Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for cocoreno

Real Name cocoreno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname cocoreno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 13, 2009, 07:58
Total Comments 23 (Suspect)
User ID 55204

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Trion Layoffs
7. Re: Trion Layoffs May 17, 2013, 23:01 cocoreno

Good riddance to this company!

I don't see why Trion deserves 'riddance'. They've done a decent job pushing the industry forward and Rift is a solid MMO, albeit too late to the game.

I realize your personality revels in schadenfreude, but I don't think Trion is an appropriate target.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 3 DoS Attack
10. Re: Battlefield 3 DoS Attack May 9, 2013, 14:35 cocoreno

Tanto Edge wrote on May 9, 2013, 11:48:
lol
It came full circle. Used to be games on DOS, now it's DoS on games.

Nice

News Comments > Origin Update Adds Achievement Tracking
6. Re: Origin Update Adds Achievement Tracking May 9, 2013, 14:33 cocoreno

Eh, more achievements. Wonderful.

Good or "fun" achievements should be baked into the gameplay itself, not tacked on as some meta-game.

That said, I have read some entertaining stories of folks who's only purpose (usually XBOX Live) to up their achievement scores by trading and playing the most awful games, purely for achievements. Entertaining in the same way as watching Hoarders or Locked Up series, that is.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite: Industrial Revolution Pre-Order Bonus
9. Re: BioShock Infinite: Industrial Revolution Pre-Order Bonus Oct 23, 2012, 00:02 cocoreno

Acleacius wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 23:30:
The only redeeming quality I see in Infinite is going to be the story, atmosphere and the acting.

Hallelujah! Though I don't necessarily agree that this will be the *only* redeeming part.

As for it being a console port, that's never been a compelling criticism for me. If the controls really favor consoles, I'll just use a 360 controller. Otherwise, a good game is a good game, regardless of platform.

Ultimately, Ken Levine has built up enough stock with me and gets the benefit of the doubt. Few games have come as close to Bioshock in terms of mood and immersion. Fallout: New Vegas being one (if not better) example and more recently, Dishonored.

News Comments > Project Eternity Did Pass $4M
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2012, 23:03 cocoreno

My innate cynicism has be believing we'll only see a slight improvement in quality of these Kickstarter-funded games as we do from the overall PC market.

I hope I'm proven wrong.

Speaking of which, anyone know when the first project (game) is slated for release?

News Comments > League of Legends Soars
17. Re: League of Legends Soars Oct 12, 2012, 17:52 cocoreno

Frankly, what shocked me was some additional info I read on Gamasutra:

And thanks to microtransactions for purchasing playable characters and items, League of Legends is also likely generating a lot of revenue from those players -- Ngmoco GM and free-to-play expert Ben Cousins estimates that the core-targeted game grosses $5-10 million every day.

So, using the lower estimate, $5M * 365 days = $1.825 Billion per year.

Impressive, if I actually believed it. Still, LoL is clearly the WoW of MOBA. Potentially bigger, if these numbers are to be believed.

* fixed URL

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2012, 18:01.

News Comments > New Minecraft Beta
6. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 12, 2011, 10:58 cocoreno

Remember, playing multiplayer (such as hosting a server even if no one is on it) VASTLY increases monsters. Play single player to get normal rates of monster spawns.

Thanks!

I've been doing this and found the game to be frustrating (i.e., by the time I kill one mob with my wimpy sword, there are 1-2 right behind).

Having played (and hosted) a Minecraft server since 1.4, I can't underestimate the importance of being able to turn monsters off. We run the MC server without monsters-- pretty much a pure creation/build server and find it very enjoyable.

I do enjoy the tighter focus and progression of Terraria over Minecraft, it's something I hope Notch will be adding to Minecraft with the "Adventure Update". That said, the sheer scale and scope of what you can do in Minecraft trumps Terraria in my view. I just wish Minecraft would let you set the height of the Z-plane

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed May 7, 2011, 22:36 cocoreno

*double post*

This comment was edited on May 7, 2011, 22:48.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed May 7, 2011, 22:28 cocoreno

Alas, GFWL is horribly broken. This article is a good example of 1-2 reasons, yet there are a good half dozen.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2011, 22:49.

News Comments > Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch
47. Re: Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch May 1, 2011, 23:07 cocoreno

Having finally started Alpha Protocol; getting cut on all the rough edges,

Ooh! I started and enjoyed it, before getting sucked into a number of other games. Just give me one reason to come back and finish

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Darkspore
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Darkspore Apr 26, 2011, 13:03 cocoreno

My feeling about this one is, "First time, shame on you. Second time, shame on me."

I actually installed it when they offered the free beta on Steam. Never managed to load it up, though. It's since been deleted from the SSD.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Interview
3. Re: Dragon Age II Interview Apr 22, 2011, 12:22 cocoreno

Almost two weeks since I last played and I'm having a hard time loading it back up to finish the final 1/3rd. Maybe this weekend..

News Comments > Portal 2 Store
12. Re: Portal 2 Store Apr 19, 2011, 13:47 cocoreno

That may have been the problem-- I don't recall ever getting to the final level.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Store
9. Re: Portal 2 Store Apr 19, 2011, 13:28 cocoreno

I suppose I'm in the minority, but I just don't "get" portal.

Played the first one for about an hour and got bored. The concept was interesting, but the story/environment didn't drive me to keep playing.

I'm sure Valve has done an excellent job, though.

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 19:11 cocoreno

I can definitely see the merit in the argument of having a tightly focused, shorter game that is fun every moment that you play instead of long and meandering experiences that inevitably decay into tedium or repetition after a few hours anyway. This is not to say that I don't enjoy long games... Assassins Creed Brotherhood kept me enthralled for 40 hours, much to it's credit. As did Risen when I played it a few months ago. However, If I had had to wade through 30 hours of Dragon Age 2, I'd be doubly pissed for a) playing a useless game and b) getting 30 hours of my time wasted by it.

Bottom line, if there's a great game that's long, I'll gladly play it. If a great game is short, I won't complain about that. I don't need a game to be long for it to be great.

Thank you. I agree with this sentiment.

And you are right about Dragon Age II. There is an incredible 8-10 hour game hiding in the 30-40 hour mess that was released.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 18:56 cocoreno

That's great for you. A lot of people don't feel the same way. Unlike you, I don't get bored if a game takes five hours. I do get pissed if after five hours the credits start rolling.

Also, where all these top-notch original experiences you're talking about? Because I'm not really seeing them in today's gaming industry...

Off the top of my head (PC):

- Dragon Age II (cut out half the content and this game would be even better)
- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Machinarium
- Bioshock

They all don't fit my example perfectly. But that was just one case. I also enjoy iOS and PSN games, which cost less and tend to be "shortened" as a result.

And yeah, it is great for me. With so many choices for my free time, why settle for unnecessarily lengthened content? The majorty of games, in my humble opinion, are too long. This industry could certainly do a better job of editing.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Apr 14, 2011, 11:27 cocoreno

While it's true that I have more money than time these days, using that as an excuse for 4-hour single player games is a cop-out

I disagree. I'd happily pay $59.99 for a top-notch totally original experience.

I do it for concerts all the time. I do it at bars all the time. I do it at restaurants with others all the time. I do it for sports games some of the time.

In fact, if you count up all the hours of gameplay I've missed because I've stopped playing due to boredom or repetitiveness (hi Dragon Age II), those hours would easily be 75% vs. the 25% I *actually* played.

I don't think I've ever finished a game and said, "That was too short!", and I've been playing since Ultima III on the Apple.

News Comments > 15 Hours of RAGE?
8. Re: 15 Hours of RAGE? Apr 6, 2011, 23:35 cocoreno

That sounds too long. But then again, I think 90% of movies are 30% longer than they should be. There are a few exceptions, i.e., Lord of the Rings and, uh, Godfather.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd pay more for less, assuming that means the tedious/repetitive/recycled content is removed and I get a distilled version of awesomeness.

News Comments > Magicka: Vietnam Next Month
6. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Next Month Mar 31, 2011, 13:53 cocoreno

Couldn't play more than 15 minutes of the original, just couldn't get past the interface.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Mar 23, 2011, 01:21 cocoreno

AC1's control scheme was ass. I never tried AC2. Is this one (and AC2) still using shit for controls?

I'm a latecomer to the AC series. I only just got AC1+2 a few months ago during the Steam holiday sale.

That said, I only (and purposely) played with a PC XBOX 360 controller. Did they fail with the default controller bindings? Absolutely, but at least the game supports the controller and you can re-map them without extra software (i.e., Dead Rising 2).

Anyhow, with a controller and bindings set the game plays swimmingly. Movement was natural and quickly became second nature. I tried playing with keyboard+mouse and felt it was inferior.

23 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo