Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Horace

Real Name Horace   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pankin
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2009, 07:09
Total Comments 319 (Amateur)
User ID 55260

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Minecraft Interview
4. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 29, 2012, 17:28 Pankin

Cutter wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 17:18:
Most certainly everyone does not like it. Infact many people hate it and Notch!

I've never played it myself so I can't say whether I hate it or not(ch).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC Orbitron: Revolution Announced
3. Re: PC Orbitron: Revolution Announced Jan 27, 2012, 23:38 Pankin

Finally, the PC game about Roy Orbison we've all been waiting for!

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - SOL: Exodus
14. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - SOL: Exodus Jan 26, 2012, 07:58 Pankin

Shit outta luck.  

News Comments > QuakeCon 2012 Dates
4. Re: QuakeCon 2012 Dates Jan 24, 2012, 23:51 Pankin

Hey, I remember Love & Rockets, a more than decent band. Express is a great record.  

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
132. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 16, 2012, 08:11 Pankin

venomhed wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 21:25:
In defense of Dev:

"Wait. So, selling less means it's a better idea for shareholders?"

YES, actually! Why? Here is an example in the music industry. Metallica's "black album" when it was released was their highest selling album of all time. The next album, Load, was one of their worst. Many people regarded the Black Album as the turning point where Metallica "jumped the shark" and they have never come back from that.

What does this mean? It means that many times people will impulsively buy something based on their last experience with a similar product/brand. If AC/DC released a Jazz Fusion album, but simply called it AC/DC Kick Your Ass you would think it is going to be some more great rock n roll. Since you got "burned", assuming you didn't like the last album, going forward you would either never trust them again or just stop listening to them.

So selling less, now, in order to take a longer more solid approach over time is sometimes preferable.

What's this about a jazz fusion release by AC/DC? I'm all over that shit!

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
74. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 18:56 Pankin

I'm in the minority here but, here goes...

I don't care about any Mass Effect game. It does not affect my life in any way so this news means nothing to me. They can sell it on punchcards for all I care.

That is all.

News Comments > Steam Group Seeks Communication
6. Re: Steam Group Seeks Communication Jan 11, 2012, 23:54 Pankin

Wow, what a totally superfluous message.

Thing is, Valve loses no matter what they do. 1) Respond with X and face wrath for responding with X. 2) Do not respond and face wrath for not responding.

News Comments > Layoffs at id Software
74. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 19:36 Pankin

Kajetan wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 07:22:
Pankin wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 07:12:
Do we know for certain that Rage tanked sales-wise?
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/25458/rage/

Ten weeks after release, 1.15 mio. 360, 0.8 mio. PS3, 0.2 mio PC (only retail, no Steam and other digital numbers), perhaps 3 Mio. units all together?

Not a failure, but nothing to write home about for a multiplattform release either. I guess Beth was expecting MUCH more.

See now, THIS is the way to respond to a query. With a link. Thanks, Kaj.

News Comments > Layoffs at id Software
46. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 07:12 Pankin

Do we know for certain that Rage tanked sales-wise? I'm not being douchey, I'm wondering if there's any better way to check such a thing other than going by your gut feeling. The PC port was totally effed and they walked away from it's release bloodied, no doubt about it but I suspect the console sales were strong-ish.

I just hope they've learned their lesson about getting their shit together before their next multi-platform launch.

News Comments > Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights
9. Re: Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights Jan 9, 2012, 20:11 Pankin

Unfair! Where's Bethesda supposed to come up with $2 million?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 2, 2012, 12:46 Pankin

Out of curiosity, I loaded up all the Steam Top 10s since Skyrim has been on it...

Sep 18, Skyrim was #8
Sep 25, n/a
Oct 02, n/a
Oct 09, n/a
Oct 16, n/a
Oct 23, Skyrim was #7
Oct 30, Skyrim was #2
Nov 06, Skyrim was #1
Nov 13, Skyrim was #1
Nov 20, Skyrim was #1
Nov 27, Skyrim was #1
Dec 04, Skyrim was #1
Dec 11, Skyrim was #1
Dec 18, Skyrim was #1
Dec 25, Skyrim was #1
Jan 02, Skyrim was #1

This game's ascent is truly remarkable but it's #1 position can't last for much longer. And what's up with the 4-week gap?

News Comments > Enhanced Skyrim UI
57. Re: Enhanced Skyrim UI Dec 20, 2011, 08:10 Pankin

Normally, at this point, I'd abandon such an exchange in favor of doing, well, anything else. But I wish to make it clear that SV and I are not defending Skyrim's UI. Come to think of it, I shouldn't speak for StingingVelvet, so I won't. I'm not arguing in defense of the stock UI because it's indefensible. You can safely bet I'll be trying all these UI mods to replace the terrible stock UI.

What I AM saying, however, is that you cannot wave a wand and turn a subjective opinion into an objective fact just because you feel strongly about those opinions. I'm truly sorry but you can't. Again, it doesn't matter how strongly you feel that the points you've made are facts. They're not. They're opinions. I even agree with all of them. How's that for the equivalent of walking and chewing gum at the same time?

Yes, I agree with your points but that does not make them facts. Most players of Skyrim probably agree with you. They're still not facts.

Here's a question for you: why do you feel as though your expressions must be that of objective fact? Probably at some point, someone told you that objective facts are "better" than opinions. They're actually not, but that's getting into far too much subtlety and nuance for a Blues News forum. Plus, no one's going to read this because I waited too long to post. But anyway...please don't feel like you can't express opinions and label them as such. No one's going to think less of you for it, I promise. You're actually a pretty persuasive writer already.

But what you're experiencing is the youthful conviction without all the wisdom that comes with age and experience; wisdom that, among many many many other things, provides for an understanding of the difference between subjectivity and objectivity. And the experience to know that they're not opposites.

Sorry I insulted you earlier (the shortbus crack) but I lost my temper. Have a great day and Happy Holidays!

51. Re: Enhanced Skyrim UI Dec 19, 2011, 20:04 Pankin

Jerykk wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 12:26:
So I have to ask: do you know what the words subjective and objective mean? These words each have a specific meaning that you can't simply ignore and expect to be taken seriously.

Can you actually refute any of the specific examples I presented? Until you do, you can't expect to be taken seriously.

The very fact I disagree with you makes your statement incorrect.

See above response. I can disagree that the world is round but that doesn't somehow nullify the fact that the world is indeed round.

I rest my case.

39. Re: Enhanced Skyrim UI Dec 19, 2011, 07:26 Pankin

Jerykk wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 03:15:
Hey look, you made a subjective statement sound like a fact.

It's not really subjective at all. When designing menus that players will need to navigate on a regular basis, you want to ensure that navigation is as quick and efficient as possible. This is objectively not the case for Skyrim's UI. Every menu involves redundant scrolling. There's no reason why a map should require scrolling. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to see all my skills and perks without scrolling. There's no reason why I should have to spend more than 10 seconds scrolling through my potions, ingredients, books, etc. There's no reason why, given the amount of scrolling required to navigate these menus, there is no scroll bar or PgUp/PgDn/Home/End support, or the ability to sort by name, value, weight, damage, etc. There's no reason why I should have to mark an item as a favorite before I can assign it a hotkey. There's no reason why I should be limited to 8 hotkeys when my keyboard has 10 number keys.

Skyrim's UI is objectively lousy.

So I have to ask: do you know what the words subjective and objective mean? These words each have a specific meaning that you can't simply ignore and expect to be taken seriously.

It's perfectly ok if you don't like Skyrim's UI. You're not alone, lad. But to assign your subjective dissatisfaction to that of an objective fact is delusional.

You have hereby forfeited your place among the intelligent. Now, please watch your step as you get on the shortbus. Here's your lunchbox, play nice with the other kids.

17. Re: Enhanced Skyrim UI Dec 18, 2011, 17:31 Pankin

yuastnav wrote on Dec 18, 2011, 14:32:
Pankin wrote on Dec 18, 2011, 13:52:
There's another UI mod called QD Inventory that features a sortable column of value-to-weight ratio. Doing that little bit of math is actually quite useful and I'd like to see it in SkyUI too.

Also, SkyUI only changed the inventory UI. Chests and NPC trading UIs haven't been touched as yet.

And for the record: Morrowind's drag & drop interface was not as useful as the Darnified Oblivion UI. You couldn't sort your Morrowind inventory by value or weight...so let's just stop being 100% ridiculous, m-kay?

I will take Morrowind's UI over Oblivion's any day, thank you very much.

You're quite welcome. If you're willing to wait that is. The mods that appear first are the ones most in demand and no one's asking for a drag & drop interface a la Morrowind.

Now, I'm not saying it'll never happen because it surely will. Oblivion has a Morrowind style UI mod called wz_Inventory. I believe it has a whopping 181 endorsements. Not bad, I must admit. Of course, it's nowhere near DarnifiedUI's 1515 endorsements...but now I'm just being petty.

My point here is that someone will eventually make a drag & drop UI for Skyrim. And it'll be gangbusters, by gum! Gangbusters!

6. Re: Enhanced Skyrim UI Dec 18, 2011, 13:52 Pankin

There's another UI mod called QD Inventory that features a sortable column of value-to-weight ratio. Doing that little bit of math is actually quite useful and I'd like to see it in SkyUI too.

Also, SkyUI only changed the inventory UI. Chests and NPC trading UIs haven't been touched as yet.

And for the record: Morrowind's drag & drop interface was not as useful as the Darnified Oblivion UI. You couldn't sort your Morrowind inventory by value or weight...so let's just stop being 100% ridiculous, m-kay?

News Comments > On MW3 Bans
19. Re: On MW3 Bans Dec 16, 2011, 07:48 Pankin

Paranoid Jack wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 18:53:
I realize there have been cheats as long as there have been games but back in the day cheaters weren't blatant about it. They would mostly just use cheats on single player games that were too hard for them. That I can forgive and understand. However cheating during online games is something different. I can't understand how cheating to win could make anyone feel good in any way. I would feel like a scumbag looser if I had to resort to hacks to gain the upper hand.

Agreed. In Skyrim, for instance, if I'm moving from one house to another, I'll activate my godly powers so my encumbrance limit is temporarily ignored. My sister, however, plays Skyrim with tgm activated 100% of the time. It drives me batty. She says she just likes going around exploring and dying all the time would bum her out. <pankin shrugs>

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Dec 6, 2011, 21:56 Pankin

It's just as clunky as I thought it would be. Who in their right mind would/could play for hours like that?  

News Comments > Black Friday Mobilization
15. Re: Wes Craven's Nov 26, 2011, 10:46 Pankin

Kitkoan wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 23:51:
space captain wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 23:34:
actual reality is the sticks and stones that will break your bones - not the bullshit you use to hide from it, whatever you want to call it

you see, actual reality does not depend on your subjective interpretation... that is the point

you can describe it however you like, and you can be as wildly inaccurate as you wish - yet the actual reality remains unchanged, and continues to control your every movement

So even though I've shown you about how a full access voice controlled co-developed by Microsoft has existed for years before Siri (with a starting to point so you may continue to review and learn of this technology), you still believe that Siri was the first to do this?

Fascinating. I've of course heard of the the whole concept of Apple/Steve Jobs reality distortion field effect people to ignore the facts and accept what they say, but you sir, you are it in full form. And not only have you accepted what they said was fact, but you've gone as far as blocking and ignoring any and all facts that say otherswise... just... wow.... And you wish to project your blindness on me. Now that is the full potential of marketing.

I don't think anyone here is defending Siri as being the first of anything. At least, I'm not. I'm more amused by Microsoft's reaction to Siri. To me, that reaction tells me pretty much all I need to know about Microsoft and their weird ad-hoc marketing machine.

News Comments > Black Friday Mobilization
3. Re: Black Friday Mobilization Nov 25, 2011, 19:07 Pankin

Oh that's hysterical.

Microsoft's like an aging dog: it spends most of it's time sleeping by the fireplace while all the other younger dogs jump over it & play.

319 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo