Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ForgedReality

Real Name ForgedReality   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ForgedReality
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 16, 2009, 20:41
Total Comments 1183 (Pro)
User ID 55267

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Box Previews
12. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 15:08 ForgedReality

DangerDog wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:18:
Corsair Carbide Air 540, heck even my old Antec 280 case is chambered for the power supply and hard drives split from the motherboard / cpu / graphics card.
Maybe I read wrong, but it looks like the Steambox wants to separate everything so that it has its own separate airspace. The CPU and GPU generate a lot of heat, so it's a good idea to keep them separate at least. However, it can only get as cool as the surrounding air, so your comment about closing it up behind a glass door holds a lot of merit. I hope they're really up-front about how limited you'll be in terms of where you place the unit. I bet they'll need to plaster it with all kinds of disclaimers and stuff for the lesser technically-minded of us who are undoubtedly going to give this a shot.

SirKnight wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:56:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:09:
However, I've said it before: OpenGL just doesn't have the chops to compete with the likes of DirectX/Direct3D at this point. Hopefully this will bring the pressure required to finally bring OGL into the current gen.

That is so untrue it's not even funny. As a a graphics programmer of around 15 years now, I'm just baffled that someone could possibly think that with all the easy to find resources that's out there.
Yeah? I don't know about you, but I'll find it difficult to lose a majority of the DX11 and PhysX features by gaming on an OpenGL platform... Claiming that this won't be an issue is misguided at best.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 14:14 ForgedReality

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:10:
How about getting the client up to date first? Remove the bloat, streamline it, make it faster, an offline mode that works, etc.
It's not even using the Steam client; just the service. (But you're probably just suggesting they re-prioritize...)

What's bloated, non-streamlined, or slow about it though? None of those seem to apply to my experiences with it at all.

2. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 14:09 ForgedReality

nin wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:00:
but itís remarkably hard to find a case that does so while still making it easy to drop components in.

Wonder if they'll (or whoever's doing the actual hardware) sell upgrades as well?

What would be cool is if you could use your existing PC hardware or anything from the current hardware catalog and build your own. That was my initial impression hearing about this a while back. They made it sound like all the hardware was meant to be interchangeable, although that kind of thing may prove difficult given that it's running on Linux. nVidia has certainly been throwing their weight into more support for that platform lately though. All it needs is more support like that once hardware vendors start to see the potential.

However, I've said it before: OpenGL just doesn't have the chops to compete with the likes of DirectX/Direct3D at this point. Hopefully this will bring the pressure required to finally bring OGL into the current gen.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Love Gigabit Seattle? Nov 1, 2013, 12:45 ForgedReality

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 11:43:
Comcast donating to the campaign of a democrat wanting to keep from improving internet infrastructure? Oh the irony.

UPDATE: On Friday morning, Ars received the following e-mail from Sandeep Kaushik, who describes himself as a "consultant" to the Murray for Mayor campaign. We have reprinted it in full here:

The story in The Washington Post incorrectly implies that Ed Murray might not be supportive of citywide high speed broadband because Comcast has contributed to his campaign. As we made clear to the Post reporter yesterday, Ed does support the City's efforts to create a citywide high speed broadband network, and the speculation in the article that Ed might decide in the future not to support an expansion of the current City plan (to provide service in 14 neighborhoods) is simply wrong.

We've had several thousand contributions to this campaign over the last 11 months, but I've now had a chance to look up the Comcast donation. It was a donation to Ed's legislative race, originally made in August 2012. After Ed announced he was running for mayor in early December, the contribution was converted over (along with dozens of others) to the mayoral race account prior to a fundraising freeze (according to Washington State law, state officials can not raise money for any political campaign from 30 days before the start of a legislative session, until it ends) that went into effect on December 15.

As for why they gave, I can't speak for them. But I can say that there's no doubt that the current mayor's combative style and divisive approach to governance has alienated many, many people, and not just in the business community. It's a major reason why a majority of the City Council has endorsed Ed's campaign (something that hasn't happened in Seattle in at least 40 years), why businesses large and small have endorsed Ed, why 22 labor unions have endorsed (far more labor support than the mayor has received), why Washington Conservation Voters have endorsed, why Planned Parenthood Votes has endorsed, and why the three main mayoral candidates knocked out in the primary have all endorsed Ed and support his campaign.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
43. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 16:40 ForgedReality

Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 16:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 15:55:
Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:55:
Heck, I haven't even listened to an mp3 in years.

Making it sound like that is common. What are people using these days for music? I thought is was nearly al MP3/Digital formats.

Spotify.
It has about 90% of what I want, for free.
And if you ever listened on a quality set of speakers, you would find that it sounds like absolute shit and isn't at all worth it when local, high-quality encodings would easily blow it away in terms of audio quality and ease of use.

Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:01:
> Loaded scenario
> Ironically incorrect
> A ForgedReality Post

Calling people on Bluesnews casual is also pretty amusing.
Hilarious how you provide nothing to back up your statements, and yet the facts laugh in your face at how wrong you are. 5400 rpm doesn't cut it. Sorry.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
24. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 12:55 ForgedReality

> "Next-gen"
> Slow, low-end hardware
> No games that look as good as PC games from a couple of years ago.

Have fun casual consolers!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 02:19 ForgedReality

Fantaz wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 19:45:
I think the PS4 not being able to connect to external storage devices is to combat piracy.

Who cares what their reason is. This is supposed to be "next gen". So far, the only thing next gen I see is the PC. But then, consoles are for casual gamers anyway.

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2013, 14:43 ForgedReality

BobBob wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 14:09:
I would guess an older actor that returns to the screen (game, commercials, TV, online, film) is either in debt, has too much property tax, or didn't invest money properly.

Or maybe they just enjoy what they do, Debbie Downer. Nah, couldn't be that...

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2013, 12:28 ForgedReality

Never played the game, but I've been watching through the entire Deep Space Nine on Netflix lately. I'd forgotten how great of a show that was, and how hugely underrated it was--even from me when it first came out. I remember watching the first episode as a kid and having mixed feelings about it. I never saw the whole series, and I didn't remember many of the episodes, but rewatching it now, I can finally start to see its depth and quality of storyline. I think it's probably the first show in the franchise that actually had a continual storyline, and not just a collection of random episodes that could have been mixed around in any order and it wouldn't have mattered. It's almost up to--dare I say--Babylon 5 level. (But we all know nothing beats that show.)  

News Comments > Need for Speed Rivals Trailer
1. Re: Need for Speed Rivals Trailer Oct 30, 2013, 11:02 ForgedReality

I hate how this stupid shit glorifies driving fast as if it's some kind of underground movement to topple governments or something. Think about it. It's just a bunch of guys who decided to go drive fast one day. They're not superheroes and the cars aren't robots. It's a bunch of guys who left their house one day and went driving. At the end of the day, they go home, park the car, and go watch TV before going to bed. It's not some indignant band of warriors against the system. Stop pretending like there's some kind of overarching glory to live up to--it's just street racing. XD

Also, the last good Need For Speed was Porsche Unleashed, and High Stakes before that. Every one after has been some bullshit arcade garbage with stupid physics. I guarantee this one is just more of the same, no matter how much they try to candy-coat a nice, shiny trailer.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 29, 2013, 01:52 ForgedReality

Cmon nVidia. The 700 series is old as fuck. We want the 880. Hurry the fuck up! I'm impatiently waiting to upgrade from my GTX580, and there's no way in hell I'm buying a 780 this late in the game. The new platform is going to be a huge step up from the 700 series, so let's just get on with it and stop massaging this old-ass tech. >:\  

News Comments > Red Baron Remake Kickstarter
18. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 20:50 ForgedReality

Dude! I loved that game! I played so many hours of it. I still have the box and disks, in almost pristine condition.  

News Comments > TotalBiscuit's Day One Garry's Incident Review Returns
6. Re: TotalBiscuit's Day One Garry's Incident Review Returns Oct 21, 2013, 18:08 ForgedReality

Don't post a bad review of our products! HOW DARE YOU!? Our products are INFALLIBLE AND PERFECT! Take that shit down right now!

Sup, lawyer? Oh, we're not allowed to do that? FUCK!

My bad. Go ahead and put it back up. =3 Oh by the way, if you'd still just pretty please buy our game, that would be fantastic.

News Comments > Cyan Kickstarting Obduction
3. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Obduction Oct 17, 2013, 12:55 ForgedReality

Too bad it uses Unreal Engine.  

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
44. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 10:00 ForgedReality

Pigeon wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 09:17:
I expect the console makers to react to this, specially if it becomes popular. Bringing it to Steam makes more mainstream, which means more people downloading illegal ROMs. Now if the big console companies were smart they'd sell their own digital copies to be played on the emulators. $5 a game for something they created 15+ years ago = easy revenue. Adding some light DRM via Steam would probably take very little effort.

This will never work. These decades-old games probably still have licensing clauses attached to them, and the "console makers" don't own those rights.

Those who developed/distributed the game likely won't want to have their products played in a less-than-ideal situation. Playing games through emulation has its own inherent issues that would represent a less refined experience that the license holders probably wouldn't be okay with because it makes them and their product look bad.

This is to say nothing of support issues that would crop up when users encounter problems and then expect someone to be there to help them because they bought the game.

This is a niche market, and most people won't even bother with it. Certainly not enough to really be profitable, even if they somehow managed to overcome the problems I outlined above. Licensing/support/additional overhead--all of these things cost money.

Nope. Never going to happen. Ever.

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
43. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 09:55 ForgedReality

Lululul. Gamer nerds acting like they're knowledgeable lawyers ITT. XD

Oh, internets. You're so silly!

News Comments > SOMA Revealed; Gameplay Trailer
6. Re: SOMA Revealed; Gameplay Trailer Oct 12, 2013, 02:51 ForgedReality

And this is what they're calling "next gen?" *YAWWN!!*  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Rumor
27. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Rumor Oct 12, 2013, 02:02 ForgedReality

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 07:13:
I wouldn't mind if Halloween were to disappear entirely

Imagine how much less fat America would be if Halloween didn't exist...

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 12, 2013, 02:00 ForgedReality

jdreyer wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 01:38:
It's like Minority Report.

Oh jeez, calm down. You have to opt-in. The setting is off by default.

News Comments > Infinite Crisis Trailer
1. Re: Infinite Crisis Trailer Oct 10, 2013, 11:39 ForgedReality

Looks like absolute crap.  

1183 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo