Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Horace

Real Name Horace   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pankin
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2009, 07:09
Total Comments 322 (Amateur)
User ID 55260

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2010, 15:00 Pankin

Baseball only feels like it goes on forever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Kane & Lynch 2 Dropping GFWL for Steamworks
18. Re: Kane & Lynch 2 Dropping GFWL for Steamworks Jun 22, 2010, 18:55 Pankin

Verno wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 16:15:
Saying the first Kane & Lynch "was nearly impossible to play online due to GFWL's crappiness," they asked IO Interactive's Kim Krogh if they would have similar problems with the sequel, and were told: "No, for that reason. We’re using Steamworks."

That sort of cut through the bullshit type of response should be rewarded

I agree. Gonna take a second look at this game.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2010, Part 11
3. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 11 Jun 19, 2010, 23:40 Pankin

<glares at that apostrophe-s>

I'm disappointed, Blue.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas E3 Trailer
24. Re: Fallout: New Vegas E3 Trailer Jun 13, 2010, 10:03 Pankin

Diabolus in Musica wrote on Jun 12, 2010, 23:08:
Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2010, 22:54:
Blue, it's way past due to ban this child, Diabolus in Musica. He's obviously far too young and far too immature to have a discussion with the adults around here. Just look at this kid's post history. All he does is troll and flame, it's just tiresome. Since he's incapable of behaving, it's time to send him out of the room permanently.

Um yeah actually no you said some pretty stupid shit there brah. Now you want to blame your stupidity on me. You're suspect. Way to troll post then whine like a bitch when someone calls you out on your stupid comments. Way to go. Also like how you speak "about" me, instead of "to" me. Just like a little kid would.

But, do run to your "mommy" (in this case Blue), and "tell on me", just like a little bitch. Nobody likes a rat. That's what you are. A tattle-tale. And you call me "young and immature"? lol. You can't even take a couple harsh comments. Wow, what a litle bitch you are brah, seriously. You call me "immature" then handle this whole situation in a very immature way. Pot kettle black buddy.

"Mommy!! He called me a bad name!!!"

Way to say some way stupid shit then not man up to it. Were you coddled as a child? From this point forward ban EVERYONE that doesn't agree with Cutter. It's so so sad to sit here and watch him throw a little hissy fit the second someone doesn't agree with him.

Well, I can tell you this. Anyone who knows when NOT to use apostrophe-s and knows the difference between 'your' and 'you're' is not a kid. Not an American one, anyway.

News Comments > Top Gun Announced
1. Re: Top Gun Announced May 20, 2010, 21:38 Pankin

One of the side quests is playing volleyball without shirts.  

News Comments > Fallout Soundtrack Remastered
11. Re: Fallout Soundtrack Remastered May 11, 2010, 07:47 Pankin

Jerykk wrote on May 11, 2010, 01:59:
It fit very well in the context of the game but it's hardly good "listening" music.

I didn't realize that some music was made for listening while other music is... not?

Well, I suppose you can learn something new every day! There are many levels of "listening" and some people simply like to listen to music they can ignore. Not all the time but in certain situations. Humans are a strange kind of animal.

Regarding the music itself, I'm not interested in listening to it in any situation but I'd never denigrate those who do.

When I saw the headline for this story, I thought the music they were talking about was the songs from the 40s as played on Galaxy News Radio. Those songs are downright historical.

In fact, if you're interested, there's a Fallout 3 mod called More Where That Came From which adds up to 100 similar-era songs to GNR's playlist. They're all MP3 format too.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2010, 07:56.

News Comments > RAGE Next Year
63. Re: RAGE Next Year May 7, 2010, 05:54 Pankin

Sempai wrote on May 4, 2010, 14:52:
Jesus Christ what do these people do with their time? Hasnt this vaporware been in development for years and years now?

ID wake up, leave the ferrari's at home and get off you're your rich asses and do some WORK!

There are better dev houses churning out better titles in less than half the time than these has beens..

All love to Carmack but seriously what the fuck..

Fixed that for you.

Yes, I'm the grammar/spelling police. Deal with it. Or don't. Either way, I'm good.

News Comments > Alganon Officially Launches
4. Re: Alganon Officially Launches Apr 29, 2010, 17:46 Pankin

Is this game about harvesting algae? Like a marine biology meets musical chairs kind of thing? And the last biologist remaining has algae, none. Get it? Get it??! Thass rock-solid comedy, right there.  

News Comments > Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2
42. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 29, 2010, 17:39 Pankin

^ Elmore Leonard is less prolific.  

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Apr 21, 2010, 17:12 Pankin

I think the time-honored tradition of educated guesses can be employed to produce more correct predictions than incorrect, provided the guesser is not a complete moron. I think bhuric is probably more right than wrong with his generalization:

Game makers (which include quite a wide array of people) probably wouldn't mind their trade being elevated one day to...ART! I'm sure many of them think about it a lot, particularly if they've had a big success or two. I have no doubt that some of them think of themselves as artists. I have an equal amount of doubt (read: none) that some of them actually *are* artists. Of course, that doesn't make gaming an art form.

Whether or not those playing games believe gaming is an art form is probably just as important a question as game makers' belief. After all, perception is reality.

But how many of them know what art even is?

Here's an educated guess by me, Pankin!

The majority of gamers probably think that if a game has really terrific-looking graphics, then its chances at being considered "art" are greater than games with inferior graphics.

How'd I do?

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Apr 20, 2010, 20:58 Pankin

I prefer Ebert's take on this dumb issue and he raises an important question in closing his article.

Ebert wrote:
Why are gamers so intensely concerned, anyway, that games be defined as art? Bobby Fischer, Michael Jordan and Dick Butkus never said they thought their games were an art form. Nor did Shi Hua Chen, winner of the $500,000 World Series of Mah Jong in 2009. Why aren't gamers content to play their games and simply enjoy themselves? They have my blessing, not that they care.

Do they require validation? In defending their gaming against parents, spouses, children, partners, co-workers or other critics, do they want to be able to look up from the screen and explain, "I'm studying a great form of art?" Then let them say it, if it makes them happy.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Downfall Meme DMCA'd Apr 20, 2010, 20:40 Pankin

Good. Now maybe it will finally go away.

News Comments > David Allen vs Derek Smart
91. Re: David Allen vs Derek Smart Apr 19, 2010, 22:21 Pankin

^ Nice one, Bob. More needs not be said.

87. Re: David Allen vs Derek Smart Apr 18, 2010, 12:30 Pankin

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I know that Derek is reading it and I don't have any other avenue to bring it up...

As someone who's always found the study of the human condition fascinating, I'd love to know what Derek thinks of himself. Specifically, does he believe himself to be the victim of a perpetual persecution scheme; an innocent man, utterly baffled by the hoopla surrounding him? Or does he feel culpable in any way for the slings & arrows that invariably fly in his direction when he posts in a forum?

His claims of indifference toward the onslaught are belied by his rambling, long-winded, reputation-damaging replies. Is he aware of this? If so, is he compelled to be in the spotlight at any cost? If it's not the spotlight that he craves, then what? Does he view the damage as merely a 'cost of doing business'? Is he aware that millions of successful businessmen and women are not openly hostile and hair-trigger-antagonistic to their peers/subordinates/customers? If so, has he given any thought as to how they do it? Does Derek wish he could interact with people the way others do or is he fine with the way things are?

Derek would love to disabuse others' notion that Bill Huffman's site is an accurate profile of Derek Smart, the person. Is he aware, however, that posts he's made since that time have only served to fortify that notion? Does he disagree with this? Does he care?

I harbor no Huffmanesque obsession but I'd love to be a fly on the wall during Derek's therapy sessions, purely to observe a grand example of the human condition.

85. Re: David Allen vs Derek Smart Apr 17, 2010, 22:59 Pankin

dsmart wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 14:15:
Any git can file a lawsuit and unless and until there is an actual case and a ruling, it amounts to nothing but hot air.

Well, Derek speaks from experience here, kids. Pay heed!

66. Re: removed Apr 15, 2010, 22:19 Pankin

I believe in order to recover damages in a libel case, the plaintiff must show that 1) the defendant was making factual claims (as opposed to opinions) and 2) the claims are false.

That follies.werewolves site says many things about Derek but the main thing it says is that Derek acquired his Ph.D. at a degree mill.

There are other considerations like the fact that Derek is a public figure. According to Wikipedia, a public figure must prove 5 things to win a libel case.

1)The plaintiff must prove that the information was published
That's fairly obvious.

2)the plaintiff was directly or indirectly identified
ditto

3)the remarks were defamatory towards the plaintiff's reputation
no doubt, this is true as well.

4)the defendant is at fault
yes, that nutty guy definitely did it.

5)the published information is false
no comment

hee hee!

37. Re: David Allen vs Derek Smart Apr 15, 2010, 15:02 Pankin

@kxmode: What's the statute of limitations on that NDA? Just kidding, I'm sure you're safe. I read through that whole exchange again and man, is he something else.

A few months ago, Derek yelled at me for saying the famous Flamewar Follies website (follies.werewolves.org) had some credence. I'm more certain of that now.

I found a coffee cup that might be useful to Derek.

27. Re: David Allen vs Derek Smart Apr 15, 2010, 08:32 Pankin

@kxmode: Goodness! I never knew you had such a close encounter with the amazing Dr. Smart. I feel for you, sincerely. Good story too.

You all realize that the "marketing" QOL wanted from Derek Smart was the 3-ring circus that IS Derek Smart, right? You know that, right?

It's an astute piece of business; hiring Derek to be your hatchet man to a struggling team of a fledgling game that no one has ever heard of. Pure word of mouth marketing.

Brilliant.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Trailer
9. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Trailer Apr 11, 2010, 10:13 Pankin

F.E.4.R.  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Apr 9, 2010, 16:34 Pankin

That GamesRadar article sounds to me like a bunch of poorly manufactured concerns. Hey, it's tough coming up with fresh topics.

The solution to this is simple: if co-op play is something you feel will ruin the experience...

Then

don't

play

it

in

co-op

mode.

I think I'll suggest a new topic for GamesRadar: submerging your game DVD in acid really makes it difficult to play the game and what designers are doing about it.

On an unrelated note, it's good to see someone on the interwebs use the phrase "intents and purposes" correctly. I wish I had a dime every time I've read "intensive purposes." <eyeroll>

322 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo