Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Horace

Real Name Horace   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pankin
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2009, 07:09
Total Comments 322 (Amateur)
User ID 55260

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: V Jan 13, 2011, 13:40 Pankin

I was really hoping they gave V the Battlestar Galactica treatment, you know? Update it with adult-level drama, make it appropriately dark-themed, etc. But no. It didn't happen. It's still an 80s show.

A shame.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2011, 10:11 Pankin

Was it like that scene from A Christmas Story, where you say to Mrs. Blue, as you step out of the car, "Time me!!" while Hudson holds the hubcap (big fan of alliteration) filled with lug nuts?  

News Comments > Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month
36. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 20:46 Pankin

Never played WoW. Or any MMO.

That is all.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat SDK
1. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat SDK Dec 30, 2010, 11:11 Pankin

In Soviet Russia, SDK develops you.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 28, 2010, 13:38 Pankin

We can't get software that takes advantage of four cores let alone a thousand.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Kinect accuracy Dec 20, 2010, 17:46 Pankin

zero times four  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced
167. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 20, 2010, 17:42 Pankin

Space captain and shponglefan still win because they (for the most part) rely on empirical evidence and are fairly free of making emotional pleas. To be clear, NO ONE arguing on the internet makes SOLE use of these devices without dipping at least a toe in the anecdotal/emotional waters. That person would be a god...such that: they do not exist.

But seriously, they still win for these reasons. It was a hoot though! I'd like to thank everyone who participated!

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Windows Phone Sale Dec 18, 2010, 19:06 Pankin

I'm holding out for the "buy one get one free" deal. It'll come eventually.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Microsoft's Cracked Windows Dec 18, 2010, 15:29 Pankin

This is a great article. You don't often hear about Microsoft's internal corporate culture. ** Read Recommended **  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced
131. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 18, 2010, 09:51 Pankin

I'm a latecomer to this discussion and, admittedly, I have little to contribute. I believe I aptly fit the description that was offered, that bit about not caring about labels or definitions. Yeah, that's probably me and I have no particular stake at who's ahead & who's behind in this debate...at the same time, as an admirer of debates, I can easily and fairly accurately assign 'winner' and 'not-so-winner,' which are less like labels than you might think, to the individuals involved. So as an impartial observer and arbiter of my own entertainment, I can let you know that Space Captain and shponglefan are wiping the floor with you other boys.

Sorry.

News Comments > Derek Smart Interview
28. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 22:51 Pankin

I just read that entire article and underlying comments. Wow.

God bless Derek Smart for providing so much entertaining material, and I'm an atheist.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
29. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Dec 15, 2010, 11:23 Pankin

I'm probably too late to the comment party, as usual, but I wanted to chip in regardless.

I think in just about every way, from story, to layered quests, to game design: New Vegas is an improvement over FO3.

--> SPOILER ALERT <--
--> SPOILER ALERT <--
--> SPOILER ALERT <--
--> SPOILER ALERT <--
--> SPOILER ALERT <--

What is the inciting incident in Fallout 3? Your daddy left and so you're looking for him. How very sweet if not terribly engaging.

The inciting incident in New Vegas? You take one in the melon and you're out for revenge. I'm not sure much more needs to be said about which of the two engages you more as a gamer but perhaps this is subjective.

What's the main quest story in Fallout 3? Your scientist father, together with the aid of the Brotherhood of Steel, is working on a project to purify water at mass quantities. Admirable enough. Who's the antagonist, the entity that stands in the protagonist's way? President Eden and the Enclave. But there don't seem to be many quests where the two factions do battle, aside from the big one with Liberty Prime. You get the sense that the Brotherhood of Steel is far busier fighting supermutants than the Enclave. The conflict that drives the story of the main quest feels very tame and tacked on. Most of the side quests have zero to do with the main quest and finishing them is much like ticking items off a checklist with no consequences, no crossover.

What's the story that drives the main quest in New Vegas? While seeking revenge on your would-be killers, you discover a plot to take over the Vegas strip, which involves two of the larger factions (NCR and the Legion) as well as two of the smaller (Great Khans and Crimson Caravan) and a wealthy Howard Hughes type pulling everyone's strings. And you have options to end this story four different ways, not just four different cutscenes. And the side quests are quite involved. For instance, the Ultra-Lux cannibalism quest was a joy onto itself, as was the Repconn ghoul rocket quest, the Brotherhood of Steel head scribe ouster quest, all the NCR side quests; Westside Vegas quests, Freeside, Mormon Fort, and they all had something to do with the main quest. Even the companions had their own little quests. New Vegas not only quests you to death, they do it at the service of the story, not in spite of it as with FO3.

As for game design, the improvements of New Vegas are inspired by the terrific mods for Fallout 3, admittedly. Ammo crafting, campfire crafting, workbench crafting; they're all nice additions but not at all necessary to the game. They're there if you want them. Same with hardcore mode, which I endeavor to finish one day. The companion wheel is useful but, on the whole, superfluous. Inspired by mods though these improvements may have been, they are at least an indication that the developers were listening to the fans and they are improvements nonetheless. The music? Well, I'll have to agree with Turd on that point. The music of New Vegas is pretty bad compared to FO3. But even FO3's music became tiresome after a few wasteland outings ("Let's go sunnin"). Eeek.

Another element I've seen other critics of New Vegas make is "the feeling" they get while being in the desert vs. being in the capital wasteland. I think I can understand where they're coming from: seeing the ruins of D.C. (the rubble, the razed buildings, the utter destruction) invokes a profound sense of loss, there's no denying it, and this packs a big big wallop when you step out of vault 101 for the first time. This feeling is obviously diminished while roaming the comparatively lush environs of the Mojave Desert but consider what the criticism would have been if New Vegas opted for a similarly affected environment? I hardly even have to say it, you're thinking it already: "they couldn't even be bothered with making new textures!" and the like. Tell me I'm wrong.

I'm open to being convinced otherwise, Turd, but as you can see, you've got an uphill battle.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 15, 2010, 09:58 Pankin

LittleMe wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 03:41:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 22:35:
Fuckin' hell, that's like some Orwellian shit right there.

Yeah and Wallmart now has telescreens in the store playing homeland security fearnouncements from Napolitano, the fascist puppet.

Will they include the current chocolate rations and news from the war with Eurasia Eastasia? Long live BB!

News Comments > del Toro's inSANE Trilogy Announced
5. Re: del Toro's inSANE Trilogy Announced Dec 13, 2010, 14:59 Pankin

The only gaming niche smaller than survival horror is Derek Smart games. So, no. In the exact same way I didn't pick up Amnesia, I shan't pick this one up.

But I gotta say, he's a damn talented director. Pan's Labyrinth was freaky and disturbing as hell.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Amnesia: The Dark Descent Dec 12, 2010, 16:42 Pankin

Perhaps its number two position will delay the whaaa-we-made-a-game-but-no-one-bought-it story until after the new year.

Damn developer crybabies.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 11, 2010, 23:36 Pankin

That makes two of us.  

News Comments > All Aspect Warfare and Angle of Attack Patches
4. Re: All Aspect Warfare and Angle of Attack Patches Nov 16, 2010, 02:42 Pankin

Is 3000AD ever going to come out with the Ph.D. Simulator? I've already got a great tag line for it: Experience Counts.  

News Comments > Games For Windows Website
18. Re: Games For Windows Website Nov 16, 2010, 02:38 Pankin

Check this out guys:

Go to the new store and click "All Games" and then sort them by release date - newest first.

I get GTA III as the newest.

Microsoft can (and often does) fuck up a free lunch.

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
136. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 12, 2010, 11:53 Pankin

cliffski wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 04:07:
pihx wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 11:17:
I only use Steam and i am proud of it.

what if steam don't stock a game? you just decide they have final say over what you are 'allowed' to buy?

Not all pc games are on steam. And if you want one group of people to decide what games are financially viable on the PC, then that's a pretty scary slippery slope.

Easy there, chim-chim. Not everyone is going to see it the way a developer sees it. The reality is this: compete or die. Mom & Pop stores have a tough time competing with Wal-Mart too. None of us have to like that fact but we do have to live with it. Unless, of course, those who feel strongly enough get together and construct a platform that blows Steam (hehe) out of the water.

All this anti-Steam sentiment reeks of children's plaintiff cry, "It's Not Fair!!"

Well guess what? It's just like how your parents used to reply. Life Is Not Fair and you liking it is not a hurdle we have to jump, capice?

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
122. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 12, 2010, 01:48 Pankin

J wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 19:56:
Nxs wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 19:20:
Verno wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 18:35:
It makes no sense to me why everyone seems to be defending steam/steamworks.

Err, why do we have pick sides? Seems kinda childish. I use Steam but I'm well aware of the potential consequences it poses to the industry. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of alternative for consumer choice right now. The PC platform would be in terrible shape without it and it does implement features that consumers want so in the end you take the good with the bad and hope for better in the future.

Please by all means, feel free to design your own Steam clone with published APIs and open systems. Then somehow manage to convince the industry that your central ownership and management of it is in their best interests while they scream and howl about DRM and whatnot. I'll be your first customer even. Until that time though, we work with what we have.

I am not asking anyone to take sides! If you like steam that is fine. I just happen to think it sucks. Maybe you misread or I did not post as plainly as I should have.

I see no need to design some other version of steam or battlenet. Again, all that needs to happen is that publishers realize that there is no reason for this dumbass DRM. It all boils down to that they are scared shitless about piracy. I know, I have said before, however, it still rings true. Once publishers realize there is not one damn thing they can do to stop it, they will stop making the same shit over and over again and actually make the customers that pay for the game happy.

Until then, steam is going to be a closed off monopoly just like live, PSN, Apple, etc.

You may think this is fine and dandy but, I have been playing games for more than 20 years on everything they have been on. Steam and everything like it sucks! Period!

I've been playing games for almost 30 years now. I remember DRM from when I was a wee kiddy with my Sinclair Spectrum. Little colour-coded sheets and requests for words from my manual. All things considered, I find Steam to not be intrusive or frustrating for me at all. Compared to the various DRM that I have experienced over the years, I find Steam to be a breeze; a breath of fresh air.

Period

Color-coded sheets? You were lucky. What I'd have given to use color-coded sheets!! What a dream that would've been!

I've been gaming for 70 years and back then, we had to use punch cards that were mailed between the pages of Life magazine. Sometimes, the cards fell out during mailing and we'd have to ride into the city to get a replacement. Once we got all the 2,560,000 cards, we'd feed them into the reader during our free-time when we weren't working the mines, harvesting the crops, milking the cows, sorting metal for the war effort, or replacing blown vacuum tubes. And that was just to get the game. The real hassle began with their DRM scheme!!

Once the cards were inserted and the game started up, it would flash a few lights on the console that we'd have to interpret. We'd use the cipher that came in the special issue of Life to send our home address into the computer. The computer sent the address thru the 0.0005 baud modem to the game publisher, and two months later, they sent a courier to your house to perform an audit. Once the courier verified us as the owners of the game, he'd ride away on his penny-farthing all the way back to the publisher.

Several weeks later, we'd receive a special code thru the modem and the game would finally start up.

Then it crashed.

And the computer overheated and burned the barn down and all the cows died.

322 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo