Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jacob

Real Name Jacob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Respen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 13, 2009, 03:33
Total Comments 42 (Suspect)
User ID 55203

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Infinite Crisis Open Beta Begins
5. Re: Infinite Crisis Open Beta Begins Mar 14, 2014, 14:02 Respen

If we are going by personal experience, folks I know on both sides of the age line you've pointed out play pretty equally. In general, younger people have more time to play, so I'm sure do take up a larger portion of the playerbase but that can be said for nearly any game.

It does draw a different kind of gamer, I think it's easy to get, easy to learn, social and very addictive. I've noticed a higher female ratio playing them too. I personally think while you may be right about people on forums and more mature gaming focused sites may not play them at much... I think it's more about it being easier for casuals to get into than an age thing.

As I said, I've tried MOBA's and it's not really my thing. Circles at work talk about them constantly though and play them while they hang out in skype etc etc. I have a friend that's 36 who has made DOTA 2 his go to game... but his son also plays. Soo many variables here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Infinite Crisis Open Beta Begins
3. Re: Infinite Crisis Open Beta Begins Mar 14, 2014, 11:50 Respen

LoL has been number one by more than double on twitch every time I've ever logged in. Just because your (and my) curiosity has been sated with the genre doesn't mean it is on the decline.

I will say though that it will have to be really fun to pull LoL fans away. Personally I think dota2 is the better game, but less popular, people have a hard time giving up their progress and friends in LoL to start over elsewhere.

News Comments > DICE Addressing BF "Netcode"
6. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 18:23 Respen

The netcode is irritating, but what killed this game for me (and I have premium) is the maps. They are just not up to par with BC2 or BF3, I think they went to far with the whole flooding/destructible terrain and forgot to make the maps fun to play in.  

News Comments > Diablo III 1.07 Preview
9. Re: Diablo III 1.07 Preview Jan 13, 2013, 11:18 Respen

My thoughts exactly Alamar. Also, 8 months in and the pvp we were promised is just making the PTR? And in a rough state at that. Its pretry clear that D3 is no labor of love. Ive only played a little PoE bit so far I am enjoying it.  

News Comments > Diablo III 1.07 Preview
7. Re: Diablo III 1.07 Preview Jan 13, 2013, 08:58 Respen

This wouldn't have anything to do with Path of Exile going open beta in 8 days, would it?  

News Comments > RAGE DLC Next Week
33. Re: RAGE DLC Next Week Dec 15, 2012, 05:52 Respen

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 04:53:
Quake was shit.

Wuh? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you probably weren't PC gaming in 1996. It was the only online shooter for it's time, it introduced 3d gaming, and later was one of the only reasons to have some of the first 3d graphics cards as well as paving the way for so much of what we have today in netcode. Quake was groundbreaking innovation, and for it's time, it was amazing and I don't see how this can be denied. Graphically alone, I was floored the first time I'd fired it up.

Sorry an opinion is an opinion, but Quake being shit? That's just an insult to PC gaming.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
59. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 23:45 Respen

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 20:58:
We've all been there and it does suck, so we feel for you.

If you don't mind:

Why would you worry about a ghost image vs clean? It's an exact copy of a working system, all one's and zero's and you have an option to copy sectors if you want an exact image how it's laid out. This is a very standard, mature method.

You can have different saves, one could be a clean load with just the updates complete and basic core software you always want installed period. I do that anytime I get a new pc up. In that case it's a 45 min recovery and you are in a great clean state, save hours.

Or save your system state weekly and keep 2 copies just in case. With computers for me it's one moment everything is good and the next moment something went to hell badly, typically a hard drive crash. Now in 45 minutes you can be restored almost back to exactly where you were at, saving tons of hours and things you would forget about. This is better then cooking with gas.

I've done it, the company I worked for that is how they deploy units, I didn't know there was a downside to be honest.

You probably know all of this, but I like to put it out there regularly because that to me is how to backup for any user.

Good to hear the NVidia forums are back up, they were down for a looooong time.

The NVidia forums are different and less active than I remember, but I agree, it's great that they are up.

I don't keep a backup image because I haven't had great luck with them. I used to with windows 7's image feature... but I never felt confident enough that the image was recent enough. I change things up so much that I just want to know exactly how I was set up, and reverting to a backup would leave me wondering which drivers were current, which software was at what state... etc etc. I also keep about 200-350 gigs of games on a system and that makes for a major backup time (this is also the bulk of my programs, so if I skip this part of the backup, there is almost no point.) I'm a control freak and I've been doing Windows installs this way for 15 years, so I'll give you that part of it might just be a stubborn OCD habit.

I can do a fresh install and have everything done and configured in about an hour and 20 minutes. Of course it'll take time to download my steam library and such, but I have it up pretty fast. I keep most of my files on a secondary drive anyway... documents, pictures, downloads all user files. These I occasionally backup to a networked drive.

EDIT: Also, the fix described below did not work.

54. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 19:38 Respen

Horror,

I'm actually active in the Nvidia forums on this topic as well, lol. Several others with the issue but less solutions than here. I am very anal about my installs, im more likely to reformat than use a ghost image, if im going to start over id rather go all the way, I appreciate all of the advice though. Trying the step by step when I get home from work. I'm used to tweaking and hunting for solutions... but this particularly annoys me because I was under the impression it was a whql release...

Hate putting all of these writes and rewrites on my ssd. Anyway, back to work for a few I'm a horrible phone typist anyhow.

52. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 18:54 Respen

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 18:38:
Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:14:
Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:08:
Well, thanks for the heads up eRe4s3r. You were right, something must be wrong with my installer. Most items failed or partially installed, including PhysX now.

Sonofab*tch. There goes my next day off.

Just do a system restore to yesterday.

Creston

Exactly, at the very worst.

Except it didnt work, as you would know if you'd read the next few posts. A solution was posted though... can't wait to get home and give it a try.

23. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:34 Respen

Creston

System restore didn't help, having the same issue. I'm just going to cut my losses and reinstall windows tomorrow. Thanks for the help all, sorry for the hijack... please feel free to discuss how $*#@ing awesome this driver is.

21. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:25 Respen

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:08:
Well, thanks for the heads up eRe4s3r. You were right, something must be wrong with my installer. Most items failed or partially installed, including PhysX now.

Creston

Right with you, just finished a reboot and testing now.

15. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:08 Respen

14. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:01 Respen

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 14:50:
It's a rare but common enough problem, only solution? Reinstall the OS.. I am not joking on that. No driver will ever install for you these 3 items if they failed once. I had the same issue on Vista and since I upgraded to W7 it's gone. So maybe it's an OS related issue with the drivers, but all r300 drivers from nvidia did that for me.

Congrats, you've got me freaking out lol, especially because during the first install I did get a crash. I just tried a manual uninstall of everything, followed by a reinstall of the drivers without moving the unpacking directory off of my SSD. Same error. I have a lot of time invested into this Windows install and really don't want to reformat. Trying an older version now to see if it'll install correctly... here's hoping you are wrong.

7. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 14:23 Respen

True, I don't use anything but graphics and physx. I just don't like partially installed software/drivers on my pc. Like I said, annoyed.  

5. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 13:46 Respen

Couple of reboots, no luck! Haven't had trouble with a video card driver for probably a decade.... guess I was due.  

3. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 13:31 Respen

Just a heads up, this install failed for me on Windows 8 64 bit with a 680 GTX.

I've tried downloading and installing twice, in both cases the installer failed to install Nvidia Update, 3D vision and HD Audio drivers.

Also of note, when manually looking for the drivers doing a search with Windos 8 specified on NVidia's website reveals no new drivers. However, these drivers do say they are valid for Windows 8 64 bit.

Annoyed.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch
20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 14:44 Respen

Darks wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 12:27:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 12:13:
At level 45 it cost you over 45K to train one skill. Thatís absurd!

Yeah, this is definitely another weird factor in the game. For example, it would cost me ~28k credits to upgrade my Corrosive Dart skill but the difference in damage is simply far to low to justify the cost even though I have more than enough credits to cover it. Factor in all skills and you're looking at 300k credits + easy

You know that sad part about this? I know someone directly involved and at the top of Bioware and I brought up many of these points to them and I pretty much got the, we know but we are not going to do a damn thing about it. To say I was pissed off is an understatement.

Really? Just because it's a high number does not mean that's a lot of cash. I'm a lvl 45 sentinel in SWTOR, have spent half a mil on inventory and cargo space alone, I've also put 265k into my advanced speeder and training for it and at least 200k into tradeskills. So what if it takes you an hour of quest grinding to buy a skill.

There are arguments to be made about the game, but this is not one of them. If anything I wish it took more effort, I feel like I've been handed everything as it is. I don't remember ever not having at least 100k in the bank... much less not having enough for skills.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2012, 15:03.

News Comments > Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III "Almost Done"
18. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 12:44 Respen

Icewind wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:56:
Hudson wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:26:
Wildone wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:13:
I cant WAIT to see the graphics on this, after 9 years it must be the most effin amazing thing ever to behold by human eyes, just like Duke Nukem Forever! WOWWWWWW I bow before the gods of Blizzard!

Wow you really are a moron. Grats

no, the morons are the Diablo fans who are actually looking forward to this game and blindly defending it.

You like the backwards step in graphics? (It looks barely as good as Torchlight) You enjoy not being able to allocate attribute points? You enjoy the dumbed down skill system? You enjoy the enforced online connectivity when playing in single player? You enjoy forced DRM? You enjoy the fact that Blizzard now has a track record, thanks to SC2, of banning people for cheating in singleplayer and will probably do that in D3 as well?

There are few Diablo fans who love those first two games more than I do, but I wouldn't play D3 if you gave it to me *for free*. There are far better alternatives out there. Like Grim Dawn, Torchlight 2 and if you don't mind the aged graphics, Depths of Peril. Buying Diablo 3 is basically telling Blizzard and the whole gaming development community that you are fine with being treated like trash. If you are cool with that, great. Contribute to the downward spiral.

I won't be. I'll be waiting for Torchlight 2.

No more attribute points? That means that I can play competitively without having to follow one or two cookie cutter builds skipping all of the fun abilities?

I HATED the switch to skill trees in D2 (and every MMO these days for that matter). You just sold another copy of D3 with your post. I'm actually excited now!

News Comments > The Old Republic Bans?
32. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 21:02 Respen

osage no onna wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 20:47:
Respen wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 17:28:
Dropping F bombs; at least in front of women and children is still illegal in this state

In front of women? That's hilarious. Are women going to get the vapors if their delicate and frail minds are subjected to swearing? Jane Austen novels are fine and all but not really a realistic model for laws in this day and age.

It's a law, yeah it's ridiculous... but it's been enforced in Michigan several times in the last 10 years and it always makes headlines because it is extreme. I don't deny that it's silly, nor do I support it. I'm just using it as an example to signify that Bioware is respecting local laws/traditions and imo smart for doing so by not allowing cursing in general chat.

Nothing is more annoying to me than walking into a general chat in an mmo filled with racial slurs and f bombs.

News Comments > The Old Republic Bans?
31. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 20:57 Respen

yuastnav wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 19:45:
Respen wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 17:28:
[...]
Again: This is the internet. The internet is not a really a "state" or something like that so I'd recommend to drop these archaic ideas and embrace a more modern approach.

SWTOR takes place within my and other "states" which have laws.... like it or not. Weather or not you agree that Bioware should be held accountable to uphold these laws is moot, it's a smart aproach on their part to respect them. Regardless of weather or not you agree with me, I applaud the fact that BIOWARE enforces common decency in it's general chat, even if I do swear like a sailor in tells.

I'm guessing even in your "civilised" part of the world, it's not socially acceptable to swear in front of children.

42 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo