Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for J Wohlever

Real Name J Wohlever   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdwohlever
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Xbox Live Ambassador (Ret)
Founder of PERS0NA; Paranormal Investigator
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God" @jdwohlever
Homepage http://www.facebook.com/jdwohlever
Signed On Sep 8, 2009, 02:20
Total Comments 38 (Suspect)
User ID 55195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadow Realms ShakyCam Video
6. Re: Shadow Realms ShakyCam Video Aug 14, 2014, 07:29 jdwohlever

Looks like Left 4 Dead meets MMO.
Meh.

Xbox Live Ambassador (RET)
Founder of PERS0NA, a non-profit scientific paranormal investigation society
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully
34. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 08:37 jdwohlever

There is always one anti-Obama idiot who has to post their fanatical ideals that have no bearing on the subject at hand. Good job ass-hat.
On to the subject; I've owned both a mouse and keyboard by Razor. The mouse was one of their first models before they became so popular and it lasted me about 5 years, which for me is a long time. I usually go through a mouse every 6 months (I'm looking at you Logitech) and keyboards about as often. The keyboard, which was bought last year didn't last but 2 months (I have kids, kids spill/drop/bang stuff)
I can definitely tell a difference in quality between their older equipment and their newer stuff. Sadly, Razor has, like a lot of companies, gotten complacent and their quality has gone down while the price has gone up. I miss the Razor of old.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Oct 25, 2012, 11:26 jdwohlever

"SmartGlass, despite its catchy name, is actually not a new type of material but actually an app that you download to your smartphone or tablet. It will be available on a variety of platforms from iOS and Android devices and will connect your device to the Xbox 360. And as you’re watching a compatible movie or a TV show, your SmartGlass enabled device essentially becomes a second remote control. Sound confusing, redundant and unnecessary? Hold on, there’s more…

During it’s keynote address, Microsoft used HBO’s ‘Game of Thrones‘ (available on Xbox 360 via HBO GO) as an example. As an episode played on screen, a SmartGlass tablet displayed a 3D map of Westeros, detailed character genealogy, commentary from the episode’s writers and director and much more. Think of it as a HUD for your movies and TV.

SmartGlass works for movies as well. Microsoft used ‘School of Rock’ as an example. Curious choice, but OK. The tablet pops up character information as the character enters a particular scene. And let’s say you like ‘Anchorman’ but only want to watch the scenes with Brick Tamland – you can skip ahead to scenes that only feature that character. And if you have to run to work, you can swipe the movie onto your tablet, watch during your commute, then swipe back onto your TV when you get home at night.

Now movies and TV are not the only thing that SmartGlass is useful for. You’ll be able to use it to work with your favorite video games. SmartGlass, for example, will allow you to draw up a play in Madden ’13 with your touchscreen and immediately use it in the game. It will also work with Internet Explorer, now available on Xbox 360, making your tablet or phone a powerful mouse.

This is just the beginning of what SmartGlass can bring us and as more partners come on board with Microsoft to develop unique content. The app doesn’t launch until this fall giving Microsoft and its team plenty of time to figure out exactly what to do and us plenty of time to wonder when we’ll finally be able to use it."

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
3. Re: New AMD Drivers Oct 22, 2012, 23:43 jdwohlever

Unless you own anything less than a HD 5000 which they refuse to update anymore.

News Comments > Dishonored Interactive Trailer
9. Re: Dishonored Interactive Trailer Oct 5, 2012, 07:37 jdwohlever

The minimum system requirements are a little baffling.
It says a DirectX 9 capable card with 512 VRAM., then says ATI 5850 or better. I have a 4870 and it is definitely DirectX 9 capable and has 512 VRAM.
So does that mean I can run the game or not?
Just curios why they listed the 5800 series as a minimum.

News Comments > Valve Denies Nexon Rumor
11. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 29, 2012, 09:28 jdwohlever

I'm so glad to hear this.

I'll freely admit before I read Valve/Chet/Gabe's thoughts on this
I was sweating it. I have thousands of dollars invested in Steam
that if Valve changed hands it would affect me just as much as it
would affect a shareholder, maybe more so as I might have more
invested in Valve than your average shareholder.

After reading the article I have a different understanding of how Valve's management feels.

For those who still have doubts, I think what they might not be
understanding is that Valve/Steam is Gabe's baby/child/creation.
And no matter how much money a person offered for your child,
it would never be enough.
The only way I think Gabe would ever consider selling Valve is the
same way a parent would consider putting their child up for adoption
and that would be when the parent Gabe) felt that someone else could
do better for Valve than they can.
Since Valve is not only doing "fine" under Gabe & Co., but it's
flourishing and is the pioneer in gaming going purely digital.

Being both a parent and a mod developer who has been approached
before into selling my freeware work, I think I know exactly what
Chet/Gabe is trying to say and I have a much higher degree of respect
and admiration for Valve than I did before.

News Comments > Korean Valve Bid?
25. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 16:59 jdwohlever

@RollinThundr
Really? That's your contribution to the discussion?
I thought the sign said "No Smart-Ass Jocks Allowed"

News Comments > Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt
5. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:42 jdwohlever

After all the bad press I've heard about Windows 8, I see another Windows ME coming. I fell for that garbage back in 2000. Not this time around. The way Microsoft works, it seems like every other OS release is good, then garbage.
Windows 3.0 - Turd Bucket
Windows 3.11- Great
Windows 95 - Ton of problems, so Turd Bucket
Windows 98 - Great
Windows ME - Turd bucket
Windows XP/2000 - Great
Windows Vista - Turd Bucket
Windows 7 - Great
Windows 8 - Turd Bucket
So we go bad good bad good bad etc... If you don't see a pattern here, your blind.

Sounds like all Windows 8 is good for, as it's going to be for, is mobile/tablet platforms. I think it's just being made for the Surface and some suit decided to give it the Windows 8 name. The should have named it Windows Surface OS or something like they did for Windows CE.

Don't destroy the desktop MS. There are still some us who prefer to have a PC on their desk that doesn't take batteries.

News Comments > Korean Valve Bid?
3. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 10:34 jdwohlever

I hope to God this never happens. Steam is perfect the way it is. We don't need some money hungry foreign company coming in and destroying what Valve has done. Leave Steam alone.

News Comments > The Secret World Lead Laid Off
25. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 17:01 jdwohlever

Am I the only one who sees the writing on the wall?
MMO's are DYING.
Years ago, an MMO would last at least 5 years before it became unprofitable, but now it seems they fail with 6 months.

Name any MMO's that were around 10 years ago that are still around today, I can think of only one. And to be honest, that is the main reason I don't dip into the MMO genre anymore. I don't want to spend months or years developing a character, organizing a guild, learning the ins and outs of the land and various locations, only to get shut-down once I start to become a real master at the game.

I have dedicated a lot of free time a couple of MMO's that went belly-up over the years and I really do see a trend that is speeding up. Used to be, the only online franchises I would stay away from was anything from EA, as EA has never kept a successful online experience for more than a couple years (MotorCity Online, that space one, etc) but now its seems everyone but WoW has failed at the MMO model.

Maybe if there was a re-birth of what an MMO could be, instead of always following the same cookie cutter plot, then they might have a chance.
Running through a boring town 5 times to deliver a boring message to someone about something you don't care about isn't going to hold a person's interest for long.
Why is WoW the only succesful MMO left?
Because the colorful, engaging world makes people want to be there. If you took away WoW's colorful settings and variety of locations and instances and replaced them with realistic dull environments, WoW be gone within 6 months.
You have to make people WANT to escape to your world.
PvP can't hold a person if they don't care what they are fighting for. If they made stories that people actually cared about and didn't just give you a mission that really sounds more like your a lacky fetching cookies and coffee then maybe they could get somewhere.
Think about it, if your game plot/story is so boring that people don't want to read the back story or even listen to an NPC tell you the story, then what is supposed to hold the players to your game?
They always proclaim their endgame PvP like it's some magical place you get to after sloughing through the PvE story.
I got news for you, a lot of people, myself included, play an MMO for the PvE or story first. If your story or PvE is bad then just focusing on PvP isn't going to keep players long unless your willing to nerf and buff everything they demand, which changes weekly.
Build a great enough world, with an exciting and engaging story that keeps players interested and actually caring whether there faction is winning the war. Make winning the war a real reason people would want to fight. Either remove pointless "kill ten sheep" grinding, or turn it into something more engaging that people would do anyway.
Too many rules, restrictions and heartless plot points take away not only from the players sense of purpose, but make the player feel like they are seen as non-intelligent pawns just going through the same motions in a pointless fetch quest.
If you can't make the individual feel special, or that he/she matters in the grand scheme of things, then your not going to fool many people for very long.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2012, 17:18.

News Comments > WoW Screenshot Watermarks?
13. Re: WoW Screenshot Watermarks? Sep 11, 2012, 16:22 jdwohlever

Wouldn't using something like FRAPS or Raptrs screenshot overlay keep the watermark from showing up?
If the watermark is shown all the time then that would be some sort of overlay, which is very easy to bypass as well.
Worse case scenario, alter the contrast or color depth on the image and watermark goes away pretty easy.
I was going to purchase watermark tools for my 3D art until I discovered that they don't actually promise something from being distributed or altered, but rather watermarks are only good for keeping items pristine to prove ownership or that something was unedited.
Editing a watermarked image can easily destroy the watermark at least that has been my experience when testing out various watermark methods.

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
101. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 17:04 jdwohlever

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 16:59:
100th comment

Grow up

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Expendables 2
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Expendables 2 Aug 21, 2012, 00:32 jdwohlever

I tried it, (demo) and to put it plainly, it's aweful. In fact, it's one of the worst games I've played in the last 30+ years. It is the most on-rails, skill less shoot em-up Ive ever seen.
For giggles I tried one mission where I never fired a shot and beat the level because my AI partners did all the work, and the AI are as dumb as rocks.
Not only is the AI horrid, but aiming is worse than Resident Evil 5's tank aiming. Half the time you cant tell where you are aiming, and as you can only aim in 15 degree segments which someone how are always pointed at an enemy.
Add the same stupid one liners getting repeated 50 times a mission, the fact that none of your guys die. They get super healed by one of your AI guys, and while they are being healed, no shoots at the healer.

It is a pointless, lame attempt to make a few bucks off a movie franchise.

I wouldn't take/buy the full version if someone GAVE ME to the code for free.

That's how bad it is.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2012, 18:03 jdwohlever

God, how I hate summer. With it's bugs, stifling humidity and heat. Give me sub zero temps and ice any day.

(Yes I'm a nerd, what's your point? ;)

News Comments > Dead State Kickstarter
11. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 07:54 jdwohlever

Really, another zombie game?

I've been gaming for 30+ years and developers all do the same crap...
Bleat like f'ing sheep!

First it was C&C RTS clones in the early 90's, WWII games in the mid to late 90's. 50 billion of them to the point people got sick of them.
Then in mid 2000's it was MODERN warfare games, now every since Left for Dead made some money it's been Zombie games.
/sarcasm Oooh yes.. Slow, half-retarded limping enemies that a hamster could outrun... scary! /sarcasm
So many developers listening to the suits instead of being imaginative
and producing quality titles that don't follow the "me too" crowd.
If a publisher is too afraid to sell the game you want to make, find a different publishing company.
Almost 3 out of 5 newer games lately are zombie based. And yes, I'm talking about the Indie crowd too.
If the "me too" games followed the same theme but where truly unique, then I wouldn't have a problem,
but for every good title, I can point to 5 to 10 others that follow the same exact formula except for different graphics and a different name.
A game doesn't have to follow the same freaking concept to be good.
I can name on one hand the actually good zombie games that aren't a rehash of a rehash.
DayZ mod, Left for Dead series, The Walking Dead and one or two others.
Don't believe me? Check out the Indie game section on Xbox Live.
It's almost comical.
God, I miss the day when developers cared more about making the game they WANT to make instead of making the game they NEED to make.

News Comments > Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game"
25. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game" Mar 18, 2012, 07:44 jdwohlever

I guess I'm the oddball. I for one never really like Portal or Portal 2. I like the puzzles and the 3D environments are okay, but game of the year? To me a game like Fallout 2 or Skyrim is GOTY material. I like Portal 2 for what it is, but the puzzles quickly bored me and the only part of the game that was any fun was the dialogue between the player and the robots.
Of course, I am 39 years old and have been playing games since I was 8 years old. So it's hard for me to see anything new. I am glad a game that requires thought is GOTY rather than another mindless FPS.
Is it weird that I don't like Portal/Portal 2?

News Comments > NPD Shows 20% Drop
13. Re: NPD Shows 20% Drop Mar 9, 2012, 17:58 jdwohlever

NPD is pointless. I for one, haven't bought a PC from a brick and mortar store in over 3 years. For one, you can't find any decent PC games in stores anymore and secondly, Steam digital distribution is a much better organization system for gaming anyway.
But, some suit will read this from NPD and decide they wont publish a PC game because NPD says PC gaming is dead.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Patriots Shakeup
17. Re: Rainbow Six Patriots Shakeup Mar 8, 2012, 22:23 jdwohlever

Well, honestly I did not see any game footage or screenshots. I was going purely on what the developer was saying. If what you say is true, it is a shame that he would seem to know what people wanted and just said a bunch of BS. I dont care who makes what, just give us a R6 like back in the old days. I think the last R6 game I liked was the one before they gave all the operatives "baseball caps on backwards". Once that crap started I stopped playing. Arma II is about the only realistic tactical game out there that is currently new, unless of course, someone knows of a title I dont.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
136. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 8, 2012, 11:34 jdwohlever

Drools
This Steam device sounds sexy.
Q: What better way to keep PC gaming alive?
A: Trick the console kiddies into thinking a PC game is a console game.
I hope ... really... hope that they make this.
Here is an awesome thought Valve, since you make so much money selling games,
make the device pretty cheap and don't try to make your money with the Steam PC,
but rather with the games that folks would buy to play on it. Hey, one can dream.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Patriots Shakeup
9. Re: Rainbow Six Patriots Shakeup Mar 8, 2012, 11:25 jdwohlever

This is BAD news. I read the ex-devs comments on his vision for the game.
He was wanting to being back the older R6 franchise.
You know, all the stuff that made Rainbow Six awesome before the dumned the game down into oblivion?
I bet that the R6 that will come out now while just be another run/gun/hop MW3 clone crap.
WTF you idiots!
You HAD a team who was going to do R6 justice, but all you can see is $ is in your head.
Asshats!

38 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo