Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jacob

Real Name Jacob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Respen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 13, 2009, 03:33
Total Comments 42 (Suspect)
User ID 55203

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic Bans?
22. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 17:28 Respen

Really? It must suck to be EA/Bioware because apparently anything you do garners a crazy amount of criticism. A player being banned for exploiting, with or without a full description of the issue... yes, I'm sure this has nothing to do with said player's behavior and everything to do with the unjust EA empire.

Same goes for the swearing in general chat. Dropping F bombs; at least in front of women and children is still illegal in this state, a short ban is nothing to scream at Bioware about; Blizzard does the same thing after all.

I'm all for Calling EA out when they do something wrong, and they OFTEN do us wrong, but ya'll look like a bunch of crybabies whining about some selfish players getting banned... and not even permanently banned.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch; Pricing Details
52. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch; Pricing Details Sep 25, 2011, 08:30 Respen

Dev wrote on Sep 25, 2011, 06:45:
In addition to the high price and fees, be forced to use origin? I'll pass.

Maybe once it goes cheap/free I'll try it for a month when the price isn't so crazy.

Unless something has changed, Origin is not required to play SW:TOR.

News Comments > Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel
12. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:48 Respen

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 11:25:

Massive did a pretty awesome job with World in Conflict despite being Swedish. Patriotism and general human behavior have a lot of common undercurrents no matter where you're from. I would also argue that competence and creativity go a longer ways to making an authentic product than being a native.

Anyway, I enjoyed Homefront except for the shorter-than-COD length campaign. Crysis 2 was the longest FPS I've played in awhile, I'll be happy if they pick up where KAOS left off and make a longer campaign with larger areas.

The game itself here has a patriotic theme, the fact that it's based in the US and it's titled "Homefront" say's it pretty clearly. They flash all kinds of American propaganda and really try to hit home that this is happening on US soil. Competence isn't even a huge issue for me, I respect Crytek to a degree... though I do feel a US studio might possibly do a better job of portraying the US; If they aren't skilled though it's a waste of everyone's time.. I understand that.

To me this is just feels like buying a 4th of july Americana T-shirt... looking at the tag and seeing that it's made in Indonesia. (as 90% of them are!). This is more than just a subtle undercurrent to me. I get that it happens, I just don't like the idea of outsourcing national pride along with everything else. If it's good... I may buy it, don't get me wrong, but I don't like this decision for this game. Now if they decide to base it in Germany, my whole point is moot

News Comments > Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel
5. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:08 Respen

Really? Something seems wrong about outsourcing a game that deals with war on our own soil, called "Homefront" to Germany... or any other foreign nation for that matter. It somehow loses some of it's patriotic appeal to me.

Why not I guess, we outsource everything else.

News Comments > Activision: Call of Duty Elite "The Difference Between Social Gaming and a Community"
6. Re: Activision: Call of Duty Elite "The Difference Between Social Gaming and a Community" Sep 8, 2011, 11:38 Respen

Or you could join a clan and play with friends, who are even more likley to be supportive and friendly. So sick of teired software/services trying to turn my computer into a quarter munching arcade machine; I really hope this whole subscription model dies.

To get the "full experience" we now have to
1. Preorder to get a few trinkets... sometimes at more than one retailer
2. Buy the enhanced edition of the game
3. Pay a yearly membership

If you are going to go for it, might as well get the "hardened" edition of the game so you get your first year paid along with a few extras.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Beta Has "Hundreds" of Changes from Alpha
30. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 7, 2011, 15:27 Respen

Elessar wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 12:32:
Respen wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 23:18:
These things are not part of the core game play, which I'm not going to get into; They do, however, have an impact on the experience. Unreal Tournament 3's interface was the feature most people attributed to it's failure... at least it HAD an interface.

Okay... so THAT was a bit of a /nerdrage. DIAF Elessar.
So you address my argument with people boycotting a game solely for non-core gameplay component annoyances by complaing about non-core gameplay components. Odd.

And DIAF, really? We're resorting to that level of childishness now?

If I have a criticism about any part of a game that otherwise had me interested, yes, I'm going to voice it and I hope others do the same. If I ate shit with a smile and said "yum" I'm sure I'd be served the same again and again. I'd prefer not to eat shit. I'm not going to get into semantics with you.. it's part of the game.

Childishness? Yeah, I'm deffinatley the one who opened that can of worms here. Sometimes it's called for, and honestly what do you expect? You've contributed nothing, you are an annoying twit that came here to troll, and I'll treat you as such. I hope Battlefield 3 is everything you ever dreamed a game could be and you enjoy playing it.

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 23:18 Respen

Elessar wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 14:47:
It's sad that you put so much merit into some outside components of a game, that you're not even willing to see if the GAME itself is any good or not. I could understand if the game was shit, but unless you've played the alpha/beta, you would have no way of knowing. So you're solely basing this off of how bad you think Origin and the server browser may be. That's just being ignorant to rage about something.

I was in alpha, and posted about how I dislike the game in a very civil manner. I fail to see how I'm a raging ignorant, but thank you for your opinion. Maybe I should go around handing out personal attacks to people who disagree with myself, because apparently that is a more appropriate thing to discuss.

I'm sorry that I thought the online server browser felt like a cheezy free to play game to me? I'm sorry that I don't want to tab out or close a game to switch servers. I'll ignore the fact that the game requires 3 seperate exectables to run. I'll try to pretend Steam doesn't exist, and that it doesn't do everything Origin does better. I'll just try harder to like it in general and keep my opinions to myself, just for you.

These things are not part of the core game play, which I'm not going to get into; They do, however, have an impact on the experience. Unreal Tournament 3's interface was the feature most people attributed to it's failure... at least it HAD an interface.

Okay... so THAT was a bit of a /nerdrage. DIAF Elessar.

14. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 14:05 Respen

Unless the changes involve an in game server browser instead of the god aweful web based one and preferably steam support I'm not interested. It's sad that bad decisions and politics have ruined this game for me, but they have.  

News Comments > Valve Games on Origin
34. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 19:00 Respen

I hate EA as much as the next guy but seriously, can't we stick to disliking them for legitimate reasons? Getting your panties in a bunch because they require a $5 deposit on a game? Really? How does someone try to get off painting this as an extra $5. That's a completley logical thing to do, I would deffinatley do it if I were a digital retailer and prefer all digital retailers do so to give more accurate pre-sales numbers for various reasons.

EA does plenty wrong itself. Not letting me have my games on Steam and requiring me to use their crappy Origin service and web based browser for battlefield are two great starters.

News Comments > Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month?
9. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 2, 2011, 23:29 Respen

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 22:22:

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but in Diablo 2 there were quest markers above an NPC to indicate that they have a quest for you. I don't think all of them had this as I think it was more for follow up quests but I remember it being a thought bubble with a "?" and they moved closer to you when nearby.

Secondly, a good portion of the quests in Diablo 2 revolved around 'go to x area and kill x mobs' quests. In fact, the very first quest you get asks you to kill all creatures in the Den of Evil. While there were still quests to explore and retrieve items, the majority required you to kill something. These quests existed in the first Diablo as well in quests such as The Butcher and The Skeleton King. One could say that the evolution of quests within Diablo is changing with each new title and, over used as those quests may be, having no 'go to x area and kill x mobs' quests would make one boring Diablo title since that's what you normally do anyway. How a quest such as this can make anyone moan and groan or be shocked by surprise has either never played a previous Diablo title or is arguing for the sake of argument.

Torchlight has these quests too, given by Trill to go to x area and kill x mob.

Bottom line, Diablo 2 came out four years before World of Warcraft so, if anything, World of Warcraft simply 'refined' certain elements found in the Diablo series such as the quests, interface, and talent tree. I know a lot of people hate Warcraft but think before you jump on the bandwagon to compare titles for the sake of bashing.

*Slow Clap*

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL
18. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 12:57 Respen

Lot of good games coming out this fall, having GFWL just makes it easier to not choose Arkham City. It'll be bargan bin in no time though, like most all GFWL titles.

FWIW have those of you who haven't had issues with GFWL tried Bioshock 2? Ouch, I think it took me half an hour of restarts and installs to play the game after the innitial install, not to mention the random disconnects at startup.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Announced
20. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Announced Jun 16, 2011, 16:47 Respen

Wether or not elite subscriptions would give you the DLC for free is moot. They are both cash grabs, and yes they can be cumulative in some circumstances. If your elite status isn't active when the DLC is given out and you decided to go back to the game; you'd still have to pay for the DLC you missed AND a subscription fee for elite to get the full game experience.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Announced
13. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Announced Jun 16, 2011, 14:49 Respen

I'm voting with my wallet. Elite online gaming services for a fee in addition to this 15 bucks a shot for DLC is ridiculous. I miss the days when I could go back to a game I hadn't touched in 6 months and have a blast... now I have to pay 60 bucks again to go back because of the DLC I missed.

I'm sorry but my PC isn't a slot machine, I'm not THAT addicted that I can't say no and it has no coin slot for all of his nickel and dime bullshit. Fuck Activision and CoD, Battlefield is on a slippery slope as well.

News Comments > Duke 3D Audio Cards Auction
7. Re: Duke 3D Audio Cards Auction Jun 9, 2011, 15:27 Respen

If anyone is interested, I have something way more valuable than this! That's right, it's the inside cardboard ring of a roll of toilet paper from the john Spielberg used while shooting E.T.

No offense... j/k.

News Comments > RIFT Friends Trial
3. Re: RIFT Friends Trial Apr 1, 2011, 12:52 Respen

I would love to try this out as well if anyone has a spare.

smithjaa@gmail.com

News Comments > Warcraft III Patches
4. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 13, 2011, 12:48 Respen

D_K_night wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 04:37:
you should be grateful that they are one of THE only companies in existence, that still continue to support their games which 5+ years old.

entitlement generation

The emphasis in your sentence should have been on the word ONLY, capitalizing THE really does nothing...

Blizzard is still making $$ for their 5+ year old game, so I wouldn't go giving them a medal of honor for it. I'm sure any company in their shoes would do the same. To be honest, I think the more noble thing to do for PC gaming would be let WoW die, so that all of those addicts will spread their PC gaming dollars around again possibly jump starting the industry.

News Comments > EA Down on In-Game Ads
4. Re: EA Down on In-Game Ads Dec 23, 2010, 13:09 Respen

That big Nike logo that has just popped up in EA Sports Active 2 must be a figment of my imagination.  

News Comments > L4D2 Encore Mutation, Community Mutations Coming
6. Re: L4D2 Encore Mutation, Community Mutations Coming Dec 4, 2010, 15:08 Respen

I agree with jonvall fully, I like L4D but the fact that it was more of the same... same engine, same quality, same gameplay with 4 new missions does not justify a new title.

The ONLY reason I own it is because it was 5 bucks on Sunday. Like I said, I enjoy it, I just don't think it was ever worth 50 bucks... especially from Valve; how the creators of the best deal in gaming ever (orange box)came to dump this on PC gamers in a declining PC industry I'll never know.

Guess it's up to blizzard to keep PC gaming going.

/2 cents
/dead horse bloodied

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 CTD Workaround
25. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 CTD Workaround Jan 29, 2010, 10:03 Respen

Calabi-Yau wrote on Jan 29, 2010, 09:57:
Any lazy-arsed way I can get a key at this late stage?

Fileplanet still has keys. Only for subscribers currently, but I'll bet if you keep an eye on it they'll go for non subscribers in a few days.

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 CTD Workaround
22. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 CTD Workaround Jan 29, 2010, 09:52 Respen

I played the PS3 demo... a lot; I hate to say it but it doesn't feel nearly as smooth or even look as good on pc, and I have everything maxed.

That said, it's a great game... at least on console. Most fun I've had since BF 2142 and 2142 won't run on my PC these days. It's sadly a sign of the times that I'm choosing to buy a FPS on my console rather than PC.

42 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo