Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brad Wardell

Real Name Brad Wardell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname draginol
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 28, 2009, 22:49
Total Comments 42 (Suspect)
User ID 55228

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Stardock Lawsuits Settled
58. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 28, 2013, 00:20 draginol

Redmask wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 23:49:
draginol wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 22:47:
It wasn't so long that game company leads would hang out on forums. That's gone now. Good job.

Don't do us any favors, we all know you're here to massage your ego and attempt to spin this anyway, it has nothing to do with us.

Ego isn't built or destroyed based on the ravings of anonymous internet posters.

If anyone here is posting for ego it's you. In real life, you'd never make it past the reception desk at a game studio. But on the internet you can puff yourself up by insulting people, imagining that by doing so you somehow become slightly less worthless.

I only posted here because I saw one of our former interns was here, someone worth interacting with. You, heh, on the other hand, are just a garden variety internet troll.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 27, 2013, 23:27 draginol

That's terrible!

That's another reason it's so harmful when people make false claims. My own experience in this changed my views on a lot of issues. My faith in the legal system for one thing (Detroit Michigan, white male business owner = obviously bs case not thrown out). But it's also made me question allegations I read about because I'm a lot more wary. And that's bad for people who actually do go through an ordeal.

54. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 27, 2013, 23:13 draginol

That is true. Though in this case, all involved knew it was BS.

What most people don't realize is how the rules change once you are "collectible". When I was younger and poorer we never got sued.

Now, there's always a couple of people suing us. Patent trolls, trademarks, hostile work environments. And no matter how frivolous the case, if you read their filing you'd think we had been beating baby seals.

52. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 27, 2013, 22:47 draginol

BobBob wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 04:05:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 20:04:
Sexual harassment is still sexual harassment and it is up to the individual to determine whether they consider it acceptable. Brad's behaviour was absolutely disgusting and I think she was completely justified in what she did.

Agreed. He's lucky her bf or husband didn't attempt his own form of justice.

You're lucky Blue let you back on and you turn around write this?

What's disgusting are people who immediately believe false allegations. I'd say what would it take to convince a rational person that her claims were bogus, a public apology letter? But obviously we're not dealing with rational people.

I've never done anything to anyone that a reasonable person would describe the behavior as "disgusting".

This is why we can't have nice things. People are so ready to believe the worst and hurl invective that it ends up keeping the people who make stuff we enjoy using not want to be too public facing.

It wasn't so long that game company leads would hang out on forums. That's gone now. Good job.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2013, 22:53.

49. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 26, 2013, 00:28 draginol

Ah I remember. You did a great job on that. I still use IconDeveloper.

As for behaving in ways that some might consider unprofessional or inappropriate. Guilty as charged. After all, I'm here posting. But sexual harassment? No. Not even close. I got a 3 year education on the legal meaning of that. It wasn't even a close call, even if her allegations had been true.

We'd occasional show the lawyers a print out of someone claiming "open and shut case, man. Look at his email." And they'd laugh. The ignorance combined with certainty was just an amazing combination to see.

Sadly, The actual legal threshold for SH is ridiculous and should be changed. It's virtually impossible to win such cases even when you're dealing with what most people would consider a physical assault. That's because the actions have to be pervasive, ongoing, contrary to prevailing company culture and written complaints being repeatedly ignored.

Now, I don't know of any specific things I said or did that you thought were inappropriate. I'd genuinely be interested in knowing what you thought was inappropriate. But there is nothing I did that would constitute sexual harassment because that's a specific legal conclusion with specific requirements, none of which were met.

We have annual sexual harassment workshops that go over this in better detail of course. But the point is, if someone says something thst offends you you have the right to object to it and the right to expect your employer to respect your objection.

But remember, there is no objective standard on what is "appropriate" behavior. You don't have a legal right not to be offended. The behavior has to be documented, malicious with the intent to cause distress and also be pervasive and ongoing.

I have no problem with someone disliking me for my actual views. And that is, if I say or do something that offends you, let me know, specifically and I'll do my best to not upset you. Otherwise, yea, it's my house, my rules. Let the people who need fainting couches start their own companies and see how long they make it trying to be all things to all people. I've running a game company for 20 years, longer than anyone else in our industry. And it's a rewarding but constant challenge creating an environment thst people want to come work at every day.

Given how well you did as an intern, you must be an amazing developer now. You should stop by sometime!

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2013, 00:34.

46. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 20:20 draginol

Redmask wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 19:56:
Also LOL at the overlong ramble from the 'so what if i tell sexist jokes at work' master himself.

This whole situation must be very painful to your world view.

44. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 17:52 draginol

@Sepharo

I'm not good at remembering handles to names but I think I remember you. You used to get us slurpees right? :-)

I'm not going to criticize Alexandra. She was a good employee for most of her tenure. What I will say in general is that it's never a good idea to take something you read in a lawsuit filing as canon because they are intentionally twisted by lawyers to mean something they're not.

For example, you commented on the bee video: http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=UPc9Z2Dn94U&page=1

You knew the video was a skit we put together using drone bees (no stingers). But an Internet rage mob thought it was real and went berzerk with condemnations and flaming. But that tells you how much context matters. There are forums with threads dedicated to hating on that video because they really believe it was me stinging employees with bees. Like, Mr. Burns or something....excellent.

I'm not going to try to convince anyone I'm a nice guy because I'm not really that nice. But I am honest. I can only promise people I'll tell them the truth.

In our industry, people are always talking about misogyny and often times, the media that throws these stones are living in glass houses. I've been on so many media tours over the years with my female marketing manager and female PR manager where our presence doubled the number of females in the entire magazine's office.

The things Stardock is best known for were led by women. The lead developer of Galactic Civilizations is a woman. The Project Manager of Start8 is a woman. The lead artist on Fallen Enchantress/Legendary Heroes is a woman. And so on. I've yet to visit a studio that is even remotely as diverse as ours (sex, race, orientation, etc.). We just don't discriminate. We don't care if you're white, black, liberal, conservative, gay, or Drengin. We just care whether you can do the job extremely well.

Alexandra was the first female employee to leave the company voluntarily in our history (20 years next month). If anyone reading this works at a tech company where a third of the employees are women, and has that low of a turn over then perhaps you can clue others in on the significance of that.

None of that excuses me from writing a sarcastic flame email to one of my employees. I'm not proud of that. I wasn't proud of it at the time and had apologized to her the next day for being such a jerk in my email. There was a lot leading up to that series of emails but as the "boss" I have a responsibility to keep my cool and clearly, in that instance, I failed. It was, however, written not based on her sex but because of the events leading up to the email.

I could get into a much much longer discussion on how toxic I think our company's environment was in 2010. It was one of the reasons why we sold off Impulse.

There's a reason why studios and publishers and distributors are usually separate companies. The cultures in each tend to be very different and very incompatible. And in 2010 we had all 3 in the same building and it was highly unpleasant. I hated it. I hated coming to work.

There's an email out there that was part of discovery (it was sent privately to our VP of Ops but was subpoenaed during the suit) that really highlighted how frustrated I was at the time. As the founder/CEO/owner I don't really have the luxury to quit my job. But I can tell ya, if I could, in 2010, I would have. It was a horrible horrible time that summer. I got stuck with finishing Elemental (our PM had to go on maternity leave) and I was aggravated that it was nothing like Master of Magic (long story there on its own). But the bottom line is that it was a sucky time and if I could have, I would have quit and found another job then.

Luckily, after Elemental shipped (and was generally considered awful) it forced me to restructure the company. It was the best thing that ever happened to be honest. I got rid of Impulse. We lost some people I really miss but get to talk to on Skype all the time but we also shed a lot of the people who weren't a cultural fit and that's putting it kindly.

The point being, if you dream of starting your own company, remember that once you are a going concern, it becomes basically impossible to quit. That's why many business owners make a lot of effort to make sure the company remains enjoyable for them. They're stuck there.

So as you mentioned, we go to the movies together. We have personal trainers come in, we have a nutritionist come in. Etc.

None of that, btw, excuses any sort of illegal behavior. But "inappropriate" is in the eye of the beholder. I was willing (and highly motivated) to let a jury of our peers make that call. We knew (and by we, I mean every person at Stardock including the female friends Alexanddra had recruited who are still there) we hadn't done anything wrong. You can read the twisted pieces online and then what I've posted without taking into account what I'm referring to and make your own conclusions of course.

I won't pretend to know how many game company "CEOs" hang out on forums. You guys who know me know I'm on a lot of forums. I post openly, as myself. I have for years. I also have been blogging for decades. I don't pretend to be "a nice guy" (whatever that is). I can promise I tell the truth. So there it is for what it's worth.

News Comments > Stardock Plans "At Least" Two Game Announcements
43. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 11, 2013, 10:34 draginol

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 10:19:
People don't need to cherry pick anything, you give plenty of ammunition away for free it seems. Hence being quiet and letting professionals handle your public relations as they are actually qualified to defuse the drama that seems to consistently follow you around. There are many developers who can speak for themselves and avoid these things, you don't seem to be one of them though so I don't think we're "losing anything" either.

If you want issues to be about your games then ignore drama and talk about the games alone. Whenever I see you responding to something about other "drama" it strikes me as someone a bit vain or immature trying to shift blame or assuage their own ego.

While I concur that my participation in this thread has been mostly about trying to dispel the whole "glen beck" thing, which seems to come up in most Stardock related posts here whether I respond or not, I think you'd find that it is rare that my discussions aren't about our games (if on a game related forum) or software (on a software related forum).

I hope you've had a chance to read the report:

http://www.stardock.com/press/CustomerReports/Stardock2012.pdf

There is a lot of good data in there and I assume your criticism of my posts in this thread are because you'd rather return to the topic which is the contents in the report which I am eager to participate in.

41. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 11, 2013, 10:01 draginol

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 09:11:
Hire a PR manager and be quiet, if not for your own sake then the potential livelihood of your employees. Between this and the sexual harassment lawsuit it's obvious that you handle it badly and it just comes off as someone vain trying to respond to every perceived internet "attack" on their character. This thread is a great example of why.

I appreciate your concern. However, what I think you're missing is the artificial nature of much of the drama you're referring to.

For example, earlier in this thread I made mention that we allow dogs at work and commented that if someone demanded that we not allow dogs we'd tell them to find another job.

Now, imagine a Kotaku or RPS swooping in, cherry picking that one comment and doing a story entitled "Stardock CEO tells employees to put up with dogs in the office or get out"

That's how this sort of thing happens.

I could, as you suggest, "be quiet", which is precisely why you don't see developers participating online anymore. I think we all lose something when that happens.

32. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 21:29 draginol

Orogogus wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 21:16:
That's not conclusive; there are horrific stories about working in the games industry, stories which wouldn't exist if people were able to jump ship whenever they wanted. And I've worked with people who've been at companies carrying on with wildly inappropriate policies, tacit or not, regarding religion or ethnicity. Usually most people don't want to rock the boat, and people who actually work on projects are generally less likely than most to become disgruntled (apparently unless that project was Bioshock: Infinite).

(Shrugs)

Ok.

I'd say that different people have different preferences. Say you joined Stardock and hated dogs and demanded that we stop allowing dogs at work. You'd get told to find another job probably. In that case you might find the environment hostile.

On the other hand, if you asked that we keep dogs away from your area then we'd make sure dogs were kept away from your area.

29. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 20:53 draginol

Orogogus wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 20:48:
That doesn't mean that women can't work there, any more than they couldn't work in the bad old days, any more than there weren't African-Americans doing great things in sports in hostile environments. But from your own postings, you acknowledged that you make off-color jokes in the workplace, and that you considered it your right as owner to do so. People can put up with that; but they shouldn't have to.

That is true. I can be pretty obnoxious. We also allow dogs, birds, lizards, and other things at work. It's a fairly silly place. There's also a nutrionist who comes in and a personal trainer that people can optionally attend.

If it was a hostile or unpleasant place to work, I'd imagine there'd be high turn-over. But consider this: 100% of the people who worked on Galactic Civilizations I (2003) are still at Stardock. 100% of the people who worked on Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (the expansion was coded at SD) are at Stardock. Ditto for Fallen Enchantress (except Jon Shafer who's working on his own game right now).

27. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 20:42 draginol

Orogogus wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 20:22:
I thought the UPS/Glenn Beck thing was extremely minor (albeit hypocritical, as pointed out) compared to the sexual harassment suit, where his own defense of his actions came across less as patient and more as completely insane. Completely disregarding the complaint, his defense alone made Stardock sound like no place for a woman to work.

Which, again, shows that without context, making judgments about people or things is problematic.

For example, at Stardock our lead game developer is a woman. Galactic Civilizations was mostly programmed by a female developers.

The largest % of code in Fallen Enchantress was written by a woman.

The lead artist in Legendary Heroes is a woman.

Our Chief Operating Officer is a woman. Our marketing manager is a woman. Our controller is a woman.

Start8, ModernMix? Two of our most popular programs, are managed by a woman.

And on and on. Our turn-over rate at Stardock is nearly zero.

Look at a random comment thread on BluesNews. Imagine if someone were to cherry pick a comment or better yet, go through the entire posting history of a regular and imagine how things could be presented, when taken out of context.

And so that's what's happened over the past few years -- as the paper game publications have disappeared, the game media relies more and more on page views and game *reviews* don't get anywhere near the page views as a controversial story.

The unfortunate effect is that most developers have had to go silent for fear of backlash or something being represented as something else.

BTW, the point of the news item I think was to point out an example of news and info from this:

http://www.stardock.com/press/CustomerReports/Stardock2012.pdf

There's a ton of data in there.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2013, 20:47.

24. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 20:18 draginol

Prez wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 20:11:
Brad has always been a source of drama, which kind of turns me off to him (no offense draginol) - it's not necessarily always his fault (as he illustrated in how the whole 'UPS boycott' was overblown to the point of absurdity) but drama seems to follow him nonethelss. I just would rather do without all the nonsense.

That said, I am looking forward to (hopefully) the continuation of the great series Stardock has produced - GalCiv and Sins. Fallen Enchantress is also excellent.

Indeed. Unfortunately, the drama won't go away unless either (a) I stop posting as myself on various forums or (b) the media stops trying to find comments to use as link bait.

It's a double-edged sword. Years ago, before most of the studios got bought out, you'd pretty regularly see game developers posting line. But one by one, they've gone quiet precisely because who knows when a media-generated "gaffe" will be made.

Hanging out with other gamers online is a major motivator for making games. I started out on Usenet as another user, picked up Teach Yourself C in 21 days and the rest is history.

My posts and such haven't changed over the years, just the way the media has mined them. They seem to want me to be Derek Smart 2.0 (no offense to Derek Smart intended).

I think our industry would be a lot better off if the people making the games spent more time participating on forums and participating in game communities more.

20. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 19:59 draginol

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 19:39:

Though it amuses me that UPS said they were boycotting Fox News, and, annoyed at this censorship, Brad had his corporation boycott UPS.
Isn't that just a tiny bit hypocritical?

"Your corporation is practicing censorship with its boycott, so my corporation has to boycott yours!"

I tend to think of boycotts as being about giving something up. If I have two shippers to choose from and one of them is using their advertising dollars to try to influence someone else's speech then I'll pick the one that doesn't. UPS was trying to use their ad dollars to influence speech. I don't like that.

I'm not trying to stop a company or a person from saying whatever they want. That was my point. The answer to speech you don't like is more speech. At the time, I time, I hadn't really heard of Glenn Beck. I don't watch much TV. Why people think I'm a fan of Glenn Beck is beyond me.

I make games and software for a living. I don't have time to get into politics or religion or what have you. But I do know I don't like someone else trying to tell someone else what to do.

16. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 19:25 draginol

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 17:16:

And actually, the thing that got me *really* angry isn't necessarily that he said what Brad said, but that he clearly was public about it, there was a backlash, and then he was like "oh well the public was never meant to see that so just pretend you didn't". And then tried to excuse it as some sort of protest.

If he had manned up a little I could have at least respected him, but spinless and disingenuine and siding with a bigot? Three strikes right there. I'm done.

And it's not like the games his company has released since then have made me feel like I'm missing out on anything either.

That isn't even remotely close to what happened.

One of my Facebook friends posted an article about UPS "boycotting" Fox News. I responded, on Facebook, to my friend. Another one of my friends, who happens to be a journalist, took it and ran with it. I didn't do some press release, I just commented on Facebook how it annoyed me to see a corporation trying to stifle speech and said I'd choose a different shipper. That's the whole thing and it blew up from there.

It wasn't a protest. It was a comment on Facebook. The problem that people don't seem to realize is that game sites are desperate for page views and will put up pretty much anything they think will do it.

-brad

10. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 17:30 draginol

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 17:16:
Flatline wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 16:50:
Sweet "at least" two games I can completely and utterly skip.

I hope White Knighting Glenn Beck was worth it.

I'd rather people White Knight Glenn Beck than call anyone who disagrees with the Obmessiah's policies racist.

The whole Glenn Beck thing is odd given that I don't know anyone who's watched him before. That whole hub-bub was based on me having a problem with corporations pulling ads from an entire network based on the political views of one show. My view is that the answer to speech you don't like is more speech.

The problem with the gaming media is that in their hunger for page-views, they can make pretty much anything or anyone seem controversial. That's doubly true if the CEO hangs out on game forums where they can cherry pick one comment out of thousands and create link bait.

-brad

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2013, 17:39.

News Comments > Soren Johnson at Stardock
22. Re: Soren Johnson at Stardock Mar 7, 2013, 00:46 draginol

Flatline wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 02:37:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 20:53:
They must have offered him a decent chunk of money, as not many developers would want to work for a prick like Brad Wardell.

Yeah after that Glenn Beck episode I promised not to ever bother with another Stardock game. Which is sad, but it means that I avoided stuff like the code abortion that was Elemental.

I've mentioned this before but the myth lives on, I've never watched Glenn Beck. I just think the answer to speech you don't like is more speech. I don't like people or companies trying to get people to stop speaking. I really don't like corporations doing it. I'd feel the same way if a corporation was trying to shut down someone on MSNBC.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2013, 23:13 draginol

It's not even limited to RTS's. Try making a Baldur's Gate style game or a Ultima VII style game today (that is, a third person, party game with a rich environment) with the production values equivalent of Skyrim or Far Cry 3. It would be really really tough for the same reason - memory and cores (though mostly memory).

The 2GB limit was hit half a decade ago. Designers have had to work around this for years and it's slowly snuffed out certain genres. It's not as if there wouldn't be huge demand for a Baldur's Gate 3.

The beauty of first person is that you can greatly limit what is on screen. DirectX 10/11 lets you put your textures in a different address space so you can do amazing visuals in them.

Anyway, time will tell. We can revisit this in say 2 years and see where we're at. That's when I'd imagine 64-bit required games will start being the norm (I would be shocked if the next gen consoles aren't 64-bit).

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2013, 21:19 draginol

jdreyer wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 22:04:
I agree with Oro. What could be so revolutionary that it requires 4 cores as standard? Brad, give us a clue (Brad sometimes hangs out here)! And given the lead time it takes to bring these to market, now is the time to get started, no?

Hi JD,

In terms of cores. RTS's are very parallel processing intensive (unit AI, physics on a large scale). A game like FarCry 3 only has to manage a few units in memory.

Pretty much every next generation design I've seen for an RTS involves increased scale, better graphics, etc. We're out of memory / CPU to do that.

I remember in Sins of a Solar Empire people wanted the ships to have turrets (become Homeworld had them). Gamers often ignore the difference between having 1 ship with physics and 1000 units with them.

Even SupCom had to cut a lot of corners to do what it did. Its maps, unlike TA, were largely 2D with effort made to give the illusion of 3D because it would have totally bogged down having that kind of scale and dealing with trajectories, etc. on a single core.

The cool designs coming up (which you will see over the next couple of years) will involve thousands of units fighting high fidelity battles where the player is managing armies because the units themselves will be able to have sufficient smart AI (CPU is always the AI coder's bane) to have them operate as combined arms groups.

What game designers have been doing in recent years is working within the limits to create squad based RTSs (CoH) and of course we saw the birth of MOBA games which allow for a very limited number of high fidelity units (but still with very limited physics).

In short, we need more than 2G so that we can be visually competitive with other game genres that only have to make a handful of units pretty and we need more cores so that we can do more parallel processing (physics, massive pathfinding, massive collission detection, unit AI, etc.).

Hope that helps.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress
63. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 24, 2012, 22:08 draginol

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 15:40:
JaguarUSF wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 21:16:
Here's me playing the game for 45 minutes.

Hrm, dammit. The game looks pretty good, only thing that seems like it could get aggravating is the permanent wound mechanic. Disposable melee + tons of strong ranged units? Or can those 'permanent' wounds be healed somewhere/somehow? I admit to skimming through your video.

You'll want to go on quests or make use of potions that remove injuries to your champions. The idea is to not kill them if they're defeated in battle but at the same time, give players a reason to be careful with them.

42 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo