Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jacob

Real Name Jacob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Respen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 13, 2009, 03:33
Total Comments 49 (Suspect)
User ID 55203

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > ArcheAge Hits 2M Players
42. Re: Nothing like UO... Oct 6, 2014, 13:12 Respen

InBlack wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 10:26:
JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 10:25:
Nothing like UO? What about the red/purple pvp system? How about, while not exactly the same, crafting is actually essential again and very player driven. World travel being meaningful. Player housing is nearly identical, and improved upon (btw, stealing from houses was patched out very early in UO too). How about getting substantial gains for use in pve/pvp while doing tradeskills? The game is also non instanced. I could go on. While not skill based, the skillsets can be leveled and hotswapped for some very unique combinations.

I apologize, but I still profusely disagree with you. If the game has a notoriety *red/purple* based system, and nobody drops anything on death...who cares? That was the entire point of being a thief/murderer in UO. Without it, no point. Substantial gains for use in PvE/PvP while doing tradeskills? Huh? Tradeskills gave you no PvE/PvP advantage in UO, you could not simply make high end gear that gave you a PvE/PvP advantage. ArcheAge is an items-to-win grind, UO was an even playing field where only skill mattered. House looting was not patched out very early in UO, it was patched out towards the end of the era that people feel nostalgiac about. It seems like you are comparing ArcheAge to the version of UO that exists '00-Current and not the era of UO that everyone talking about old school UO is referring to, 97-00. The era that made the game great, the era that people reminisce about. Unable to loot houses, unable to loot players, ability to craft items that give you a PvE/PvP advantage...you are comparing ArcheAge to TODAY'S UO, not the hardcore UO that all the old schoolers fell in love with.

Just because a game has crafting, housing, and an open world, does not make the game "Like UO". Dozens of MMO's that came out in the last decade and a half have all that, and people don't compare them to UO. So stop comparing this game to it, yes it has similarities, like many games do, but is missing everything that made UO fun.

I was about to check this out. Thank you for saving me some time.

Your argument is completely based on two factors, ffa loot upon death and house looting. For the record, I originally said I haven't had this much fun since UO and EQ. I didn't even go there, but the fact is that there ARE similarities. Be blind to them if you want.

There can be substantial penalty on death, the loss of trade packs, which are dropped when you die. A main reason for killing other players as a pirate, opposing faction, or just general jerk is to loot their packs. If they have a merchant ship, you could potentially loot hours and hours worth of accumulated goods and really ruin someone's evening.

In addition, when I was talking about crafting gains counting towards pve... I was talking about advancement and that crafted goods are actually viable. For example, in UO you'd gain strength when lumberjacking. In AA, you'll gain experience.

The games are similar, not exactly the same by any means, but AA is more like UO than any AAA title in years. I'm sorry that offends your Ultima Online nostalgia. I never played modern UO, I only played till 99, and switched to EQ. So that is the precise era I am referring to. I guess it just wasn't the same locked house exploiting and player killing experience for me as it was for you.

Good luck finding anything closer to the experience you had in UO elsewhere today.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 4, 2014, 11:26 Respen

Redmask wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 11:15:
I loaded this up last night to see what the score is and so far its a bog standard theme park MMO that is boring me to tears. The user interface is busy, it has some sort of strange labor system where I need points to even engage in crafting and every single thing so far has been 'go here, collect 5 animal asses' type shit.

I hope this opens up later because this game is not giving a good first impression.

The labor system serves to limit the amount of crafting you can do, which gives value to crafted goods. If you subscribe you get 3k more added to your cap. It also slows down bots (you can't open coinpurses to get gold if you run out of labor), and serves to make Trion money through labor potions.

The first few levels are meh, I'll give you that. It's kind of a tutorial. It opens up, especially after 30-40 if you find a guild that is objective based and organized, even more so. If you want a taste of pvp, head to Halcyona during a war.

37. Re: Nothing like UO... Oct 4, 2014, 11:19 Respen

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 10:27:
Respen wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 18:57:
JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 18:07:
Damn, from reading you guys comments this does sound pretty sweet. I often reminisce about the good ol' UO days. Wonder if i can break into peoples houses and clean them out like i could in UO?

As a long time UO player who started in 97...this game is nothing like Ultima Online, I don't know what people making that correlation are smoking. UO was skill based, this game will be a gear grind. In UO people lost everything they were carrying when they died, in this game, they lose nothing. In UO you could break into people's houses and steal everything in it, in this game...nope. There are a few things in this game that you could stretch and argue is like Ultima Online, but none of what actually made the game fun.

Oh, and if you play with invert mouse, don't even bother downloading it. PC Gaming 101, and they can't even get that right. This game is a fad, and is only getting attention because there isn't much else that's new at the moment. As soon as there is, people will quickly move on.

Nothing like UO? What about the red/purple pvp system? How about, while not exactly the same, crafting is actually essential again and very player driven. World travel being meaningful. Player housing is nearly identical, and improved upon (btw, stealing from houses was patched out very early in UO too). How about getting substantial gains for use in pve/pvp while doing tradeskills? The game is also non instanced. I could go on. While not skill based, the skillsets can be leveled and hotswapped for some very unique combinations.

I played UO from about 2 weeks after launch, this is the first time a sword and sorcery game has felt anything like it to me. Yes, I've played Lineage 2 and Aion.

If you are going to hate, hate, but the similarities are obvious and I could go on with them. Just because they don't have the exact same leveling system and the housing system doesn't match the few months of house looting allowed in UO doesn't mean they aren't similar.

Player looting, while I agree it is fun, would just be too harsh in this game, because as you say... armor is worth so much more than it was in UO. So you've got a point there.

From a long term UO player, you are crazy, it is NOTHING like the old UO. How you could even think that means you have completely forgotten what old UO looked like.

Compaired to most modern MMO's it has a lot more in common with UO. I'm not going to argue/dispute bullet points as to why anymore, especially if your entire argument is based on one premise of the game. UO was a lot more to me than just losing some stuff it took very little time to replace. It's not your golden nostalgia covered UO remake, but there are many similarities.

Regardless, my point was that I haven't had this much fun since UO, I see not bots and no cheating but I'm not looking for them either.... I'm just helping my 200+ person guild build merchant ships and galleons in preparation for war in the north, PVPing/crafting/questing when I have the time. Hate if you want to hate, but the game is great.

BTW I've only seen one instance of spam since yesterday's patch (and I'm on a lot).

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2014, 11:28.

30. Re: Nothing like UO... Oct 3, 2014, 18:57 Respen

JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 18:07:
Damn, from reading you guys comments this does sound pretty sweet. I often reminisce about the good ol' UO days. Wonder if i can break into peoples houses and clean them out like i could in UO?

As a long time UO player who started in 97...this game is nothing like Ultima Online, I don't know what people making that correlation are smoking. UO was skill based, this game will be a gear grind. In UO people lost everything they were carrying when they died, in this game, they lose nothing. In UO you could break into people's houses and steal everything in it, in this game...nope. There are a few things in this game that you could stretch and argue is like Ultima Online, but none of what actually made the game fun.

Oh, and if you play with invert mouse, don't even bother downloading it. PC Gaming 101, and they can't even get that right. This game is a fad, and is only getting attention because there isn't much else that's new at the moment. As soon as there is, people will quickly move on.

I played UO from about 2 weeks after launch, this is the first time a sword and sorcery game has felt anything like it to me. Yes, I've played Lineage 2 and Aion.

If you are going to hate, hate, but the similarities are obvious and I could go on with them. Just because they don't have the exact same leveling system and the housing system doesn't match the few months of house looting allowed in UO doesn't mean they aren't similar.

Player looting, while I agree it is fun, would just be too harsh in this game, because as you say... armor is worth so much more than it was in UO. So you've got a point there.

26. Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 17:46 Respen

Maybe it's just my server but I haven't seen one instance of cheating, no teleporting packs, nothing. The 1.7 patch is in a few weeks and should quash a lot of that, but every game has cheaters. With this at least you have the ability to flag cheaters and are rewarded if they are caught.

If you play MMO's you just have to learn to play for yourself, focusing on cheating and spamming will just piss you off. So long as something is being done about it... and it is. We are getting several patches a week, which is saying a lot because XL games is operating from korea.

23. Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 15:57 Respen

The patch today addressed the spam, one hour in and I haven't seen any. Knock on wood.  

11. Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 11:31 Respen

AA is the most fun I've had since Ultima Online/Everquest, this brings the open world,crafting and PVP of UO to modern games, and actually does some of it better. I will be really really surprised if we don't have a western company trying to copy this model. There are trade runs to make cash/currency, Wars, no instances, a beautifully designed world with meaningful travel, unique and changeable classes/skills, and honestly even though it's been translated, good lore... guild effort is needed to get anywhere and a 200 person guild is about a mid sized guild here.

There is just so much to do in this game, the depth is just awesome. The racial stories aren't bad either if you take the time to do them. I will agree that free to play is not the ideal model for this game just because it encourages spammers, but they are fighting spammers.

There is plenty of player housing left, just don't join the 4 most popular servers and expect to find one. No one is running scripts to place a house, you can place within an hour and a half of starting a new character if you have any experience. In a few weeks an entire continent will open up with more housing. In addition, rent must be paid every two weeks, as players quit a lot more housing will open up.

This game is just fun. It's open world pvp once you get past the level 30 zones. There is an East vs. West faction and a pirate faction for those that kill their own faction too often. The sea battles are just fun.

Just a quick little rant to defend the game. If you are looking for sandbox, this is the best since UO. To be fair I'll say that spammers can be a problem, especially right before a server goes down... you can't even see chat. Better since release, but a ways to go. They increased the server caps, and I've noticed lag. The sandbox stuff doesn't start till 30 (40 if you quest as much as I do) but you will easily hit that in a week.

News Comments > Infinite Crisis Open Beta Begins
5. Re: Infinite Crisis Open Beta Begins Mar 14, 2014, 14:02 Respen

If we are going by personal experience, folks I know on both sides of the age line you've pointed out play pretty equally. In general, younger people have more time to play, so I'm sure do take up a larger portion of the playerbase but that can be said for nearly any game.

It does draw a different kind of gamer, I think it's easy to get, easy to learn, social and very addictive. I've noticed a higher female ratio playing them too. I personally think while you may be right about people on forums and more mature gaming focused sites may not play them at much... I think it's more about it being easier for casuals to get into than an age thing.

As I said, I've tried MOBA's and it's not really my thing. Circles at work talk about them constantly though and play them while they hang out in skype etc etc. I have a friend that's 36 who has made DOTA 2 his go to game... but his son also plays. Soo many variables here.

News Comments > Infinite Crisis Open Beta Begins
3. Re: Infinite Crisis Open Beta Begins Mar 14, 2014, 11:50 Respen

LoL has been number one by more than double on twitch every time I've ever logged in. Just because your (and my) curiosity has been sated with the genre doesn't mean it is on the decline.

I will say though that it will have to be really fun to pull LoL fans away. Personally I think dota2 is the better game, but less popular, people have a hard time giving up their progress and friends in LoL to start over elsewhere.

News Comments > DICE Addressing BF "Netcode"
6. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 18:23 Respen

The netcode is irritating, but what killed this game for me (and I have premium) is the maps. They are just not up to par with BC2 or BF3, I think they went to far with the whole flooding/destructible terrain and forgot to make the maps fun to play in.  

News Comments > Diablo III 1.07 Preview
9. Re: Diablo III 1.07 Preview Jan 13, 2013, 11:18 Respen

My thoughts exactly Alamar. Also, 8 months in and the pvp we were promised is just making the PTR? And in a rough state at that. Its pretry clear that D3 is no labor of love. Ive only played a little PoE bit so far I am enjoying it.  

News Comments > Diablo III 1.07 Preview
7. Re: Diablo III 1.07 Preview Jan 13, 2013, 08:58 Respen

This wouldn't have anything to do with Path of Exile going open beta in 8 days, would it?  

News Comments > RAGE DLC Next Week
33. Re: RAGE DLC Next Week Dec 15, 2012, 05:52 Respen

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 04:53:
Quake was shit.

Wuh? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you probably weren't PC gaming in 1996. It was the only online shooter for it's time, it introduced 3d gaming, and later was one of the only reasons to have some of the first 3d graphics cards as well as paving the way for so much of what we have today in netcode. Quake was groundbreaking innovation, and for it's time, it was amazing and I don't see how this can be denied. Graphically alone, I was floored the first time I'd fired it up.

Sorry an opinion is an opinion, but Quake being shit? That's just an insult to PC gaming.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
59. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 23:45 Respen

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 20:58:
We've all been there and it does suck, so we feel for you.

If you don't mind:

Why would you worry about a ghost image vs clean? It's an exact copy of a working system, all one's and zero's and you have an option to copy sectors if you want an exact image how it's laid out. This is a very standard, mature method.

You can have different saves, one could be a clean load with just the updates complete and basic core software you always want installed period. I do that anytime I get a new pc up. In that case it's a 45 min recovery and you are in a great clean state, save hours.

Or save your system state weekly and keep 2 copies just in case. With computers for me it's one moment everything is good and the next moment something went to hell badly, typically a hard drive crash. Now in 45 minutes you can be restored almost back to exactly where you were at, saving tons of hours and things you would forget about. This is better then cooking with gas.

I've done it, the company I worked for that is how they deploy units, I didn't know there was a downside to be honest.

You probably know all of this, but I like to put it out there regularly because that to me is how to backup for any user.

Good to hear the NVidia forums are back up, they were down for a looooong time.

The NVidia forums are different and less active than I remember, but I agree, it's great that they are up.

I don't keep a backup image because I haven't had great luck with them. I used to with windows 7's image feature... but I never felt confident enough that the image was recent enough. I change things up so much that I just want to know exactly how I was set up, and reverting to a backup would leave me wondering which drivers were current, which software was at what state... etc etc. I also keep about 200-350 gigs of games on a system and that makes for a major backup time (this is also the bulk of my programs, so if I skip this part of the backup, there is almost no point.) I'm a control freak and I've been doing Windows installs this way for 15 years, so I'll give you that part of it might just be a stubborn OCD habit.

I can do a fresh install and have everything done and configured in about an hour and 20 minutes. Of course it'll take time to download my steam library and such, but I have it up pretty fast. I keep most of my files on a secondary drive anyway... documents, pictures, downloads all user files. These I occasionally backup to a networked drive.

EDIT: Also, the fix described below did not work.

54. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 19:38 Respen

Horror,

I'm actually active in the Nvidia forums on this topic as well, lol. Several others with the issue but less solutions than here. I am very anal about my installs, im more likely to reformat than use a ghost image, if im going to start over id rather go all the way, I appreciate all of the advice though. Trying the step by step when I get home from work. I'm used to tweaking and hunting for solutions... but this particularly annoys me because I was under the impression it was a whql release...

Hate putting all of these writes and rewrites on my ssd. Anyway, back to work for a few I'm a horrible phone typist anyhow.

52. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 18:54 Respen

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 18:38:
Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:14:
Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:08:
Well, thanks for the heads up eRe4s3r. You were right, something must be wrong with my installer. Most items failed or partially installed, including PhysX now.

Sonofab*tch. There goes my next day off.

Just do a system restore to yesterday.

Creston

Exactly, at the very worst.

Except it didnt work, as you would know if you'd read the next few posts. A solution was posted though... can't wait to get home and give it a try.

23. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:34 Respen

Creston

System restore didn't help, having the same issue. I'm just going to cut my losses and reinstall windows tomorrow. Thanks for the help all, sorry for the hijack... please feel free to discuss how $*#@ing awesome this driver is.

21. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:25 Respen

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:08:
Well, thanks for the heads up eRe4s3r. You were right, something must be wrong with my installer. Most items failed or partially installed, including PhysX now.

Creston

Right with you, just finished a reboot and testing now.

15. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:08 Respen

14. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:01 Respen

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 14:50:
It's a rare but common enough problem, only solution? Reinstall the OS.. I am not joking on that. No driver will ever install for you these 3 items if they failed once. I had the same issue on Vista and since I upgraded to W7 it's gone. So maybe it's an OS related issue with the drivers, but all r300 drivers from nvidia did that for me.

Congrats, you've got me freaking out lol, especially because during the first install I did get a crash. I just tried a manual uninstall of everything, followed by a reinstall of the drivers without moving the unpacking directory off of my SSD. Same error. I have a lot of time invested into this Windows install and really don't want to reformat. Trying an older version now to see if it'll install correctly... here's hoping you are wrong.

49 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo