Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yakubs

Real Name Yakubs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yakubs
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 8, 2009, 22:22
Total Comments 403 (Amateur)
User ID 55251

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2012, 11:51 Yakubs

As Creston said, in a perfect world you've have a great, well-designed game with an easy mode included. However, in the real world, 99% of the time you have a shitty, poorly-designed game with, if you're "lucky," a hard mode.

Fact of the matter is, you can't please everyone. If your game is "story-rich" odds are it's gameplay-poor (see pretty much every AAA game released in the past 5 years).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Status Report
54. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 01:46 Yakubs

Dades wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 01:37:
Yeah this is a high school debate, I'm going to humor your silly whining, listen deeply and nod my head while you thread shit because you need attention.

or I'm going to gloss over your bullshit and keep having fun. Yeah I think we'll go with door number 2.

High school debate because I actually want information rather than ad hominems? Classic.

"bullshit" because I called you out for lying? Classic.

52. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 01:31 Yakubs

Dades wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 01:15:
Yakubs wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 23:21:
Let's hear what risks Guild Wars 2 took. I can't wait to hear what you fanboys come up with.

You took the risk of leveling up to 5 before making sweeping statements about the game so we'll listen to your words of wisdom mr internet study. We didn't hear you the first 20 times.

OK, so you're going to make a statement that you can't back up and then pretend like you're taking the high road by claiming that's what I'm doing? Respectable.

And I said I played it for 3 days, not 3 hours. I know this is hard for you to believe but the game is not so incredibly deep that it's impossible to understand it after 3 days.

EDIT: I'm honestly interested in how GW2 is "taking risks." Please enlighten me on your clear statement rather than trying to change the subject to your perception of my character.

48. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 00:07 Yakubs

Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 00:01:
One risk and a huge one... spending five plus years developing a huge MMO to compete with WoW that has no subscription fees. Most other free to play MMOs look like shit compared to GW2.

Are you still there or did you log back into WoW? Oh, screw it I'm logging back into GW2. I need to get one of my characters up high enough to make enough gold and start unlocking those extras.

Don't be naive. If GW2 didn't have a $$$-shop then maybe your point would hold some weight. Did you already forget the increase in revenue most MMORPG's experience after going F2P?

I'm mostly done with GW2 after 3 days (it didn't help that I got a beta key to Path of Exile, which is quite fun). I might log in here and there over the next couple weeks but once Borderlands 2 comes out.... Also, I don't play WoW anymore, no.

45. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 2, 2012, 23:56 Yakubs

nin wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 23:49:
So that's a "no" then...

You honestly believe people did psychological studies on the fleeting nature of MMORPG fanboyism? I was making a joke. Sorry.

Also, nice try diverting the real topic of conversation. GW2's ostensible "risks" that it took. So, please. Let me know what envelopes GW2 has pushed.

43. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 2, 2012, 23:48 Yakubs

Jivaro wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 23:27:
link those studies for me, I am interested in reading them.

1. Go to Wikipedia
2. Look at "list of MMORPGs"

40. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 2, 2012, 23:21 Yakubs

Let's hear what risks Guild Wars 2 took. I can't wait to hear what you fanboys come up with.

Also, it's a fact proven by countless psychological studies. People with weak willpower always think a new MMORPG is the best thing ever for the first month or two post release before quietly putting it away and forgetting about it.

37. Re: The REAL reason they closed the forums... Sep 2, 2012, 22:52 Yakubs

Dades wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 16:41:
Nope, WOW is definitely the worse game and probably won't become better with time because it's too mired in mass player appeal at this point to take some risks like GW2.

You're joking, right? "Take some risks"? What risks did GW2 take? Adding dreadfully boring and repetitive Heart quests? Having player models with tiny waists and giant tits to give their target audience a boner? There's literally nothing they added to the genre that's not already out there except perhaps some convenience features.

News Comments > Diablo III Nerf Warning
9. Re: Diablo III Nerf Warning Sep 2, 2012, 15:33 Yakubs

Blizzard still doesn't understand anymore what makes an action RPG fun. This message about Trail of Cinders is an amusingly ironic indication of that.  

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 2, 2012, 15:27 Yakubs

Will wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 14:27:
Wanted to buy it.. but all the mmos before it that failed held me off.. looks like it was the right thing to do.

It was. The game is very much a traditional MMORPG, despite all the PR hype about doing things differently. At the moment WoW is significantly better, although GW2 could perhaps become better with another few years of development. Either way, nothing to see here unless you're already a fan of this type of game.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Next Month
40. Re: Torchlight 2 Next Month Aug 31, 2012, 14:04 Yakubs

Meh. Disney graphics and TL1 was boring. I'll wait for reviews from people I trust. Plus I have PoE beta  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Season Pass
11. Re: Borderlands 2 Season Pass Aug 30, 2012, 12:32 Yakubs

Ew, what a terrible deal. They should be ashamed of themselves.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
8. Re: Morning Previews Aug 27, 2012, 16:59 Yakubs

PHJF wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 15:04:
I think it looks hideous. It's like Bioshock without any... Bioshock.

But Bioshock didn't even look great... there were like two corridors that repeated the entire time.

News Comments > Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week
31. Re: Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week Aug 25, 2012, 23:53 Yakubs

What was there to LIKE about Torchlight 1? I don't get it. Character classes were boring, items were boring, levels were INCREDIBLY boring (samey linear corridors with, like, 2 enemy types per area type), it was too easy (until you turn up the difficulty to the top and they just inflate the enemy HP and damage to retarded levels, exactly the WRONG kind of difficulty), the art style was childish.

Ugh. I'd rather play D3, to be honest, and I really don't like D3.

I haven't tried TL2 but I have a hard time believing the improvements are really that earth-shattering.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
39. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 17:03 Yakubs

Despoiler wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:40:
The X hours thing isn't because of the reason you say, it's because the game is easy while you are learning.

Sorry, but hard != good, hard != interesting, hard != depth, necessarily. You seem to have read my post with enough interest to reply to it yet did not bother to understand the underlying point of it.

Is it really a surprise that you found things to like about the game after sinking, what, 50? 100+ hours into it? And you spent this amount of time on a beta version where your characters aren't even saved! Sorry, bud, but the only thing "measurable" is the fact that you're a biased fan.

I'm sure if you ask someone who spent 100+ hours cutting themselves with razor blades, they'd easily be able to tell you all about why they enjoy it. Still a shit thing to spend your time on.

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 16:35 Yakubs

Despoiler wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:31:
The problem isn't the game it's that you are a low skill cap player. Sorry, but your post is littered with "your doing it wrong" and "that is just plain ignorrant." I'm going to guess you didn't even make it past level 20.

Ad hominem for the loss. And, sorry, but arguments revolving around how it gets better after X hours don't work for me. That's a classic example of selection bias. Of course if you sunk 20 hours into the game over the course of one weekend you're someone who likes it.

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 15:36 Yakubs

I played the last beta weekend and lost all interest in the game. I do think the open areas with free exploration is an absolutely great aspect of the game, and seemingly well-implemented from what I saw, but I disliked basically everything else about it.

I think people who claim the combat is a massive improvement over WoW and the like are high/delusional. It's very similar. You DO click on your target and use a skill rotation. Yeah, you can dodge around too but, sorry, that's not interesting. That's a twitch mechanic. Yes, there is no dedicated healer which can be good but it doesn't change the fact that you're playing a mini-game revolving around cooldown management where in many cases you spend more time staring at the interface than the game world.

The skill system is lame too. When I hit level 5 and saw that I was now able to pick from a list of 15 skills, I was happy. Then I read the description of each skill and facepalmed. Half of them are clearly useless except MAYBE in rare situations, the other half are simple variations of skills you already have. Every class has like 100 skills and they're all a variation of: Do X damage and/or apply Y status effect.

This ad-hoc party-based system is interesting in theory but in their execution it's kind of dumb. It's not so much an ad-hoc party system, rather it's an ad-hoc ARMY system. An event appears on the map and suddenly you're just a face in the crowd as 100 players all swarm a single giant enemy or a group of enemies and proceed to spam everything they've got.

If "apply Y status effect" skills aren't boring enough, they're even further devalued by the fact that you're debuffing an enemy along with 100 other people. The list of debuffs on each monster is so long you can't even see them all and you certainly have no earthly clue if you contributed anything at all to the fight, beyond the fact that you just spent 5 minutes pounding your keyboard and particle effects were emitted from your avatar.

PvP is standard fare for these games. The only "innovation" is that you're increased to max level and given top-level gear upon joining the fight. Which is terrible because any attachment you had to your character is now completely gone. Now you're just playing a multiplayer action game with classes, like Team Fortress 2 or something, not an MMORPG.

I think this game is a great suggestion of ways to evolve the genre but, for me, it was a total failure at actually implementing these suggestions.

News Comments > Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future
44. Re: Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future Aug 23, 2012, 10:12 Yakubs

Jay Wilson is a clown. If I had any faith in Blizzard anymore, I'd hope that their management would realize just how much damage he's done over the long term. But I don't.  

News Comments > Black Isle Studios Name Revived
20. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 16:21 Yakubs

Unfortunately, Alamar kind of hit the nail on the head. In the video game industry, history shows that past performance is not indicative of future performance. High profile examples include Richard Garriot, Warren Spector, Molyneux... But even these great Black Isle developers -- what have they done recently? Avellone has put out some interesting games but let's be real, most of them are not up to par with his older titles. Similar with the other guys.

There are just too many external factors to assume that the same team will continue to produce the same quality.

News Comments > Black Isle Studios Name Revived
4. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 13:54 Yakubs

Looking forward to their new action RPG with epic storyline and romances.  

403 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo