Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yakubs

Real Name Yakubs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yakubs
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 8, 2009, 22:22
Total Comments 449 (Amateur)
User ID 55251

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
54. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 09:06 Yakubs

Halo was a pretty bad game. The only reason it was popular was because it was the only real option available on the Xbox for FPS games which, was we know, appeal to every demographic that the publishers care about. Plus it was incredibly simplified so everyone could understand it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film
15. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 08:36 Yakubs

I thought Avery was in jail??  

News Comments > GTA5 in Spring?
16. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 28, 2012, 19:21 Yakubs

Jerykk wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 18:40:
The GTA formula is pretty stale these days. The series has been already been surpassed in terms of game mechanics by the likes of Just Cause 2, Saboteur, Prototype, Sleeping Dogs, Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, Red Faction Guerrilla and practically any other open-world game released in the past five years.

Rockstar needs to focus on quality and innovation in GTA5, rather than quantity. Having 1000 different things to do doesn't really mean much if those things are all shallow and forgettable.

Truth. Honestly, the formula was already stale with San Andreas when all the changes they made were a step back from Vice City. GTA4 was an exercise in tedium. I don't know why people find it appealing to follow on-screen instructions and then watch cut-scenes.

News Comments > Indie Royale Halloween Bundle
4. Re: Indie Royale Halloween Bundle Oct 26, 2012, 14:21 Yakubs

gilly775 wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 13:39:
Yakubs wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 11:41:
This bundle is worth it for Pathologic alone. If anyone here hasn't played it, you must buy this bundle and play it immediately.

Why?

Because the game is phenomenal. If anyone wanted to make the case that video games can be art then Pathologic should be one of their exhibits. The atmosphere and the survival/economic elements are some of the best ever. The story is good. Parts of it scary. Lots of tension. It has three different main characters to choose from who all go through the story with vastly different viewpoints and even have different gameplay mechanics.

The only negative is that the translation (from Russian) isn't very good (one of the main characters' story/dialog is much better translated than the other two) and there are occasional bugs. Also, it's probably too intense/stressful for some people although it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be going in.

News Comments > Indie Royale Halloween Bundle
1. Re: Indie Royale Halloween Bundle Oct 26, 2012, 11:41 Yakubs

This bundle is worth it for Pathologic alone. If anyone here hasn't played it, you must buy this bundle and play it immediately.  

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2012, 11:23 Yakubs

Game reviewers will never have a positive image. It's simply impossible until intelligent, educated people become game reviewers, which will never happen until games are widely considered to be artistic equivalents to things like books, music, and movies. Right now, only people with low standards become game reviewers because they're the only ones willing to play the latest AAA shlock 8 hours a day for $30k a year.  

News Comments > Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced
22. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 15:42 Yakubs

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:23:
Geez, how did I miss adding such an obvious troll to my ignore list?

Fixed.

Yes, please, don't ever let anybody shake your faith. Today's AAA gaming is the best the industry has to offer, obviously.

I don't know what universe the storyline is considered "extraneous" but whatever.

I thought I was being pretty clear that the storyline is extraneous to the gameplay itself. You have a choice between using two extremely distinct gameplay systems and the only consequence of that choice is how the storyline plays out. This is pretty clearly a massive missed opportunity.

18. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 15:19 Yakubs

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:02:
Beyond the obvious player preference, there are various moments in the game that play out differently depending on whether you have high chaos or low chaos. Also there's the ending which changes as well.

That's exactly my point. There is no good reason to choose stealth beyond extraneous things like the achievements, storyline or your "chaos score." It's just down to personal preference which means the incentives in the game are completely wrong.

If you want to do a good job with the choice of stealth vs. combat you have to make the player choose and the choice must have a consequence. In Dishonored, there is no GAMEPLAY consequence for choosing stealth. If you get discovered, you can still easily defend yourself. If you choose to play as Rambo, there is no gameplay consequence for deciding to temporarily stealth through a level. It's still easy. Basically, from almost the very beginning of the game, you are BOTH a stealth and combat god. You pick one based on a whim, not based on the challenges presented to you.

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:02:
I'm not sure what you're looking for here, it was a pretty well executed story about the pursuit of revenge told against a larger conflict backdrop. Some of the characters could have been more fleshed out, that was my biggest complaint. It's not a perfect game but it's a really solid original effort.

Revenge is only meaningful when you care about the character and you care about their motivation for the revenge. In this game, your character has no personality and has no voice so you only care about your own character because you're playing him. Again, no substance. The motives for your revenge are presented quickly and superficially. The NPCs are not fleshed out at all so why should I care about them either?

The setting of Dunwall certainly had a lot of effort put into it. But why? To what end? A good fantasy story is a story that COULD NOT HAPPEN in any other world/setting. This game's setting is just there because someone thought it was cool. The story does not need the setting. The only thing that needs a fantasy setting is the superpowers, most of which, really, could have been removed from the game with little effect.

A great fantasy story is a story that could not happen in any other world/setting AND it leverages this unique setting to shine a light on a topic that applies to the real world. Dishonored fails at both of these metrics.

13. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 14:22 Yakubs

Incredibly overrated game. It's just another ego-stimulator with high budget art design.

Stealth is incredibly easy on a fundamental level. There is no light/shadow system and guards frequently ignore you even though you're two feet away. Despite Stealth being easy, you are given superpowers to make it even easier!

Combat is also incredibly easy as well, also thanks to ridiculous superpowers. Note that both routes are face-palm easy even on the hardest difficulty setting!

Why would I choose to sneak around when I can just genocide everyone? The only reason to is if you want to be stealthy just for the sake of it. But if you are detected and forced to fight, there is no danger. No danger because combat is incredibly easy. So, in effect, you are being stealthy in order to get a little achievement on the score screen at the end of the mission. This makes stealth feel completely devoid of tension, which is literally the opposite of what stealth should be like.

To people saying it's the best stealth game since Thief 2. Have you ever played the Thief games? What happens in a Thief game when a guard finds you? I'll give you a hint: you don't annihilate him with magical superpowers with one press of an Awesome button.

And then the much vaunted "story" and "world building." Why did they create this story and this world? What's the purpose? Even if you read/listen to every possible piece of lore in the game, you learn virtually nothing. If you want to stretch it, you could propose that the game has something to say about killing whales. You'd have to REALLY want to stretch it though.

So, the game has nothing substantial to say. OK. But it still looks cool, right? And the world still seems interesting, right?

Just like the gameplay, the story/setting is superficial. It's there just because. There's no actual reason. There's no message. This world exists because some dude got paid to make it up, not because the designers/writers had something to say. Just like the gameplay, it's there to make people think "This is awesome!" But there's nothing substantial behind the facade.

News Comments > Fassbender in Assassin's Creed Film
4. Re: Fassbender in Assassin's Creed Film Oct 22, 2012, 13:40 Yakubs

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 13:39:
Who?

Ew.

News Comments > Fassbender in Assassin's Creed Film
3. Re: Fassbender in Assassin's Creed Film Oct 22, 2012, 13:39 Yakubs

Techie714 © wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 13:37:
Stealth? I dont recall much stealth in this IP? Hitman has Stealth not this...

Ehh, you do "stealthily" infiltrate locations to assassinate people. You don't sneak around in the shadows, that's true.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Patch Plans
3. Re: Torchlight 2 Patch Plans Oct 18, 2012, 11:04 Yakubs

They really need to fix the load times for the bigger zones. It's kind of ridiculous, especially if you're in a spot where you're dying somewhat frequently.  

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Oct 17, 2012, 10:26 Yakubs

Darks wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 09:57:
Blizz missed the boat and many donít car anymore.

At first, I thought you were making a transportation-related pun or something.

News Comments > Path of Exile Act 3 Details
8. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 17, 2012, 10:22 Yakubs

Cram wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 03:35:

So, basically, you think production values are the most important aspect of a video game. OK.

I've played through only a part of PoE (I'm waiting to continue playing until open beta starts so I don't lose my characters) but what I've seen so far blows Diablo 3 out of the water.

I've played TL2 and so far they're about even but I think they serve different sub-audiences in this genre. TL2 is easier, more casual, but also more immediately "fun." PoE feels meatier, more serious, and for that reason I think PoE will have a better "end-game" -- but that's speculation.

News Comments > Project Eternity Q&A; $3M Goal Reached
8. Re: Project Eternity Q&A; $3M Goal Reached Oct 14, 2012, 19:23 Yakubs

This game has great potential. Looking forward.  

News Comments > League of Legends Soars
12. Re: League of Legends Soars Oct 12, 2012, 15:14 Yakubs

Trevellian wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 15:01:
I just thought DOTA2 was underwhelming compared to LoL. Graphically better? Sure. But I like the heroes in LoL more, they feel less generic as weird as that sounds. DOTA seems stuck trying to mimic the Warcraft heroes the original were based on without access to the actual characters.

I've been in DOTA2 beta for awhile and barely touch it because I think LoL is better.

Kind of hard to understand this viewpoint. LoL's game mechanics are a watered-down version of DotA's. Not sure why you wouldn't want to play the source material rather than a low-budget (which has since become big-budget) knock-off.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Details Near
18. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Details Near Oct 11, 2012, 16:10 Yakubs

Haven't we moved past this sort of game design by now? How many times are we expected to travel to a waypoint while listening to scripted dialog, watch a scripted cutscene, press the button on your controller that the game prompts you to press in order to progress the scripted sequence, then shoot a couple guys with auto-target-lock?

Vice City mastered the formula. As we've seen, any tweaks are just making things worse.

News Comments > No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace
20. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 13:19 Yakubs

This is basically a meaningless announcement. Who cares what Microsoft allows on their "Marketplace"? You can still buy software outside of the marketplace in exactly the same way you do now.  

News Comments > Dishonored Reviews
30. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:45 Yakubs

nin wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:43:
you think your personal experience is enough for you to competently rank the game against the annals of video game history.

Pot, kettle.

Please go back and quote me where I make a grandiose claim that even approaches that one. Please, I can't wait to see it.

Or do you not understand the pat cliche that you just relied on as a substitute for substance?

News Comments > Dishonored Reviews
27. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:39 Yakubs

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:33:
/end of discussion.

Yes, please. No one needs to hear that some guy named Creston (as he likes to remind us, over and over and over) has knighted DE:HR as "one of the best games of all time" despite there being no evidence in existence to support his claim. It didn't sell tons of copies, even game journalists admitted it was a flawed game (boss battles, hello?), and none of the game mechanics are demonstrably better execution-wise than other games already out.

In other words, you liked the game a lot and you think your personal experience is enough for you to competently rank the game against the annals of video game history.

Sounds egotistical to me, if not solipsistic.

449 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo