years of building PCs.  

News Comments > John Romero Plays DOOM; Spills Beans
4. Re: John Romero Plays DOOM; Spills Beans Jan 21, 2015, 13:57 ForgedReality

Suckage wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 13:48:
It's a fun ride... but the verbal tics are driving me insane. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yep. Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yep yeah they sure are yep yeah yeah.

"Back in the day..." I'm so motherfucking sick and tired of hearing that phrase. Come up with something new, humanity. >:\

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisitions Patch to Fix Awkward Silences
22. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisitions Patch to Fix Awkward Silences Jan 20, 2015, 19:03 ForgedReality

Julio wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 17:43:
Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 12:08:
Maybe this time they'll actually bother to install it on a PC to see if it actually works?

There's no need, anything slapped in a box with DA on it sells. It worked for the second installment.

Call of Duty: Dragon Age

I can see it happening...

News Comments > Theme Hospital Free on Origin
2. Re: Theme Hospital Free on Origin Jan 20, 2015, 19:01 ForgedReality

Shame it's on Origin.

They should change their slogan (do they have one?) to "Origin. Not Even Once."

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2015, 18:53 ForgedReality

So much for the hilarious entertainment we get from making fun of all the idiots who believe an Onion article. XD  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2015, 02:58 ForgedReality

Fuck you, cabbies. Fewer of you shitty fucks on the streets would be a glorious day in America. All of you pricks drive like fucking shit, and cops don't mess with you for the most part. It's amazing most of you even have fucking licenses. You're starting to sound like Comcast. "We're the worst in the world, and we don't like competition, so let's shut everyone else down."  

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 14:25 ForgedReality

Theo wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 10:34:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 21:01:
I caved and pre-ordered GTA5, but not from Steam. I didn't want stupid San Andreas. I'm so glad I opted for L.A. Noire. Such an amazing game! How did I not play this before now?

Never did get the fuss, shuffling around the environment untill your pad buzzes is about the only way to play it ..... (./grin).

I haven't had any issues with kb+m... Most enjoyable game I've played in a while. But, of course, I'm a sucker for a good story/adventure. I used to love the old Sierra/LucasArts games.

1526 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo