Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ForgedReality

Real Name ForgedReality   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ForgedReality
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 16, 2009, 20:41
Total Comments 1520 (Pro)
User ID 55267

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue Launch Trailer
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Launch Trailer Mar 9, 2015, 19:58 ForgedReality

Looks like console-poop.

Also, what the fuck is up with the goose down flying everywhere? Christ that would get annoying quick.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 14:58 ForgedReality

That tap concept will work for maybe 6 months at the most, and it won't be that nice while it does work. It won't take long before the "turbines" stop spinning due to gunk from the pipes (bits of metal included) and algae build up. Leading up to their eventual failure, they will start rotating more and more slowly and less consistently. While they work, the water isn't going to do quite what these 3d renders depict. The water will glob together and not stay "pretty" for more than a couple of inches or so, and that's stretching it. Interesting idea, but it's ignoring some pretty basic physics concepts.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video
7. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video Mar 7, 2015, 17:13 ForgedReality

Oh well. Now I'm kind of glad the collector's edition is sold out everywhere. Pass. I'll be busy playing GTA5 soon anyway. Maybe I'll pick this up in a $5 sale or something.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic
1. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic Mar 6, 2015, 13:45 ForgedReality

I love how they don't show the water not reacting at all when he steps/falls into it. I also like how someone at Epic clearly doesn't understand how kites work. At all. XD  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 5, 2015, 20:46 ForgedReality

vacs wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 16:09:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 15:03:
You've not heard anything about the controllers it comes with right? Or maybe they're optional, but whatever. I bet that would go a long way toward solving the second type. If your hands are moving, and you see them moving in-game, it's going to help you feel a lot more connected to the visuals. I don't think it's that far-fetched.

The problem cannot possibly be solved with any visual aid.
The vestibular system feels if your body is accelerating, decelerating or standing still. If your position doesn't change but your visual organ sees you moving, your brain gets confused and some people will get motion sick, irregardless of what visual aids or other tricks the googles play on you.

The issue is the contradicting information your brain gets, not the lack of realism of the graphics!

The lag problem can be fixed or at least greatly reduced by increasing the VR helmet's response time, I believe Valve is at least on the right track with this part of motion sickness inducing.

And there is actually a third kind of motion sickness, which again has mostly has been solved with OR and probably Valve's solution: A minor group of people simply cannot get used to this forced 3D viewing, the convergence of the 3D image as also the forced focus doesn't fit everyone... but at least this can be solved purely by optimizing the software and the visuals.

Irregardless isn't a word, and I think you meant "goggles."

I think part of the thing with the Vive is that you are moving. That would alleviate some of the effect, perhaps enough to make dizziness a non-issue.

Regardless, we are talking about an unreleased product with no firsthand experience. Let's hold off on the nonsensical speculation, shall we?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 5, 2015, 15:03 ForgedReality

NKD wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 13:26:
loomy wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 11:45:
the only definite here is that you two goons definitely don't know if this is BS or not

I don't think it's too outrageous to say that a claim that 0% of people will get motion sickness while using SteamVR is BS. It's technically and medically impossible for that to be true. Some people are very prone to motion sickness, even using normal monitors, to say nothing of motion tracking VR. Sell thousands of units and you will get at least 1 person who got motion sickness while using it, making it a non-zero value.

Now, Gaben might have intended to say something else, but his claim as quoted is bullshit, plain and simple.

It's not BS if it really does have a 0% motion sickness rate THUS FAR. That's all it says. Nobody has gotten motion sickness from using it yet. That doesn't say that nobody ever will, but it's still a huge step in the right direction.

vacs wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 12:33:
loomy wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 11:45:
NKD wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 10:54:
LurkerLito wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 10:13:
Newell: SteamVR headset has 0% motion sickness rate.
I call BS.

Yeah, definitely BS.

the only definite here is that you two goons definitely don't know if this is BS or not

No, they are right. There are two different type of VR motion sickness people: Those who get affected because there is slight lag between the movement of your head and the corresponding image showing up and those who get motion sick because they watch a video of the whole body moving around but in reality they are standing still (or sitting).

There is quite a lot info on this from the Oculus Rift people.

Whatever improvements Steam VR googles have included, they can only get rid of the first type of motion sickness, never the second.

In that respect, Newell's statement is pure marketing (and quite a bit of BS)

You've not heard anything about the controllers it comes with right? Or maybe they're optional, but whatever. I bet that would go a long way toward solving the second type. If your hands are moving, and you see them moving in-game, it's going to help you feel a lot more connected to the visuals. I don't think it's that far-fetched.

News Comments > TITAN X GPU Unveiled
3. Re: TITAN X GPU Unveiled Mar 4, 2015, 19:10 ForgedReality

How long after the last Titan did the 780ti appear? I think this bodes well for those of us who aren't trust fund kids.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced
20. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced Mar 4, 2015, 17:23 ForgedReality

SirKnight wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 16:49:
Razumen wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 16:27:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 14:34:
Also, I'm hearing that fucking Wilhelm scream sound effect more and more in movies, tv shows, and games these days. The other one I hear all the time is the stereotypical prison door squeak. Fucking annoying. It's not funny anymore, you guys. Stop it.

That and that generic sound effect that is invariably used for doors opening/closing in science fiction shows-argh.

I think that sound was also what DOOM used for doors, or at least very similar. I remember watching some scifi movie once (don't remember what it was called) and when doors were opening and closing I was like WTF that's DOOM sounds!

DOOM used a lot of stock audio effects. The zombie soldier sounds, imp sounds, etc. I still hear those every so often in zombie/horror shows/movies. It's kind of comical, but only because I know where I first heard them, and they're not nearly as pervasive as the Wilhelm Scream and prison door sounds.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage
19. Re: The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage Mar 4, 2015, 16:55 ForgedReality

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 15:54:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 14:58:
What you end up with is a sequence of quests to make the game feel more reactionary, but then to try and make it feel fuller, they put in optional side-quests, which often feel like just what they are--last minute additions. Is there a middle-ground between "do whatever the eff you want" and "when you do this, the game feels the impact"?

The problem I've always had with CRPGs - even the ones I love - is how static the world is. I'd dearly love to see one that unfolds around you, and if you choose not to participate some of them, at least, will pass you by. With games like ED there isn't enough structure. There's no hook to engage you. You should be able to overhear a conversation in a spaceport bar that starts you on a quest, or find or buy some smuggled data that gives you the opportunity to pursue a quest organically.

As much as people bitch about quests with time limits I always found it absurd that I could go off and do whatever I want for as long as I want and come pack to said quest and pick up like it was frozen in time just for me. I always find that jarring. I'd love to come back and see the townsfolk say, 'Oh you blew it, man. Some other adventurers came through, saved our bacon and got the reward so we don't need you anymore.' Or the town got wiped out or what have you.

I want to be able to not always win. I'd like some setbacks and let downs. I'd like to be considered a pariah because I told the villagers I'd save them and failed to do so. Winning is a lot sweeter after you've failed a number of times.

Yeah I've felt that before too. But then you're getting into a certain level of gameplay difficulty that would turn a lot of people off to it. What happens if you take on too many tasks at once, or accidentally get one assigned to you, and you've not enough time to do everything? What if you go play another game for a couple months and then come back to this one, forgetting that you were in the middle of something important, and then fail it without really knowing, or you have to re-learn certain things about the gameplay mechanics? I've had that happen to me with DA:O, Skyrim, The Witcher 2...

I get what you're saying, but you can't please everyone at once. One of the things I really fucking HATE about some games is the ultimatums you're given. Do this one, but then you CAN'T do this one, or something really bad happens either choice you make. That fucking annoys me no end because it's a GAME, not real life. Even in real life, you don't get those kinds of absolutes very often, if at all. It's like, jesus christ, are you actually trying to spoil the fun factor for me here?

Also, I'm a completionist, so the inability to do everything kind of gets to me sometimes. If there's a quest I leave behind only to discover I'd done so later down the road, too late to do anything about it, I'm like "fuck man! This is bullshit!" It's caused me to reload to many hours earlier in the game to just do those tasks on occasion, so the fact that I only have a certain amount of time to do something before I fail it could make the game feel more grind-y than necessary, I think, especially with random encounters and shit everywhere. If I want to reload to earlier, I'd hate to think how many times I'd have to retry quests because I ran out of time, and it would force me to rush through too much, and I feel like I'd miss out on a lot of the experience of the game because I'm always worried about this ticking motherfucking timebomb on my shoulder all the time.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but I want to play a game, not be frustrated by it. That kind of shit makes me put a game away and not feel like going back to it later. Maybe it could be done right, but it's a delicate balance to walk, I think.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2015, 16:38 ForgedReality

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 16:12:
Half Life 3 confirmed?

Motoring Crunch then wrote, "For those who are unaware of the havoc that is going on, Steam was updated yesterday and it saw the addition of App 323900. The amazing part is with the fact that App 33900 came out with Half Life 3's logo."

Gabe Newellolololol, Master Trolloololol

Edit - Wait... You're quoting kdramastars... HA! That site may as well be the motherfucking Onion Tech Network. XD

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2015, 16:58.

14. Re: The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage Mar 4, 2015, 14:58 ForgedReality

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 14:26:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 13:30:
I don't know. I'm a little less impressed now. I wanted to jump on the Collector's Edition, but seeing as it's all sold out and may not even be back in stock ever, plus this video is kind of... meh... Wait and see.

Plus it doesn't have salamanders.

Heh, the problem with these games of this size and scope is they all end up being repetitive PDQ. What's a Witcher's job anyway? To fight monsters. So yeah, that just becomes a grind after a while. And most of the side quests just end up as filler like in Skyrim, Inquisition. I think that's why I prefer my CRPGs to have a smaller footprint and tighter focus.

Obligatory: http://i.imgur.com/5zOsAM3.png

All I know is (and I know you hate to hear it) I'm counting down the days until April 14. That's my kind of RPG.

Like you say, RPGs these days are kind of becoming a bit of a chore. They're not focusing enough on the fun, and though they purport to promote an open-world experience where you do what you want when you want, they take every opportunity to funnel you into a linear set of steps. Do this, do that, do this other thing, and the story progresses, but then you can't go back and do this other thing you'd been meaning to figure out but couldn't quite get to just yet...

I think that's part of the reason games like Elite: Dangerous attract fans. It's not really much of a "game" by certain definitions, but it also doesn't rope you into a sequence of actions you must take, so that's part of its appeal, as gamers get more and more burnt out on this story driven formula with a falsified premise of "do whatever the eff you want," but then, how could you work in a story? It's also especially difficult to make it seem like your actions are really having an impact without sequenced reactions by the game world.

What you end up with is a sequence of quests to make the game feel more reactionary, but then to try and make it feel fuller, they put in optional side-quests, which often feel like just what they are--last minute additions. Is there a middle-ground between "do whatever the eff you want" and "when you do this, the game feels the impact"?

5. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced Mar 4, 2015, 14:34 ForgedReality

Also, I'm hearing that fucking Wilhelm scream sound effect more and more in movies, tv shows, and games these days. The other one I hear all the time is the stereotypical prison door squeak. Fucking annoying. It's not funny anymore, you guys. Stop it.  

4. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced Mar 4, 2015, 14:26 ForgedReality

nin wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 14:20:
<Checks for Machine Games logo at the end>

YES!

Buuut... It said it two seconds in...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2015, 14:23 ForgedReality

I had spiders living in one of my smoke detectors, and when one went off, they all went off since they're wired together. No idea which one was triggering it, but I opened them up and vacuumed them out, and haven't had a problem since.  

12. Re: The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage Mar 4, 2015, 13:30 ForgedReality

I don't know. I'm a little less impressed now. I wanted to jump on the Collector's Edition, but seeing as it's all sold out and may not even be back in stock ever, plus this video is kind of... meh... Wait and see.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 3, 2015, 12:21 ForgedReality

Yay!  

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced
8. Re: Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced Mar 2, 2015, 10:46 ForgedReality

Ah, there's the cash-grab EA we all know and love.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 2, 2015, 10:43 ForgedReality

No removable battery or SD card slot makes the S6 a no go for me. The Note 4 is still the best phone on the market.  

News Comments > how do you Do It?
13. Re: how do you Do It? Feb 28, 2015, 19:18 ForgedReality

lulz @ the comments on the Steam page.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 28, 2015, 02:35 ForgedReality

Colorblind?  

1520 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo