Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yakubs

Real Name Yakubs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yakubs
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 8, 2009, 22:22
Total Comments 434 (Amateur)
User ID 55251

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > League of Legends Soars
12. Re: League of Legends Soars Oct 12, 2012, 15:14 Yakubs

Trevellian wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 15:01:
I just thought DOTA2 was underwhelming compared to LoL. Graphically better? Sure. But I like the heroes in LoL more, they feel less generic as weird as that sounds. DOTA seems stuck trying to mimic the Warcraft heroes the original were based on without access to the actual characters.

I've been in DOTA2 beta for awhile and barely touch it because I think LoL is better.

Kind of hard to understand this viewpoint. LoL's game mechanics are a watered-down version of DotA's. Not sure why you wouldn't want to play the source material rather than a low-budget (which has since become big-budget) knock-off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Details Near
18. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Details Near Oct 11, 2012, 16:10 Yakubs

Haven't we moved past this sort of game design by now? How many times are we expected to travel to a waypoint while listening to scripted dialog, watch a scripted cutscene, press the button on your controller that the game prompts you to press in order to progress the scripted sequence, then shoot a couple guys with auto-target-lock?

Vice City mastered the formula. As we've seen, any tweaks are just making things worse.

News Comments > No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace
20. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 13:19 Yakubs

This is basically a meaningless announcement. Who cares what Microsoft allows on their "Marketplace"? You can still buy software outside of the marketplace in exactly the same way you do now.  

News Comments > Dishonored Reviews
30. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:45 Yakubs

nin wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:43:
you think your personal experience is enough for you to competently rank the game against the annals of video game history.

Pot, kettle.

Please go back and quote me where I make a grandiose claim that even approaches that one. Please, I can't wait to see it.

Or do you not understand the pat cliche that you just relied on as a substitute for substance?

27. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:39 Yakubs

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:33:
/end of discussion.

Yes, please. No one needs to hear that some guy named Creston (as he likes to remind us, over and over and over) has knighted DE:HR as "one of the best games of all time" despite there being no evidence in existence to support his claim. It didn't sell tons of copies, even game journalists admitted it was a flawed game (boss battles, hello?), and none of the game mechanics are demonstrably better execution-wise than other games already out.

In other words, you liked the game a lot and you think your personal experience is enough for you to competently rank the game against the annals of video game history.

Sounds egotistical to me, if not solipsistic.

22. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:27 Yakubs

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:26:
Yakubs wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:34:
Deus Ex: HR being a recent example.

Funny, I'd say DE:HR was one of the best games ever made.

Creston

You're fortunate to have that kind of taste.

Plus, you should really say it's one of your favorite games of all time. Claiming it's one of the best games ever made when it's clearly not is either disingenuous or egotistical.

20. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:25 Yakubs

Leper wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:22:
The game reviews are indicating a high level of quality

This is simply not true. That's what I've been saying and what, honestly, you guys should already know.

Game reviews indicate that game reviewers like the game. That's all they indicate. Actually, in rare cases they don't even indicate that (when the journalist is forced to post a good review via management/publisher pressure).

I'm not telling anybody not to buy the game. I'm pointing out that these reviews are completely meaningless, as they always are.

17. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:12 Yakubs

nin wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:06:
:-facepalm-:

On that we can agree, though I suspect for different reasons.

From your content-less responses, we can agree that you have nothing substantial to say on the matter. So, go ahead and snap up your $60 game because some guy on the internet told you to.

12. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:05 Yakubs

nin wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:38:
Yes, all 23 reviews are clearly meaningless...

:-facepalm-:

It's pretty obvious you haven't thought about how selection bias applies to the game journalism profession.

And reviewers need games to be steam-lined, because they're idiots who know nothing about games...

Have you ever read any game reviews? What's a common theme? The game journalists have trouble with the difficulty. They have trouble with solving puzzles. Hell, they have trouble with jumping from one platform to another.

Just because you're paid to give opinions about video games doesn't mean you're good at them. Plus, reviewers respond positively to streamlining more than anything -- they have to play through the entire game and then write an article about it within the span of DAYS. There's a reason journalists have been caught in the past not even bothering to finish the game they're reviewing.

4. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 10:34 Yakubs

Guys, do you ever learn?

Of course the game is getting rave reviews. It's exactly the type of game that does so: one that pays lip service to classic games while still making the game, ahem, streamlined enough for journalists to understand and finish it. Deus Ex: HR being a recent example.

Now, I'm not saying this game is definitely bad (I haven't played it). But I know for a fact that these reviews are meaningless.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 23:19 Yakubs

Don't sign your name at the bottom of your post when your name is clearly stated fifty pixels to the side of the very same post. It's redundant and possibly a subconscious cry for attention. The formatting aspect is tertiary.  

News Comments > Korean Valve Bid?
1. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 10:31 Yakubs

Why would Gabe sell the company? It's a fucking cash cow and he runs the thing independently (as far as we know).  

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Launches
61. Re: World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Launches Sep 26, 2012, 12:51 Yakubs

wtf_man wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 15:41:
Yakubs wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 13:20:
Knock the Panda crap all you want, at least WoW fills its zones with quests. As opposed to Heart symbols spread randomly around the zone with menial tasks attached.

Quests? You call those quests?? WTF are you smoking???

Uh, sorry, bud, you can't go all revisionist on RPG definitions just because you don't like WoW. Yes, WoW, is chock-full of quests. You get a task, you travel to another location to complete the task, then you get a reward.

Also, if you choose to always kill the mobs in the area instead of the more creative choices...

Now you sound delusional. You think the non-combat options in the Heart quest are "more creative?" You do realize that these tasks consist of running around the Heart zone looking for static objects that are glittering at which point you run up to them and hit the F key?

After doing a few of these Heart nodes, many of which had no combat options at all, I was begging for some kind of combat. Good lord what a snore.

Note that I don't play WoW and have no intention of getting MoP. Just to defuse your "fanboy" ad hominem response before it happens.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Launches
36. Re: World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Launches Sep 25, 2012, 13:20 Yakubs

Knock the Panda crap all you want, at least WoW fills its zones with quests. As opposed to Heart symbols spread randomly around the zone with menial tasks attached.  

News Comments > Diablo III 1.0.5 Notes; PTR Coming
26. Re: Diablo III 1.0.5 Notes; PTR Coming Sep 21, 2012, 15:33 Yakubs

descender wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 15:08:
It begs the question... did you people ever actually PLAY diablo 2? It was way more like diablo 3 than torchlight 2 in an incredible amount of ways.

Why don't you back up that (dubious) statement with some evidence? Oh, this is gonna be good...

Here's the deal, descender. D3 is designed for use with the auction house. This is abundantly clear given the fact that you almost never find any items on your own that are actually any good.

If YOU had actually played Diablo 2, then you would remember the feeling of finding good items on your own and equipping them. If you had also actually played Diablo 3, then you would remember that this is no longer the case.

In the first 2 hours of Torchlight 2, I found more items that were interesting than I found in all the time I played Diablo 3. Face it, Diablo 3 is trash.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup
9. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 11:04 Yakubs

Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 10:52:
Yeah tell me about it, I've seen so many journalists struggle with basic controls and concepts that it makes you wonder how they do it full time. He seems to really like escape abilities and Zer0 is the only class with one really. Sirens ability is instantly useful, has a low cooldown and most of the augments are really interesting.

I asked about this on another forum and I got the opposite response, lol. They were saying Siren's ability is lame until you get deep into the skill tree and only lasts for a short time.

Whatever. I guess I have to just try it myself and restart if it sucks.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup
3. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 10:27 Yakubs

Interesting, the Ars Technica review said that Siren sucks and Assassin is where it's at. I guess YMMV.

Also, the Ars Technica reviewer (like most game journalists) is terrible at video games in general so maybe I shouldn't trust him.

News Comments > Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced
9. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 12:14 Yakubs

This game is going to be a pile of shit. Hopefully BioWare continues to hire "talented new developers" so these people don't spread the disease to other development houses.  

News Comments > More Diablo III 1.0.5 Details
6. Re: More Diablo III 1.0.5 Details Sep 15, 2012, 08:30 Yakubs

In some regards, we were too successful.

Blizzard delusional as always.

News Comments > Obsidian Kickstarter
60. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 18:10 Yakubs

ViRGE wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 17:28:
The thing is though that publishers know how to measure risk and demand. Gamers don't, which is why they'll back just about any stupid idea if it's hyped enough.

It's not quite exploiting gamers, but it's taking advantage of their naivety. A lot can happen between now and when the game ships in 2 years.

Sorry, man, but you don't understand anything about business or economics or you wouldn't say something as ignorant as this.

A little background: publishers are big, even huge corporations, frequently a public company or just a piece of another public company.

When Obsidian, or anyone else, shows up at a publisher meeting with a game idea like this, the publisher doesn't reject it because they don't think it'll make money. They reject games like this because they don't think it'll make ENOUGH money. That's the crucial difference that you're not understanding.

Companies are analyzed based on their return on investment (among other things). There's simply no chance that Obsidian's game is going to sell 5mm+ (audience is too small) and spawn a lucrative franchise (Obsidian wants creative control, and will want to keep the license). Plus, 1.1mm is pocket change for these publishers. Activision Blizzard thinks in terms of BILLIONS, not millions.

So, all this adds up to the following incentive: big publishers want to publish big games. They'd rather fund a game for $50mm that has the chance to earn $250mm PLUS spawn a franchise than a game for $1mm that has the chance to earn $2-3mm, at best. It's simply not an efficient allocation of their funds.

434 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo