Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Horace

Real Name Horace   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pankin
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2009, 07:09
Total Comments 319 (Amateur)
User ID 55260

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > "No Firm Decision" Yet on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 DRM
3. Re: "No Firm Decision" Yet on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 DRM Oct 9, 2011, 14:48 Pankin

And who says customer outcry can't change hearts & minds?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Always-on DRM?
80. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Always-on DRM? Oct 9, 2011, 13:35 Pankin

I'm with the rest of you. I purchased all the Stalker games and you won't find a bigger fan of open-world games...but I draw the line at persistent online connections for a single-player experience.

Additionally, I've already been to the official GSC forums where they have a poll set up about this: a whopping 79% voted "no purchase" as a result of this news.

And believe me, the people who frequent that board are real Stalker fans. They'd have to be to put up with that forum's terrible 1999 code and design.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
7. Re: id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms Oct 7, 2011, 21:59 Pankin

As others here have said, Carmack's not wrong. Having paid attention to the warning signs (starting with Doom3), it makes me happy that I chose not to purchase Rage.  

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
51. removed Oct 2, 2011, 00:20 Pankin

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 2, 2011, 12:27.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 13:25 Pankin

Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 11:55:
2) "Front page" idea. I guess that's nice if you happen to be an ADD addled dipshit who only cares about the most up to date news blips from this exact minute, but I like being able to scroll through a page and see the entire days' news without having to click to five different pages.

3) No summaries. They tend to just put the first 10 words of an article up and then have a "CLICK FOR MORE" style link. I hate that. I really like the way you take the meat of an article and post it up for everyone to disseminate. It allows for a much easier decision on whether it's something worth reading.

Further thinking about it, I'd actually like to see you give more attention to reviews and previews. They're in a bulleted form now, but I wouldn't mind seeing a paragraph style entry for a review of a particular title (where you can link all the reviews done by multiple sites.) I realize that might get bulky at some point, so you could just do it for bigger titles, or you could have a one paragraph entry for "indie reviews" and one for "AAA reviews" or something like that, and link to all of them while giving the slightly expanded treatment to one of your choice.

This. Very much, all this (emphasis mine).

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Facebook Is Tracking Your Every Move on the Web; Here's How to Stop It Sep 28, 2011, 11:33 Pankin

Goodness, this article could be vastly simplified by cutting it down to three words:

1. Don't
2. use
3. Facebook.

News Comments > Diablo III in Early 2012; Beta to Expand
6. Re: Diablo III in Early 2012 Sep 23, 2011, 10:09 Pankin

What are the chances they're looking into removing persistent DRM, given the Rock-Paper-Shotgun fallout from yesterday?  

News Comments > IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3
4. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 21, 2011, 21:22 Pankin

^ you're  

News Comments > Epic Not Working on New Unreal Games
3. Re: Epic Not Working on New Unreal Games Sep 21, 2011, 11:02 Pankin

Those are the two choices? UT or Jazz Jackrabbit? Whither imagination?

News Comments > Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games
1. Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Sep 19, 2011, 09:31 Pankin

And you thought the rage over the price increase was bad...lol  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Happy Birthday, Mr. Hard Drive Sep 18, 2011, 16:46 Pankin

The first hard drive I ever purchased was a Maxtor 40 megabyte behemoth from 1991. Mercy!  

News Comments > Wing Commander 3 on GOG.com
15. Re: Wing Commander 3 on GOG.com Sep 13, 2011, 13:23 Pankin

Many fond gaming memories of WC3! WC4 was even better and given the way things are going, gog should be releasing that one any day now. The only question that remains is: where'd I store my joystick...

Much <3 for gog.com

I'd love to find Terra Nova appear on gog one day.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2011, 13:52.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Jimmy Buffett Sep 10, 2011, 16:16 Pankin

I love his little-known song, Piņa Coladaburg.  

News Comments > Origin Boasts 4M Client Installs; Promises Third-Party Content "Very Soon"
25. Re: Origin Boasts 4M Client Installs; Promises Third-Party Content Sep 10, 2011, 12:40 Pankin

El Pit wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 03:01:
I don't like EA and therefore I don't like Origin (not the Origin of Ultima, of course), but I'd love to see Origin succeed just to put more pressure on Steam. Games have to be on both online platforms to make prices drop faster. Monopolies are never a good thing, therefore - and only therefore - Origin is good. I hope a lot of sheeple learn to love Origin, so that I as a Steam customer can capitalize on them!

Now, this is the right attitude.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M
41. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M Sep 9, 2011, 18:14 Pankin

Journalists don't care what system the print industry uses to place orders for this & that. Conversely, the print industry cares not a fig for how journalists communicate their message to people. If this is a concept that baffles you, then you've got bigger problems than what we can address here.

You know, it goes to show someone's character if he, in the face of logic and evidence, refuses to simply say, "Yeah, I was wrong on that point. No biggie." Do you really think anyone's going to eat your lunch for that?

I'm not sure when being wrong became the worst conceivable crime but it apparently is. A shame, really.

News Comments > GTA4 Live Event Today
21. Re: GTA4 Live Event Today Sep 9, 2011, 14:25 Pankin

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 13:21:
You know, it could just be that 20 million people are dying for any news on the NEXT GTA.

Or you can write 238 paragraphs what YOU think someone else said. I think you should start your own psychic hotline. Together with your buddy.

Creston

Perfect reply. I couldn't have imagined better.

News Comments > GTA4 Live Event Today
19. Re: GTA4 Live Event Today Sep 9, 2011, 13:01 Pankin

Well, let's be fair here. I'll give you that GFWL is a giant turd that you've got to cut with a spatula before it can flush...but Creston did say "An event for a three year old game?" and it was its own sentence. Its own separate point, if you will (and I know you will!)

So let's deconstruct that particular sentence for a sec.

What do you think was the purpose of pointing out that it's a three year old game? Merely stating a fact? OK, let's say that's true. Let's say that Creston was merely stating a fact, as was his claim.

Would stating this fact instead be equally impactful?: "An event for a GTA sequel?"

How about this fact? "An event for a popular shooter?"

Yeah, I'm not so sure.

If we're all nice and honest with ourselves (I know you can do it!) I think we all know why Creston said what he said. He meant to express a pinch of incredulity (please correct me if I'm totally off base here) that a game as old as GTA IV was the recipient of an event they'd send a press release for. Yes? No? I mean, let's be honest.

And if that is the case, then Justice had a point saying that a developer in support of such a venerable game should be celebrated, not vilified. Or, more appropriately...pointing out a game's age should not be used against the developer when said developer is only trying to support one of their games. Justice is right on this point. This board has a strong tendency toward complaining that the squirrel never eats from our hand and then whacking it with a stick when it does.

The REAL reason this is an "event" is because GTA IV forced GFWL as a condition to play, making that game consistently appear in every top 10 GFWL list since release. In other words: it's the crown jewel in GFWL's repertoire; quite literally the only game in that squalor town, except for maybe Fallout 3. Granted, this is a Rockstar event but Microsoft is a more-than-willing partner, obviously.

News Comments > Dead Island "Private Joke" Goes Public
6. Re: Dead Island "Private Joke" Goes Public Sep 8, 2011, 15:21 Pankin

yawn.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 PC Wish List Request
19. Re: Borderlands 2 PC Wish List Request Sep 7, 2011, 23:53 Pankin

I always disliked it when I was picking up something with E that my weapon would automatically reload. Or something like that...it's been a while. Basically, the reload key should reload only. The select/interact key should select/interact only. Oh, and FOV.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan
20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan Sep 6, 2011, 16:06 Pankin

Did Godzilla make an appearance in DXHR?  

319 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo