Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ken Matlock

Real Name Ken Matlock   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krael
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 16, 2009, 16:38
Total Comments 25 (Suspect)
User ID 55264

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > C&C: Online is Online
8. Re: Op Ed Jul 7, 2014, 08:16 Krael

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Jul 6, 2014, 22:19:
Businesses are in it to make money, but since you guys think it is so easy, donate for a year's worth of service! Oh wait, that takes money (gasp)!

While I agree that server/bandwidth/etc take money to run, I disagree with *why*.

Back in the day you bought a game and were given a server (dedicated) option (executable or command-line switch) to run your own servers, and foot the bill for hosting yourself. You'd either have a master server which all the servers registered to in order to find player-hosted, or you had to know the IP or hostname of it. You also were given free reign to modify ('mod') the game; different weapons, different maps, etc.

Those days are all gone because of *greed* by the dev studios or producers. Once companies figured out they can charge for DLC, any incentive they had at all to allow modding and player-run servers went out the window.

As a side-effect of that it forced them to run their own servers. This has a real-world cost to it (as you said), and puts dual pressure on them to shutter it as soon as they think they can. One pressure is to get rid of those costs, the other is to 'encourage' people to buy the next iteration of their game (with slightly reskinned models).

We as consumers also share some of the blame because we're letting it happen. As consumers as a whole (not anyone in particular) we're responsible for it because we don't push back and demand the things we used to enjoy.

</rant_off>

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
45. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 11, 2014, 08:19 Krael

Yeah, honestly when Elite:Dangerous and Star Citizen were both announced I was full convinced that Elite:Dangerous would be vaporware and Star Citizen would be moving forward at a fast pace.

Now it seems like the exact opposite is true. I'm super-excited about Elite:Dangerous, and a big 'meh' for Star Citizen.

News Comments > Interplanetary Alpha
4. Re: Interplanetary Alpha Dec 3, 2013, 10:46 Krael

And apparently I'm old enough to not remember to refresh before posting  

News Comments > Interplanetary Alpha
3. Re: Interplanetary Alpha Dec 3, 2013, 10:45 Krael

Apparently you're young enough to not have had the pleasure of "Scorched Earth"  

News Comments > Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges
20. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 12:26 Krael

Creston wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 12:20:
EA bought the Homeworld IP and is going to turn it into a 3rd person shooter with QTE Microtransactions.

Creston

Ha! New revenue stream! Microtransactions to bypass the QTE's. Microtransactions to bypass the advertisements for x seconds, etc....

News Comments > "Most Challenging Game Ever" Kickstarter
14. Dwarf Fortress? Apr 17, 2013, 20:03 Krael

More challenging than Dwarf Fortress? I think not!  

News Comments > GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter
13. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 08:54 Krael

Keep in mind that backing this kickstarter gives you a small amount of art assets, and a few templates.

Doesn't mention how much art, if it can be used commercially, and even if it's of a good enough quality (and quantity) to use for a project.

I just don't see anything here that screams out half a million dollars.... Cheaper to just KS some sort of 'co-op' for assets and use one of the many pre-existing engines out there, but that's just me. I just don't see the market for indie devs that are looking for something like this to even come close to meeting the funding goal.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Dec 10, 2012, 16:54 Krael

Creston wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 14:27:
I'd be slightly worried about that, if I was you.

Creston

Oh believe me, I am worried about that! I can remember stuff like that, but have a HORRIBLE time with names and faces. Go figure.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Dec 10, 2012, 14:11 Krael

AT&F&C1&D2&K3S0=0
ATDT<number>

*sigh* it's been 18 years since I did dialup tech support, and that's *still* stuck in my head!

News Comments > PlanetWar Closed Beta
3. Re: PlanetWar Closed Beta Aug 10, 2011, 23:17 Krael

Upper-right image is the Space Station from Star Wars: Phantom Menace

Lower-Left is a Starfury from Babylon 5....

Nope, no copyright problems there!

And of course, it's a Chinese company.....

News Comments > Steam Trading Beta
15. Re: Steam Trading Beta Aug 10, 2011, 12:21 Krael

Ahh, hadn't delved too deep into the gifts

If that's the case, then that's awesome!

News Comments > Steam Trading Beta
13. Re: Steam Trading Beta Aug 10, 2011, 11:44 Krael

The way I'm reading this, is not for trading the games themselves, but the ITEMS within said games...  

News Comments > Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend
40. Re: Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend Jul 11, 2011, 12:33 Krael

V-G-S!

How important would graphics be in a remake of Tribes? Could Tribes 2 era graphics (early 2000's) work these days? Would good gameplay overcome 'dated' graphics?

News Comments > Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend
37. Re: Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend Jul 11, 2011, 10:13 Krael

There's probably a better place to ask this, but what exactly made Tribes 1 so much fun? I played the heck out of it back in the day, and still have a soft spot for it. I just can't quite put my finger on exactly *why* I loved it  

News Comments > WRC 2 Revealed
1. Re: WRC 2 Revealed Jun 20, 2011, 13:02 Krael

See, this is why I hate marketing people

"25 different terrain and weather combinations"

So 5 different terrains, and 5 different types of weather.... Is that REALLY that great an accomplishment?

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Announced
8. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Announced Jun 1, 2011, 10:39 Krael

Yeah, I LOVED Carma1 and Carma2.

Carma 3 was nice and all, but the physics were 'off'

Was still an entertaining game, just.....

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Announced
5. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Announced Jun 1, 2011, 10:29 Krael

Prez wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 10:14:
DSCLAIMER: I don not condone running over babies, prego women, men and animals in real life. Kids are okay though.

Yes, but what about prego kids? Are those ok?

News Comments > Gas Guzzlers Announced
7. Re: Gas Guzzlers Announced Apr 26, 2011, 15:47 Krael

While I can't speak for some of them, I have to ask about #5.

If you want people to spend time in an MMO, don't you really need to give them something to strive for? The 'new shiny' is the carrot to keep you going, but without that what 'incentive' is there for people to pay a monthly fee for?

If you make the new shiny a lot more powerful, then you're raising the power level in general. Doing that isn't really sustainable in the long run, in my opinion (but I'm probably, and frequently) wrong!

I think it's just the nature of MMO's. Keep the carrot there JUST out of reach, to keep people paying monthly fees.

Interstate 76 is a poor example since it was at it's heart a FPS. Did it even have any sort of persistence?

(Now, don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE a Carmageddon/Interstate 76 update, even in MMO format!)

News Comments > Gas Guzzlers Announced
5. Re: Gas Guzzlers Announced Apr 26, 2011, 09:54 Krael

Like Auto Assault?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Assault

I don't know exactly why it didn't succeed, but it was tried

Krael

News Comments > SOE Cuts Rumored
6. Re: SOE Cuts Rumored Mar 31, 2011, 13:11 Krael

Yeah, that was in poor taste on my end

It sucks right now, but I'm pretty sure they'll all bounce back and find a better place to work, or go the Indie route and work for themselves or a small shop!

25 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo