Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Horace

Real Name Horace   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pankin
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2009, 07:09
Total Comments 323 (Amateur)
User ID 55260

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > GTA4 Live Event Today
19. Re: GTA4 Live Event Today Sep 9, 2011, 13:01 Pankin

Well, let's be fair here. I'll give you that GFWL is a giant turd that you've got to cut with a spatula before it can flush...but Creston did say "An event for a three year old game?" and it was its own sentence. Its own separate point, if you will (and I know you will!)

So let's deconstruct that particular sentence for a sec.

What do you think was the purpose of pointing out that it's a three year old game? Merely stating a fact? OK, let's say that's true. Let's say that Creston was merely stating a fact, as was his claim.

Would stating this fact instead be equally impactful?: "An event for a GTA sequel?"

How about this fact? "An event for a popular shooter?"

Yeah, I'm not so sure.

If we're all nice and honest with ourselves (I know you can do it!) I think we all know why Creston said what he said. He meant to express a pinch of incredulity (please correct me if I'm totally off base here) that a game as old as GTA IV was the recipient of an event they'd send a press release for. Yes? No? I mean, let's be honest.

And if that is the case, then Justice had a point saying that a developer in support of such a venerable game should be celebrated, not vilified. Or, more appropriately...pointing out a game's age should not be used against the developer when said developer is only trying to support one of their games. Justice is right on this point. This board has a strong tendency toward complaining that the squirrel never eats from our hand and then whacking it with a stick when it does.

The REAL reason this is an "event" is because GTA IV forced GFWL as a condition to play, making that game consistently appear in every top 10 GFWL list since release. In other words: it's the crown jewel in GFWL's repertoire; quite literally the only game in that squalor town, except for maybe Fallout 3. Granted, this is a Rockstar event but Microsoft is a more-than-willing partner, obviously.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dead Island "Private Joke" Goes Public
6. Re: Dead Island "Private Joke" Goes Public Sep 8, 2011, 15:21 Pankin

yawn.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 PC Wish List Request
19. Re: Borderlands 2 PC Wish List Request Sep 7, 2011, 23:53 Pankin

I always disliked it when I was picking up something with E that my weapon would automatically reload. Or something like that...it's been a while. Basically, the reload key should reload only. The select/interact key should select/interact only. Oh, and FOV.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan
20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan Sep 6, 2011, 16:06 Pankin

Did Godzilla make an appearance in DXHR?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build?
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:28 Pankin

Xbox build on Steam? LOLies!

Remember when you were a toddler of 5 or 6? I remember thinking, at that time, how unfair it was that all the grown-ups did everything right and I could only do things wrong. It didn't take very long for this toddler to understand that your average "grown-up" has about an equal chance to fuck something up as your average child.

News Comments > New Doom64 EX
6. Re: New Doom64 EX Sep 2, 2011, 13:35 Pankin

Well, shut my mouth!  

News Comments > New Doom64 EX
2. Re: New Doom64 EX Sep 2, 2011, 00:25 Pankin

Hey Blue, why the [sic] in the quote? There's nothing grammatically wrong with that paragraph. Or do you do that for every quote?  

News Comments > Steam From Dust Refunds
11. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 12:04 Pankin

Now here's a great example of community outcry changing corporate decisions. Yes, they waited until it was too late...but they changed it. I wonder how gung-ho id software and Blizzard are feeling now?

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 21, 2011, 21:36 Pankin

As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft can do and run whatever they like on MSN. Have at it, Hoss.

News Comments > Mojang to Fight Scrolls Battle in Court, if not Q3A
1. Re: Mojang to Fight Scrolls Battle in Court, if not Q3A Aug 20, 2011, 11:57 Pankin

poor sports.  

News Comments > Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play "Our Goal
20. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 13:34 Pankin

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 12:05:
Putting a speedboat in the America's Cup and it's guaranteed victory, but that doesn't mean those sailing are incompetent morons that shouldn't enjoy what they do.

Good analogy, seriously.

News Comments > The Baconing Looms
3. Re: The Baconing Looms Aug 19, 2011, 13:25 Pankin

Kevin Bacon's doing games now? Damn, that fucker's prolific!  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2011, 13:43 Pankin

jimnms wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 03:22:
Mozilla's products have gone to shit since they're new version number scheme. What really pushed my button was Thunderbird going from 3.6.x to 5.0 and the shitty Aero theme the put on it. There were so many threads on their support forum about not being able to see shit because it made the menus and buttons transparent. Finally someone put out a new theme that disabled the Aero transparency and made it look like 3.6.

Now Firefox and Thunderbird 6.0 come out today, Thunderbird's default theme still looks like transparent ass, and after upgrading to Firefox 6 I have several addons that don't work (just like when they went from 4.0 to 5.0). If I'm going to have to go through this shit every update, I'm going to start looking for a new browser and email client.

they're = they are. Always, always, always.

their = possessive (what you meant to use)

And yes, I agree with you. I switched to Chrome a year back or so and I've been quite happy with it.

News Comments > War of the Roses Announced
2. Re: War of the Roses Announced Aug 17, 2011, 13:36 Pankin

Yeah, and I want to play as Danny DeVito!  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
189. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 12, 2011, 12:19 Pankin

jsmith wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 14:31:
Seen on Zenimax / Bethesda's Rage forums. I smiled at the last part.

Confused Fan wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 14:13:
...After all, money is money and profitability seems to be the number one goal for today's businesses.

While I admire this Zenimax/Bethesda Forum Poster's zeal for defending the rights of gamers (and I'm sure it's a popular sentiment among them) but you kids really do yourselves a disservice when you speak about the goals of "today's business" as though they're brand new and you've just discovered something unholy. The level of naïveté on display is embarrassing.

Let me tell you how businessmen/women interpret that particular sentence: "what the fuck are these kids talking about? What other goal could we have?"

I'm unsure why gamers feel that the bailiwick of business should be comprised (in part) of some altruistic component but I can assure you all here and now that it never ever will. I doubt there are any MBA types that frequent this board (and if there are, they're being remarkably quiet) but here's a little Business 101 for ya: profit motive + competition = do what you must to thrive and grow.

Please do yourselves a favor and stop feigning shock and horror when businesses make decisions that increase their profits. It's like wondering why water has to be "so damn wet all the time." You sound ridiculous.

Having said that, I encourage you to boycott those businesses that you feel are making the wrong decisions. Who knows? Maybe id will change their mind about the idea of persistent connectivity...but it does seem as though the writing is on the wall. I fear that you don't / won't have enough people in your corner when they tally the sales figures for D3 because make no mistake: that is the real milestone they're looking toward. If D3 sells well, it's a green light for everyone else. I know you know this already but I wanted to stress it again.

But that whole business and profitability naïveté thing: you should probably smarten up about it.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details
29. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details Aug 6, 2011, 00:47 Pankin

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 5, 2011, 20:40:
Anyone else remember when the 'artbooks, cloth maps, figurines, etc' came with a normal boxed game? Yeah...

Yes, I remember.

The Exodus: Ultima III regular boxed version came with a real cloth map, a large metal coin, a Book of Lore (54 page illustrated book telling the story of Britannia), The Book of Play (20 page illustrated game manual), The Book of Amber Runes (18 page book describing all the mage spells), The Ancient Liturgy of Truth (18 page book of cleric-only spells) and finally, a Player Reference Card featuring all the keyboard commands and quick install guide.

That was 1983. I believe I paid $29.99 for that game.

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More
98. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:25 Pankin

I'm gonna go ahead and boldly call B.S. on those Bluesies here who said they're no longer buying Diablo 3. I just don't believe you.

You'll still buy it and I think you probably know it.

You're familiar with the scenario: it's game launch day (or maybe GLD+1 or +2) and all the forums are ablaze. YouTube "Let's Play" videos start popping up already and the footage looks great so you buy it...begrudgingly perhaps, but you buy it anyway.

And like it was mentioned earlier in this thread: Blizzard and all the other Blizzard wannabes will point to the sales figures for D3 and proclaim that this type of DRM has been accepted by even the most cynical PC gamer. Suddenly, persistent online DRM will emerge on another AAA title. And another and another...

To be clear: I do not question the sincerity of your outrage because I think you're entitled to it. I question your ability to follow through.

News Comments > Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar
26. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 16:15 Pankin

Steam's online store is well organized. Even with dozens of "featured" games, they all seem to get the same amount of exposure but it wasn't that way at launch. Over the course of four years, the Steam store underwent many design changes to get where it is today.

So how long do you think it'll be before the Xbox Live storefront gets Steamed? Microsoft copies every other damn thing.

News Comments > The Swindle Announced
3. Re: The Swindle Announced Jul 19, 2011, 12:51 Pankin

v-word? You mean 'various'?  

323 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo